closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Kinetic Revival

Craftsman

Seiko Kinetic Revival

Going to get my Seiko 5M42-0E30 going again I assume the capacitor has gone bad, but what's the difference between that and a 0E39? I can't find any history on them?

ps anyone got a battered one they want to sell i need a new seconds hand.
    Last edited by spud767; 26th January 2021 at 21:52.

Master
    Here’s a photo of mine. IMG_2362.JPG
    I bought one Brand new (late ‘90s ?) from H Samuel reduced to £99 from £129 RRP.
    I thought I was the bees knees.

Years later I’m well down the rabbit hole, frequenting this place and in a nostalgia fuelled frenzy I bought this NOS.

Still like it.

Rarely wear it !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I replaced the capacitor (or li-ion cell now, rather than capacitor) in my 0E39 just yesterday. It had been sitting in a drawer for years but works like new again now. Can’t help with any info regarding the difference between 0E30 and 0E39 though, or the new second hand.

I assume you have tried toothbrush charger or Phillips candle inductive charger?

Best used with killowat socket so you know positioning is good

I changed the capacitor in my Seiko BFK. It was only winding to move 5mins charge when you pressed the charge button.
    Back off, 3 screws, capacitor in, then back together. Now goes 30 mins when button pressed and lasts weeks.
    Very tiny screws! be careful!

P.S. Bought the capacitor off eBay, genuine part

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its these that got me into watches many years ago.
    Love em.

Craftsman
    This is mine .........

It was a present in 2000 from my partner but neither of us knew better and the watch was made in '97 which is why I was never overly impressed with the technology, probably because it was partially knackered to begin with. That sort of bugs me now as she was young and was on a very low wage but saved like mad to buy it me. I think it may have been £400 at the time.

A good few years ago I changed the capacitor but like a noob just caught the seconds hand putting it back together and they are super fragile. It's as straight as I could get it but it still bugs me.

I also bought a charger from the USA at great cost but never used it.

Anyway I have an issue which means once I think about something not right I need to get it fixed so I've ordered a new silicone strap as mine is a little tight and I've found a place to fully strip clean and service it, and change the capacitor for Li-on.

Just need a new seconds hand. Then it can go back in the drawer I did look on ebay for one for spares. Have you seen the price of them???

Also I've scoured the net for info on the model numbers but haven't turned anything up if anyone else has any ideas?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Here’s a photo of mine. IMG_2362.JPG
    I bought one Brand new (late ‘90s ?) from H Samuel reduced to £99 from £129 RRP.
    I thought I was the bees knees.

Years later I’m well down the rabbit hole, frequenting this place and in a nostalgia fuelled frenzy I bought this NOS.

Still like it.

Rarely wear it !

Never seen that model before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Never seen that model before.
    The dial is luminous.

Master

Seiko Kinetic Revival

This is mine .........

1997....... I remember it well. Spent many months lusting after this watch but could never afford one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    1997....... I remember it well. Spent many months lusting after this watch but could never afford one.

Yeah they were a lot of money when you were young. I've sent mine for a full service and new capacitor. All the oils are over 20 years old. A NOS strap is coming over from Holland so that's another £90.

A bit of a waste really but it's got to be done.

Do and can Seiko still service these?

If so I will send my one in. It was my first “expensive” watch at £400 back in 1997.

Wonder what that would be in cost today?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

If so I will send my one in. It was my first “expensive” watch at £400 back in 1997.

£400 in 1997 equates to around £732 today going by inflation.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Seiko Arctura 3m22 was the first decent watch I had. Didn't even know it was only the mid-size (or ladies) version but when I found out it was I started looking at other watches and the rest is history. Great watches though and really liked the silicon and steel bracelet. Prices aren't too bad on eBay sold ones (asking prices can be daft though).

Craftsman

Don't know about Seiko, I've sent mine here ...... https://kinetic-repairs.co.uk/seiko/index.html

He's been servicing them for as long as I can remember.

Which model number equates to the full size version of these (the black dial variant). I'm on eBay... Oh dear....

Master

Ditto, though I had the more trad Diver style one, that looked a little Rolexy (Jubilee style bracelet). I paid £325 if I remember. Of course, I was mightily pissed off after a couple of years as it wasn't that reliable as the capacitors in the early models were pretty short lived! Doh!! There is a place called Kinetic Repairs ( they seem to be still in business https://kinetic-repairs.co.uk/seiko/ ) who I sent mine to eventually, where they replaced the original movement for a newer version - at a very reasonable cost.
    Still have it actually - its now my beater and they certainly are tough! And its now remarkably accurate as well, even by quartz standards. Only bug bear is that I have to wear it pretty often to keep it alive.

Master
    Sorry - just noticed that someone else had already posted a link to the Kinetic Repairs guy. Still, that's two satisfied customers!

Cheers Chaps, very useful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Which model number equates to the full size version of these (the black dial variant). I'm on eBay... Oh dear....
    Mine is 5M42

Don't know about Seiko, I've sent mine here ...... https://kinetic-repairs.co.uk/seiko/index.html

He's been servicing them for as long as I can remember.
    I used these guys too, they also managed to get chrono all lined up too which is tricky on these apparently. I bought one of their modified winders as well which works a treat if you don’t wear it much.

Craftsman
    Stage 1 complete, NOS strap arrived from Holland with no duty fees fortunately.

Master
    Thanks for sharing this it has made me go and dig mine out.
    Bought brand new in 1996/97
    I have replaced the strap but still on the original capacitor!

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post

Craftsman

Got it back ...

Full Service
    New Titanium Carbon Lithium Ion (sounds cool but not for the planet) battery.
    New seconds hand because I couldn't live with the other one.
    Pressure Tested
    Ultrasonic cleaned

Just got to put my new OEM strap on (it's a bit tight) without wrecking anything and it's good to go.

Revival complete.
    Last edited by spud767; 11th February 2021 at 20:55.

Lovely! Really special these....

Craftsman
    Latest update is I've put my new strap on without so much as a scratch which is a miracle. Due to it's new type of battery which supposedly last months it would take a hell of a lot of shaking/wearing to fully charge. I was after the genuine Seiko induction charger which were about £40 new but I've seen them in the hundreds now. I managed to get this Dakota model ages ago but you can't just sit your watch on it as the coils are in different positions in different watches.

The strongest place for induction on the Dakota is in the centre running between 12 and 6 o'clock. The charging coil on the 5M42 runs between 8 and 10 o'clock indices facing to 1 o'clock position.
    To get the watch to charge you have to place it facing 11 o'clock pulled across to the middle of the face of the charger so the coils are aligned. So that's clear as mud then.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same watch movement and charger. My watch is at full charge so it definitely works.