closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay & Pelagos, too slab sided?

Master

Tudor Black Bay & Pelagos, too slab sided?

Once again I find myself perusing the BB58, GMT and Pelagos but all the marketing pics online seem to show quite a tall, slab sided case. it's confounding me as I am very drawn to these models.

My reference point is a 14060m or SMP which have nice slim cases, can anyone offer some real life comparisons. If possible, pics would be even better!

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Once again I find myself perusing the BB58, GMT and Pelagos but all the marketing pics online seem to show quite a tall, slab sided case. it's confounding me as I am very drawn to these models.

My reference point is a 14060m or SMP which have nice slim cases, can anyone offer some real life comparisons. If possible, pics would be even better!

Thank you.
    Pelagos maybe but does have the HEV to break up that side.

GMT Yes if the same case as the normal BB.

BB58 not at all, wear similar to the 14060m and has some lovely chamfered edges. One of the reasons I went for the BB58 was the smaller height size 39mm is a peach to wear..

Unsure in the SMP, lyre lugs make it more interesting case, but does have the HEV at 10pm.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Thank you.
    Just come out of a Pelagos LHD and it’s thicker than a ceramic sub which is thicker than a 14060

The BB GMT does have chamfer relief to the back of the case.
    The original Pelagos didn't, but the new one, I am not so sure
    And the BB58 is significently slimmer, not the same animal at all.
    D

Master
    They are great watches but this is their main flaw.

The design on all of them when viewed from an angle rather than head on is dominated by the slab sided flat looking mid case, with a thin bezel not helping to spread out the height/visual impact.

Even with the 58, albeit on a much slimmer overall height, it’s noticeable. Against my 14060, the height is similar but the profile of the 58 is very different - less broken up between casback, side and bezel.

For me, that made them a bit boring after a while (I’ve owned a few). The dial, bezel and hands are lovely but the case feels a little uninspiring. The bevelling on the lugs helps create some interesting features but I always disliked the side profile.

Still, plenty to like about them overall. The 58 is definitely the best of them imho.
    Last edited by Berty234; 25th January 2021 at 17:22.

The BB58 is very similar to the 14060 at 11.9mm compared to 12.3mm.

Approx thickness of a few watches:

16610 12.7mm

2254 12mm

SMPc 13mm

Current model Seamaster 300m Diver 13.5mm

SubC 12.7mm

Pelagos 14.3mm

Black Bay ETA 12.7mm

Black Bay COSC 14.8

I prefer the overall sizing of the 41mm black bay compared to the 58. The talk about being slab sided is due to a thicker case, and much slimmer bezel - surely a more robust solution. The chamfered case on the BB GMT disguises that look a little too. I think they look great, and if they go, I’ll look back fondly on the Big Block Tudors, which they have a history of. Mind you Rolex did a Fat Lady GMT ;)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 25th January 2021 at 17:46.
    It's just a matter of time...

I really wanted a Black Bay when they were first released but just couldn’t get over the slab sided case when I tried a few models on - a total dealbreaker for me and killed my interest in one stone dead. I have tried a BB58 and it’s a smaller watch all round - definitely not slab sided but still lacked a certain something in the case shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought and sold two Black Bay Black 41s due to the slab sides. Rejected a BB GMT due to the same. Measurement isn't bad but the look is blunt. Good value watch though compared to the MM300 and rivals, I wouldn't rule out a third BB41 or MM300. Hopefully they update it this year.

Master
    BB58 wear similar to my GMT very comfortable and thin profile in contrast to the GMT.
    Last edited by shoppy; 26th January 2021 at 17:11.

Craftsman
    Bb58 is very slim. Think it's around 11mm

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Made the same mistake and bought and sold a Black Bay. Initially thought I'd wear it on a rubber strap but obviously didnt make any difference to the thickness.

I believe GMT and Black Bay have the same proportions. EDIT - perhaps not per comments below.
    Last edited by RajLondon; 26th January 2021 at 20:26.

Craftsman
    These two photo's may help a little, though not exactly the best quality. The first is a stack from top to bottom 5513, 116610LV, BB58, BB Harrods. As you can see the side of the Harrods is much higher than the BB58 and the Rolex's. The BB58 and the 5513 have similar overall height but the BB58 has a taller case side and the 5513 has a taller bezel and slightly domed Plexiglas. The second photo is a side by side of the BB58 and 5513. I appreciate the original question was about a 14060 but they have pretty much the same dimensions as a 5513.

Master
    The Pelagos and BB41 I think are too slab sided, yes. For my taste anyway.

The GMT (I swapped my Pelagos for a GMT) while being a similar height benefits massively from having a big chamfer in the underside of the case. It slims the side profile. The GMT is 13mm thick without the crystal and 14.5mm thick ish with the crystal. As such it’s still quite a tall watch. I also own the 58 which is a very different proposition. Far slimmer snd all over a smaller watch. I am happy with it the GMT and 58 on my 7 inch wrist.

The issue with Tudor watch’s is the lack of micro adjustment. With only 3 micro adjustment positions on the clasp and no half links I have to wear my watch a tad loose or remove a link and move the biggest micro adjusting hole and then it’s too tight when I’m hot.

I actually had an additional hole added my my 58 clasp to make it more comfortable.

I've a BB S&G and thought it was chunky until I got a Pelagos! it's a bit of a liability, if you are worried about size, best avoided I think.

Craftsman
    I love the aesthetic of the Pelagos and it’s the still the most interesting Tudor to me. I had the Ur Pelagos with the ETA movement and never once incident the slab-sidedness of it.
    After a slimmer watch (11-12mm) though you might notice the extra height, I certainly found it didn’t fit under some cuffs. I see a number of mircrobrands are now releasing divers in that 11-12mm range.
    Height aside, no matter what strap or bracelet combo I tried with the Pelagos, I just found the case sharp and pointy.
    Sadly, the most uncomfortable watch I’ve ever had.
    Still love how they look though...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes, they are indeed slab sided, the 41mm emphasising this the most.

I’m somewhat slim of wrist but still have a bit of a ‘thing’ about the Black Bay range, having a Dark, Bronze, Chrono, 58 black and 58 blue. I find I can get away with the size of all but the slimmer 58s wear the best. Any slab sidedness isn’t at all noticeable on those. For the others, the Chrono has the pushers to at least detract from one side view and the Bronze is all about the size for me, so I like it’s slightly ostentatious/obnoxious presence. The dark hides it’s overall size well. I recently had a chance of an ETA powered 41mm red bezel. The slab sides were most noticeable on that one. If I’d had the cash, I’d probably have still bought it mind you!

Despite the Pelegos’ apparently very similar dimensions and side profile, I just can’t get comfortable with it. It looks great but the very adjustable, on paper fantastic bracelet, is really uncomfortable for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    i feel there is way too much discussion on the thickness of the Pelagos. I have worn mine basically every day since I got it. It is super comfortable, less thick than a lot of Omega's, the BBGMT and The in house BB 41. It is a proper dive watch it is not going to be slim, besides, there are a whole heap of people out there who don't want dainty divers. The whole concept of slim divers sort of eats away at the whole concept of buying a proper dive watch in the first place- i want some wist presence and the Pelagos gives me that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    They are great watches but this is their main flaw.

The design on all of them when viewed from an angle rather than head on is dominated by the slab sided flat looking mid case, with a thin bezel not helping to spread out the height/visual impact.

Even with the 58, albeit on a much slimmer overall height, it’s noticeable. Against my 14060, the height is similar but the profile of the 58 is very different - less broken up between casback, side and bezel.

For me, that made them a bit boring after a while (I’ve owned a few). The dial, bezel and hands are lovely but the case feels a little uninspiring. The bevelling on the lugs helps create some interesting features but I always disliked the side profile.

Still, plenty to like about them overall. The 58 is definitely the best of them imho.
    As much as I think this is quite subjective, my experience with these watches is almost identical to Rob. I've owned a BB58 and have a 14060 on my wrist now, and also tried on the Pelagos (from my friend, who's name is also Rob in fact) and the GMT (from an AD) before. The 14060 by far looks the best out of all of them on my tiny wrist. The BB58 appears fine from the top but presents quite a different look from the side.

The Pelagos and the GMT, despite looking significantly thicker, have more characters to my eyes than the BB58 (I might be biased as the pelagos looks great on my friend).

I'd say the best strategy is to try them on... and I'm sure you'd know what suits you instantly (of course Covid isn't helping).

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    These two photo's may help a little, though not exactly the best quality. The first is a stack from top to bottom 5513, 116610LV, BB58, BB Harrods. As you can see the side of the Harrods is much higher than the BB58 and the Rolex's. The BB58 and the 5513 have similar overall height but the BB58 has a taller case side and the 5513 has a taller bezel and slightly domed Plexiglas. The second photo is a side by side of the BB58 and 5513. I appreciate the original question was about a 14060 but they have pretty much the same dimensions as a 5513.
    Nice stack of watches you've got there! Like poker chips

The regular BB is too slab sided for me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The regular BB is too slab sided for me.
    Yes, same.
    The BB GMT has the chamfer of the underside which helps a little.

I can understand people’s comments re the thicker case sides, but in isolation it’s just another style of watch case. The Harrods Black Bay, which is the 41mm blockier case is one of my favourite watches for daily wear. If I wanted to wear a 5 digit Rolex case, or a pre 8400/8500 Seamaster, then I’d wear one of those instead, and I’m sure that’s the choice of many, but for the used price I’d choose the 41mm Black Bays.

I guess some of it comes down to what other watches you like the look of and are used to wearing. I’m much preferring to wear a larger watches these days, preferably 42mm+, although 41mm is fine. I don’t find a DSSD or Ploprof too big, and a fair number of my watches must have 15mm and up case thickness.

The Heritage Chrono is also very slabby. Too slabby for a daily (IMO).

Master
    I did own the original BB for a bit and found the side slabby, the BB58 is a big improvement however. Whilst I feel it’s a bit more okay for the pelagos, given its utilitarian looks. Tudor can definitely do a bit better, make the mid case slimmer and put some of the height in the case back, the watch would then compete even more with submariners, and sometimes it feels like Rolex/Tudor deliberately makes the Tudor line not quite as good on purpose. Slabby sides also puts me off some of the German brands, though it is more in their DNA.

Master
    Had an ETA Pelagos a few years ago, loved it and then one day realised how much of a beast it was. Was pondering a BB Steel bezel as well, when I saw the slab side I couldn’t unsee it. Didn’t buy the BB and sold the Pelagos, wouldn’t go back until it lost the slabsidedness.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    i feel there is way too much discussion on the thickness of the Pelagos. I have worn mine basically every day since I got it. It is super comfortable, less thick than a lot of Omega's, the BBGMT and The in house BB 41. It is a proper dive watch it is not going to be slim, besides, there are a whole heap of people out there who don't want dainty divers. The whole concept of slim divers sort of eats away at the whole concept of buying a proper dive watch in the first place- i want some wist presence and the Pelagos gives me that.
    I do get the wrist-present thing and how it's important to many wearers.

The other side of this particular coin is what intrigues me: how some brands can get 200-300m water resistance in a 12mm thick package. Personally, very wearable indeed.

But I digress...

It can’t be too difficult to make a thinner diver, if you start with the right movement. Not a dive watch, but the 5711 Nautilus is only 8.3mm with 120m WR, and it has sapphire front and back - which is used as an excuse by quite a few brands for their overly thick cases.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The Heritage Chrono is also very slabby. Too slabby for a daily (IMO).
    strange isn’t it that when people are looking at vintage Tudor chronos the preference tends to be for the big block over the Daytonaesque standard version.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Been there myself, after a lengthy research i ended up pursuing the Black Bay ETA version 79220N
    Not as thick as the in-house 79230N, and since it's discontinued & got the smiley face that resembles of the original vintage one, it's more collectible.
    They're not even old enough to be banged up too much.
    The only thing is they're getting quite pricey these days, which is what got me to stay away in the end..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    strange isn’t it that when people are looking at vintage Tudor chronos the preference tends to be for the big block over the Daytonaesque standard version.
    Some argue the big block is a better watch vs the vintage manual Daytona of the time. Automatic, date, both have valjoux movements, the vintage Daytona looks small for today’s standards (37mm with the bezel) vs 40mm of the big block.

I don’t see them as too slab sided at all.
    It’s part of the new Tudor design language and I quite like it. As has been mentioned, the dimensions are almost if not identical to the Rolex. Rolex use a much deeper domed case back which hides the depth. But I think Tudors have a much more industrial, tool watch look and look less like jewellery and more like a usable object. (Yes I know both are jewellery now)
    I am likely in the minority but I much prefer the Tudor design language over its older brother.

I had an ETA Black Bay and really loved it, yes it was slab sided but I always thought it made it very purposeful looking. I did sell it last year, which I regret (we've all been there) and pulled the pin on the Navy BB58 just before New Year. It hasn't really been off the wrist since then, smaller overall, with a thinner profile that disappears under any cuff. If I was pushed into only having one or the other I would really struggle to choose.....

I really like the Pelagos and came very close to buying, personally the slab sides were never an issue and for me the biggest turn-off was the snowflake hands. I ended up buying an Omega SMP300 instead.

I must say I really like the Tudor 1926 Black dial diamond set.

Craftsman
    I find my Pelagos LHD very comfortable to wear and I love the look. Doesn’t fit well under many shirt cuffs but it’s not meant to be a dress watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Yes Ben. Odd one that.

Looking head on at the HC, it's a beautiful thing IMO, there's just a lot of polished metal and not much else when looking at it side on.

I totally echo the slab / top-heavy comments above on the BB - I found it so uncomfortable on my wrist (Rolex ceramic Subs, old and new SDs much more comfortable). The BB58, on the other hand, sits much more nicely.

But, each to his own, so very personal / subjective - like many of these threads / questions.

Not found my BB 41mm to be too tall. It's obviously thick, but it's a diver so it fits the aesthetic. It's a look of it's own, I like that. The BB58 is better proportioned I would agree though.