closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 SRPE series (the one without the bezel)

Seiko 5 SRPE series (the one without the bezel)

I was curious about experiences with the new Seiko 5 SRPE series, the model wit a fixed bezel. With Covid it’s not possible to visit jewellers and using search I couldn’t find much here.

These have really grown on me. Looks like a versatile design. Surely there must be some owners here? Has anyone handled these in person? Hoping to get some more honest comments here.

Some pics from Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Personally, I really like the look, and am considering one.

Someone on the Watch Forum has one and loves it, reckons he wears little else since he got it.

I don't know what I'd have said a few years ago, I'd probably have bought a dozen variants of this by now, but at this point in time I think I hate these "5KX" watches.

Neither fish now fowl, the series doesn't know what it's supposed to be other than a weirdly better-specced yet less capable version of the venerable SKX. I just don't get it or what Seiko is doing to the legacy of a watch with such heritage.

Take one highly respected dive watch and make it less water resistant, make versions of it that look like kids' watches, in a stack of horrible colour schemes and with dubious tie-ins, make versions that almost could be dress watches but are too thick and with the crown in the wrong place. It just feels like they're pi**ing all over the SKX, throwing out any old design to use up the cases with little thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know what I'd have said a few years ago, I'd probably have bought a dozen variants of this by now, but at this point in time I think I hate these "5KX" watches.

Neither fish now fowl, the series doesn't know what it's supposed to be other than a weirdly better-specced yet less capable version of the venerable SKX. I just don't get it or what Seiko is doing to the legacy of a watch with such heritage.

Take one highly respected dive watch and make it less water resistant, make versions of it that look like kids' watches, in a stack of horrible colour schemes and with dubious tie-ins, make versions that almost could be dress watches but are too thick and with the crown in the wrong place. It just feels like they're pi**ing all over the SKX, throwing out any old design to use up the cases with little thought.
    That’s an interesting perspective.

Respectfully, I hold the opposite view.

It was a watch lost in time which didn’t fit in their product range and probably cannibalised their prospex offerings.

They discontinued it in its original form and have tried new and adventurous things with the design. Some work, some don’t but kudos for trying. Personally, I would have preferred a ‘King SKX’, with sapphire, applied markers, maybe a grenade dial and a 4R/6R movement. Having said that, it would look at lot like the MM200 and I can make my own through modding.

to answer the OP, I like the look of the smaller, fixed bezel 5KX but also have no experience of it. Not sure there’s room in my collection for one but curious to hear your views if you pull the trigger!

Craftsman
    Link to a thread on these from last year https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-5-range-Maybe

They wear really comfortably and the absence of the diving bezel results in a larger more readable dial IMO. I had the grey and ended up picking up a blue JDM limited edition too. The versions sold on a nato have a brushed bezel and the bracelet versions are usually polished bezel.

Thanks for posting that link! Search doesn’t seem to like short search terms like “srpe”. Used google to search the forum but hadn’t found it. Some reading to do :-)

I see some of the points on the SKX. Not sure I really see the Seiko 5 series as a true successor as some claim them to be.

Taking the SKX as a starting point the Seiko 5 series are not true dive watches eg water resistance is less (the one I am referring to here doesn’t even have a bezel).

Still from the viewpoint of the SKX, and with the SKX discontinued you can only go down (Seiko 5) or up (eg turtle, mm200 not really sure as there is no true SKX successor imho.

Still this version with bezel looks nice somehow. I had a few Seiko 5 watches, some were great like the snzh I converted to a fff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Totally agree in regard to the lookalike SKX ‘diver’ versions with dive bezel, non screw down crown and display back, but I think these look very good - more of a field watch vibe, and the different versions all look good to my eyes, and readily available on Amazon for under £200. Except the grey on nato version that I like, of course!

Craftsman
    I bought one for my son,he loves it, I wear an skx007 a lot but I would definitely wear one of these, I paid less than £200 and even the bracelet is not too bad for the price!!
    Buy one I don't think you'll regret it..
    That's my wrist in the photo not my sons! Plus a picture next to my midsized seamaster for comparison.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I bought one for my son,he loves it, I wear an skx007 a lot but I would definitely wear one of these, I paid less than £200 and even the bracelet is not too bad for the price!!
    Buy one I don't think you'll regret it..
    That's my wrist in the photo not my sons! Plus a picture next to my midsized seamaster for comparison.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. Seiko bracelets in this segment are not always great so good to know.

Ogling the blue and grey dial. Already have a grey Sinn 556 anni so the blue seems the logical choice but the grey does look stunning.

Last edited by Glen Goyne; 25th January 2021 at 22:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    Link to a thread on these from last year https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-5-range-Maybe

They wear really comfortably and the absence of the diving bezel results in a larger more readable dial IMO. I had the grey and ended up picking up a blue JDM limited edition too. The versions sold on a nato have a brushed bezel and the bracelet versions are usually polished bezel.

There's something strangely appealing about one of these.
    Out of interest what ref. is the blue dial/blue bezel jdm version.

Are they still 22mm lug width??

Blog Entries
    Hi Glen... I hope you are well sir.

Well.. I am trying stop watch investment in this New Year... however... I am thinking that the blue version on your first post a gorgeous number that would look great on my wrist.

I need to investigate further.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post

I think you are referring to the srpd51k1 (bracelet) or k2 (nato). Not sure if the JDM has a different number, there seem to be some variations as to what’s on the dial (eg made in Japan).

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Hi Glen... I hope you are well sir.

Well.. I am trying stop watch investment in this New Year... however... I am thinking that the blue version on your first post a gorgeous number that would look great on my wrist.

I need to investigate further.

Greg.
    Hi Greg! All is well here, hope the same for you.

Blue version is srpe53 (bracelet) or srpe63 (Nato). I think the nato versions come with a brushed bezel as opposed to polished on the bracelet model but very hard to tell from some pictures.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post

SBSA061

20mm lug widths on these.