closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: advice misdiagnosis

Master

advice misdiagnosis

Interested in your thoughts and possibly looking to speak to someone who can help

Following a monumental cock up I was diagnosed with leukaemia and have had to go through a rig Marole of procedures over the past 8 weeks with various tests etc .....

It now turns out that my blood samples were mixed up with someone else’s and I am actually fine which is obviously the best news and the most important thing however I’ve been advised to take consultation and wondered if there was anyone here who may be able to help

My overwhelming reaction is one of pure relief, the consultant advised that i may wish to take some advice and come back to him once the emotion has settled down

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 25th January 2021 at 14:39.

Seriously? Count your blessings, crack open a bottle of something nice with your better half and move on.

Master
    Did you suffer any harm or loss?

What is your motivation in involving lawyers?

Looks like they admitted and presumably apologised for their mistake?

Complaints and legal challenges are hobbling the NHS.

That sounds terrible and must have been an awful time for you but you've just got the best news you ever will. As draftsman says, crack open a bottle and enjoy the news.

Glad you're OK.

I'd leave it.

If I was the other guy and missed 8 weeks of potentially life saving treatment I'd maybe be less sanguine.

Master
    Wonderful news for you. Count your blessings and dont look for money...

I feel for the poor soul that was told they were fine when they weren't. Now THEY have more right to make a claim. I just hope the delay hasn't jeopardised them

Send the consultant a fancy Belstaff scarf and gloves combo and count your blessings.

Think about how the other fella's going to feel when he gets the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    "The trust agreed, via Shantala Carr, solicitor at Girlings Personal Injury Claims, to pay £75,950"

At least the OP now knows who to call. 18 months will be quite different from 8 weeks but that's some payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My mother died in the Kent & Canterbury Hospital in 1990. She was 54. The hospital failed to diagnose the stomach cancer that killed her until it was too late.

That gave me an early lesson that life and health have an element of lottery about them and that successes and failures on the part of medics are just one part of that.

I’ll drink to the OP’s good news this evening.
    Last edited by draftsmann; 25th January 2021 at 13:33.

Master
    Thanks for the prompt responses, I’m inclined to agree as ultimately I’m delighted to be given the all clear and feel for the poor sole who was given a clean bill of health who will now have a call with the same terrible news I had.

Im merely looking for advice as my relief is coupled with anger that this shouldn’t happen and the poor sole has missed out of 8 weeks of treatment

I myself have had bone marrow taken, ultra sounds, sperm samples
    frozen and was due to start chemo tablets next week all of which are insignificant in the grand scheme of things but I am angry that this has happened and as the consultant suggested I may wish to take some advice which is why I’ve asked the question

My hope is that such incidents don’t happen again money isn’t a motivation for me

Master
    Blog Entries
    Count your blessings and move on ...

Any organisation makes errors; I'm sure your case will be investigated.

Master
    I'd leave it if I were you. Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence damages are not a windfall, you only get enough to put you back to the state prior to the loss and your loss would be minimal.

SWMBO is a clinical negligence lawyer currently working on, amongst others. the Shrewsbury and Telford hospitals scandal. If you had lost a baby as a result of midwife negligence the most you would get for the bereavement would be £15,100. Out of that the lawyer would have to take around 25% due to 'reforms' to the legal system.

Daily mail types who bang on about compensation culture really don't have a clue.

There are 8 very stressful weeks that may have long term consequences.
    While the sperm sample was probably not too harsh on you, the bone marrow is usually quite uncomfortable.

At the very least I would demand an unreserved apology from the Trust (misnomer?)
    I think that some people are quite quick at dismissing your claim. I wonder how they would react if they were jailed for murder for 8 weeks before being released and told it was just a mistake.

One thing though: Please edit your title. Miss diagnosis sounds sexy but misdiagnosis would describe your situation better
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 25th January 2021 at 15:02.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Thanks for the prompt responses, I’m inclined to agree as ultimately I’m delighted to be given the all clear and feel for the poor sole who was given a clean bill of health who will now have a call with the same terrible news I had.

Im merely looking for advice as my relief is coupled with anger that this shouldn’t happen and the poor sole has missed out of 8 weeks of treatment

frozen and was due to start chemo tablets next week all of which are insignificant in the grand scheme of things but I am angry that this has happened and as the consultant suggested I may wish to take some advice which is why I’ve asked the question

My hope is that such incidents don’t happen again money isn’t a motivation for me
    This incident should invoke a Serious Incident (SI) review, where systems failures will be reviewed and lessons learned, if it were me I would ask your consultant if an SI has been initiated and to let you know of the findings.

Master
    You must have been through hell.

At the very least, you should, as you say, raise hell to get some answers as to how it happened and what they will do to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

And another comforting aspect to this is that unlike a lot of us you know after all these tests that there is currently absolutely bugger all wrong with you atm.

I’m in two minds. On one hand I would just be relieved and move on, but on the other I would want something done so that it deters, or decreases the chance of this happening again.

The ex wife used to work for the head of litigation for one of our largest local law firms, and I understand that a considerable amount of his time was taken up with medical negligence.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

That genuinely sounds awful (I did mean to put that in my OP near the top!), and must have been bloomin terrible. But I think legal advice at this stage isnt appropriate. Speak to the Trust and seek an apology (you will get it), and be assured someone will be in big trounle for this, and things will change.

As for worrying about the poor sod who doesnt know he has leukaemia; let his lawyers worry about that.

Glad you're well.

SydR
    Before you decide to go down the legal route think about what you have lost and compare that you what others will potentially lose following a healthcare provider losing money in a payout.

Outcomes:

1. Compensation for your undeserved pain, suffering, loss or earnings, etc
    - obviously you can pursue this. Hospitals carry insurance cover for this, and ultimately the money comes out of the pot for all patient treatment. But you may feel you have losses you would like recovered. Someone will be able to put a number on this. your lawyers will (as always) push for a big number.

2. Apology or blame admittance
    - the hospital is legally required to disclose all details that it can to you under the Duty of Candour rules, you can push them along if it isn't happening. Apologies are relatively easy to obtain once the hospital has completed it's internal (but independant) investigation. The CQC regards non adherance of this process as a very serious breach. Blame admittance is weird because ahead of civil court proceedings it muddies the water.

3. Prevention of future occurence.
    - this objectively is probably the most important thing for Society as a whole, but perhaps not the ill-affected. Again the Governence rules that the hospital has to adhere to are very strict and the CQC wealds the axe if the correct process is not adhered to. It is reasonbale that the Consultant in charge of the case, or Business Manager for the department feeds back to you on point 3.

Choose which of the above 1,2,3, all or none you want and is best.
    Sadly I have been part of all 1, 2 and 3, on both sides of the arguement, and in all roles apart from CQC and lawyers.
    Last edited by The Doc; 25th January 2021 at 13:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    My mother died in the Kent & Canterbury Hospital in 1990. She was 54. The hospital failed to diagnose the stomach cancer that killed her until it was too late.

Within the G&D I can’t use the language I’d like to when I read an article like this. Or, come to that, a forum post like this.
    I know how you feel-

I had exactly the same thing happen to my Dad, 6 visits to local GP, different doctors seen only to be fobbed off. By the time we actually got to see a doctor that took the time to go through everything, it was too late, within 3 weeks he had passed away with Stomach Cancer.

Two local GP’s were reprimanded Medically whatever that means, this all happened 20 years ago and still leaves a sour taste in my mouth( again don’t want to use language relative to my true feelings)
    Last edited by Rob153; 25th January 2021 at 13:11.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I wonder how they would react if they were jailed for murder for 8 weeks before being released and told it was just a mistake.

:
    Probably quite differently but then it’s a completely different situation and not at all comparable to the OPs situation.

Master
    It was a genuine mistake, move on and pray for the person that is actually ill.

Master
    Urgh what a truly awful experience I’m so sorry to hear you (and the other person) had to go through this. Dreadful

As for your question... I think only you can decide what you feel to be the right thing to do. Everyone will have a different opinion, but few will have been through what you have. I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you decided to pursue the trust though, especially if that went some way to making sure this didn’t happen again.

Pursuing a £claim could result in more stress over at least several months.

If was me, I'd discuss very thoroughly with my GP.

Do you still have any symptoms?
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Probably quite differently but then it’s a completely different situation and not at all comparable to the OPs situation.
    Please explain how it is completely different? I am sure that someone who has lived both scenarii could elaborate, but other than that, your life is put on hold for 8 weeks, your level of stress is probably comparable and unless you make the news (which, I agree, would completely change the issue) it's all a mistake in the end, count yourself lucky and move on!

* Actually you are right, there is a difference: in my example you know you didn't commit murder, so despite the "inconvenience" of being locked up, you can have enough faith in the system to believe you will prevail.

There are 8 very stressful weeks that may have long term consequences.
    While the sperm sample was probably not too harsh on you, the bone marrow is usually quite uncomfortable.

At the very least I would demand an unreserved apology from the Trust (misnomer?)
    I think that some people are quite quick at dismissing your claim. I wonder how they would react if they were jailed for murder for 8 weeks before being released and told it was just a mistake.

One thing though: Please edit your title. Miss diagnosis sounds sexy but misdiagnosis would describe your situation better :icon_biggreen:
    Agree 100%, and was about to type something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    It was a genuine mistake, move on and pray for the person that is actually ill.
    Thoughts and prayers, eh? That will help.

Master
    Thanks for the feedback, there’s some great advice and interesting thoughts.

I’ve amended the thread title as clearly Miss diagnosis does sound like some sort of sexual reference as pointed out by a fellow member ;)

It’s been a whirlwind time and throughout it all I was convinced it wasn’t happening as hadn’t showed any symptoms.

it only came up after I had a blood test for high cholesterol originally back in November and the whole thing was a complete shock.

I like the idea of writing to the trust as advised here which would see this matter being looked into in the hope it doesn’t happen again but then is that more strain

I have a copy of the letter passed to my consultant from the haematology department which confirms human error with the pressures of the Covid pandemic being a likely contributing factor

'My initial reaction is one of pure relief' - I'd change that as 'my reaction is one of pure relief'.

Glad things are ok for you.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

first if all glad you are in the clear in all of this....

the money from any claim is irrelevant as you could donate it back the hospital that it came from if you wish
    what needs to be checked is that they have a review of their procedures and pursuing a claim is the first stage to make that happen and this incident not get swept under a carpet

I understand that you're emotional and angry OP and as others have said, it's going to be a lot worse for the poor sod who lost a treatment period. I agree with Mr Smith's point of view below, knowing that you're well and without anything nasty going on should be a huge relief and of great comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    And another comforting aspect to this is that unlike a lot of us you know after all these tests that there is currently absolutely bugger all wrong with you atm.

Master
    I would let it settle for a bit, see how you feel in a week or month. It won’t affect what happens but it will allow you to operate with a calm head.

Personally, I wouldn’t be out for blood, mistakes happen and doctors are only human. However, this is an awful thing that’s happened to you and you have a right to understand what happened, why it happened and whether it’s likely to happen again.

From there you will be better placed to decide what to do next.

But, that is seriously awful. I don’t know your family dynamic but presumably you may have had to have some very hard conversations with your children, parents, work, partner etc

Master
    It is a horrible thing that has happened, but it was an unfortunate mistake. There is a national shortage of medical staff and during this time of overload the last thing anyone wants is a disciplinary case hanging over their head for what will be the best part of a year. Medical staff will make mistakes and most of them are decent people with a conscience. They will be feeling full remorse but ruining their career is not the answer.

I have a wife who is recovering from a stroke and needs all the medical attention she can get. Loosing staff over a mistake has more consequences than you first think.

Hard as it may be, move on with your life.

There seems to be an assumption that the other person will have been at the same point of assessment and diagnosis as Robert was and will therefore had a delay to diagnosis and treatment. How likely is that to be the case, or rather than their first set of blood tests might this have been a later one for them? I suppose if they had already been diagnosed then a unexpectedly clear set of blood results would've triggered further investigations?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Please explain how it is completely different? ...
    Nope.
    Its only my view point and if you want to argue the toss whether I’m right or wrong then that’s your prerogative but I won’t be joining in as it isn’t the thread for it.

As far as the OP is concerned I am glad to hear that he isn’t ill. If it were me I would sleep on any decision for a while. I would imagine that the first two feeling would be relief & anger but that the best response would be a considered one. One that is best for all concerned.

Master
    I spent several years pursuing a legal claim for an industrial injury which resulted in me suffering with a mental breakdown, due to the stress. Due to my then "mental state" I was advised to accept a much lower figure to settle (equivalent to half a year's salary), as it was thought that I may not perform well under questioning! I left a professional job and spent the remainder of my working life (around 8 years) doing part time work on minimum wage! Would I do it again? No! Enjoy life!

Master
    I can imagine what the last 8 weeks were like. I had really bad pneumonia a few years ago and was in hospital for a while. They found a shadow the size of a tennis ball on my lungs and in a quite dramatic phone call I was told it was a very good chance of being lung cancer. I spent the next few days googling my chances of survival! When I got the results a few days later I was clear and the Doctor told me I shouldn't have had anything implied to me in a phone call and he offered an apology. I was unbelievably relieved. Then I got a letter confirming all this that included . . . . .

'The patient feels that even though he worked in a mine in South Africa, he doesn't feel that this contributed to his illness'.

A. I've never been to South Africa.
    B. I've never worked in a mine!

At my follow up consultation I tried to make light of it by telling the Consultant he needed to brush up on his copy and paste skills!