closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stem Sizing

Stem Sizing

Can anyone please advise. I haven't done this before and don't wish to ruin it. I have a new stem and screw down, spring loaded crown to fit. I have watched several youtube videos but they do it differently each time. What measurement do I take to calculate the amount of excess stem to remove? Is it A or B. Or is it something else entirely. Should I compress the crown spring before measuring? Please excuse my poor drawing. Thanks.

Grand Master
    Just keep taking a small amount off till it works OK. The crown needs to be able to screw down fully, but clear the starter thread by approx 0.25mm when unscrewed. You can feel when its right. When you’re happy with it secure the crown with a spot of threadlock. I use a diamond file plate for trimming stems to size.

Thanks. So I'd be looking at the 'B' measurement, minus 0.25 mm? There's quite a bit of excess length to remove so thought I would clip off a bit before filing down. Maybe to within 1mm of the ideal length.

Grand Master
    Be very careful if trying to 'clip' the length, you'll end up bending the stem. I cut them using a diamond file edge, leaving approx. 1mm too long, then use the flat diamond file to take the length down gradually. trying to cut them using snips will bend the stem. Measuring with vernier calipers helps, you can check how much you're taking off.

I can`t advise based on your dimensions, too many variables. Just do it my way and do it slowly with a file across the end. Expect to spend at least 20 mins doing this job, don`t try to rush it. Keep trying it till it's right.

Cutting a stem to fit a screw-down crown isn`t an easy job if you lack experience.

Thanks. Very much appreciate your time and advice. It's another Seiko mod I'm constructing. Previously I have used an sarb059 crown and stem for mods as it was so easy. I can't do that with the current project so am being forced into learning how to do it. Not a bad thing. Cheers.