closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question on time keeping

Journeyman

Question on time keeping

So I will drop it in for a service once shops open, but I just wondered if this is a symptom of something.

In wear the watch is very accurate +- a couple of seconds a day at most.

It came with a winder that, until recently, I never used, but decided to try it just to keep the calendar etc synced. I noticed it was losing about 8 seconds a day. Experimenting I found if left face up it loses about 11 seconds a day, face down it gains about 4 and on its side Crown up it loses a whopping 18 seconds.

Life and watches. More than I need less than I want.

thats normal, fuss about nothing

Craftsman
    Just wondering what movement you have in your watch, but it sounds that it is still running with in factory specs unless it is a COSC movement.

All watches vary with position.

Years ago Rolex had a little leaflet to tell you about it and how to figure out what your watch did.
    That way when you took it off at night you could use the position needed for it to catch up or slow down a bit.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. Appreciate the reassurance.

Grand Master
    Be aware that the state of wind will affect the timekeeping too. Once the amplitude falls significantlybellow 200 degrees all bets are off, not only will the rate differ very significantly but tge relationship between positions can change.

As ever, my advice is to ensure tge watch us in a high state of wind, wear it 16 hrs and leave it dial- up overnight. Make a note of the time vs a reliable source and see what the rate looks like. ‘ on the wrist’ and a dial- up rate.

If you wish to check the rate in one position be sure the watch us in a high state of wind when you start measuring and check it after around 8 hrs.

If the watch keeps good time in normal wear that’s the most important parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    All watches vary with position.

Years ago Rolex had a little leaflet to tell you about it and how to figure out what your watch did.
    That way when you took it off at night you could use the position needed for it to catch up or slow down a bit.
    That the one

Blog Entries
    In wear the watch is very accurate +- a couple of seconds a day at most.
    sounds perfect to me. it’s going in for a service because?

what brand / model is it?

Martyn.

Journeyman
    Thanks, I agree, which is all I usually worry about. It was starting to use the winder that suddenly showed the difference. It's an A. Lange and Sohne Langematic Perpetual.

I believe ALS time in 5 positions, and some of the differences do sound quite wide. It’s probably one of the few brands I would have serviced a little more regularly though, especially if I had any concern over the time keeping. Any internal damage could no doubt lead to hefty future repair bills. I’d assume it’s a long wait to get your watch back though once sent in for servicing.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I believe ALS time in 5 positions, and some of the differences do sound quite wide. It’s probably one of the few brands I would have serviced a little more regularly though, especially if I had any concern over the time keeping. Any internal damage could no doubt lead to hefty future repair bills. I’d assume it’s a long wait to get your watch back though once sent in for servicing.
    It's chicken and the egg at the moment as the showroom is of course closed. I would rather drop it off rather than post it.

Absolutely, I wouldn’t be posting an ALS - well not without full insurance, which is just added cost, especially if you can just wait a little while and walk in.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That the one

Obviously gravity is at work here. I have always used dial up and crown up to regulate the rate of difference but I will have to try the crown down method also, really useful info guys, thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Graveworm View Post
    Thanks, I agree, which is all I usually worry about. It was starting to use the winder that suddenly showed the difference. It's an A. Lange and Sohne Langematic Perpetual.

That is quite a watch indeed, and one you probably would want to stay wound as I am sure it takes some time to reset it once stopped. I would hate to see the bill for that service, but of course one would take that into account when purchasing it. Not a watch that you can have someone on the street service, and I would agree that it would be better to have the AD take it in and send it out to ALS instead of posting it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    if its -+2 when worn, its fine.

Winders do show up positional variations in timekeeping as the watch will only ever be on its side either crown up/down or somewhere in between so often "worsen" timekeeping.
    When worn, it gets the full variation in movement that its been regulated to run +-2 at, if that makes sense.

I keep 2 autos on a winder and one gains 6 seconds a day on it while running 0/0 when wearing.
    I dont think ive ever checked the timekeeping of the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That the one

That Rolex leaflet has been doing the rounds for years. It's far too general to cover all mechanical watches. If you want to find out specific positional variances for any watch you own, a timegrapher is the quickest means of doing so. In the absence of one, careful manual monitoring is the answer, against a time signal like Time.is.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    That Rolex leaflet has been doing the rounds for years. It's far too general to cover all mechanical watches. If you want to find out specific positional variances for any watch you own, a timegrapher is the quickest means of doing so. In the absence of one, careful manual monitoring is the answer, against a time signal like Time.is.
    Agreed, I believe when Rolex used to add these leaflets to their watches it was in the days before they utilised a free sprung balance, the calibre 1520, 1530 etc.

Doing these position changes to a modern Rolex will not achieve the same results, with a free sprung balance it depends on the poise of the balance itself and condition of the hairspring amongst other things.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    That is quite a watch indeed, and one you probably would want to stay wound as I am sure it takes some time to reset it once stopped. I would hate to see the bill for that service, but of course one would take that into account when purchasing it. Not a watch that you can have someone on the street service, and I would agree that it would be better to have the AD take it in and send it out to ALS instead of posting it.
    It's not terrible to reset if it stops for a few days as it has a pusher that advances everything but a winder is more convenient, which may be why the box is a winder. I will keep an eye on it and get it checked out once I am able. Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries

Cool

OP: I’ve just been reading about your watch online. What a corker!!

If you have time to share further details and pictures as it is not the run of the mill timepiece seen around here. It would be great to hear more about it.

Martyn.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP: I’ve just been reading about your watch online. What a corker!!

If you have time to share further details and pictures as it is not the run of the mill timepiece seen around here. It would be great to hear more about it.

Martyn.
    Happy to. I am not sure what details would be interesting. It's a little heavy but wears very well. The lume on the month and day hands always strikes me as incongruous and you would really need to wear it a lot to make use of that in low light. The way the second hand zeros is something I wish more watches did. It's the only watch I have that does that.
    The company seem very good but this is my only watch from them. I really like it and its a dial that is really pleasing to look at, despite being pretty busy.
    Pictures wise I took one Friday and I have a couple more here if that helps.