closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont

Master
    Blog Entries

Bremont

WhenI first saw this brand it was a meh moment,but of late I’m thinking I might like one.What’s the opinion of owners past or present,thanks for any info.

Hugely underrated in my opinion. Available at prices well below RRP and very good value. Go for it.

Nice enough watches but not convinced on the price - or the whole company backstory - bought an MBII at around 25% discount and ended selling at a very small loss as just couldn't convince myself it was worth the coin.

I loved the look, but disliked the bezel action of the first series of Supermarine divers, and also the fact they had a day of the week displayed on the disland, on a dive watch!

However, since then I’ve owned a few different models, and still have three. A Terra Nova, Solo, and an Alt1C.

At full price I probably wouldn’t consider one, but bought as a used buy or at a large discount they make a lot more sense to me.

I like the cases, and the dials. For the most part they are very legible watches and fit my need of a min 100m WR, look nice (to me at least) and large enough for my bigger wrists.

There are a few other models I really like too. 10th Anniversary MB (which I’d bought at 50% off in the sales earlier in the month, only for it to be cancelled!), the Endurance, and the Supermarine 500.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m thinking a nice used example ,save the deprecation .

Quite a few still on offer here at 40% off, which in some cases is very close or even cheaper than some used prices!

https://www.burrells.co.uk/collectio...ice-descending

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quite a few still on offer here at 40% off, which in some cases is very close or even cheaper than some used prices!

That they have sat there for weeks even with 40 or 50% off is surely a story in itself?

Burrell’s is not the most mainstream of jewellers, how would you expect them to sell.

There are a number of different models from a few brands on there that could no doubt be bought and sold immediately for more.

But, I really don’t get the point you are making. If you were already looking at the brand, and if they had a model that you were interested in, then it’s a huge saving.

If you don’t like them, don’t buy them.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That they have sat there for weeks even with 40 or 50% off is surely a story in itself?
    Food for thought ,thanks.

Great watches, great brand. Definitely buy used or on sale like any other brand, no different really.

Maybe word is out that if you buy a watch from Burrells outlet section you’re likely to end up with a second hand watch that someone has attacked with a hammer and chisel?

Blog Entries
    I had one. I think they are very well made. And there is talk that the movement manufacture is being brought in-house in Oxfordshire.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...h-watchmaking/

Us Brits love to bash anything home made - it's a traditional pastime. Credit where credit is due it's good to see watch making in the UK again. It is after all the home of Rolex (oops sorry!)..

You can get discounts in the sale seasons - try some on!

Martyn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Maybe word is out that if you buy a watch from Burrells outlet section you’re likely to end up with a second hand watch that someone has attacked with a hammer and chisel?
    Bit harsh. I'm sure there is a 14d return policy if not up to your standards.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Nice enough watches but not convinced on the price - or the whole company backstory - bought an MBII at around 25% discount and ended selling at a very small loss as just couldn't convince myself it was worth the coin.
    I bought that! It was my third Bremont and I think they're terrific watches if you buy second hand or at a discount. Distinct design, good build quality, interesting case design, excellent shock resistance and hardened cases: they have a lot going for them if you like the look. You don't often see them 'in the wild' and to be honest I think many people who think they're 'nothing special' haven't actually handled one. Everyone who handled mine was impressed with the quality, even if they didn't like the design.

I'll admit I can see why the company backstory doesn't convince everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Bit harsh. I'm sure there is a 14d return policy if not up to your standards.
    given that it's the legal minimum that you have 14 days to indicate a return - I'd certainly hope so!

Bremont

Because they are highly unpopular models.

I would happily take a U2 or MBII at 50% off.

I bought an MB2 from SC about 8 years ago. Worn it pretty much constantly ever since. I particularly like the case design, found it to be very durable, wears nicely, I really really like it. If I think about the pleasure I’ve got from it then worth every penny but as others have said, I’d probably also look for a good used example.

As for the company, they’re investing in building more of the parts in their supply chain, that’s a good thing in my view they should get praise for. As for all the peripheral debates, you could take a thread from any point in the last 6 or 7 years and it’ll read the same. Either all that bothers you or it doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Because they are highly unpopular models.

I would happily take a U2 or MBII at 50% off.
    I believe the Alt1C is one of their best selling ranges - one of the ones on there is cheaper than anywhere else fir a bloody used one. Go figure.

& you could have bought a MBII or MBIII or Supermarine for between 40% and 50% off from Burrell’s and Watches of Switzerland earlier this month.

Master
    I brought my all black Supermarine 500 (in a new year sale at 25% off) not long after starting my watch journey around 8 or 9 years ago. There have been many watches come and go since then, but the SM500 has been the one constant. I love everything about it - the unique case design, the mill styling, the sapphire crystal bezel insert, the dial and hand set. The rubber strap it came on is the best rubber I’ve ever had.
    As with all other watch brands, I don’t like every watch they produce, nor do I get involved in the “heated discussions” that Bremont threads invariably lead to. All I know is that I really like my Bremont watch.

Master
    Sorry hate to seem to be Bremont bashing of late, buts it’s assembled in Henley Oxford, with Swiss movements, named after a French farmer and then has London on the dial for some reason...is there clear explanation as to why it’s London, as oppose to Swiss, Henley, Oxford, Trafford Shopping Centre Manchester...

Aside from this confusion, I have handled a few at the Royal Exchange Bremont Boutique and the MB line is built like the proverbial outbuilding

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks gents,just need to sell my Tudor and check the piggy bank.

Think it all depends on what you want from a watch. I've owned 9 Bremont's still have 7 which I prefer to wear above others I own 14060m, Pam 1B, couple of seamasters, breitling b1. Ive also moved on an IWC utc and cartier.

For me I'm not interested in if the movement is in house, ETA or whatever as long as it is reliable and keeps good time.
    What is important to me is looks, and wearability.
    For me my Bremonts are my go to watch. Less likely to get noticed and attract unwanted attention. Also alot less common. My local tesco express cashier has a Rolex deepsea, but I do live a stones throw from Sandbanks.
    Never buy at RRP.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don’t doubt the build quality it’s just how they are trying to build the brand by bought-in association or referencing heritage they haven’t got.
    If they could steer clear of naming their models after long gone icons I’d give them my money.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Sorry hate to seem to be Bremont bashing of late, buts it’s assembled in Henley Oxford, with Swiss movements, named after a French farmer and then has London on the dial for some reason...is there clear explanation as to why it’s London, as oppose to Swiss, Henley, Oxford, Trafford Shopping Centre Manchester...

Aside from this confusion, I have handled a few at the Royal Exchange Bremont Boutique and the MB line is built like the proverbial outbuilding

Isn’t Henley in the London Television Region lol

Does it really matter what they put on the dial? I’m guessing their main show rooms are in London ;)

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    I don’t doubt the build quality it’s just how they are trying to build the brand by bought-in association or referencing heritage they haven’t got.
    If they could steer clear of naming their models after long gone icons I’d give them my money.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I couldn’t care less about their back story or borrowed heritage. They are trying to build a brand. They’ve got a distinctive look, which for the most part I like, and the watches are of a high enough quality to enjoy. They also have pretty high levels of customer service, support and servicing.

I also don’t find much offensive in naming a watch Supermarine, Hercules or Martin Baker etc. They are only names, and quite a lot of brands do similar. I do find the Ronnie Woods watches a little funny, and maybe Zenith thought they had an agreement using the Rolling Stones, but what the hell it’s only a bit of fun.

Master
    Isn’t Henley in the London Television Region lol

Does it really matter what they put on the dial? I’m guessing their main show rooms are in London ;)

I couldn’t care less about their back story or borrowed heritage. They are trying to build a brand. They’ve got a distinctive look, which for the most part I like, and the watches are of a high enough quality to enjoy. They also have pretty high levels of customer service, support and servicing.

I also don’t find much offensive in naming a watch Supermarine, Hercules or Martin Baker etc. They are only names, and quite a lot of brands do similar. I do find the Ronnie Woods watches a little funny, and maybe Zenith thought they had an agreement using the Rolling Stones, but what the hell it’s only a bit of fun.
    The Stephen Hawking Bremont watch with bits of his desks in the case is just plain weird, but yer just a watch, we shouldn’t take this too seriously! But seriously strange...

The Stephen Hawking Bremont watch with bits of his desks in the case is just plain weird, but yer just a watch, we shouldn’t take this too seriously! But seriously strange...
    It’s definitely not for me, but no stranger than a Romaine Jerome Titanic or similar.

I guess if you really liked Hawking you might want something.

I can slightly better understand the Wright Flyer as a concept - plus it looks a lot better as a watch than the Hawking model ;)

Master
    It’s definitely not for me, but no stranger than a Romaine Jerome Titanic or similar.

I guess if you really liked Hawking you might want something.

I can slightly better understand the Wright Flyer as a concept - plus it looks a lot better as a watch than the Hawking model ;)
    Despite the controversy of both models they are good looking, the rrp are a bit eye watering, needs a really heavy discount from barrels/WoS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    I don’t doubt the build quality it’s just how they are trying to build the brand by bought-in association
    But many companies build their brand through bought-in association, don’t they? Rolex has been using brand ambassadors since the 1920s. It’s an old game! Tudor sponsors David Beckham, Oris sponsored Nico Rosberg in Formula 1, and so on.

The three main boutiques are in London and their first ever boutique is one of them. Aston Martin don't advertise as a German brand even though they have Mercedes engines so why should a watch brand advertise as Swiss just because they have a Swiss engine? (nothing to stop them doing so of course if they wish, if it's not breaking any laws). Bremont have made no secret of the fact that they're proud to be British and although it's not currently possible, have a hope one day of having their watches completely made in England so London fits. (Let's face it, you could survey a cross section of people from north of Watford as to where Henley is and many wouldn't have a clue so there's no hope of the international market knowing)

I believe the Alt1C is one of their best selling ranges - one of the ones on there is cheaper than anywhere else fir a bloody used one. Go figure.
    It is but I don't think that particular model is a good seller. Still a beautiful well built watch and worth every penny for someone who wants one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    The three main boutiques are in London and their first ever boutique is one of them. Aston Martin don't advertise as a German brand even though they have Mercedes engines so why should a watch brand advertise as Swiss just because they have a Swiss engine? (nothing to stop them doing so of course if they wish, if it's not breaking any laws). Bremont have made no secret of the fact that they're proud to be British and although it's not currently possible, have a hope one day of having their watches completely made in England so London fits. (Let's face it, you could survey a cross section of people from north of Watford as to where Henley is and many wouldn't have a clue so there's no hope of the international market knowing)
    You think too little of the people north of Watford

Always liked the Supermarine model but for some reason I e never went and purchased it...

Their best model for me personally is the Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT, that thing is gorgeous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Always liked the Supermarine model but for some reason I e never went and purchased it...

Their best model for me personally is the Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT, that thing is gorgeous...

I love the three handler of that model line, and had agreed to buy one, again at a 50% discount (which as a level of discount has been quite rare in more recent years until Covid), but the AD sent me images that showed more wear than I was comfortable with, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    It is but I don't think that particular model is a good seller. Still a beautiful well built watch and worth every penny for someone who wants one.
    I actually thought it was one of the more popular and better looking versions of the Alt1 - using the more modern sub dial layout, compared to the older traditional 7750 layout. In any case, it’s cheaper by more than £200 than any used example I can see for sale or sold recently.

If I hadn’t bought the Bi-compax version earlier in the year, I’d definitely have bought it myself.

Some of their models catch my eye but I really find the brand repulsive for some reason, struggle to think of it in a positive light so whatever they're doing with this confused/desperate marketing doesn't feel authentic to me and from what I read it turns others off too.

But I admit there is some classy, very clean, design going on.

I can see why certain brands, their advertising, or even just how some people believe how the brand is perceived are enough to put them off.

Some people hate Rolex, Grand Seiko, Patek, Longines, Cartier, Omega, Tissot, or Christopher Ward and even Dan Henry. All for their own reasons.

Luckily there are so many good quality options today that it really doesn’t matter much if one or two brands turn you off. Obviously it would be good for some brands to amend things to try and improve their products, product placement, or image, but sometimes the approach they are taking is part of the reason for their growth - so they may be less inclined to pander to a certain area of the market or demographic.

I have owned a few Bremonts over the years and they have all been excellent. I sold the EP 120 and P51 for a huge profit but kept the special MB and S2 that Nick and Giles made for me. Originally I liked the propeller-shaped rotors of the Spitfire and Mustang watches but eventually went right off them - same reason I managed to resist the reissue of the Blancpain Air Command - always wanted one of those but thought that rotor was just a bit naff in the end.

I always thought that the MB is kind of a modern day Sub in many ways, the sort of watch that does everything - I know quite a few “non-watch” people who have one as their only watch and bought it in preference to the default-choice Sub - they just wanted something different. In reference to that old adage, one friend made me laugh when he said that he didn’t need to prove to his mother that he had “made it”.

I also like the idea that it’s a British success story too and that the two brothers are so accessible - they welcome anyone to their workshop to see the watches being built and put on some good events. Makes a change from the anonymous and enormous Swiss brands, particularly anything owned by Richemont or Swatch.

At one time I had over 50 watches, mostly military including some rarities like a SAAF 5012 Lemania, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 3H Bund, Hanhart 417ES etc but for years I wore the MB exclusively. The MB is tough too - I’ve knocked it in aircraft cockpits and on car roll cages countless times and there’s not a mark on it. That said, it seems to be one of few modern watches that still looks OK when it’s been knocked about, although the three piece case design means you can just replace the top bezel instead of having the entire case refinished.

If I was to keep just one watch, reckon it would be that MB.

Regards

Jon.
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 24th January 2021 at 16:46.

I’m sure you all know this but the story behind the MB is quite interesting too - presumably due to their aviation links the English brothers were asked by Martin Baker to build a watch that would not break when subjected to the G force of an ejection seat - Rolex, Omega and all the others flew apart - shades of NASA testing back in the ‘60s? The solution was the Faraday cage that holds the movement.

Martin Baker now present ejectees with a watch instead of a tie - far more desirable!

Regards

Jon.
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 24th January 2021 at 16:42.

Craftsman
    I’ve like Bremont since they first launched and it was my first luxury purchase, an Alt1-c with the anthracite dial. Funnily enough you can get this from Ernest Jones on bracelet for £2,900 which is brilliant value for that watch:

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/websto...racelet+watch/

I’ve had an MBII white dial, which I only sold as I bought the 10th Anniversary and they were too similar

I also have a S300 Black, which is a fantastic watch and at 40mm much more wearable every day than the Alt1 for example. I also decided to buy a Hercules as I love the design and the case back is magnificent, in terms of using aviation history, creating a wooden rotor is a nice touch and relevant to the piece.

In terms of value, you’re taking a bath on residuals so need to buy when deep discounts are available, but this isn’t a Bremont phenomenon, buy a Breitling, Chopard or Zenith and the pre-owned value will be painful

The Hercules below:

Thanks for posting your experiences Jon.

I forgot that I’ve spoken with Giles at the Isle of Man AD, and that they now sponsor the official TT timekeeping. Giles came across as very enthusiastic and passionate - I guess he would with so much invested in making Bremont a success.

Of course some things will be gimmicks, but others are occasionally just very nice design cues.

I doubt I’d ever sell my Terra Nova, and on some ways it’s a fairly ideal holiday/weekend watch for me. The others do just like, but they could come or go easily enough. I don’t have anything special having been made for me though, and that must be a little special.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    I also like the idea that it’s a British success story too and that the two brothers are so accessible - they welcome anyone to their workshop to see the watches being built and put on some good events. Makes a change from the anonymous and enormous Swiss brands, particularly anything owned by Richemont or Swatch.
    Hear, hear.

I'm convinced we Brits often (unconsciously) put down British watches. Bremont and Christopher Ward — successful start-ups despite a mature market — both take more stick than some new brands from overseas. N'est-ce pas?

I’m sure you all know this but the story behind the MB is quite interesting too - presumably due to their aviation links the English brothers were asked by Martin Baker to build a watch that would not break when subjected to the G force of an ejection seat -

“Rolex, Omega and all the others flew apart”

- shades of NASA testing back in the ‘60s? The solution was the Faraday cage that holds the movement.

Regards

Jon.

Is that “” really correct? As many people have ejected from a MB seat wearing those two brands, amongst many others, over the years, with seemingly no ill effects to their watches.

Master
    It makes a change to ask ‘Can I wear my watch while using my ejector seat?’ instead of ‘Can I wear my watch while in the shower?’

Is that “” really correct? As many people have ejected from a MB seat wearing those two brands, amongst many others, over the years, with seemingly no ill effects to their watches.
    Well, that’s what the bloke at Martin Baker said, something about withstanding up to 30G if I recall. I suspect many watches may have been damaged when they hit something on exiting the cockpit, ejection sounds very violent, potentially damaging the spine by compression etc.

Didn’t know about the TT - that’s interesting. Nick has always had bikes and they have made a watch or two with Norton.

Regards

Jon.
    Last edited by StampeSV4; 24th January 2021 at 19:57.

Martin Baker now present ejectees with a watch instead of a tie - far more desirable!

Regards

Jon.
    Martin Baker still present ejectees with a tie and the ejectee is able to purchase a Bremont MB1 with red barrel - available exclusively to those who have made an emergency ejection using a Martin Baker seat. The club is actually called the 'Ejection Tie Club.'

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Martin Baker still present ejectees with a tie and the ejectee is able to purchase a Bremont MB1 with red barrel - available exclusively to those who have made an emergency ejection using a Martin Baker seat. The club is actually called the 'Ejection Tie Club.'
    Ah, makes sense, presenting a watch each time would be expensive. Interesting link, thanks for posting. If you buy the MB1 I think they engrave your club number on the caseback?

Regards

Jon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

The main issue with that watch is its thickness. Looks fine from that angle but the case back adds another ~3mm onto it.
    The Boeing range is discontinued now so you can probably snap a bargain up from retailers wanting to clear stock.

Grand Master
    I like them, albeit slightly bias as I was a Project leader for them but will add balance to the debate after working in the Luxury watch world booth new and preowned and say that they make very good pieces for very reasonable money and whilst its a marketing snobs game mostly they represent good quality and value in a grossly overinflated market. Reliable, sturdy and solid.

Testiment to this is that despite being able to own and wear almost anything on the market its my S300 (and Omega PO) that I settle with 99% of the time and without being billy big bollocks I have worn them all from RM’s to Pateks to Platinum Daytona’s and settled with the simplicity and value of Bremont
    RIAC

Good to see a healthy discussion on Bremont.
    In the past anytime Bremont name was mentioned, it always became about their backstory, movement fiasco or their tendency to incorporate some bits in their watches etc.
    What was getting lost is the fact they make some pretty decent watches.
    Their pricing structure is still unrealistic but I don’t think quality is ever in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I like them, albeit slightly bias as I was a Project leader for them but will add balance to the debate after working in the Luxury watch world booth new and preowned and say that they make very good pieces for very reasonable money and whilst its a marketing snobs game mostly they represent good quality and value in a grossly overinflated market. Reliable, sturdy and solid.

Testiment to this is that despite being able to own and wear almost anything on the market its my S300 (and Omega PO) that I settle with 99% of the time and without being billy big bollocks I have worn them all from RM’s to Pateks to Platinum Daytona’s and settled with the simplicity and value of Bremont
    Presumably the S300 Airborne model you arranged? I really liked the subtle details on the dial/rehaut.