closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bremont

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I want to like them but . . .
    They look like the sort of watch worn by 40 or 50-something ex-Sandhurst officer type in red trousers with a barn conversion in Oxfordshire. Private school, good regiment (or poss. RAF). Might have a classic car or a light aircraft.
    Of the two lads I know who own a Bremont, both are ex military but one is this exact person... Still serving as a Lt.Col in the reserves, full on red trousers, 2 classic 911s and a barn conversion in Devon. He is good egg though!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I have purple cords...will they do?
    Quite probably, if you can adopt an aloof disposition when wearing or even trying on any Bremont watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Of the two lads I know who own a Bremont, both are ex military but one is this exact person... Still serving as a Lt.Col in the reserves, full on red trousers, 2 classic 911s and a barn conversion in Devon. He is good egg though!
    Well, it takes all sorts. If you aim your brand at military and aviation, then you will obviously attract some current and ex military. Not sure Bremont have anything like that demographic ownership or similar sphere than Rolex, Omega, Longines, or even G-Shock.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Really yummy wife and a dog or two? Cricket or rugby but not football? Woodburning stove? Good shoes (Loake or Church's)?

Decent chap. Nice fellow.

Has his eye on his 80 year old dad's bi-metal Datejust but likes his Bremont. Might even be called Nick or Giles himself.

In a novel he would be a minor character. Not quite ballast but not terribly interesting. He might inadvertently make an important observation or provide some very light comic element, all unwittingly of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quite probably, if you can adopt an aloof disposition when wearing or even trying on any Bremont watch.

Well, it takes all sorts. If you aim your brand at military and aviation, then you will obviously attract some current and ex military. Not sure Bremont have anything like that demographic ownership or similar sphere than Rolex, Omega, Longines, or even G-Shock.
    Hmm, as well as a couple of Bremonts I own a Speedmaster, a Big Eye Avigation and just bought a G-SHOCK 5600E to which I’ve added a metal case and bracelet but I do not fit the criteria. Damn! Better stick the lot on SC...

Regards

Jon.

I've had an ALT-1 WT (white dialled) for 7 years now, I love it. I particularly like the dial (I'm a sucker for texture and applied markers) and the internal worldtimer bezel, and it looks really very good indeed on a NATO, Erika's or Chronissimo. I understand the squeamishness about some of their special editions and the hokier elements of their back-story, but show me any well established mass market watch brand without those features!

For the record: rugby not football, rowing not cricket, two dogs (not labs), old Porsche (engine at incorrect end), open fire, Cheaneys.

I am apparently stereotypically suited to the brand. On the other hand, I have no corduroys of any description, all my trousers are blue or grey, I'm not ex-military and my father didn't have a Datejust. So perhaps I'm only halfway there.

ETA: an old Friday thread photo...
    Last edited by PreacherCain; 28th January 2021 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Really yummy wife and a dog or two? Cricket or rugby but not football? Woodburning stove? Good shoes (Loake or Church's)?

Decent chap. Nice fellow.
    Correct on all fronts bar the wife, she kicked him out years ago!

On courses it was always easy to spot the Army officers, they all wear the same non-uniform uniform 😂😂

Grand Master
    Bremont certainly seem to have cultivated a brand image, appealing to a stereotype that doesn’t include me!

I find the watches too big and clumsy, quality looks OK but that’s about it. I could say the same about Breitling, always impressed by the quality but aesthetically the watches aren’t to my taste.

As for wearing red trousers, I haven’t done that since I was 5, although I will confess to owning a pair of plum- coloured cords at the age of 13/14 circa 1971.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not ex services,don’t own cords or red trousers,can’t stand sport,but I’m delighted with this.

Very nice. The bracelet looks great too. 40mm?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Very nice. The bracelet looks great too. 40mm?
    Yes 40 mm

A few years back made a beeline to my local Burrell’s when the Bremont Supersonic was released, I’d just left British Airways so it seemed the perfect gift to celebrate my 30 years service.

It looked nice although I was a little underwhelmed but when I tried it on it looked too big at 43mm on my skinny wrist, I left the shop really disappointed. It would have been perfect at 40mm but that’s the one thing that holds me back from the brand is the case dimensions, either to tall or too wide on my 6 3/4” wrist.
    I bought a Rolex 16610LV instead.

Master
    Wristie of my ALT-1P

often seen wearing this with my worn out yellow cords.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Sinn offers a lot lot more, good tough watches with some interesting tech, same ETA movements, and without the cringeworthy marketing bs, and no need to discount 50% because it’s already priced fairly.
    I've had a U1 and a Supermarine that I dived with actively. The Bremont was better finished, more accurate, and held up to heavy use better.

I like my U1 but the Supermarine is a superior watch.

Last edited by bedlam; 1st February 2021 at 06:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I've had a U1 and a Supermarine that I dived with actively. The Bremont was better finished, more accurate, and held up to heavy use better.
    I'm guessing that Bremont's hardened steel is a factor in holding up to heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I'm guessing that Bremont's hardened steel is a factor in holding up to heavy use.
    It absolutely works as advertised.

Master
    On the SM500’s it’s only the bezel that is hardened.

Master
    Like all Bremont case barrels they are all treated to BEBE-2000 hardening technology, not sure about bezel the bezel though.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    That's not my understanding. As evidence the S500 case remained completely unmarked after years of heavy use.

I couldn't say that of the U1 though. I believe it is the Sinn that only has it's bezel hardened and as a result the case is really showing it's age these days.

I like my U1 but the Supermarine is a superior watch.

That Supermarine does look fantastic in your photography, arty capture too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's only the crown guard that's hardened on the S500 and S2000.

Master
    It's the case barrel that's hardened, look at tech specs on Bremont website.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    It's only the crown guard that's hardened on the S500 and S2000.
    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Taken from Bremont's website.

Trip-Tick case construction -

TRIP-TICK® CASE CONSTRUCTIONAll Bremont watch cases use Bremont Trip-Tick® constructiting of three parts:

• The hardened steel bezel element, containing the sapphire crystal.
    • The central body section, consisting of a titanium or DLC treated middle barrel.
    • The steel and crystal case back.

Master
    Apologies, The middle barrel on the Supermarines are DLC (they're actually PVD on the Supermarines) and the crown guard has the surface hardening treatment.

Taken from Bremont's website.

Trip-Tick case construction -
    TRIP-TICK® CASE CONSTRUCTIONAll Bremont watch cases use Bremont Trip-Tick® constructiting of three parts:

• The hardened steel bezel element, containing the sapphire crystal.
    • The central body section, consisting of a titanium or DLC treated middle barrel.
    • The steel and crystal case back.
    But you realise that this means the case front section (with the lugs), not the (turning) bezel (which is also hardened on the SM watches that have them).

... I couldn't say that of the U1 though. I believe it is the Sinn that only has it's bezel hardened and as a result the case is really showing it's age these days.

As standard that's true, though you can pay a little extra for case and bracelet to be "Tegimented", too - something Sinn have made much clearer in their marketing in the last couple of years.

I find Bremont a mite frustrating in this regard, because only some of their models benefit from materials hardening, and it's not always terribly clear which ones, nor what parts or materials are involved. I wouldn't consider DLC / PVD to count as "hardening", as such coatings are still too easily knocked off of their substrate IME.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But you realise that this means the case front section (with the lugs), not the (turning) bezel (which is also hardened on the SM watches that have them).
    I'm fairly sure I was told by a watch maker who worked at Bremont that on the SM500's (the original one's at least) that it was only the turning part of the bezel that was hardened. I could be wrong (and often am!)

The bit you are quoting refers to all the cases, and most Bremont cases do not have a turning bezel.
    Bremont refer to the front of the trip-tick case as the bezel (they even clarify it in the quote by saying that it holds the sapphire). That is the bit with the lugs, screwed onto the front of the barrel.
    If you look at their site you can even see the rackes of case fronts in the picture going in for hardening.

This is the picture

I can assure you the front of my Alt1-P case is hardened, it doesn't have a mark on it even though it has been whacked many times.
    The rotating bezel and crown guard on the SM500 and 2000 models are bits that the other members of the range do not have, and they too are hardened.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The bit you are quoting refers to all the cases, and most Bremont cases do not have a turning bezel.
    Bremont refer to the front of the trip-tick case as the bezel (they even clarify it in the quote by saying that it holds the sapphire). That is the bit with the lugs, screwed onto the front of the barrel.
    If you look at their site you can even see the rackes of case fronts in the picture going in for hardening.

This is the picture

I can assure you the front of my Alt1-P case is hardened, it doesn't have a mark on it even though it has been whacked many times.
    The rotating bezel and crown guard on the SM500 and 2000 models are bits that the other members of the range do not have, and they too are hardened.
    D
    What about the Barrel of the cases? I don’t know if it is hardened. It can’t be for the colourful MB Watches as mid barrel is made of aluminium I think.

Not sure about the case backs, exhibition or fully enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    What about the Barrel of the cases? I don’t know if it is hardened. It can’t be for the colourful MB Watches as mid barrel is made of aluminium I think.

Not sure about the case backs, exhibition or fully enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The MB knurled barrel is not hardened, its anodised or painted depending on the colour.
    The black coloured "middle barrels" on other triptick models are either DLC'd or PVD'd.

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I find Bremont a mite frustrating in this regard, because only some of their models benefit from materials hardening, and it's not always terribly clear which ones, nor what parts or materials are involved. I wouldn't consider DLC / PVD to count as "hardening", as such coatings are still too easily knocked off of their substrate IME.
    Does anyone know which Bremonts have a coating, such as DLC or PVD, over the entire watch case? I can't wear most steel watches – an allergy to the nickel in them. But I think a coating would solve the problem.

Also, I'm guessing the DiaShield layer on some Seikos would probably work (provided the caseback and any bracelet have DiaShield). It would be great to know if some Bremonts have a coating too.

Meanwhile, I can seek comfort in titanium. And Damasko's ice-hardened steel is nickel-free too.

Master
    Does anyone know which Bremonts have a coating, such as DLC or PVD, over the entire watch case? I can't wear most steel watches – an allergy to the nickel in them. But I think a coating would solve the problem.

Also, I'm guessing the DiaShield layer on some Seikos would probably work (provided the caseback and any bracelet have DiaShield). It would be great to know if some Bremonts have a coating too.

Meanwhile, I can seek comfort in titanium. And Damasko's ice-hardened steel is nickel-free too.
    Terra Nova would suit if you can find one - it’s titanium cased. Also a full titanium bracelet available for it. Cracking looking watch as well.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont...t-watch-hands/

Master

The case backs on the very early Bremonts were hardened but it was phased out a while back so all case backs are untreated now, so you might be out of luck unfortunately.

Master
    Alt1-P

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was torn between the Airco Mach 2 and the S300 ,so in true wis fashion I bought both.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I was torn between the Airco Mach 2 and the S300 ,so in true wis fashion I bought both.

That's the spirit, lovely pair if I may say so. From another Bremont fanboy.

Craftsman
    Terra Nova would suit if you can find one - it’s titanium cased. Also a full titanium bracelet available for it. Cracking looking watch as well.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont...t-watch-hands/
    The Terra Nova is a cracker. I previously owned one and regret selling it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Alt1-P
    What strap is that?
    Colour & material look good.

Master
    Nice one !!! I flipped my EP 120 too quickly (at a loss) on here !!! Was a bit frustrated to say the least when I saw where prices went !!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    I have owned a few Bremonts over the years and they have all been excellent. I sold the EP 120 and P51 for a huge profit but kept the special MB and S2 that Nick and Giles made for me. Originally I liked the propeller-shaped rotors of the Spitfire and Mustang watches but eventually went right off them - same reason I managed to resist the reissue of the Blancpain Air Command - always wanted one of those but thought that rotor was just a bit naff in the end.

I always thought that the MB is kind of a modern day Sub in many ways, the sort of watch that does everything - I know quite a few “non-watch” people who have one as their only watch and bought it in preference to the default-choice Sub - they just wanted something different. In reference to that old adage, one friend made me laugh when he said that he didn’t need to prove to his mother that he had “made it”.

I also like the idea that it’s a British success story too and that the two brothers are so accessible - they welcome anyone to their workshop to see the watches being built and put on some good events. Makes a change from the anonymous and enormous Swiss brands, particularly anything owned by Richemont or Swatch.

At one time I had over 50 watches, mostly military including some rarities like a SAAF 5012 Lemania, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 3H Bund, Hanhart 417ES etc but for years I wore the MB exclusively. The MB is tough too - I’ve knocked it in aircraft cockpits and on car roll cages countless times and there’s not a mark on it. That said, it seems to be one of few modern watches that still looks OK when it’s been knocked about, although the three piece case design means you can just replace the top bezel instead of having the entire case refinished.

If I was to keep just one watch, reckon it would be that MB.

Regards

Jon.