closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My God has anyone tried buying a home printer recently?

Craftsman

My God has anyone tried buying a home printer recently?

There aren't any!! Short of risking getting one from Europe it seems. All I want is a basic printer like the Pixma 705 which just prints. 5 ink pots to save on ink and that's pretty much it.
    Most are now 3 in 1 so although I've got a scanner I'll take one . Nope they're all sold out. Upped my budget to £150+ which is a total waste. Nope sold out. Some that are over £200 are there but that's why.
    Unless they're a popular xmas present I don't know about or everyone has decided to work from home when they didn't last year it's totally unfathomable.
    If anyone knows of any secret suppliers let me know will you?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I managed to get one from Ryman end of November,not much choice iirc.

I hadn't realised.

I guess you only discover the shortage - when you go look for one!

I bought a new Pixma 920 2yrs ago as the sheet feeder on old 920 was failing.

cleaned the rollers on the old one and it is still going!

Will get the spare out next failure.

Master
    I got a new job working from home, printers have gone from £59.99 to £399 and stock is at a premium.
    Keep looking, something will turn up.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Master
    It's a triple whammy. Lots of people WAH, lots of kids home schooling & shipping from China is mullered so all the stock is bobbing about out at sea.

https://www.ebuyer.com/744935-hp-off...ble-d9l63a-a81

Personally I'd go laser rather than inkjet.

Buying printer inks can also be a bit of a challenge .
    Last edited by uptheaddicks; 23rd January 2021 at 16:31. Reason: typo

I checked the Canon Estore and pretty much most are sold out

Epson no help as they don't sell on line

Don't know who you tried (checked Canon Estore?). Check little hole-in-the-wall electronic stores over the larger ones. Maybe computer repair shops which sometimes carries a very small selection

DON

I've always found Printerland to have great prices and decent customer service.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Not very different on this side of the North Sea. Stock here is also low. Not printer related but... induction grill plates are unobtainable and Ikea's webshop has its troubles as well. Ordering today is mid-February delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Buying printer inks can also be a bit of a challenge .
    We switched to HP instant in a few years ago and haven't looked back. Typically, ink always ran out in our house at night time, 5 minutes before Tesco closed. Panic shop runs.... £30 on ink...

I now pay £1.99 a month and the cartridges are filled up to the brim with ink. The ones you buy off the shelf have just a few ml in them but not these.

With home school, I've just logged into the hp ink website and upped the monthly bill to £3.99pm and it's giving us loads of capacity.

All for around the cost of 1 panic run to Tescos to buy replacement ink. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    We switched to HP instant in a few years ago and haven't looked back. Typically, ink always ran out in our house at night time, 5 minutes before Tesco closed. Panic shop runs.... £30 on ink...

I now pay £1.99 a month and the cartridges are filled up to the brim with ink. The ones you buy off the shelf have just a few ml in them but not these.

With home school, I've just logged into the hp ink website and upped the monthly bill to £3.99pm and it's giving us loads of capacity.

All for around the cost of 1 panic run to Tescos to buy replacement ink. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    This ^ been on the £1.99 pm for years it just works
    Did a google for printers and plenty of results BTW.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    I have an old(ish) hp Photosmart 7350, and a Kodak ESP 7250 upstairs, which as far as I know, both work perfectly.

I used to print photos with both of them, as well as print work documents.

If you’re happy to make a FR donation, you’re welcome to one of them. They weigh 5.5kg (HP), and 8.8kg (Kodak), but I’ll cover the courier, so I’d like the FR to benefit.

May take a few days to sort out packing etc.

Depending on where you are we may be able to do SD exchange. I am on the Wirral.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Unless they're a popular xmas present I don't know about or everyone has decided to work from home when they didn't last year it's totally unfathomable.
    If you've kids of a school age it's easy to fathom. Every morning we're printing pages of worksheets off for the kids to work on throughout the day. Multiply that across the country and there's no wonder that none are available.

Honestly I thought we were done with home schooling last year when I brought my A3+ printer home from the office. But there seems to be no end in sight.

Blog Entries
    I struggled to get anything late last year when my Canon packed up. In the end bought a Epson XP-8600. It seems ok but was a bit dearer than I'd normally pay, although it was really a case of buying whatever you could get tbh!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Currys had the epson ecotank 2720 available last weekend

Have you looked at Morgan Computers?

Did you look on Argos? Seem to have plenty of stock...

http://https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/printers/c:30088/

It's not just printers; I had to replace my dishwasher before Christmas and found it difficult to find one I wanted to purchase in stock. I replaced my Inkjet with a Laserjet in November as I was sick of having to clean the cartridges every time I wanted to print and just wasting astronomically priced ink. It sounds like I was fortunate.

I got an HP ENVY Pro 6432 last week when our previous printer died. It’s still in stock for £100.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...10756-pdt.html

It comes with 6 months free Instant Ink. This gives you 300 pages of ink each month. At the end of the trial I’ll switch to the 100 pages per month level.

Blog Entries
    I had to buy a new printer in Nov/Dec 2020 & ended up ordering from Canon direct.

it shipped from EU - so probably not an easy option now.

z

This pandemic has certainly highlighted the fact that the west buys nearly everything from the east, whether it’s a washing machine or a bicycle, this year most things are a more difficult to source. Throw in some shipping containers getting stuck in transit and it’s no surprise.

Hopefully British manufacturing will make a resurgence in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

This pandemic has certainly highlighted the fact that the west buys nearly everything from the east, whether it’s a washing machine or a bicycle, this year most things are a more difficult to source. Throw in some shipping containers getting stuck in transit and it’s no surprise.

Master
    £129 from John Lewis https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-ph...white/p3341019

Will do the HP instant ink

Craftsman
    I’ve ran out of ink for my home printer and Amazon are out of stock currently so I have to put it all in a folder, 25 mile drive to the office every few nights and print it all there.
    Still, it gets me out for a couple of hours!
    Cheers,
    Rob

I hit this same problem Wednesday night, when my old Canon finally gave up just before printing the address label I needed for the parcel that I’d just book to be collected in the morning! (Luckily I managed to amend the booking and change it to a printer free option though another fiver to have the driver bring a label seemed a bit steep).
    Spend the next day working out there is pretty much nothing available at the cheaper end of the market. Eventually went for a HP with 5 months ink subscription from Curry’s, though noticed the next day this had also sold out. I stuck every printer Argos had under £120 in my basket and I think there were about three that I could pick up inside a day or two but that was it.
    Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Not very different on this side of the North Sea. Stock here is also low. Not printer related but... induction grill plates are unobtainable and Ikea's webshop has its troubles as well. Ordering today is mid-February delivery.
    IKEA NL is always a nightmare, it’s not COVID related.

In 2018 the lost our delivery, but wouldn’t accept it was lost until it was 22.00 as it might be delayed. This was on December 1st, next slot was 24 December, but at least it arrived.

Same thing happened again in Nov 19, but this time they admitted it was damaged in transit. This time replaced in a week AND they never rebuilder my Cv. So €800 worth of free furniture

Last order ( 10 months ago) was less traumatic, but now due to COVID they just leave it on the street(!) , however as I had my arm in a sling they obliged by bringing the Guest bed up to the 2nd floor( I think the €20 to buy a drink helped).

Red face

I bought an HP Colour Laserjet Pro M283 a few months back before the shortages. Toner is pretty expensive but lasts 5,000 sheets and print quality is excellent. Recommended!

Inkjet printers aren't great for volume printing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I bought an HP Colour Laserjet Pro M283 a few months back before the shortages. Toner is pretty expensive but lasts 5,000 sheets and print quality is excellent. Recommended!

Inkjet printers aren't great for volume printing.
    Precisely the same model I bought and I'm impressed with it. The only downside is that it is noisy.

Craftsman
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, and mainspring for the offer of a cheap one, I'll bear it in mind.

I can't reply to all but 2 things are main issues. Places like Argos don't show out of stock until I put my postcode in. I think the nearest to pick up was Edinburgh only 200 miles away. No one will deliver to the area. I'm not sure that's nationwide or just I live in Covid central.
    The other thing was the price. Some had stock but are marked up 100% on the usual cost. An increase if they are difficult to get hold of I can live with but I'll not be fleeced on one.

Lastly is another option. My Canon came up with an error which on investigation seems quite common. Tried all the fixes but it looks like the print head which is the brains in mine has gone south. I've found a new print head for £75 so may gamble on that.
    Decision decisions.

Master
    I had the same problem last June with hp cartridges took 3 weeks to find any had to get over priced Tesco’s own brand ones which were nearly as expensive as the proper hp ones and had totally dried up 4 months later

Red face

Yep, it’s definitely a bit noisy! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Precisely the same model I bought and I'm impressed with it. The only downside is that it is noisy.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, and mainspring for the offer of a cheap one, I'll bear it in mind.

I can't reply to all but 2 things are main issues. Places like Argos don't show out of stock until I put my postcode in. I think the nearest to pick up was Edinburgh only 200 miles away. No one will deliver to the area. I'm not sure that's nationwide or just I live in Covid central.
    The other thing was the price. Some had stock but are marked up 100% on the usual cost. An increase if they are difficult to get hold of I can live with but I'll not be fleeced on one.

Lastly is another option. My Canon came up with an error which on investigation seems quite common. Tried all the fixes but it looks like the print head which is the brains in mine has gone south. I've found a new print head for £75 so may gamble on that.
    Decision decisions.
    This is why I buy HP. The print head is integrated into the cartridges - new head with every change. I found that fixed head printers clog if you aren't using them regularly. Not one problem in 4 years with my HP Envy.

Epson ECOTANK models are superb and their ink costs are likely the lowest of any inkjet printer ... just pour in the ink
    https://www.epson.co.uk/for-home/ecotank
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman

We needed one for home schooling, the ink jet was costing a fortune so I went on Facebook marketplace and found a used (6months old) HP colour laserjet with loads of colour but very little black, I think maybe 800 pages, as it was only ever used in an office

I bought a comparable black off Amazon for £26 and now have 5000 black and more colour than I’m ever gonna need

The only downside is it massive but hey ho, I needed somewhere to keep 5 reams of paper may as well be in the printer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 24th January 2021 at 18:07.

I think the nearest to pick up was Edinburgh only 200 miles away. No one will deliver to the area. I'm not sure that's nationwide or just I live in Covid central.
    The HP I linked to is available for £99 with free home delivery. Did you check that out?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Surprises me that so many here can work from home. Difference is the East is actually making stuff.

Master
    Buy a laser .

Highly likely for home use you'll never need to replace the toner over the entire life of the printer.

Had good results with a mono samsung and a lexmark which surprised me by being colour.

Forget inkjets ...bad tech. When I need high quality colour printouts I send them to a professional printing house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Buy a laser .

Highly likely for home use you'll never need to replace the toner over the entire life of the printer.
    Yep my Samsung M2070w is on the way out but the generic toner cartridges were twenty quid for two and did about 1000 pages each...

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Epson ECOTANK models are superb and their ink costs are likely the lowest of any inkjet printer ... just pour in the ink
    https://www.epson.co.uk/for-home/ecotank

We've had a ET-3750 for 18 months or so now which is about 6 months longer than any home printer usually last us. It's been invaluable for home schooling the last few weeks / months / years...
    Not very thirsty either, we've got spare ink but it's still more than half fulll after reasonable use.

I bought an HP laser printer a few months ago. With WFH and home schooling it has been the best purchase of the year.

Does amazing cost per sheet and is super quick given we have a couple of kids needing at least 10 pages each every morning.

I wish I'd done it years ago

I read this thread yesterday and checked the shelves at my local Tesco today. It doesn’t seem that long ago that I was looking at the latest stock as my HP Officejet has been well and truly used over the last two years and there were perhaps twenty or so different units. Today there were three and a handful of inks. In fact, the entire electronics section was looking decidedly under stocked.