closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 123

Thread: Sir Ben Anslie. What watch is this ? Edit: Prototype Rolex?

  1. #51
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have always thought that with all the investment and effort that has gone in to produce the Pelagos, it was strange that no Ti Rolex has been produced.
    I wonder if it’s a Pelagos case?

  2. #52
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hmmm I wonder it it’s a Pelagos case or did they make a special case for this watch?
    I would like to find out a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder if it’s a Pelagos case?
    Great minds and all that...?

  3. #53
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder if it’s a Pelagos case?
    I posed that question earlier in the tread, looking at the close up pictures I don’t think it is, the crown guards are a different shape.

  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I posed that question earlier in the tread, looking at the close up pictures I don’t think it is, the crown guards are a different shape.
    In which case ... see what I did there ...it’s likely it will lead to a new product as producing a one off would be highly expensive.

  5. #55
    Craftsman M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The weight comment is a bit of a nonsense. A rough calculation would imply a 0.0000001% all up weight saving. There are marginal gains but that is not even registering as relevant.
    Well it's what he said, I guess he knows better than us: “I’m extremely honoured to have it, plus, from a performance perspective, every little bit of weight that we can save, helps us to go faster with the boat.”

  6. #56
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Well it's what he said, I guess he knows better than us: “I’m extremely honoured to have it, plus, from a performance perspective, every little bit of weight that we can save, helps us to go faster with the boat.”
    I’m not disputing he said that and at a literal level it is of course correct but the % performance improvement is clearly as close to zero that it doesn’t matter.

    If he wanted to save weight in his watch his best option would be to leave it on the dock as the boat is rammed full of electronics.
    Last edited by Montello; 24th January 2021 at 17:35.

  7. #57
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,300
    See www.facebook.com/StudioBorlenghi/photos/3937664102924640 and use 'Open image in new tab' and click the image to expand it.

    There is also this heart stopping moment www.facebook.com/StudioBorlenghi/photos/3925332347491149 for American Magic.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th January 2021 at 01:26.

  8. #58
    Assuming it does get released do we really think it would be released as a no date? That really does look like the perfect watch but is way too radical for Rolex to release to the masses imo.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Assuming it does get released do we really think it would be released as a no date? That really does look like the perfect watch but is way too radical for Rolex to release to the masses imo.
    I think it’s the best possible way to stimulate the Yacht-Master model, and then expand sales there as well - do we know what anniversary of the YM range we are on...
    It's just a matter of time...

  10. #60
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1

  11. #61
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That getty image is available in much higher resolution - do not suppose anyone has an account or wants to spend £350...
    The part of the image with the watch is a little blurred .. unfortunately the source is the limiting factor and I don't think a higher resolution image would help much.

  12. #62
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,860
    I’ve just compared that photo to my 42mm Yachtmaster and it does seem the same model, with the date removed. The lugs are the same, as is the dial....right down to this absence of the red writing .
    This does seem a 42 Yachtmaster in titanium, which makes the lugs look greyer than for the standard model.
    Removing the date seems odd, but who knows what they are up to.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Assuming it does get released do we really think it would be released as a no date? That really does look like the perfect watch but is way too radical for Rolex to release to the masses imo.
    This made me chuckle.

    It looks like every other sports Rolex to me (and probably any other layman), but an aficionado worries that it's "way too radical."

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    This made me chuckle.

    It looks like every other sports Rolex to me (and probably any other layman), but an aficionado worries that it's "way too radical."
    Rolex are often compared to Porsche in terms of how they produce iterations. It's like when you go to the barber and ask for a haircut but say you don't want it to look like you've had one ;)

    I do wish they'd fixed the hour hand proportions though, it's still a chode. Oh well, next iteration it is!

  15. #65
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,839
    If they were to release this, it would make sense for them on many levels.

  16. #66
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    If they were to release this, it would make sense for them on many levels.
    Don't hold your breath; things move slowly at Rolex.

  17. #67
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Don't hold your breath; things move slowly at Rolex.
    Not a watch for me anyway, feels like a logical 21/22 new release and not much else to update in catalog aside milgauss.

  18. #68
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,860
    Strange, but I don’t think Rolex have ever released anything actually described as a ‘sports’ watch. A titanium Yachtmaster 42, with lightweight Oysterflex bracelet, could play straight into that slot....as would the same treatment on a Submariner.
    It looks very tempting...

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Strange, but I don’t think Rolex have ever released anything actually described as a ‘sports’ watch. A titanium Yachtmaster 42, with lightweight Oysterflex bracelet, could play straight into that slot....as would the same treatment on a Submariner.
    It looks very tempting...
    Would also allow them to stick to not putting Oysterflex on a stainless steel model and still charge silly money. The two tone SD43 is about 13.3k and the two tone sub is about 11.5k. a titanium model could easily fit somewhere around there, even without the date complication. I'd buy one at around that price.

  20. #70
    A titanium Rolex. Can't be plain old Ti so wonder what they'll call it - Titaniox or Titoxium perhaps?
    Titanium Yachtmaster or TityMaster for short?
    Last edited by mylofitz; 25th January 2021 at 13:48.

  21. #71
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,255
    As I’m allergic to Rolex steel, I’d love to see a titanium version. But Tudor ruined the Pelagos by making the clasp and caseback from steel; I hope any titanium Rolex doesn’t follow suit.

    Around ten per cent of us are allergic to the nickel in steel (and Rolex’s 904L steel is 25% nickel). So, an all-titanium Rolex would be excellent.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    As I’m allergic to Rolex steel, I’d love to see a titanium version. But Tudor ruined the Pelagos by making the clasp and caseback from steel; I hope any titanium Rolex doesn’t follow suit.

    Around ten per cent of us are allergic to the nickel in steel (and Rolex’s 904L steel is 25% nickel). So, an all-titanium Rolex would be excellent.
    DSSD on rubber? Caseback is titanium.

  23. #73
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,255
    Thanks! It seems odd that the steel DSSD has a titanium caseback, yet the titanium Pelgos has a steel caseback. What were they thinking?

    I prefer the looks of the Pelagos over Rolex's divers, and Tudor has the advantage of avoiding all the baggage associated with Rolex. So it's disappointing that the Pelagos uses steel for both the caseback and clasp

    Nickel contact allergy is significant: it affects 14–18% of adults of both sexes in EU countries.* Thus, nickel-free watches should be a sizeable market. But I've only seem nickel-free steel from Dornblüth and Damasko.

    Ahlström et al. Prevalence of nickel allergy in Europe following the EU Nickel Directive – a review (2017). https://doi.org/10.1111/cod.12846
    Last edited by Dougal; 25th January 2021 at 15:36.

  24. #74
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,841
    I see this thread is now referring to Prototype in the title.
    No-one has indicated this is a prototype yet, at present it is simply a custom YM42 built by Rolex for Ainslie.
    It may be a prototype, but that is not established yet, so we need to be careful what we are claiming for the watch.
    D

  25. #75
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I see this thread is now referring to Prototype in the title.
    No-one has indicated this is a prototype yet, at present it is simply a custom YM42 built by Rolex for Ainslie.
    It may be a prototype, but that is not established yet, so we need to be careful what we are claiming for the watch.
    D
    I thought it helpful as some may not have been interested in Sir Ben but I'm sure many are interested in unseen Rolex model ...

  26. #76
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,860
    That’s true. We can’t be sure what Rolex are up to. But when famous people are featured by Rolex, they are normally wearing a standard Rolex, not a ‘one off.’ After all, what would be the point....Rolex would simply be demonstrating the the real YM42 was not up to the job.
    Hardly a great marketing message.

  27. #77
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,300
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That’s true. We can’t be sure what Rolex are up to. But when famous people are featured by Rolex, they are normally wearing a standard Rolex, not a ‘one off.’ After all, what would be the point....Rolex would simply be demonstrating the the real YM42 was not up to the job.
    Hardly a great marketing message.
    Indeed they are...see Rolex Interviews Ben Ainslie and Rolex and yachting. But as a 'testimonee' rather than a 'Brand Ambassador' it is difficult to find any refence to SBA on the Rolex website. He doesn't appear under World of Rolex or Yachting. This may be a way of avoiding conflict between SBA's affiliation and the sponsorship deals of Team Ineos. All of which, IMO, feeds the (unproven) suggestion that Rolex may be working towards a marketing campaign for something new.

  28. #78
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,767
    So I had a look at recent videos of him being interviewed - anything close up he's not wearing any watch- coincidence or what he's been told to do to avoid people getting a decent look?

  29. #79
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So I had a look at recent videos of him being interviewed - anything close up he's not wearing any watch- coincidence or what he's been told to do to avoid people getting a decent look?
    IMO, NO...it's not anything to do with "people getting a decent look", witness the AC36 press conferences and the links I posted above (where the Rolex is very evident)...it has to do with 'image management' as regards the sponsorships and agreements for Team Ineos. I'm sure all of the latter have clauses specifying what team members are required to wear for publicity purposes...and, if only by implication, what they are not allowed to wear.

  30. #80
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    SBA is wearing that watch all the time as far as I can see in the current cup ... he doesn't need a watch on the water yet its always there so my guess is that it's some sort of placement / sponsorship deal ...

    The fact that there seems to be very little info out there seems to suggest it is something under development to a sponsorship deal under development ... or a seed to harvest should GBR win the auld mug ...

    Either way it's a fun spot / speculation.

    It's a long time since we have seen anything remotely new in the sports / professional range from Rolex.

  31. #81
    My brother has been involved in the world of professional sailing all his career and is a friend and neighbour of Ben’s. He is also a bit of a watch collector, so I’ll ask him to speak to Ben about the watch next time he sees him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #82
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So I had a look at recent videos of him being interviewed - anything close up he's not wearing any watch- coincidence or what he's been told to do to avoid people getting a decent look?
    You are looking at the wrong videos; the image in the OP was clipped off a press conference. He always holds the microphone in the hand with the watch giving it a nice flash to the cameras ... you'd think it was deliberate but probably not ...

    Last edited by Montello; 25th January 2021 at 18:44.

  33. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My brother has been involved in the world of professional sailing all his career and is a friend and neighbour of Ben’s. He is also a bit of a watch collector, so I’ll ask him to speak to Ben about the watch next time he sees him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ask him how much to pretend he lost it and pop it in the post to me while you're at it please

  34. #84
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,300
    Just to show how little I know about Rolex...on what strap is SBA wearing his Rolex? I doesn't look like a bracelet so are there other models in the Rolex brand that support that option? Could this be their answer to another well known brand's dalliance with the NATO option?

  35. #85
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,767
    Is this a better look at the strap?

    https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-cup-bid-alive

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Thanks! It seems odd that the steel DSSD has a titanium caseback, yet the titanium Pelgos has a steel caseback. What were they thinking?
    Maybe they just got the parts mixed up and by the time anyone noticed it was too late?

    First I've heard of this, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the tendency for titanium to spontaneously weld to itself. I forget the name of the effect, but it's a common problem on titanium torches. It happens when you put two very smooth surfaces in contact. It can happens to any metal if the surfaces are smooth enough, but titanium is especially prone to it. It can affect things like screw threads, like on a caseback for example.

    Come to think of it I've never considered how other titanium watches get around this problem.

  37. #87
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Lake District UK
    Posts
    365
    It's about time Rolex used some of the technology they've been trialling with Tudor on their watches.

  38. #88
    As far as I’m aware all titanium watches have a steel caseback to avoid this ‘self welding’ effect. Probably why a lot of citizen Ti divers are monocoque/front loading designs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #89
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,255
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    As far as I’m aware all titanium watches have a steel caseback to avoid this ‘self welding’ effect. Probably why a lot of citizen Ti divers are monocoque/front loading designs?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s wrong; my Porsche Design has a titanium case and case back.

  40. #90
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    6,276
    My Aerospace had a titanium caseback as well, but if I remember correctly it was a snapback and supposedly less prone to getting stuck.

  41. #91
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s wrong; my Porsche Design has a titanium case and case back.
    And I’ve had Tutima and Oris divers that were all-titanium (case and caseback alike) too.

  42. #92
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,841
    My EZM1 and Tutima Commando are all Ti. No SS casebacks there.

    D

  43. #93
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,860
    The titanium doesn’t matter . It’s simply a means of creating an extra price tier. At present you have (1) plain Jane steel. Cheapest, thus most popular....which means they are in demand and less cheap from ‘grey’ dealers. Rolex don’t directly benefit.
    (2) gold watches, but minus a gold bracelet, which chops about £8000 off retail and makes them easier to buy. Here the Oysterflex does the job. And (c) gold watches with gold bracelets. Most expensive, most profitable, but harder to sell to customers.
    Titanium ‘sports’ models would slot in between One and Two. Pricier than steel, a bit less pricey than gold. And the Oysterflex remains outside of the reach of plain steel models. A whole new tier at little development expense, and with a modern ‘sporty’ feel.
    Yum yum say Rolex....probably two years away?

  44. #94
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The titanium doesn’t matter . It’s simply a means of creating an extra price tier. At present you have (1) plain Jane steel. Cheapest, thus most popular....which means they are in demand and less cheap from ‘grey’ dealers. Rolex don’t directly benefit.
    (2) gold watches, but minus a gold bracelet, which chops about £8000 off retail and makes them easier to buy. Here the Oysterflex does the job. And (c) gold watches with gold bracelets. Most expensive, most profitable, but harder to sell to customers.
    Titanium ‘sports’ models would slot in between One and Two. Pricier than steel, a bit less pricey than gold. And the Oysterflex remains outside of the reach of plain steel models. A whole new tier at little development expense, and with a modern ‘sporty’ feel.
    Yum yum say Rolex....probably two years away?
    Seems a logical development of the range.

  45. #95
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,800
    Aligning itself with the greatest achievers of the day is a brilliantly self-renewing advertising approach which has rewarded Rolex for generations.

    In a similar vein, the owner and crew of "Sovereign," our entry in the 1964 America's Cup, were all given one of these by Rolex --- each with the now highly desirable "Double SWISS" and underline markings on two-colour print dial.







    Mine was once the team owner's but I've also tracked down one of its sisters, still owned by the original recipient.

    Forgive the modern, service bezel insert.

    This advert is from 1967 :



    Ainslie's will also be worth a lot / a fortune in due course if unique.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 26th January 2021 at 15:49.

  46. #96
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,841
    I have a suspicion that Rolex are not trumpeting this yet, as SBA hasn't won anything while he has been wearing it, yet.
    But if he does, plans to release this model may well be fast-tracked. Everyone likes a winner.
    D

  47. #97
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,800
    One might imagine that a titanium Yachtmaster without a date is going to feel disappointingly light on its feet.

    Depending on the weather, some weight that can be directed about the boat can be an advantage. If you see Shearwater, Seabird number 55 racing off Anglesey in a Force 5, bear in mind that the helm may be carrying a brace of Deep-Seas for ballast.


  48. #98
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    2,677
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have a suspicion that Rolex are not trumpeting this yet, as SBA hasn't won anything while he has been wearing it, yet.
    But if he does, plans to release this model may well be fast-tracked. Everyone likes a winner.
    D
    Yep, looks like Rolex have placed a bet on GBR and will be cashing in if we win. Hope so.

  49. #99
    If not they could be lining up a 30th anniversary release in 2022...
    It's just a matter of time...

  50. #100
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    8,767
    Not great quality but some new footage here:

    https://www.skysports.com/more-sport...cup-semi-final

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information