closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When the Germans conquered London - Rammstein content

When the Germans conquered London - Rammstein content

Its now 20 years since the biggest German Rock group start their Blitz Krieg of the world. They mainly stayed in their homeland until venturing out of the Fatherland in 2001 with their monster 'Mutter' album. They had threatened our borders in the late 90's. But were unsure that the Deutsche language would be acceptable for the British pallet.
    I heard rumours of this astonishing German Band, that covered Depeche Mode numbers so was intrigued when I heard they wanted to play the Astoria in London.

Word got out about their phenomenal pyrotechnics, the Astoria and the council, bottled it and cancelled the gig. Months later Brixton Academy decided to take the plunge and booked them for a one off show which was almost invitation only. Everyone in the British music industry was their that Sunday night.
    My then 'German' wife and I were invited to attend with Girlschool. My mate roadies for them, and I knew them quite well. Kelly Johnson (who had just split up with Sam Fox) took a shine to my ex, and my ex translated the lyrics to her. The show was a great success, though the venue was full of smoke as the pyrotechnics were a bit over the top for a Victorian theatre.

A few years later I was part of a committee that excepted a cheque for charity from Virgin, in connection with the V Festival. It was a nice function at Hylands House a stately home in Chelmsford. On having a drink with the Virgin people, I asked which bands they had booked for next years festival. They were looking for a spectacular headliner. I happen to mention Rammstein, the promoter I was talking to face turned to thunder. I'd never book that band again he fumed.

Turns out he booked them for Brixton Academy, in 2001. Unbeknown to the audience that night the Pyrotechnics had scorched the ceiling and had nearly burned the place down. London Fire Brigade were called and carried out a thorough investigation. Brixton had to foot the bill.

I have seen them four times since, but nothing like the time they set fire to Brixton Academy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Its now 20 years since the biggest German Rock group start their Blitz Krieg of the world. They mainly stayed in their homeland until venturing out of the Fatherland in 2001 with their monster 'Mutter' album. They had threatened our borders in the late 90's. But were unsure that the Deutsche language would be acceptable for the British pallet.
    I heard rumours of this astonishing German Band, that covered Depeche Mode numbers so was intrigued when I heard they wanted to play the Astoria in London.

Word got out about their phenomenal pyrotechnics, the Astoria and the council, bottled it and cancelled the gig. Months later Brixton Academy decided to take the plunge and booked them for a one off show which was almost invitation only. Everyone in the British music industry was their that Sunday night.
    My then 'German' wife and I were invited to attend with Girlschool. My mate roadies for them, and I knew them quite well. Kelly Johnson (who had just split up with Sam Fox) took a shine to my ex, and my ex translated the lyrics to her. The show was a great success, though the venue was full of smoke as the pyrotechnics were a bit over the top for a Victorian theatre.

A few years later I was part of a committee that excepted a cheque for charity from Virgin, in connection with the V Festival. It was a nice function at Hylands House a stately home in Chelmsford. On having a drink with the Virgin people, I asked which bands they had booked for next years festival. They were looking for a spectacular headliner. I happen to mention Rammstein, the promoter I was talking to face turned to thunder. I'd never book that band again he fumed.

Turns out he booked them for Brixton Academy, in 2001. Unbeknown to the audience that night the Pyrotechnics had scorched the ceiling and had nearly burned the place down. London Fire Brigade were called and carried out a thorough investigation. Brixton had to foot the bill.

I have seen them four times since, but nothing like the time they set fire to Brixton Academy.
    Ha! Great story. Are there pics of that 2001 gig?

What a great story! I love this bands first album, absolute stone cold classic. Mutter was their mainstream peak but sadly like most bands, I find their music quite bloated these days but vertainl;y not short of some brilliant songs. If you are curious, this concert from 1996 is all you need, you either get it or not. A good early pyrotechnics show by Till too in the first track, just a fantastic show that makes me wish I had access to a time machine!

Its been a year at least since i watched this, a few more beers and I will watch it loud later

One of my favourite bands, great stuff.

Grand Master
    seen them twice in manchester superb spectacle live. first album is probably the best for the uninitiated, and you only really need that and Seinsucht, they've never topped those two for me.
    well worth a watch for some of the more crazy bits!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Went to see them at the Olympic stadium in Munich 2 years ago, on our way back from riding around Germany and Austria on the motorbikes. Incredible gig, full on pyro what with it being a stadium and all. I have tickets to watch them at Coventry, their only UK gig which was postponed from last year to this, however I’m not confident it will go ahead.

I'm also a big fan.

So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Still as good as they were... Lindemann is also a brilliant side project. But you need to speak German to appreciate the nuanced lyrics...

Master
    My wife and I are both huge fans. We've seen them in Lisbon, Nottingham, Milton Keynes and at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. Always a cracking show. Can't wait for more.
    I think the evolution of their music has been extremely well measured.

Master
    Thanks for the intro, I hadn't heard of them. I'll have to listen so more of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Still as good as they were... Lindemann is also a brilliant side project. But you need to speak German to appreciate the nuanced lyrics...
    I speak some. Have been doing an online German course for a year and making good progress. The good thing about Rammstein if you're learning German is the pronunciation is very distinguished and easy to understand. I normally understand enough words from each sentence to get the gist of it, some songs more than others.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post

I was at this gig. It was absolutely rammed so we ended up standing near the back where the bar is. No surprise hearing that story, I remember when the pyros kicked off for Feuer Frei it was like being stood behind an English Electric Lightening.

Rammers are one of the best bands live and their music is infectious, even if you do end up making half the words up when you try to sing along.

We’ve got tickets for the rescheduled Belfast gig in June but there’s no chance that’ll be happening.

FYI - Their NYC gig turned up on Netflix last month.

Blog Entries
    The lyrics of their 'Deutschland' song are absolutely brilliant. In short, it names Germany's (dark) history and the fact that it's still very hard to love the country. You can see it as a follow-up on 'Links 2 3 4'. Back then, Rammstein had received a lot flak about their alleged ties with extreme right-wing politics. The 'Links 2 3 4' lyrics ended that.

Menno

Craftsman
    Rammstein- a band for all ages to enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QlT1T4XsCJc