closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An obvious dilemma

Master

An obvious dilemma

There are people out there, I’m one of them, who fancy a Speedmaster 321. They have not got one yet, but live in hope. However, now the ‘new’ upgraded Speedmaster pops onto the scene. It looks good (to me anyway), and it’s about half the price. Probably a better timekeeper with a superior movement as well.
    Yes, it’s not handmade , not as rare, not as historic.
    But, but......it’s not an easy choice is it?

If you're going to have one Omega or one Speedmaster in a way that is the one to have but personally I would be going for the METAS one with exhibition caseback. I'd rather lose 2k upgrading to the 321 than 4k changing down to the METAS model instead.

Master
    These days, I’d be working on the assumption that whichever model I bought, I would keep. Novel idea I know, but worth a determined try....

I think I’d be waiting to see how the 321 prices settle. There will no doubt be opportunities over the next 5 years to pick up the current/latest model, and possibly with a bit of discount just like the previous version. It does look bloody nice though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There are people out there, I’m one of them, who fancy a Speedmaster 321. They have not got one yet, but live in hope. However, now the ‘new’ upgraded Speedmaster pops onto the scene. It looks good (to me anyway), and it’s about half the price. Probably a better timekeeper with a superior movement as well.
    Yes, it’s not handmade , not as rare, not as historic.
    But, but......it’s not an easy choice is it?
    I personally think the 321 is marketing genius. The movement was superseded a few generation ago and they now offer a technically superior option. The METAS coax comes in a slightly different case with a slightly different dial, but it’s closer in spirit to what the moon watch was (a practical, reliable tool watch) rather than a highly priced, modern homage to antiquity (though in many ways, it still is a modern homage to antiquity too!)

I certainly understand the appeal of something hand made by a single expert watchmaker in Switzerland, and I don’t want to knock it for those who enjoy it. It‘s beautiful, and a great under-the-radar piece, but given the option, I’d go with the Coax and stick the change into something else.

Just my opinion of course, I’m just jealous anyway...

Master
    Why not the "man on the moon" model with the heselite crystal etc.