closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendations for Free Range Chicken breasts?

Question Recommendations for Free Range Chicken breasts?

I’ve spun in circles with this one over the years, chicken quality. I’ve tried them all, last lot being from muscle food, which whilst it was ok, it wasn’t brilliant and I’ve definitely had better. I know free range isn’t cheap, but for how much I eat it’s worth buying better quality. I’m not interested in corn fed organic bright yellow chicken, just the good old quality chicken we got years ago before everyone started pissing injecting it with god knows what.

Can anyone recommend an online butcher that delivers quality (bulk) free range chicken breasts. There is a heap online but choosing a quality company with reasonable pricing looks to be a bit of a mine field.

Thanks in advance chaps

Master
    I bought a big box of meat from these guys for Xmas, well packed, great quality, I would go again.

https://www.tomwoodartisanbutcher.co.uk/

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I’ve ordered stuff from Tom Hixson from time to time. I think their chicken is pretty good. At the moment you can get 5kg for £25 (normally £40).
    If you sign up,to their newsletter you will get £15 discount on your first order of £40+

Free range chicken bras

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I bought a big box of meat from these guys for Xmas, well packed, great quality, I would go again.

https://www.tomwoodartisanbutcher.co.uk/
    Doesn't say it's free range, which you'd expect them to shout about if they were?
    https://www.tomwoodartisanbutcher.co...icken-fillets/

SydR
    Donald Russell.

https://www.donaldrussell.com/free-r...lets-c683.html

Our second order from them arrived earlier today.

Free range is no guarantee of the quality of meat - they can still be fed on additive enhanced pellets, they simply eat it outside of the pen.
    It is indication of the way the birds are housed, and the quality of their existence.

If you want truly additive free food, you have to consider organic.

Craftsman

Recommendations for Free Range Chicken breasts?

Apparently there is a wave/ strain of avian flu around at the moment that means that all free range chickens and other birds that normally roam outside are having to be kept indoors, ie in barns. This came in to effect from 14th December 2020.

Because of this, eggs can only continue to be labelled and marketed as “free range” for 16 weeks after they have been brought indoors, and poultry meat for 12 weeks. Beyond 16 weeks, they must be downgraded to “barn-produced”.

As a result this, there are very few “free range” chickens in the supermarkets at the moment.

Source: DEFRA
    Last edited by Mainspring; 22nd January 2021 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Apparently there is a wave/ strain of avian flu around at the moment that means that all free range chickens and other birds that normally roam outside are having to be kept indoors, ie in barns. This came in to effect from 14th December 2020.

Because of this, eggs can only continue to be labelled and marketed as “free range” for 16 weeks after they have been brought indoors, and poultry meat for 12 weeks. Beyond 16 weeks, they must be downgraded to “barn-produced”.

As a result this, there are very few “free range” chickens in the supermarkets at the moment.

Source: DEFRA
    that's very interesting indeed, and makes sense as there does seem to be a reduction in availability of chicken.

thanks for the replies so far guys, really helpful. I do buy organic where i can, always for sunday roast (if having chicken) otherwise big piece of rib eye!

ill check the links thanks again :)

What about a chat with your local butcher to see what he can source?

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I’ve done this, and they said hardly anyone ever asks for free range due to the cost so they never bother to get it in?
    I’ll see if he can maybe get bulk. Worth a shot.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Our nearest butcher doesn’t offer free range chicken claiming there is no demand for it from his customers.

I have to admit I have never heard of a butcher not offering free range, my local butchers is only free range and organic and I thought most would be the same. I am obviously wrong.

In the best TZUK tradition of offering of an alternative the OP has not request info on, Have you thought about game eg pheasant as an alternative? They tend to be similar in price and will be organic. Pheasant tastes great but not as gamey as some birds. Game is leaner protein as I am sure you know.
    Failing that an MX5 or a slow worm?
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd January 2021 at 10:55.

Craftsman
    i always buy either sutton hoo from
    my butcher or herbfed poultry from here
    https://www.herbfedpoultry.co.uk/free-range-poultry

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have to admit I have never heard of a butcher not offering free range, my local butchers is only free range and organic and I thought most would be the same. I am obviously wrong.

In the best TZUK tradition of offering of an alternative the OP has not request info on, Have you thought about game eg pheasant as an alternative? They tend to be similar in price and will be organic. Pheasant tastes great but not as gamey as some birds. Game is leaner protein as I am sure you know.
    Failing that an MX5 or a slow worm?
    Wild meat occupies ethically much sounder territory than mass-farmed meat, and is bloody tasty. Less good if you crave coq au vin, or a home made chicken dhansak.

For roasting whole or jointing for whatever variant of casserole I crave, I love guinea fowl as an “almost chicken” alternative.

I’m sure I’ve said it before here- I’d be quite happy for mass farming and the supply of inhumanely reared, poor quality meat to be stopped in its tracks, and with it the whole junk food, chicken nugget and fast food industry.

Better to pay more for better quality, better reared meat, and to eat it less often and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Wild meat occupies ethically much sounder territory than mass-farmed meat, and is bloody tasty. Less good if you crave coq au vin, or a home made chicken dhansak.

For roasting whole or jointing for whatever variant of casserole I crave, I love guinea fowl as an “almost chicken” alternative.

I’m sure I’ve said it before here- I’d be quite happy for mass farming and the supply of inhumanely reared, poor quality meat to be stopped in its tracks, and with it the whole junk food, chicken nugget and fast food industry.

Better to pay more for better quality, better reared meat, and to eat it less often and treat it with the respect it deserves.
    ^ I absolutely agree with this!

Master
    Have a look at Pipers Farm. Order online and arrives frozen. We have been using their meat for around a year now, really like it. Both free range chicken and grass fed beef on offer. Not cheap but trying to eat less but better when it comes to meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Have a look at Pipers Farm. Order online and arrives frozen. We have been using their meat for around a year now, really like it. Both free range chicken and grass fed beef on offer. Not cheap but trying to eat less but better when it comes to meat.

The misses has mentioned her before, apparently she’s a big Instagram advocate and influencer. Guess that adds a few shillings to the price. I’ll have a look .

Craftsman
    Hello. I have used these people as they are local to me and I am very happy with the quality of their goods. A couple of the shops here in the town also take their goods.

https://www.graigfarm.co.uk/

Regards

V

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post

Just wanted to come back to this thread with an update really. Ended up ordering from Pipers Farm (wasn't who i thought is was that was CoombeFarm or something) and ordered a few things from there including the free range chicken fillets, which were very good. We continue to order them to this day, but have taken on board was others have said and come to the conclusion I/we were eating far too much meat in the first place. portions have dramatically reduced as well.

Now the next bit is controversial especially for me as im a full blooded carnivore, ive started have meat free days each week!

Yes i watched a few of the documentaries on netflix, 'The Game changer' being one of them and its made me rethink a few things. The seaspircay was another one, plus some reading around the subject, it actually makes more sense to give my digestive system a break from all the meat i plough into it.
    Ive also started eating Turkey as an alternative to Chicken which i really like, works out cost effective as well (i just roast a turkey join/roll on a sunday)

so last night, supporting local business and all that, i ordered a vegetarian (sorry had to use that word, didn't use the other V word though) from a home cooked place recommended by my local curry house of all places. She's indian, and cooks street style plus a few select curries.
    I was most pleasantly surprised by the freshness and flavours, felt very traditional and deffinatley home cooked from scratch. she was lovely as well, came out to the car, masked up, all bagged up, in the car and home. Cashu-nut veg rice, Veg samosas (like indian pasties!), Korma style curry, crazy little dips and roti bread, obviously as its tradition we order far to much, just to get a taster. Very happy we did.

So that's it, now got 3 days a week meat free, with another day we just have a simple plain thin crust margarita pizza and salad (glass of red) im amazed how easy its been, but more importantly how much meat i was eating unnecessarily. im not going to preach about the impact the consumption of meat is having as prior to me understanding more about that whole cartel, sorry 'the food industry' i wouldn't of given a crap. eyes open, happy to make the shift towards a healthier choice for me and the ...... I'm going to have to say it, the planet (cringe, sorry)

as you were

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Just wanted to come back to this thread with an update really. Ended up ordering from Pipers Farm (wasn't who i thought is was that was CoombeFarm or something) and ordered a few things from there including the free range chicken fillets, which were very good. We continue to order them to this day, but have taken on board was others have said and come to the conclusion I/we were eating far too much meat in the first place. portions have dramatically reduced as well.

Now the next bit is controversial especially for me as im a full blooded carnivore, ive started have meat free days each week!

Yes i watched a few of the documentaries on netflix, 'The Game changer' being one of them and its made me rethink a few things. The seaspircay was another one, plus some reading around the subject, it actually makes more sense to give my digestive system a break from all the meat i plough into it.
    Ive also started eating Turkey as an alternative to Chicken which i really like, works out cost effective as well (i just roast a turkey join/roll on a sunday)

so last night, supporting local business and all that, i ordered a vegetarian (sorry had to use that word, didn't use the other V word though) from a home cooked place recommended by my local curry house of all places. She's indian, and cooks street style plus a few select curries.
    I was most pleasantly surprised by the freshness and flavours, felt very traditional and deffinatley home cooked from scratch. she was lovely as well, came out to the car, masked up, all bagged up, in the car and home. Cashu-nut veg rice, Veg samosas (like indian pasties!), Korma style curry, crazy little dips and roti bread, obviously as its tradition we order far to much, just to get a taster. Very happy we did.

So that's it, now got 3 days a week meat free, with another day we just have a simple plain thin crust margarita pizza and salad (glass of red) im amazed how easy its been, but more importantly how much meat i was eating unnecessarily. im not going to preach about the impact the consumption of meat is having as prior to me understanding more about that whole cartel, sorry 'the food industry' i wouldn't of given a crap. eyes open, happy to make the shift towards a healthier choice for me and the ...... I'm going to have to say it, the planet (cringe, sorry)

as you were
    Very sensible. Re veggie food Indian cuisine has some terrific dishes as a high % of the population is vegetarian. Lebanese and Italian too. And you'll end up saving quite a bit on the weekly shop which you can put towards better quality meat as it seems you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Very sensible. Re veggie food Indian cuisine has some terrific dishes as a high % of the population is vegetarian. Lebanese and Italian too. And you'll end up saving quite a bit on the weekly shop which you can put towards better quality meat as it seems you have done.
    And of course Thai food as you very well no mate. You're spot on, i think the V word is what causes issue for most, I'm certainly not stopping eating meat, but choosing my meals with it in more wisely and with more consideration. If i think back to when i was a kid we had meat maybe once/twice a week. Dad said they rarely had meat, best they got was lard butties ffs! he wasn't kidding either.

We always by veg anyway and probably throw less away now, always buy organic veg/fruit where possible. the thing is the food industry is a mighty machine, that in itself deserves another thread if it hasn't already got one, don't start me of on the sugar industry, those guys make pablo look like a saint!

rant over ohmmmmmm
    Namaste lol