closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Hotpoint Tumble Dryers still a fire hazard?

Craftsman

Are Hotpoint Tumble Dryers still a fire hazard?

Mornin'
    I have a bit of an issue with my Hotpoint Tumble Dryer, it was replaced as part of their recall programme in late 2016, we got a fairly decent condensing model (FTCF 87B) as a replacement, I think I paid an extra £50.

After 4 years or so of operation it displayed a intermittent fault code (F04) which relates to pump operation and normally means the controller module needs replacing. I immediately signed up to their maintenance cover deal (about £15 a month, they knew there was a live fault and offered this as an option) and they promised an engineer the next day. This was cancelled without explanation.

As we have washes going on every day for kids school uniform etc, given the error code was intermittent and they hadn't told me to stop using the machine, I perhaps foolishly continued to use the machine. Until that is the house was filled with the smell of smoke and I found the machine running extremely hot. There wasn't visible smoke coming from the machine but the thick lingering odour was there and if unattended I truly think the outcome could have been catastrophic.

I have contacted them and the fact the tumble dryer appears to be a fire hazard seems to have captured their attention. They cancelled the engineer that had been rescheduled to attend today and scheduled a safety inspection for tomorrow.

So, question is what is a reasonable outcome? I dont really feel comfortable with this unit or model, I am not sure if I really want any further products from hotpoint but accept a replacement is probably a reasonable offer. Do you think I should let anyone know about this, trading standards, as it occurs to me that there could still be issues with these products? Any similar experiences?

Sounds horrific. I don’t run mine unattended at all tbh. Glad no one got harmed. I’d want a new machine.

I can't comment on your particular situation, but Hotpoint's continued recalls and slow speed of repair or replacement means that I won't be buying any more Hotpoint products.

The parent company is Whirlpool; these are their UK brands:

• Bauknecht
    • Hotpoint
    • Indesit
    • KitchenAid
    • Maytag
    • Whirlpool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlp...nd_controversy

Leave the brand behind, your safety and peace of mind are worth more than the cost of a new machine.

Grand Master
    What is the cause of the overheating problem? I would expect the manufacturer to have resolved this.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Leave the brand behind, your safety and peace of mind are worth more than the cost of a new machine.
    Agreed, shocking they can't sort this after all the publicity about it.
    I would be looking at what 'Which' would be recommending.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be happy with a Hotpoint dryer after the slow response to the original problems.

IIRC they said at the time that tumble dryers need a filter cleaning regularly - this is the Which guide to looking after them https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tumb...e-a43Lb8u6r8ou Not sure whether you follow these guidelines - it sounds rather a lot of hassle to me (I haven't bothered with a tumble dryer for over 30 years, but there is just the two of us)

Wouldn't go near one personally, if I had a choice.

I think your model number is on the recall list :

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/wh...acement-312770
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Is four years not a good amount of usage?
    I would definitely not use it or the brand again, even if they say it has been fixed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    I think your model number is on the recall list :

https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/wh...acement-312770
    FFS you are right! They know I have this model as they had issued due to another recall.. you would have thought they would have made proactive contact... criminal!

If I have understood it correctly, Hotpoint replaced a defective machine with a new machine which also now has a recall on it.

If that is correct, I suspect you have everything you really need to know already about where your next machine should NOT come from.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I opted for a new machine when Hotpoint offered.But Its only left plugged in when in use,and allowed to cool down if we leave the house.

Master
    Without wish to cause a stink, why buy a cheap model in the first place. Yes they are dirt cheap but the do have a limited lifespan and you are on a treadmill of buying something every few years which is bad for the environment and bad for your waller.

Buy something like a Miele which will probably last 20 years.

Miele aren’t what they used to be in my experience although they are still better than the cheap stuff.

We generally buy cheap tumble driers as my wife hammers them. If they last four years I’d consider that a good life.

Given how my wife panics, I’ve kept a spare washing machine and tumble drier in the garage before now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Without wish to cause a stink, why buy a cheap model in the first place. Yes they are dirt cheap but the do have a limited lifespan and you are on a treadmill of buying something every few years which is bad for the environment and bad for your waller.

Buy something like a Miele which will probably last 20 years.
    My previous dryer was a Miele,got on first name terms with the breakdown engineer it went wrong so often.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Miele aren’t what they used to be in my experience although they are still better than the cheap stuff.

We generally buy cheap tumble driers as my wife hammers them. If they last four years I’d consider that a good life.

Given how my wife panics, I’ve kept a spare washing machine and tumble drier in the garage before now.
    I don't really know if the current Miele are as good or not than the older models but our washing machine is about 20 years old and has gone on without any trouble and the dishwasher we bought last year seems fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    My previous dryer was a Miele,got on first name terms with the breakdown engineer it went wrong so often.
    Well at least they came out.

Master
    Our Hotpoint cooker is a nightmare. The thermocouples (+ safety valves) constantly play up and either don't allow the flame to stay on or refuse to light. According to the internet searches I have done, it is a common problem and Hotpoint's only answer is that it is a "safety feature"! We stopped buying Hotpoint washers on the advice of a friend in the washing machine repair trade!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What is the cause of the overheating problem? I would expect the manufacturer to have resolved this.
    I think the fundamental problem is they’re using plastic parts to cut cost even on replacements.

Master
    Our Hotpoint washing machine is 15 years old now and hasn’t gone wrong at all in that time despite running pretty much all day every day! I guess the quality has gone down hill on the newer models though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Our Hotpoint washing machine is 15 years old now and hasn’t gone wrong at all in that time despite running pretty much all day every day! I guess the quality has gone down hill on the newer models though.

I must admit we have a Hotpoint Washing Machine which has been used heavily for 9 years which is absolutely fine.

I was very angry to hear that my tumble dryer had been recalled and that they had failed to notify me, but checking online I think only certain generations are effected and my serial number is clear... albeit based on my current experience perhaps wrongly so.

I do see Miele in our future, we have one of their dish washers, simple and robust!

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post

All day every day, are old machines very slow? Four of us and 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week is all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Well at least they came out.
    I had a Miele induction hob that failed in early December. Having had the Engineer cancel in me three times and the next visit scheduled for December 23rd, I gave up, went out and bought a Smeg.

It’s still going strong five years later.

Blog Entries
    Not wishing to just ‘bandwagon jump’ but given their woeful product quality and issues of recent years, I would not have any Hotpoint appliance in the house even if I was offered it free!

I have a hotpoint washing machine at present, the second we’ve had in 15 years and each cost me about £300, they get a daily hammering as we have a son with special needs and we often have to do the bedding. I won’t be buying another hotpoint made product on principle, the way they have acted in the last few years seems criminal to me and let’s face it, it’s easy to vote with your wallet. I really don’t get the whole £1000+ washing machine thing, unless of course you’re wealthy and just don’t care. With the advent of companies like ao.com, you can get a new machine delivered and the old one taken away in 24 hours flat, and looking at online reviews the quality of Miele looks like it has dropped like everything else. Ymmv of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk