closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covid causing spiraling energy costs.

Tbh spending more than 30 quid on something that tells the time when we all own phones is stupid but we still do it

Right now the use of a coffee and sandwich after a walk in Padstow feels like the meaning of life 1k feels like a bargain

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Tbh spending more than 30 quid on something that tells the time when we all own phones is stupid but we still do it

Right now the use of a coffee and sandwich after a walk in Padstow feels like the meaning of life 1k feels like a bargain

No residual in a sandwich.

Depends what's in it, I have pork and gold leaf

Our heating has pretty much been on all day at a constant 19-20º and goes off when we go to bed. It doesn't take long to get the house warm then the thermostat keeps it there, so it's not firing up constantly.

All four of us are in all day and all wearing jumpers so hardly taking the pi55. I refuse to wear a coat indoors like some kind of Dickensian miser.

Last week the heating was off a lot because outside was 7º or so and that makes a big difference.

The outside temperature is back down to 2-3º so the heating is on again.

Bills have risen a bit but not so dramatically I'm panicking. I'm saving close to £700 a month on travel and other city working expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Our heating has pretty much been on all day at a constant 19-20º and goes off when we go to bed. It doesn't take long to get the house warm then the thermostat keeps it there, so it's not firing up constantly.

All four of us are in all day and all wearing jumpers so hardly taking the pi55. I refuse to wear a coat indoors like some kind of Dickensian miser.
    Do you live in an old house? The heating comes on for 45 minutes in the morning and then we might boost it mid-afternoon for a bit but otherwise it's off?

Having said that if I was cold, I'd boost it more as well.

We have Nest, set to 19 for a hour in the morning and coming on at 3, at 17 the rest of the day. Nest learns your routine and adjusts

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have Nest, set to 19 for a hour in the morning and coming on at 3, at 17 the rest of the day. Nest learns your routine and adjusts

Try a cold blooded wife and toddler. 22 deg in our gaff

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Sympathies, Nest won't award you any monthly leafs for that

Electric boilers are dear to run, we have a 14.4kw boiler running over 20 rads and it’ll cost about £2.50 to get the heating up from 15 overnight to 18 first thing in the morning. It cuts in and out throughout the day to maintain 17 degrees. It can easily cost over a tenner a day.
    However off set that against everything else and I’ve not noticed the additional heating costs

SydR
    I’ve worked from home since March 2020 for between 50 and 80% of the week (it’s currently at the top end of that).

Heating ‘on’ hours have not been altered from usual settings. My home office is in one of the naturally warmer parts of the home and a jumper suffices.

There is a bit of extra electricity being used but calculations show its around 20p a day so isn’t going to break the bank.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sympathies, Nest won't award you any monthly leafs for that

I know, I like the nest thermostat though and will getting another for the new gaff.

That’s on LPG so not looking forward to the bills.
    Last edited by Middo; 24th January 2021 at 17:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    No travel card - £7.20ish
    No Starbucks (other franchises are available) £3
    No itsu £6 ish
    No afternoon Starbucks £3

Conservative estimate is I’m not spending £20 a day on the above...wife likewise. Call it £50 for both of us on average inc additional drinks or snacks etc. So £1000 a month. I don’t think our costs have increased that much with additional food/electric/gas at home.

We are very lucky that we have been able to continue to work from home.
    I think you need to start taking butties to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Do you live in an old house? The heating comes on for 45 minutes in the morning and then we might boost it mid-afternoon for a bit but otherwise it's off?

Having said that if I was cold, I'd boost it more as well.
    Victorian end of terrace. Double glazing and all that, but if we turned it off after 45 minutes we'd be freezing within an hour.

We used to have a garage block against the end wall but that was demolished last year and it is noticeably colder now. Eventually they'll be a house built there which will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    22 is just comfy.

How else are you going to be able to walk around home in just your pants?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I had been in the process of putting smart valves on my radiators and due to increased WFH have bought a few more.

I now have a WFH routine rather than "day off" routine which only heats the room I am working in during the day but warms the lounge etc. earlier than a working day as no journey home. Not cheap at about 50 or so a radiator but has been a help when WFH.

My wife is currently in the loft watching TV sat next to a radiator which is on max with a blanket on her. I've just checked and Nest is on 22.5, it's boiling. She has the velux in the same room a third of the way open because "she wants the air but doesn't want to be cold". Can't wait for the bill.

My Nest goes to 22 and it sends me warning emails from Greta Thunberg

Last edited by Daveya.; 24th January 2021 at 17:15.

Master
    My Nest goes to 22 and it sends me warning emails from Greta Thunberg

Just burn Greta in the boiler?