closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dial restoration advice

Dial restoration advice

Hi guys i know to some dial restoration is a no no but I purchase0d a bit of a grail watch at a cheapish price and the problem well the dial is a damaged faded ghost.

I had always hankered after a bauhaus longines calatrava but I just couldn't find this model until this came up on ebay.
    I didn't pay a silly price about £290 it loses a bit of time so a service is needed.
    I did think I could live with the dial but even to me its a tad too much.
    Now I have been told the possible water damage could be cleaned up and sympathetically restored keeping some patina and character, I would consider this but every company I've contacted will not do partial restoration.

I just know if I could go down the full restoration route.

Has anyone done partial restoration on here, I'm not worried about selling it on as its a keeper.

The chances of me finding a replacement dial look slim.

Thanks for looking any help would be appreciated.

Baden

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Although I am not a fan of patina, I actually quite like the look of that as it is - though of course it may look different in the flesh!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Although I am not a fan of patina, I actually quite like the look of that as it is - though of course it may look different in the flesh!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I would just love a slight bit more definition from the logo and numerals hence the idea of partial restoration appealed to me.

I'd enquire with a couple of obvious Longines collectors and see if they're aware of any loose ones that are floating around. Wibbs on here or maybe Sylvie (Syrte) on MWR - clearly if they say it can't be had then you have a dilemma.

I'm not a fan of redials and, if I was going to commission something, I'd still pursue an option which allows you to keep the original (even if it means finding a loose dial in even worse condition that you can get scraped). Plenty of patience methinks - at least the patina is even.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Ditto - It looks like it's made of snakeskin, making it uniquely cool.
    I'd keep this as is, and look at getting a Bauhaus style Nomos if you want a crisp looking dial.

Have you thought about asking on here:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/longines-watch-forum/

The UG bunch are normally very helpful (I'm one of them).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thanks for the input guys I’m going to take my time over this, I do like Carlton’s idea about buying another dial to refinish.

As an aside, the hour hand doesn't look central, it appears to have been bent to the left at some point although it could just be the angle of the photograph. However if it is bent it would be good to see if it could be straightened whilst you're sorting the dial.

Wow fantastic! This watch is on my bucket list as well. Is this the 35mm version? There was a jumbo variant, which is very scarce (only seen once on the bay in the time frame of say 4-5 years, was sold for a ballistic price)
    I'd leave the dial as it is, replacement dials do pop up time to time... in fact i believe there is one i saw the other day. Is it cal 12.68z ?

Whomever you get to do this, try and get sight of the design or cliche before they print.
    I have seen too many re-dials where the re-print is excellent quality, on an excellent base, but they have used the wrong brand font, or the wrong numeral font, or bold font when it should be normal. or 60 second indices where there should be 12 and so forth.
    You like this watch because of its (beautifully) distincitve style, it would be disastrous to allow someone to do you a dial that ignores that style in any way.
    D