closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Valjoux 7734 Question.

Valjoux 7734 Question.

Anyone have a vintage chrono with a Valjoux 7734 movement in it?

I have one that is working fine, but I noticed that the ticking sound is quite distinctive. It has a sort of 'twanging' sound with each tick. It almost sounds as it it's resonating or something.

Obviously I'm concerned that the movement is worn/ready to fail in some respect, or if this is a normal characteristic of the 7734 movement.

If anyone has a 7734 can you please hold it to your ear and see if the ticking sound is 'twangy' or not.

Cheers.

Mine has more of a 'tingy' sound than 'twangy' hope this helps....

In all seriousness, it would be very difficult to compare watch to watch on description of sound alone; (let alone confirming what twangy means from one person to another)
    Just because it has the same movement does not mean it will sound the same, cases are different thicknesses, shapes with different crystals etc. This will all affect the sound you hear. introduce the prospect of worn parts and it could make a different sound... I have a roamer, a CWC and a Heuer with variations of this movement in it and they all sound different.
    The only way you will know if a watch needs attention is to take it to a watch maker, if its not acting up or losing time I would say all is well.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st January 2021 at 14:26.

The 773X has quite a loud tick (I find a loud tick satisfying!)
    As mentioned above, different case designs will amplify sound in different ways.

Listening to a watch without equipment is not a great indicator of the health of a watch.
    It is possible to hear when a watch is "knocking the banking" by ear, as the tick sounds like a galloping horse due to the "extra" sound of the impulse pin hitting the pallet fork. Sometimes the ear can also pick up unwanted rubbing noises.
    Other than this, you really need a timegrapher to draw any conclusions from the sound of a watch. The more sophisticated timegraphers can give all sorts of information on the tick and the tock, and every noise in between!

OK. Thanks both.