closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Using a client's MS Office 365

Using a client's MS Office 365

More ignorance from me.

I use Microsoft 365 already on my laptop. It works fine, I don't have to log on although I'm permanently connected to the WiFi.

A client has asked me to do some work. They have sent me a link to Microsoft 365 with a new username, a password and an email address.

Presumably I download their versions and then I run two sets of software in parallel?

Are there any privacy issues i.e. tracking content I need to watch out for?

Master
    you don't need 2 instances of the same software, you will merely be using their account, their cloud storage etc, there should be no need to download o365 all over again

Thanks Totty, so if I'm working on other business that's nothing to do with the client, there's no way they could see content that's nothing to do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks Totty, so if I'm working on other business that's nothing to do with the client, there's no way they could see content that's nothing to do with them?
    No, as you are logging in to their ‘workspace’ in O365 that is identified by the domain name of the log in credentials. If you want to work on your own items, then log in with your own credentials and they won’t have any access to see anything.

I'm probably being a bit slow here but if I have multiple documents open, some of which are the client's and some which aren't, I need to specifically keep logging in and out of the correct MS Office before I open / close each one?

Master
    If you're using Office 365 in a browser, you could use a different browser for your own stuff to keep them separate and avoid logging out. For example Firefox for your own stuff, Chrome for the client.

This is the best solution for you.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    If you're using Office 365 in a browser, you could use a different browser for your own stuff to keep them separate and avoid logging out. For example Firefox for your own stuff, Chrome for the client.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I'm probably being a bit slow here but if I have multiple documents open, some of which are the client's and some which aren't, I need to specifically keep logging in and out of the correct MS Office before I open / close each one?

No - because Office knows which account which files are associated with.

Let's take me - at home I have:

Alan Smithee Corporate account
    Alan Smithee Consultancy Account
    Alan Smithee Private files

All of these are associated with different log-ins - when I open the files word, excel etc know which account which file is associated with - there is no cross-over and no need to log in and out.

So take this image - in word on my desktop - I'm signed into word with my corporate account and my private account - word indicates in the top-right hand corner which account is being used to save the file.

Because I'm working on a corporate file that is indicated as the account currently used - if I started working on a private file - the account would switch in size (I think that makes sense):

It's also clear which onedrive is which:

The white is mine (if I hoover over it says "onedrive - personal") and the right is my corporate ("Onedrive - Corporation name")
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 21st January 2021 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

All of these are associated with different log-ins - when I open the files word, excel etc know which account which file is associated with - there is no cross-over and no need to log in and out.

So take this image - in word on my desktop - I'm signed into word with my corporate account and my private account - word indicates in the top-right hand corner which account is being used to save the file.

Because I'm working on a corporate file that is indicated as the account currently used - if I started working on a private file - the account would switch in size (I think that makes sense):

The white is mine (if I hoover over it says "onedrive - personal") and the right is my corporate ("Onedrive - Corporation name")
    Interesting, didn't know that (but I've only go one account). What if you get a 3rd party file - does it give you an option of which account to open it with?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This is the best solution for you.
    Thanks both. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Alan, I owe you a beer. Brilliant. Actually, I probably owe you all a beer. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Interesting, didn't know that (but I've only go one account). What if you get a 3rd party file - does it give you an option of which account to open it with?
    Depends on a couple of factors - if they sent me to my work email - it would open with that account, if they sent it to my private with that. If a different email - It would prompt me to save it with onedrive and I'd pick. If I saved it on the desktop it would save with neither.