closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I bought this old Omega....

I bought this old Omega....

Whilst browsing TZ about 5 years ago, I spotted this:

The apparent antiquity, the easily-readable 40mmish dial, the reasonable price - I fell in love.

I was fairly sure that it was a tinkered-with pocket watch. On removing the caseback, no serial no. was visible; I wasn't too bothered about that as I knew that the serial no. was often to be found behind the dial. And so it proved...

I have a suitably experienced watchmaker conducting a forensic strip, examination, and service. He found the serial number behind the dial as was expected.

Can anyone add any information based on the serial no.? It apparently dates the movement to 1906.
    Last edited by unclealec; 21st January 2021 at 00:30.

Master
    Who ever converted this into a wrist watch made a really nice job of it.

Grand Master
    1906 looks good, and the movement is the correct period too. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Omega_19
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

A pocket watch with the sub-secs at 3? Very unlikely. Can we have a picture of the movement please?

A gorgeous thing by the way.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    A pocket watch with the sub-secs at 3? Very unlikely. Can we have a picture of the movement please?

the dial has the movement number stamped on the back too.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Sub seconds at 6?
    It's just a matter of time...

here's a 1900 Hunter pocket watch with the sub-seconds at 90° to the crown (rather than directly opposite) which I suppose is what you are getting at

In fact, Google images shows that this layout was quite common for Omega's hunter-cased watches from the beginning of the century.
    Last edited by SimonK; 21st January 2021 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sub seconds at 6?
    One of the many fascinating quandaries about this piece Scott is that had it been a pocket watch originally, the subseconds would have been at the 3 o'clock position**, which may or not have occurred. Probably may*, as I can't bring myself to believe that I own the only 40mm wristwatch made by Omega in 1906.
    If there is a scenario under which I could, please anyone feel free to advise me. I will have one hell of an unusual piece here!

edit- *As has been proved whilst I was typing by SimonK

** in relation to the crown
    Last edited by unclealec; 21st January 2021 at 08:58.

Master
    What marks are in the caseback?

Master
    I’m afraid I can’t help with any of your specific questions but I would like to say what a lovely looking watch that is. Super find.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    here's a 1900 Hunter pocket watch with the sub-seconds at 90° to the crown (rather than directly opposite) which I suppose is what you are getting at

In fact, Google images shows that this layout was quite common for Omega's hunter-cased watches from the beginning of the century.
    Not just Omega either.

Although my Omega pocket watch does have the sub second at 180 degrees to the crown.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Checking the list of serial nos. emanating from Omega themselves, I now believe that the year of manufacture of the movement is 1908.

It is back from the forensic service.
    The watchmaker is experienced in this age and make of watch, and had some interesting observations:
    He is convinced that the case is silver which was originally gilded
    The case and movement are contemporary; he has no theory as to the pocket/wrist original/conversion/aftermarket question. He does think the caseback and case are original and contermporary with the movement, which the serial no. dates to 1908ish.
    The dial is a replacement; he believes it to be genuine Omega but not contemporary with the movement or case, so a redial. He thinks the original dial may have been enamel or porcelain and therefore probably damaged. I have seen Omega watches with very similar dials from a later period, as also the hands. I suspect this reinforces the recased pocket watch theory.
    Some less-than-expert repair has been carried out, which needed a new centre wheel making, and repair to the 4th wheel ( a re-pivot). He replaced a broken jewel and fitted a new mainspring, as well as a standard service.
    So, despite an expenditure way in excess of the watch's value, I am delighted to have preserved such an ancient timepiece for the forseeable future. It may be a bitsa - but it's MY bitsa!

Grand Master
    interesting, nice thing!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Money well spent - it's an absolutely lovely thing with a more-interesting-than-usual history to it. The works undertaken by its previous owners in the dim'n'distant past won't have been cheap, so it's obviously been treasured in its 113 year history: if watches could speak, what tales they'd tell...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    It is back from the forensic service.
    The watchmaker is experienced in this age and make of watch, and had some interesting observations:
    He is convinced that the case is silver which was originally gilded
    The case and movement are contemporary; he has no theory as to the pocket/wrist original/conversion/aftermarket question. He does think the caseback and case are original and contermporary with the movement, which the serial no. dates to 1908ish.
    The dial is a replacement; he believes it to be genuine Omega but not contemporary with the movement or case, so a redial. He thinks the original dial may have been enamel or porcelain and therefore probably damaged. I have seen Omega watches with very similar dials from a later period, as also the hands. I suspect this reinforces the recased pocket watch theory.
    Some less-than-expert repair has been carried out, which needed a new centre wheel making, and repair to the 4th wheel ( a re-pivot). He replaced a broken jewel and fitted a new mainspring, as well as a standard service.
    So, despite an expenditure way in excess of the watch's value, I am delighted to have preserved such an ancient timepiece for the forseeable future. It may be a bitsa - but it's MY bitsa!

I have several vintage Bitsa’s that I prefer to my standard watches and its nice to have something that no one else has.

Grand Master
    A very interesting watch, glad to hear this has turned out well. This job was far too rich for my blood so I was happy to recommend a guy who would do the watch justice. Horses for courses.