closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Speedmaster?

Master

What Speedmaster?

I’m in the market for a Speedmaster but I’m a tad confused about the models. Are all Moonwatches manual winders or are there some automatics in the mix? Are they safe to take swimming for instance?

I had a Reduced a few years ago that I regret selling but it was too small and felt quite delicate.

I have the chance to buy new through Ernest Jones with an 8.5% discount if the used market is too dry.

Thanks in advance.

There is a lot of choice when it comes to Speedmasters.

Manual wind, automatic or quartz.
    Analogue, digital or both.
    Vintage or modern.
    Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 or other cases

There are literally hundreds of options.

Moon watches (professionals) are manual wind
    The Mk2 is an auto
    Keep in mind that Omega released the new pro last week so if it’s an older model I would have thought you could do better than 8.5% as a discount.
    They are not known for being waterproof, I would not swim in mine being rated to 50m and having lots of holes in the case. Although I saw a guy wearing a vintage speedy in the sea off Antigua a few years back. - I had kittens thinking about it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th January 2021 at 21:55.

Master
    The 8.5% is a blanket discount I can take on top other any negotiated discount, if that helps.

I prefer the original Moonwatch aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    The 8.5% is a blanket discount I can take on top other any negotiated discount, if that helps.

I prefer the original Moonwatch aesthetic.
    If you like the watch and are happy with the price go for it I think they are a great watch. They are a design icon with real heritage. They look great on any strap and even better with a bit of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Moon watches (professionals) are manual wind
    The Mk2 is an auto
    Keep in mind that Omega released the new pro last week so if it’s an older model I would have thought you could do better than 8.5% as a discount.
    They are not known for being waterproof, I would not swim in mine being rated to 50m and having lots of holes in the case. Although I saw a guy wearing a vintage speedy in the sea off Antigua a few years back. - I had kittens thinking about it.
    You could be right, but given the new model is over £1,000 more than the outgoing one, I'm not sure it's a signal for big discounts.

Master
    Hesalite, manual wind Moonwatch Pro is the one to go for IMO but I'd make it a tritium dial affair.

I'm on my fourth. The three previous were modern superluminova lume versions which after a while weren't doing it for me and were moved on. My current version is a tritium dial 3590.50 from the early 90's, the markers and hands have started turning that lovely creamy colour.

For me, that one difference totally changes the character of the watch. Added to the wonderful, but sometimes savage on the arm hair 1479 bracelet, the vintage charm is there in bucketloads.

Like the previous poster I have a tritium dial 145.022 speed master with hesalite 'glass'
    Mine is from 1985 and has the lovely 1479 bracelet.

Last edited by Kevin; 22nd January 2021 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Like the previous poster I have a tritium dial 145.023 speed master with hesalite 'glass'
    Mine is from 1985 and has the lovely 1479 bracelet.
    What a lovely example. And for those of us not fortunate to have an original 1479, Uncle Seiko is developing one alongside his soon to be released 1450.

Master
    I was going to post this very same thread, I was looking at Speedies and found this website, I was there for quite a while!

https://paulgranelli.co.uk/?s=speedm...t_type=product

There’s a lovely, brand new FOIS on SC ;-)

I personally prefer the Pro with hesalite. If I had a smaller wrist... probably the FOIS would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

What Speedmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    There’s a lovely, brand new FOIS on SC ;-)

I personally prefer the Pro with hesalite. If I had a smaller wrist... probably the FOIS would be my choice.

I like both. I own a FOIS and personal think it wears much the same as a Pro on my 7.5 inch wrist. I have tried both back to back as such as a few mates have Pros.
    A pic for wrist size ref . My FOIS on my 7.5 inch wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 22nd January 2021 at 20:50.

This might be a bit controversial but for slightly more (actually not really, considering the prices of the new speedies), I would recommend the 60th anniversary Speedmaster. It’s as close to the original CK2915 as you can get for a fraction of the cost.

I attached a stolen photo and one of mine... but between the other options it’s the FOIS hands down for me!

Lovely watch

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I like both. I own a FOIS and personal think it wears much the same as a Pro on my 7.5 inch wrist. I have tried both back to back as such as a few mates have Pros.
    A pic for wrist size ref . My FOIS on my 7.5 inch wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looks quite petite. I think it’s the lack of the crown guard and bracelet.

Master

What Speedmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Looks quite petite. I think it’s the lack of the crown guard and bracelet.

Ha, I have a Monaco, Tudor bronze, Speedmaster MK2 (1969) and quite a few other largish watches and I must admit that this is the most slender (petit) watch of them all.
    I put the Forstner flat link bracelet on the FOIS this evening . It’s a bargain for £120 .
    Here’s a quick snap of that. I’ll leave out my hands in shot as they have the ability to make things look little.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 23rd January 2021 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Ha, I have a Monaco, Tudor bronze, Speedmaster MK2 (1969) and quite a few other largish watches and I must admit that this is the most slender (petit) watch of them all.
    I put the Forstner flat link bracelet on the FOIS this evening . It’s a bargain for £120 .
    Here’s a quick snap of that. I’ll leave out my hands in shot as they have the ability to make things look little.

Looks great! How’s the quality of these bracelets?

Master
    And how easy was it to fit?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    And how easy was it to fit?
    Pretty easy. Took about half an hour to fit and size. It comes with two little screw drivers for the sizing . Qualitywise it’s better than the £365 omega bracelet that I got for my MK2 speedmaster. Is it worth £120 ? I think so.