closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Dress Watches for Sensible Money...

Quality Dress Watches for Sensible Money...

I was looking for an option of a dressier/sports watch, without spending the same amounts as the more traditional choices of a DJ, AP Royal Oak, Nautilus, Overseas, Piaget, Cartier, or even maybe a well priced GP. Something I could wear anywhere without the added worry.

This led me to noticing a few of the newer Longines watches in the recent sales (and I came very close on a couple), but I also ended up looking at a few posts on here of the Tudor Style range, which I ultimately settled on.

I’m currently quite light on silver dial watches, otherwise I might have stuck with the traditional black (most of my watches are black dials), or the currently very popular blue dial (but both my DJII and 5711 are blue dials).

For the money, at least in the recent sales, I think it offers great value and obviously the backing of a reputable brand.

I like that it has some of the sunburst effects which changes depending on how the light hits, similar to some other dials within the overall group, but it’s not quite as striking as my old silver dial DJ. Also, despite being mostly dial, and rated at 41mm, I think it looks fairly small on my thick wrist - which is why I don’t really get on too well with 36-38mm watches.

Any other well priced options...
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 20th January 2021 at 17:29.
    It's just a matter of time...

They don't get much love on here but the Montblanc Heritage is one of my favourites and in sales are about the same sale price as the Tudor (£1200-£1400 depending on model).

That’s a very good call. I’ve owned a couple of MontBlanc watches in the last couple of years, and they’ve been really well finished, and one was the only watch I’ve had timed at 0 secs a day deviation.

There are still some MB sales each year, and they can be great buys either at sake or used prices. I was very tempted by a hand wind at under £800 new!

Craftsman
    Nomos would be my first thought. I'd consider most of their ranges to be more dress than sports, except the Club.
    In house movements, pretty original styling, good reputation and seemingly ok residuals (S/H going for similar prices to AD sale prices on the ones I've been eyeing).

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Nomos would be my first thought. I'd consider most of their ranges to be more dress than sports, except the Club.
    In house movements, pretty original styling, good reputation and seemingly ok residuals (S/H going for similar prices to AD sale prices on the ones I've been eyeing).
    Another great shout.

I did look at lots of Nomos when we visited Glashutte, but only a couple were large watches - outside my comfort at around £4K and up for the ones that stood out, and very limited choice on a bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    That’s a very good call. I’ve owned a couple of MontBlanc watches in the last couple of years, and they’ve been really well finished, and one was the only watch I’ve had timed at 0 secs a day deviation.

There are still some MB sales each year, and they can be great buys either at sake or used prices. I was very tempted by a hand wind at under £800 new!
    I think you might be referring to this one? I’ve been looking at it many times, seems a real bargain

That’s the one. Just crazily good value. I just have too many watches, and some purchases I can justify as using male logic they do a particular thing, have a particular place, or save a more expensive/rarer watch from potential mishaps.

If I was trying to be semi-sensible these days, I would have added that MB straight away, but as lovely as it is, I’m just not sure if it would just sit there while I took other watches out of the box in its place. Which would be a shame, as someone should get a lot of use out of that watch!

Master
    That’s the one. Just crazily good value. I just have too many watches, and some purchases I can justify as using male logic they do a particular thing, have a particular place, or save a more expensive/rarer watch from potential mishaps.

If I was trying to be semi-sensible these days, I would have added that MB straight away, but as lovely as it is, I’m just not sure if it would just sit there while I took other watches out of the box in its place. Which would be a shame, as someone should get a lot of use out of that watch!
    Yes, hopefully somebody on TZ snaps this up, I think it’s very hard to beat on value, and should be able to resale at same price on SC, 40mm, thin, time only dress watch, arguably the cousin of JLC being the Richemont stablemate.

Just noticed, although more sport than dress, they still have the Bremont Airmach in the sale in various colours with either strap or bracelets - got to be a decent price at 40% off.

Wearing this omega De Ville today and I think it probably fits your criteria somewhat?

Don’t know how much these are worth now as I’ve had them for years, but doubt that it’s more than 1500 or so. (My old man passed this to me so it’s one to keep forever ofc)

It came on a bracelet that’s actually very unique. Only issue is it’s too small for your wrist probably:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always like some of the more plain (I.e. rather than the usual dive bezels or chronographs) Omega offerings, and thankfully some come in bigger case sizes.

What size is the DeVille?

I’ve always like some of the more plain (I.e. rather than the usual dive bezels or chronographs) Omega offerings, and thankfully some come in bigger case sizes.

What size is the DeVille?
    It's only about 34-35mm excluding crown and 37-38 overall - works well for me tho!

It does look like a good size on your wrist. It’s always difficult to go by some of the brands stated sizing, as a number of them have changed the way they measure, and a 38mm by one brand may not be the same as a 38mm from another.

Master
    Have got to say that if I were looking for a dress watch right now I would definitely be looking at vintage 50s/60s/early-to-mid 70s as the prevailing size fits me better and the value from brands such as Longines is outstanding.

Such watches sit on SC often unsold for ages at crazy, tiny amounts of money.

Of course I understand the obsession with SS sports and dive watches for their practicality but dress watches can offer precious metal haute horology for buttons.

I appreciate that the watch below is not to everyone's taste, it is tiny in real life, but this is a solid gold VC which is ultra-slim (1.64mm) cal 1003 and with a sigma dial picked-up here on TZ for around £2k !

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Have got to say that if I were looking for a dress watch right now I would definitely be looking at vintage 50s/60s/early-to-mid 70s
    Seconded.

Although vintage omega Seamaster / Constellation has crept up, IWC, Longines and Seikos in excellent condition can be had for a song.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Have got to say that if I were looking for a dress watch right now I would definitely be looking at vintage 50s/60s/early-to-mid 70s as the prevailing size fits me better and the value from brands such as Longines is outstanding.

Such watches sit on SC often unsold for ages at crazy, tiny amounts of money.

Of course I understand the obsession with SS sports and dive watches for their practicality but dress watches can offer precious metal haute horology for buttons.

I appreciate that the watch below is not to everyone's taste, it is tiny in real life, but this is a solid gold VC which is ultra-slim (1.64mm) cal 1003 and with a sigma dial picked-up here on TZ for around £2k !

That’s a stunning watch. I would echo this; for a classic dress watch, going vintage can save a lot of money and allow you to afford something far nicer than if you were limiting your search solely to new watches. Vacherons like this one seem to me about the best deal out there in the watch world (to put it into perspective, Vacheron still uses the caliber 1003 movement on a dress watch that sells for almost £30k new), but you can also find great deals on classic dress Omegas and Longines, etc. Vintage isn’t for everyone but it’s worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree with the vintage sentiment.
    I bought a lovely Gold Plated Smiths Astral (from 1966), with a lovely diagonal linen dial from Ebay, and then got it fully serviced by one of the better Smiths experts in this country for under £400.
    It is one of the most lovely things for the money that you can get.
    Look at vintage, it is worth it.
    Dave

I got this one recently...Really like it, I'm a fan of Longines, always found them to be good value for money too....

Would also agree with previous comments regarding Month Blanc....cracking watches for the money!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    That’s a stunning watch. I would echo this; for a classic dress watch, going vintage can save a lot of money and allow you to afford something far nicer than if you were limiting your search solely to new watches. Vacherons like this one seem to me about the best deal out there in the watch world (to put it into perspective, Vacheron still uses the caliber 1003 movement on a dress watch that sells for almost £30k new), but you can also find great deals on classic dress Omegas and Longines, etc. Vintage isn’t for everyone but it’s worth a look.

Thanks for the kind comment Lantenac06, As many know, the movement in this watch was co developed in a collaboration between VC, JLC and AP, which underlines the extraordinary effort required. A nice strip-down of this movement (not my watch, of course) is given here:https://watchguy.co.uk/service-vache...-calibre-1003/. The miniature size of the components is quite something to see.

Anyway, as some here also already know, I get invited to the House of Lords very occassionally for the odd slightly posh "do". I always wear this VC due to it being stealthy and of nice quality, as all good dress watches should be. Suffice to say it never loooks out of place.

In fact I have another submission - vintage UG dress watches. I’m a huge fan of universal Geneve and they are still quite easy to find. The oversized ones are up to 38-39 mm in diameter, so that might work!

Would the Tissot Gentleman fit into your criteria?

Black, blue or silver dial. 40mm, Swiss movement with 80 hours power reserve, very classic design but a hint of a sporty edge. Very competitively priced too I’d say. In fact the silver dial is currently on sale:

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/tis...BoC1LMQAvD_BwE

Grand Master
    this (not mine) has been floating around sc for a while, i think it's a phenomenal watch, wish i could justify it financially at the moment. just think how much a modern version of this would be. a true high end dress watch for not that much money.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=vacheron
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

They don't get much love here but £1200 for something with a manufacture movement and poor resale value baked in?

https://www.burrells.co.uk/collectio...ch-fc-710mc4h4

Blog Entries
    I’d recommend Vulcain as a left field, less commonly spotted option.

RRP is above budget, but they are sometimes discounted.

z

Grand Master
    a recent buy of mine, a mine 9ct solid gold omega seamaster BL1665032 9ct solid gold case. from about 1969 (birth year). it's why i'm clearing a few cheapies out in sc at the moment

Last edited by ktmog6uk; 24th January 2021 at 13:39.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    a recent buy of mine, a mine 9ct solid gold omega seamaster BL1665032 9ct solid gold case. from about 1969 (birth year). it's way i'm clearing a few cheapies out in sc at the moment

Like that a lot ! Congratulations on your purchase.

If you like your dress watches a bit on the larger side, take a look at the Eterna Legacy 1948 models.
    These come with a variety of movements and dial colors on straps or bracelet.
    The discounted prices seem quite keen for the build quality.

Master
    This arrived in the post a few days ago and I quite like it. It’s simple and wearable for a slight change from all my bracelet watches in the evening and weekend.

Master
    I think for dress watches at reasonable pricing I would go with Baume & Mercier they have a large range to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I think for dress watches at reasonable pricing I would go with Baume & Mercier they have a large range to choose from.

That date window makes me shudder. What size is this, 42mm?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Yes I agree, if your gonna have a date at least be able to read it or why bother upsetting the aesthetics of the Watch

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The watch is 42 they have others at 39 and 40 as well it's only one picture of one watch. The date looks to be in size with the symmetric of the dial if it had a cyclops it would be vilified. Anyhow, pictures really never do a watch it's true justice anyway.

Master
    This 38mm Hamilton Intramatic is a fantastic vintage looking, value for money watch.

https://youtu.be/aPQSt7dwxjA

Tourby are excellent quality and great value, plus you have different size options with some models, and the potential for customisation.

etc...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Tourby are excellent quality and great value, plus you have different size options with some models, and the potential for customisation.

etc...
    That first one is gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    I think the explorer can pull it off as a dress watch.

I saw a picture of Tom hanks wearing one with a tuxedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    I think the explorer can pull it off as a dress watch.

I saw a picture of Tom hanks wearing one with a tuxedo.
    It definitely could, but they are £5200 new.

How about this on Sales Corner?

For Sale: Dornblüth & Sohn Calibre 99.4 - full set
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=488500

Or the King Seiko??
    Both these As off the wall suggestions

Craftsman
    With the Seiko badge it perhaps doesn't have the prestige people are looking for, but, I don't think the Seiko Presage should be overlooked.

My brown dial version below - there are plenty of dial options to choose from, and I think they are exceptionally well priced.

If you can get past needing a precious metal case, then my suggestion would be a Habring Felix. It’s almost certainly my next watch, as soon as the UK dealer reopens. £4200

For something vintage, my IWC Cal 89 was roughly £1000

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 31st January 2021 at 00:34.

It definitely could, but they are £5200 new.
    How about the Tudor bb 41 currently on sale?

https://www.prestonandduckworth.co.u...ts/m79540-0007

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    If you can get past needing a precious metal case, then my suggestion would be a Habring Felix. It’s almost certainly my next watch, as soon as the UK dealer reopens. £4200
    I'd love a Foudroyante Felix.
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on whichever you get.

How about the Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Ultra Slim. This was a stunning watch with great reviews. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...rie-ultra-slim

Not sure if you can still get them but RRP was £1735. I picked mine up off fleabay for £900.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    How about the Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Ultra Slim. This was a stunning watch with great reviews.
    Very nice.

[QUOTE=helidoc;5660010]
    For something vintage, my IWC Cal 89 was roughly £1000

The IWC is beautiful

For something else slightly off the usual radar, Certina's DS-1 Big Date has gone from being a 60th anniversary special (degradé green dial) to a small range, also with degradé dials, now including blue and charcoal grey, and all availabe from £600 - £800 depending on bracelet options and source...

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    How about the Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Ultra Slim. This was a stunning watch with great reviews.
    Lovely watch, that.