closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subwoofer advice - REL, SVS, BK??

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    How is the finish on these? Gloss black is likely preferred option if I were to go this route
    I am completely happy with it and I do check these thing pretty well. It arrives in a large heavy box that is well protected. I was in contact with the guys off the webpage and they answered all my questions. There was a bit of a delay from ordering to receiving but that was due to the start of the pandemic. I have no issues with recommending them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I am completely happy with it and I do check these thing pretty well. It arrives in a large heavy box that is well protected. I was in contact with the guys off the webpage and they answered all my questions. There was a bit of a delay from ordering to receiving but that was due to the start of the pandemic. I have no issues with recommending them.
    I’ve had a few and the finish is spot on. I don’t think it’s the case now, but BK used to make subs for REL.

Just read the reviews. Almost universally agreed to be the best at their price point. I have 2 P12-300SBs now as I found it impossible to get a good position for the single SVS SB13 Ultra I had, and couldn’t justify spending another £2k. Not as good as the SVS obviously, but at about a 5th of the price they’re excellent.

I have the BKSLX 2000 as part of my 5.1 system and my 2 channel to back my ATC speaker up
    Its a great bit of kit and hard to beat at the price

Craftsman
    Do a lot of BK subs have issues with hum?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Do a lot of BK subs have issues with hum?
    My one did hum and so I contacted BK and they supplied my with a DC blocker cable which really helped

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    My one did hum and so I contacted BK and they supplied my with a DC blocker cable which really helped
    A lot of hum issues are caused by multiple earth loops that need breaking. Often the culprit is a multiple connection extension. Rarely the sub itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A lot of hum issues are caused by multiple earth loops that need breaking. Often the culprit is a multiple connection extension. Rarely the sub itself.
    My one made the humming noise when plugs directly in the wall socket BK know about this and offered my a DC blocker mains lead

Last edited by bazza.; 27th October 2021 at 19:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    My one made the humming noise when plugs directly in the wall socket BK know about this and offered my a DC blocker mains lead
    Mine wouldn't stop the hum even with the DC blocker mains. Tried a lot of options to troubleshoot but nothing made a difference so I ended up returning it. They were excellent through the whole process.

I've got a BK in the loft for my cinema, it hums a little but it's never been a problem. Does the job well.

The other company you should consider is Arendal...

https://arendalsound.com/

They are a Norwegian company and make fabulous subs, both for music and home cinema. I've got a 1961 1s I use for my main stereo set up and it's really very good indeed. Also great customer service, warranties etc, definitely worth 5 minutes of your time looking at their website

Craftsman
    Thanks- will take a look

After much procrastination, the sub arrived today. Well, not sub, but subs. Mrs W acknowledged that one huge sub would look much worse than 2 smaller ones. So two Rel T7xs and I have spent a very enjoyable day setting them up. The set up for Rels is a bit complex as they have to be calibrated and wired in twice, once for two channel/music and again for multichannel/home theatre. Very strange, but their YouTube videos are excellent. Rel have also solved my dilemma about front firing versus floor firing by having both! The home theatre calibration will have to wait till tomorrow when the new RCA cables arrive. So far, very impressive and tuneful with two channel music, although it was never my intention to use it for this.

^^^^^ Excellent, worth spending time positioning them. I have a REL T Zero with Falcon Acoustics LS/35A's. The bass is just there when the music calls for it, natural and unforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    After much procrastination, the sub arrived today. Well, not sub, but subs. Mrs W acknowledged that one huge sub would look much worse than 2 smaller ones. So two Rel T7xs and I have spent a very enjoyable day setting them up. The set up for Rels is a bit complex as they have to be calibrated and wired in twice, once for two channel/music and again for multichannel/home theatre. Very strange, but their YouTube videos are excellent. Rel have also solved my dilemma about front firing versus floor firing by having both! The home theatre calibration will have to wait till tomorrow when the new RCA cables arrive. So far, very impressive and tuneful with two channel music, although it was never my intention to use it for this.

REW (free) software, a Microphone and a laptop if you really want to get them calibrated and set up properly, I at least recommend using their room simulator software to get some idea on the placement to get as even a response as possible

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
    Last edited by Vanguard; 25th October 2021 at 14:46.