closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is the plural of Nomos (Ahoi and Tangente comparison)

Craftsman

What is the plural of Nomos (Ahoi and Tangente comparison)

I don't know if this is of interest or not, but having taken the plunge and bought my Ahoi without being able to try it on, I wondered if a comparison between it and the Tangente might be useful. Although the Ahoi is not large by current standards, the long lugs and lack of bezel means that it wears large. I've wanted an Ahoi for ages, but worried that it would be too big. How do you get to try one on, even without Covid issues, when nobody seems to stock them in the UK?

I have to apologise for a couple of the pictures. I took them on my phone, and I should have wiped down the Ahoi after taking it off, as there are a couple of specks on the glass and some marks on the back. So here we go. First picture is a side by side comparison. The Tangente is 38mm and the Ahoi 40.3mm. Not much to call here. Interestingly Nomos say that they used a slightly more 'open' font for the dial on the Ahoi. Can't see the difference myself, but they're both handsome dials to my eyes:

If you look at the depth there is a clear difference. The Tangente is much thinner than the Ahoi but you can see that there really isn't much between them in terms of size:

The Ahoi, being 200m waterproof, has a slight dome in the crystal, where the Tangente is completely flat:

Ahoi

Tangente

The Ahoi has the red second hand and lumed main hands which, along with the crown guard, make it seem a bit 'chunkier' than the more delicate looking Tangente. The second dial is also marked for every second on the Ahoi, as opposed to every 5 seconds for the Tangente:

Finally, of course, both watches have display backs. The Ahoi is automatic compared to the hand wound Tangente. The Tangente is several years old, predating Nomos' in house 'swing system', whereas the Ahoi has the DUW5101 movement:

Incidentally, both watches have one (to me) majorly irritating feature, which is the lack of a quick set date. To set the date you have to wind past midnight, then back, and past midnight again. Compared to a quick set date it's a faff and means you can't set the date without also having to reset the time.

So there you go - a quick comparison. If, like me, you've toyed with the idea of an Ahoi but worry that it might be too big - it's really not much bigger than the Tangente, even if it is substantially deeper.

Incidentally, this isn't my Tangente. It used to be, but I gave it to my son a couple of years ago. He's away at university so the Tangente stays in my watchbox for safety, and he has a Hamilton that he wears instead. So, what is the plural of Nomos? Nomoses, Nomoi, Nomi?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both are very nice indeed.

Nice write up. I’ve always toyed with the idea of Nomos. Just the gap distance in the long lugs was always a bother. Still may try a Club one day. One of the shops at Bluewater so stock them, once lockdown is eased. What the lug to lug length on the Ahoi?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    So, what is the plural of Nomos? Nomoses, Nomoi, Nomi?
    My vote is Nomosceri

Thanks for sharing the write up.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Nice write up. I’ve always toyed with the idea of Nomos. Just the gap distance in the long lugs was always a bother. Still may try a Club one day. One of the shops at Bluewater so stock them, once lockdown is eased. What the lug to lug length on the Ahoi?
    I bought a Club a few months back and it just feels like a great quality watch. I would recommend and wear it more than anything these days. Defo would opt for a display back and use the Nomos strap sizer thingy on their website as they offer 5 sizes of strap for a good fit.

Nice write up. I’ve always toyed with the idea of Nomos. Just the gap distance in the long lugs was always a bother. Still may try a Club one day. One of the shops at Bluewater so stock them, once lockdown is eased. What the lug to lug length on the Ahoi? As large dial they wear big

Nice write up. I’ve always toyed with the idea of Nomos. Just the gap distance in the long lugs was always a bother. Still may try a Club one day. One of the shops at Bluewater so stock them, once lockdown is eased. What the lug to lug length on the Ahoi? As large dial they wear big
    You can say that again!

Loving the colours of your Ahoi!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

50mm lug to lug according to Google.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Master
    Was there a Nomos club on sc recently ?

Beautiful watches - I was offered the "limited edition" bone script salmon dial Nomos by The Hour Glass from Singapore... Was going to fly there for it (and visit some old friends) but unfortunately Covid had other ideas

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Beautiful watches - I was offered the "limited edition" bone script salmon dial Nomos by The Hour Glass from Singapore... Was going to fly there for it (and visit some old friends) but unfortunately Covid had other ideas
    Have ordered a Club 701, due in May apparently, with stainless steel back. All threads I've read say, get the crystal back. Should I change the order? While it said 10% off, I put in the 20% off code, worth trying I thought, and it went through. Have tried other watches, but not working now. Love the clarity of these watches; would like an Ahoi, but out of my price range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sold my ahoi last year and regret it. Would buy it back I think!

A super read and nice comparison and pictures of two very appealing watches. I still remember my Club Dunkel fondly, and I’m sure I’ll have another Nomos at some point.

Threads like this are such a tonic. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Master
    Nice write up and 2 very nice watches. Thanks. I tend to go with the Alan Partridge method of pluralism.

Interesting pictures, and a great post - thank you. I had that exact model Ahoi a while back, and it was a super summer watch - a geat watch for a holiday, especially on the OEM 2-piece nylon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely post and great pictures. This is exactly what this forum should be about.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Was there a Nomos club on sc recently ?
    Yes mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    A super read and nice comparison and pictures of two very appealing watches. I still remember my Club Dunkel fondly, and I’m sure I’ll have another Nomos at some point.

Threads like this are such a tonic. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
    Club Dunkel is the one I keep an eye out for at the right price. Seems a great buy but hard to find.