closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex - are they a watch business or luxury business?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think that misses the point to an extreme level of naivety - both are selling so much more than a product (yes that’s the point of marketing, but to call it flannel and bs is just childish), and if you think otherwise then that’s cool - but then you are also self proclaimed as no longer the target market, but you were once, and even spent your own money on Rolex.
    Having spent nearly 20 years in the world of advertising I think I’m more jaded than naive perhaps! I’m not sure what relevance being in the ‘target market’ has at all, or having spent my own money on a particular product in the past. I don’t miss the point at all, companies wouldn’t spent millions of pounds if Marketing didn’t work - but once you’ve peeked behind the curtain it’s hard to take proclamations such as those quoted by the OP particularly seriously imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s fair enough.

But I do think whether you are still within the current target market, or currently interested in purchasing their products, or not, is highly relevant.
    It's just a matter of time...

The median average salary in the UK last year was £31,461
    Take home pay will vary after tax etc

A Datejust is £6,800.00 (list price from an AD) so maybe roughly 20% to 25% of annual salary.

To the average man in the street a Rolex is a very expensive item

My first Rolex was around 20% of my salary at the time of purchase. It didn’t stop me allocating funds and doing without other things like smoking, alcohol, CD’s and DVD’s at the time.

Is that price for a white gold bezel model?

Surely that’s about the same price as a Sub or GMT though.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 25th January 2021 at 00:39.

My first Rolex was around 20% of my salary at the time of purchase. It didn’t stop me allocating funds and doing without other things like smoking, alcohol, CD’s and DVD’s at the time.

Is that price for a white gold bezel model?

Surely that’s about the same price as a Sub or GMT though.
    You are right I clicked on the wrong image.

A 41mm steel DJ is £6,150.00

A ND Sub is £6,450.00

A GMT is £7.750.00
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th January 2021 at 00:57.

I think a Pepsi is only £7150, and I’m sure a lot of people with a very high percentage cost to their salary are on a waiting list for one ;)

I think a Pepsi is only £7150, and I’m sure a lot of people with a very high percentage cost to their salary are on a waiting list for one ;)
    That is this one isn't it? I have never owned a GMT so am no expert

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...01/p/17303780/

Yes, that one. Looks like the price has gone up slightly since I last looked ;)

Grand Master
    Rolex has always had clever marketing, didn’t they have fish tanks with watches submerged in dealers windows? I believe during the war soldiers could order a watch to be sent out to them and paid upon returning home too which gave a lot of kudos to a certain generation
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Rolex has always had clever marketing, didn’t they have fish tanks with watches submerged in dealers windows?
    In true Rolex style, they did display watches like that, many years after Pettit and Trappett had done the same that thing at the Great Exhibition of 1851 (and no doubt many others in the intervening years).

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php