closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tissot PRX reissue

Master

Tissot PRX reissue

Saw this yesterday, I believe it is a new release. Looks interesting to me as a cheapish ETA quartz. 40mm but maybe won't wear that big???

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/...SABEgJ4iPD_BwE

Craftsman
    Like that, simple uncluttered face, I have an old PR516 and this would compliment it. Cheers, John B4

Love this, would give up my Sinn 556i for this if it were automatic.

Master
    I wonder if they will do one, like in the "Gentleman" range.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Love this, would give up my Sinn 556i for this if it were automatic.

I was supposed to be not buying but I really like that. Love the blue but equally like the black and silver. And less than £300. Damn

Like the look but I would most probably like to put it on a decent leather strap but the bracelet looks like its integrated so wouldn't allow that.

Master
    That's what is putting me off right at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Like the look but I would most probably like to put it on a decent leather strap but the bracelet looks like its integrated so wouldn't allow that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice looking thing. Quartz tho argh!

Master
    Well it's so early-80s-retro that a mechanical movement would seem incongruous, IMO. I really like it. Very, very similar cosmetically to a Seiko that I bought in the '80s (except that that one was probably a couple of mm smaller).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I believe they had automatic movements in the 80s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I believe they had automatic movements in the 80s.
    If you mean that they existed, there's no doubt about that. But to me, the Tissot is strongly reminiscent of watches from the '80s that generally had quartz movements, like this one:

Journeyman
    Love the integrated bracelet! Tissot seem to be carving out a really interesting niche with the gentlrman and now this

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    If you mean that they existed, there's no doubt about that. But to me, the Tissot is strongly reminiscent of watches from the '80s that generally had quartz movements, like this one:

It reminds me of this one.

Master
    Thanks! I see what you mean.

Love it, great job on this one at at less than £300 it should do really well.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

I agree, this particular model looks more like one of 80's quartz(Seastar) models than anything. Quartz fits well here, thankfully I'm over my dislike for anything quartz phase so could be interested in picking one up at some point.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 20th January 2021 at 15:43.

I have a vintage quartz Helvetia with a very similar case and integrated bracelet. I have a soft spot for Tissot since buying one as my first good watch in the early ‘90s. That one has a very nice quality ETA quartz movement and I don’t see this new model as somehow lacking because it is quartz. The case style is an absolute classic and I would say the integrated bracelet is exactly that, an integrated part of the design.

My Helvetia FWIW:

Craftsman
    Love the look of this one, I'm going to wait and see if they release a automatic version though.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

That’s a good looking watch, at a great price at full RRP. I can see a rush for it if it ever hits the sales.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Thanks for pointing this release out. Not much to dislike at that price point. Definitely one to keep an eye on when there's more than just stock photos available.

Saw a couple of live pics on the Dutch forum and it looked ok-ish. Also, be aware that it wears very large.

I really like that. Different league ofcourse but somewhat reminds me of the Zenith Defy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Mmm, best wait to see one in the flesh when the shops reopen then.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    ... Also, be aware that it wears very large.

Just ordered one! Nearly went for blue but settled on black. Should be delivered Tuesday. Will post some wrist shots when it comes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Just ordered one! Nearly went for blue but settled on black. Should be delivered Tuesday. Will post some wrist shots when it comes.

Can't wait to see this one!

I think it looks great, but is that a push fit back? I’ve got no issue with quartz watches, but I do all battery changes myself (I have the tools and trust my own skills more than a high street jewellers)! - but snap on or push fit backs are a nightmare

Informative review here...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKP6Mo0Zx-8

Quartz Tissot time, eh? Better air my 1979 PR516 again...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think it looks great, but is that a push fit back? I’ve got no issue with quartz watches, but I do all battery changes myself (I have the tools and trust my own skills more than a high street jewellers)! - but snap on or push fit backs are a nightmare

I’m with you on that, but I found it much easier once I got a decent press. Like this one but I think I paid about £35 for mine. Useful for some crystals as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083QZHTYS/

You might have already tried one, just a suggestion.

Master
    That’s very appealing. Reminds me of various old Omegas, and other vintage watches that usually look a bit battered on eBay! Looking forward to trying it when that’s possible again, it would make a great beater and the price is almost too good to be true.

Looking forward to seeing some of your wrist pics on arrival. Be interesting to hear your opinion on finish and comfort.
    It's just a matter of time...

I would have had my silver dial version yesterday if Chisholm Hunter hadn’t sent me some oversized PoS quartz chronograph by mistake.

I won’t be giving them the chance to make the same mistake twice

Looking forward to seeing it on the wrist and hearing views on it.

Master
    Something the same size in a similar vein that has just popped up on my YouTube feed is the Wempe Iron Walker quartz chronometer. Bound to be significantly more expensive and not sure I would want a watch with Iron Walker on the dial - wonder where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Something the same size in a similar vein that has just popped up on my YouTube feed is the Wempe Iron Walker quartz chronometer. Bound to be significantly more expensive and not sure I would want a watch with Iron Walker on the dial - wonder where that came from.
    That's very VC Overseas. More info here https://monochrome-watches.com/wempe...let-new-price/

The chrono is too thick IMO, this look needs to be fairly thin to work I think.

My Tissot didn't turn up today, should be tomorrow apparently.
    Last edited by RS404; 26th January 2021 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    They do indeed look nice but I'm the same about the name.

When my nan was in a care home zimmer frames were referred to as Walker's. I've got visions of an old age Arnie with an industrial strength Zimmer frame.

Master
    That's very VC Overseas. More info here https://monochrome-watches.com/wempe...let-new-price/

The chrono is too thick IMO, this look needs to be fairly thin to work I think.

My Tissot didn't turn up today, should be tomorrow apparently.
    I’d say the unfortunately named Iron Walker is more like an oversized Oysterquartz, mixed with a touch of IWC Ingenieur (or diver), but sadly without feeling as special as either. Not bad and borrowing from the right sources, but in person it’s no better than its price would suggest.

The Tissot looks more promising in a way, considering the value for money.

Master
    This picture from Esquire isn’t helping my bank balance. I’m a sucker for vertical brushing on a dial, especially with those gold hands.

Lucky it’s so cheap. And that it’s probably slightly too large for me. And that the shops are shut so I can’t find out. Strange that watch shops are considered ‘non-essential’, really...

Ps - supposedly it’s based on a late 70s Tissot, but they’re not fooling anyone. That’s an oversized Oysterquartz 17000 with slightly smaller bracelet links, no cyclops and a slight overhang on the case. But otherwise it’s pretty much identical.

Journeyman
    This is lovely

I'm really tempted as I think it will scratch the luxury steel sports watch itch until I can afford a Royal Oak (!)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    This picture from Esquire isn’t helping my bank balance. I’m a sucker for vertical brushing on a dial, especially with those gold hands.

Lucky it’s so cheap. And that it’s probably slightly too large for me. And that the shops are shut so I can’t find out. Strange that watch shops are considered ‘non-essential’, really...

Ps - supposedly it’s based on a late 70s Tissot, but they’re not fooling anyone. That’s an oversized Oysterquartz 17000 with slightly smaller bracelet links, no cyclops and a slight overhang on the case. But otherwise it’s pretty much identical.

Master
    I understand that an automatic version is in the works.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Where have you heard this? I'm interested in the auto.

Mine turned up today but is already on its way back up to Glasgow I'm afraid, not for me.

It does wear really big. My wrist is just under 7 inches and this felt like a big flat plate on my wrist. It's nice and thin but the first bracelet link doesn't move so it feels like it's really long lug to lug. I've had several 42mm watches, PO, Pelagos, etc but this somehow wore even bigger than those. Even my B&R BR03 wore smaller.

The brushed finish looks excellent, that was my favourite thing about it. The quality of the bracelet and clasp was fine for the price but I wouldn't go further than that. There was a fair amount of play in it even brand new.

The real deal breaker was the sizing of the bracelet. I removed 4 links but it was still falling down, well onto my hand. I removed one more link and I could only just get it done up, way too tight. It has a butterfly clasp which is fiddly and has no fine adjustment. The bracelet was quick release which was handy to pop it off while resizing, maybe there are some strap options coming.

In summary, it's good value, nicely finished but definitely see it and try it on in the flesh, and if you're wrist is under 7 inches I wouldn't recommend it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    any more details? This might jump straight to the top of the want list

Master
    It does wear really big. My wrist is just under 7 inches and this felt like a big flat plate on my wrist. It's nice and thin but the first bracelet link doesn't move so it feels like it's really long lug to lug. I've had several 42mm watches, PO, Pelagos, etc but this somehow wore even bigger than those. Even my B&R BR03 wore smaller.
    Thanks for the review and photos. This was my big fear, you can see the fixed first link is a deal breaker for those with slimmer wrists. This is the year that all watches are 40mm, even dress watches and those with integrated bracelets. It used to be 42mm, so that’s progress of a sort. One day someone will release something nice in 38mm, it would have suited this watch well.

Craftsman
    Mine turned up today but is already on its way back up to Glasgow I'm afraid, not for me.

The brushed finish looks excellent, that was my favourite thing about it. The quality of the bracelet and clasp was fine for the price but I wouldn't go further than that. There was a fair amount of play in it even brand new.

The real deal breaker was the sizing of the bracelet. I removed 4 links but it was still falling down, well onto my hand. I removed one more link and I could only just get it done up, way too tight. It has a butterfly clasp which is fiddly and has no fine adjustment. The bracelet was quick release which was handy to pop it off while resizing, maybe there are some strap options coming.

In summary, it's good value, nicely finished but definitely see it and try it on in the flesh, and if you're wrist is under 7 inches I wouldn't recommend it.

Ah this is a massive disappointment! The links really do extend the lug to lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    Love the integrated bracelet! Tissot seem to be carving out a really interesting niche with the gentleman and now this
    It's funny - they are not popular with watch fans because we want to change straps but I've got a FC Highlife on the way in and when I was googling it, FC say that made it with an integrated bracelet because in the £3000 and above they are very popular.

Thank you. I've saved myself £300.

I thought it looked too good to be true

Still, Eddie's Artificer will be available soon enough

Thanks for the photos/review @RS404. So disappointing re the size/dimensions and that it's such a slab of a watch.

Was really hoping it could be a modern version of this old certina I picked up at 35mm but it's just way too big.

At least there's always the thrill of vintage until modern tastes change back to smaller watches.

Just popped home for a spot of lunch and the postie has been... I just couldn’t not buy it. Love the look, love the size, would have preferred an auto but with 15% off and costing just £250 it’s a belter!

Q&D wrist shot

Master
    Great a happy customer at last, I really will have to wait until I can see one in the flesh but I'm sure will be too big after trying on an OQ again the other day and after my 38mm Constellation.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Just popped home for a spot of lunch and the postie has been... I just couldn’t not buy it. Love the look, love the size, would have preferred an auto but with 15% off and costing just £250 it’s a belter!

Q&D wrist shot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

Q&D wrist shot
    What size is your wrist?