closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there one rubber strap to rule them all?

I've used rubber straps for years and in my experience the best of the lot (and I include Isofrane) is the Christopher Ward Hybrid rubber. It's thick yet supple and incredibly comfortable out the packet. At £60 it's not the cheapest but also not the most expensive considering its quality. The buckle is beautifully made (unlike the Iso that's sharp) and finished too.

It's this one:

https://www.christopherward.com/stra...SXK-DC-ST.html

Any advice on rubber for five digit Rolex? Would prefer something on the longer side.

Don’t want to go the Everest/Rubber B route as it’s very expensive and Barton is a bit underwhelming.

Must be something solid for under £100?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Any advice on rubber for five digit Rolex? Would prefer something on the longer side.

Don’t want to go the Everest/Rubber B route as it’s very expensive and Barton is a bit underwhelming.

Crafter Blue? https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...f_246922=Rolex
    I don’t have one myself but there’s plenty of Seiko fans that do.

Master
    Have a look at Tempomat straps, plenty of colours available within your budget, and are available in the UK if you don't fancy ordering from the EU.
    https://tempomaterials.com/

Master
    Can't recommend these enough. Slightly curved downwards at the lug ends, ribbed on the underside for breathability, cunning holder for the first loop and very nice, brushed hardware. I've had many and the quality is absolutely excellent, unlikely as it may seem at 10 quid a pop.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/40004...41269439.pic_5

Last edited by ColDaspin; 20th June 2022 at 21:55.

Craftsman

Is there one rubber strap to rule them all?

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Crafter Blue? https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...f_246922=Rolex
    I don’t have one myself but there’s plenty of Seiko fans that do.
    +1 for the Crafter Blue.

I put one on my Tudor Black Bay Red.

Very tight and quite awkward to fit, but looks very good, and a comfy strap.
    Last edited by Mainspring; 20th June 2022 at 19:59.

Although hybrid rubber not pure rubber, I think Hirsch's composite range are unbeatable - top quality, very strong, ventilated effectively, fully waterproof (even the part-leather designs) and fair value for money.

For the Sub I reckon either "Tiger" or "Paul" in all-black would suit well:

Plenty of other options to choose from here.

Slight rant... I'd like a Crafter Blue if they didn't only make it in 'frigging huge' size.

Honestly more strap makers need to start offering a semblance of strap size choice, brands like Barton and Nomos are doing it well. It may be cheaper to save a few pennies manufacturing every strap the exact same 140/80mm and claiming it fits every wrist size under the sun, but I can't be the only customer who gets driven away even with my completely average wrist size.

Everest, Rubber B, Crafter Blue are all guilty of this. Premium straps but only one size available, which therefore by default has to be really big to (supposedly) fit everyone. It's the reason none of these manufacturers get my money.

Great suggestions so far, thanks guys.

Was going to get a Crafter Blue but they’re sold out in black so have signed up to the alert. I tried one for the deployant MM300 before and it was slightly short but maybe buckle and tang will be better.

Tempomat looks interesting but for £80 shipped I’ll have a look for real world pictures first.

M1011 Everest now comes in two sizes btw, short and regular but I still think for the money they charge it should come in 3-4 sizes.

M1011 Everest now comes in two sizes btw, short and regular but I still think for the money they charge it should come in 3-4 sizes.
    Good tip thanks, just been having a look. It's great they've added some optionality. I had been looking at them just recently for a Tudor and it seems they still only do the one size for Tudor models, but Rolex models now have the two size options which makes it tempting for my Explorer. A lot of money for a rubber strap though, I'll ponder on it!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    I'd tend to agree Bonetto Cinturini take sone beating for the cost.
    I'd agree, but they seem very hard to find.

As an alternative for a small amount of money, I've been impressed with these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274079501...r=574165835809

Nice and supple and decent quality - I've had a 22mm for a couple of years and recently picked up a 24mm for my Helson Sharkmaster.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd June 2022 at 12:13.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've had a variety of rubber straps of different brands on various watches, most of which were OK but no more.

I've recently discovered Scurfa watches, and their rubber straps are, to me, in a different league to anything else out there.

https://www.scurfawatches.com/categories/straps/

Apprentice
    Have to say love my Omega seamaster 300 with rubber strap. Makes it actually look more classy than the metal bracelet!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Forgot about Scurfa, thanks. Have one coming in a few days now. Should be a good step up from the Barton. I’ve also gone for a vulcanised RubberB clone from Cousins.

I’ve had an Everest before but only tried it on 6 digit stuff, didn’t have a 5 digit at the time. Tempted to go for it again but £180 is vicious and I think I sold the last one here for about £80.

Blog Entries
    I use generic waffle straps on my Seiko’s but they must be FKM rubber not silicone O/W known as DNA collectors
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I’ve only ever bought fairly cheap rubber straps from Amazon for my watches, but I did once get a crafter blue thrown in with an SKX I purchased - that was really nice. My mate though bought a Zealande fitted rubber for his Seamaster and I have to say the quality was absolutely on another level, super nice. He’s never put it back on the bracelet since getting that.

Blog Entries
    Zealander. Took a bit of effort on the omega to get a fit. But got there in the end. White or Black?

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I did look at Zealande, Martyn, but it looks like the strap goes straight down after the lug, similar to RubberB and the opposite of Everest.

I had a look at a thread here https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ealande-straps

After the lug it looks like it goes in (fine if you have a slim wrist) and then back out again.

Blog Entries
    I did look at Zealande, Martyn, but it looks like the strap goes straight down after the lug, similar to RubberB and the opposite of Everest.

I had a look at a thread here https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ealande-straps

After the lug it looks like it goes in (fine if you have a slim wrist) and then back out again.
    Somewhat reinforced I take your point though, I have approx 7 inch flat wrists and they fit fine - depends on the watch profile too I guess. From memory it is similar from the OEM Omega rubber

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Somewhat reinforced I take your point though, I have approx 7 inch flat wrists and they fit fine - depends on the watch profile too I guess. From memory it is similar from the OEM Omega rubber
    I’ve had the exact same issue with the OEM Omega rubber. I’ve tried in the white dial SM on rubber a few times and the ceramic which is a better fit but the way the rubber exits the lugs (or the way my fat covers my wrist) makes it a no go.

Scurfa and Cousins en route and I’ll pick up the Crafter Blue once it’s back in stock.

Ultimately I’ll probably end up getting the Everest anyway and then defaulting back to the bracelet after a few weeks anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Slight rant... I'd like a Crafter Blue if they didn't only make it in 'frigging huge' size.

Honestly more strap makers need to start offering a semblance of strap size choice, brands like Barton and Nomos are doing it well. It may be cheaper to save a few pennies manufacturing every strap the exact same 140/80mm and claiming it fits every wrist size under the sun, but I can't be the only customer who gets driven away even with my completely average wrist size.

Everest, Rubber B, Crafter Blue are all guilty of this. Premium straps but only one size available, which therefore by default has to be really big to (supposedly) fit everyone. It's the reason none of these manufacturers get my money.
    I don’t see the problem as they are rubber.

I just cut the end off my rubber B.

Although a shorter version would be welcome.
    Last edited by Montello; 23rd June 2022 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don’t see the problem as they are rubber.

I just cut the end off my rubber B.

Although a shorter version would be welcome.
    Just don't think I should need to be hacking off the end of a £200 strap. For £20 sure, fair enough, been there and done it. But for £200? Nope, not for me.

I understand the pain of hacking an expensive rubber strap, there is no real need for it, that said how the hell is any rubber strap worth anything north of £50?
    I am guilty of buying expensive rubber straps but if you sit back and think about it… it’s daft.
    Sinn’s rubber on large clasp is the best there is, it’s perfect (if you can get a good fit) failing that Zulu diver / BC used by numerous watch brads as OEM.

I was shocked how short oem straps are in some circumstances. I tried on a Tudor black bay bronze recently and the strap ends wouldn’t meet around my wrist let alone do up! All their fabric and leather options were very short indeed. Very odd as the bronze is a large watch. Long straps may be annoying but short ones are unwearable for those of us with large wrists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Just don't think I should need to be hacking off the end of a £200 strap. For £20 sure, fair enough, been there and done it. But for £200? Nope, not for me.
    You don’t have to “hack” it off you can do it carefully with a curve.

But as you say it would be better to have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You don’t have to “hack†it off you can do it carefully with a curve.

But as you say it would be better to have a choice.
    Probably better off buying the new shorter Everest although you’ve already done the DIY on the Rubber B.

I’m with Sinnlover, anything over £50 or so is straight into diminishing returns territory. I couldn’t bring myself to cut the end of a £30 strap let alone £200. That would make me ill.

Scurfa and Cousins both here. The Scurfa is good and what I’ll wear for a week or so.

The Cousins copy of the Rubber B is absolute balls and impossible to fit-can get the same side in on both straps but not the other side even though I can see them through the hole.

Now trying to get my spring bars back out which isn’t looking likely. Infuriating.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 24th June 2022 at 12:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably better off buying the new shorter Everest although you’ve already done the DIY on the Rubber B.

I’m with Sinnlover, anything over £50 or so is straight into diminishing returns territory. I couldn’t bring myself to cut the end of a £30 strap let alone £200. That would make me ill.
    Everest didn’t do them when I bought it otherwise I probably would have.

Either way they are expensive for what they are but I wanted the curved ends to fit snug to the case.

The strap is fine with the end cut off, that said I still prefer the bracelet. But I do use the rubber if I’m away doing an activity as it makes the watch lighter and more planted.

Master
    I’d like to change the standard resin strap on my cycling watch (Casio Duro) and fancy an Isofrane but not keen on the price.
    Has anybody any experience of the Borealis version?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I’d like to change the standard resin strap on my cycling watch (Casio Duro) and fancy an Isofrane but not keen on the price.
    Has anybody any experience of the Borealis version?
    I have, and can recommend them. Not a lot of difference between the 2 (I’ve got both)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I have, and can recommend them. Not a lot of difference between the 2 (I’ve got both)
    Thanks

Just took a punt on an FKM Rubber tropic strap from Amazon. Due today. £14 but looks very much like a zuludiver (who seem also to be, or at least rebrand some of Bonetto Cinturini!)

I had a Zealande on my Rolex SD43 and the quality was really really good - faultless…
    but I am sure it was not the best part of £200-worth of materials!!!

Agree with the comment earlier that once you get upwards of £40/50, then the only difference is branding and marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Just took a punt on an FKM Rubber tropic strap from Amazon. Due today. £14 but looks very much like a zuludiver (who seem also to be, or at least rebrand some of Bonetto Cinturini!)

I had a Zealande on my Rolex SD43 and the quality was really really good - faultless…
    but I am sure it was not the best part of £200-worth of materials!!!

Agree with the comment earlier that once you get upwards of £40/50, then the only difference is branding and marketing.

True. A lot of straps sold by some of the popular companies are same as those on AliExpress.
    However Rubber B gets marks for innovation
    They recently came out with straps for Omega SM 300 and Rolex SkyD. Very expensive but there is nothing else around like those.

The Nacht-Master 41. Forgot the new Sub is 21mm so couldn’t fit the Scurfa so tried this instead. Worth £240 per side? Not a chance.

The Nacht-Master 41. Forgot the new Sub is 21mm so couldn’t fit the Scurfa so tried this instead. Worth £240 per side? Not a chance.
    Do you trust those hair thin spring bars on a rubber strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Do you trust those hair thin spring bars on a rubber strap?
    No, took it off after five minutes and changed it back. Would look better on an isofrane or the Scurfa imo but they’re not available in 21mm.

No, took it off after five minutes and changed it back. Would look better on an isofrane or the Scurfa imo but they’re not available in 21mm.
    Spring bars on 41 Submariner are like 1mm thick. Not strong enough for rubber strap imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Spring bars on 41 Submariner are like 1mm thick. Not strong enough for rubber strap imo.
    Completely right. I wouldn’t be comfortable using those spring bars with that strap. It would end in tears.

The GS diver of mine is 21mm, so very limited options - but have bought a couple of 22mm to see if I can squeeze them in…

So, £14.50 spent well!

Amazon special, but FKM rubber. Quality seems spot on. Fits perfectly (22mm strap on 21mm lugs - but seems to come up slimmer than 22mm) and sits close to the case but enough not to touch.
    Tight squeeze to get the springbars through, but they’re in OK.
    Can’t fault it!

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 26th June 2022 at 17:16.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ I'm not usually fond of rubber straps but that does look very good. The little pyramids are just the right texture.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    So, £14.50 spent well! ...
    Good-looking combo that