closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What causes razor blades to dull

Master

What causes razor blades to dull

My dad taught me to always wash the blade out in hot water after shaving and then shake it vigorously to dry it as this kept it sharper for much longer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That's really interesting, thank you. I'd always thought of corrosion being an issue and have therefore cleaned and dried cartridge razors anyway, but never considered the build-up of e.g. calcium carbonate on the edge causing issues.

Master
    I use a product called a razor pit, I was a bit sceptical at first but definitely prolongs a blades life. Saved me a fortune over the years.

https://www.razorpit.com

Use an old pair of jeans as a strop and run it opposite to the cutting direction about 20x once a week. It'll prolong the use of the razor for quite a bit.

i have noticed if you clean and dry them after use they stay sharp slightly better

Master
    Interesting, microchipping of razorblades... I blame Bill Gates and 5G

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I use a product called a razor pit, I was a bit sceptical at first but definitely prolongs a blades life. Saved me a fortune over the years.

I use one and it's very effective. My blades seem to last about 10 days.
    I also use a ultrasonic cleaner every blade change.👍🏻

Master
    To think the barbers and butchers in the 20’s had worked this out with their leather strops!

Interesting read, thanks for posting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I use one and it's very effective. My blades seem to last about 10 days.
    I also use a ultrasonic cleaner every blade change.
    Something so simple but actually works, weirdly you don’t see it advertised many places.

Master
    Only this morning, pondering why I'm only having 3 shaves from my Mach3.
    Thanks for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Thanks for the article.
    You could try DE Shaving, in which blades cost pennies and you fling them away after three shaves. £1.80 for a Mach3 blade (just checked on Amazon) compared to 18p for a Gillette Platinum blade. Better for your skin too.

Or dry your de blades as described above and possibly use them for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Thanks for the article.
    That's pretty severe usage! I think mine last around 10 shaves.

If it wasn't for the 'glide strips' on these multi-blades - I would bung the blade in the ultrasonic tank every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    No thank you. I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I've heard of something called 'the excalibur club' on wet shaving forums where people go for maximum usage from a single DE blade, believe they get hundreds of shaves out of them.

I just use each blade twice. My time is worth more than the cost of a new blade, though I used to get months out of a cartridge blade when I lived in an area with soft water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I use a product called a razor pit, I was a bit sceptical at first but definitely prolongs a blades life.

Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I’ve been DE shaving for years now , I think it was this very forum that convinced me to try it I’ll never go back to cartridge razors again. I do have an electric Braun that gets occasional use on those mad rush days, however I get far less ingrown hairs with a DE than I did with a mach3. Now I’m shaving my head as well since lockdown 1 I do use an omnishaver for that which is cartridge but DE on my head is too much of a challenge lol

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    You could try DE Shaving, in which blades cost pennies and you fling them away after three shaves. £1.80 for a Mach3 blade (just checked on Amazon) compared to 18p for a Gillette Platinum blade. Better for your skin too.
    Or grow a beard...
    Shaving will then cost you nothing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Use an old pair of jeans as a strop and run it opposite to the cutting direction about 20x once a week. It'll prolong the use of the razor for quite a bit.
    +1 for the jeans trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is this shaving that you speak of?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I DE shave but buying blades is getting harder, do you recommend an online shop, I got some online but were definetly fake Gilettes.

Journeyman
    I use these and they are cheap as chips and give good results.
    20 packs of 5 maybe last me 12 months.
    I am interested to know of anybody can recommend another brand for me to try as I will need to buy some more soon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    I am interested to know of anybody can recommend another brand for me to try as I will need to buy some more soon.

My favourites have been the feathers and the runner up was another blade I can’t remember now will check later. I bought one of those combo packs with quite a few different blades in and found the feathers suited me best but there are loads of good ones well worth buying a combo pack and experimenting

Gillette 7oclock and another by Wilkinson sword which I’ll no doubt remember after pressing send again lol

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    My favourites have been the feathers and the runner up was another blade I can’t remember now will check later. I bought one of those combo packs with quite a few different blades in and found the feathers suited me best but there are loads of good ones well worth buying a combo pack and experimenting

Gillette 7oclock and another by Wilkinson sword which I’ll no doubt remember after pressing send again lol
    Thanks Bootneck .
    I might give Feathers a go, but they have a reputation for being a bit unforgiving and you risk a bloodbath just by looking at them!
    I wasn't aware that you could get a selection box.

Journeyman
    I have a strong beard and get 10 + shaves on a Mach 3 blade. But then I only ever shave immediately after coming out of the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post

Stick with the Astras, I’ve been DE shaving for about 10 years and these are the best combination between sharp and forgiving that I’ve found.

I use Feathers too, for occasions when I want a really close shave, however, I wouldn’t use them daily as they are a bit too “volatile”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used Feathers for the last 4 years and they are fine. I used Israelis before that and also a few others. You quickly get used to the Feathers. Don’t forget the DE razor you are using also has an impact on the shave.

I buy the blades online, 100 at a time and change the blade weekly. Works out at about £32 every 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I DE shave but buying blades is getting harder, do you recommend an online shop, I got some online but were definetly fake Gilettes.
    There are several places I buy mine from. Connaught Shaving is excellent and on eBay Razorblade club, who I believe is based in Sweden. Amazon also stock them but they are expensive.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Try The English Shaving Company
    https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/

I really rate Wilkinson Sword - made in Germany

My favourites are polsilver (basically unobtainable now), Gillette silver blue and voskhod. Gillette nacet are also good but I got fakes sent once and have been put off trying them again.

Feathers are just hype in my opinion... Increased risk factor, reduced smoothness while shaving, more expensive, no better a shave than anything else. You've got to try them at some point but you will no doubt think what is all the hype about. Underwhelming.

I remember when the twin bladed razor was a new thing. Gillette's old Contour (or was it Sensor?) gave a perfect shave as far as I was concerned so I never upgraded when the 3, 4, and 5 bladed razors launched. Like Trigger's broom, I have replaced the handle a couple of times, but think I'm saving a fortune buying in bulk from India.

However, I'm intrigued by this DE shaving that is mentioned - off to investigate now. Cheers!
    Last edited by Halitosis; 20th January 2021 at 21:02.

Journeyman
    I usually order all my shaving kit from The Traditional Shaving Company.
    It looks like they do selection boxes....

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...mple-Pack.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Feathers are just hype in my opinion... Increased risk factor, reduced smoothness while shaving, more expensive, no better a shave than anything else. You've got to try them at some point but you will no doubt think what is all the hype about. Underwhelming.
    I mainly shaved with Gilette and Derby blades since I started with DE, many year ago.I bought my first lot of feathers last December. It took me a few weeks to get used to them but I'm a convert. I'm now getting the best shave I think I've ever had. The only down sides are the initial cuts, the higher cost (still much cheaper than cartridges) and the decreased longevity.

Blog Entries
    In my youth after reading “supernature”, I believe storing your blades in a pyramid (scaled down size of course) preserves them. Seems like some don’t agree...

https://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11060

Master
    THanks to all for the advice.

Master
    This is a link to the Schick USA website:

https://www.schick.com/products/quattro-titanium-razor

I shave head and face three times a week, and can get 4 months out of a head.
    Prior to that, even some three blades Schick heads, would be munted after 3 shaves.

Anyone with spare time on their hands, this is a very interesting website:
    https://scienceofsharp.com/home/

Rob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    This is a link to the Schick USA website:

https://www.schick.com/products/quattro-titanium-razor

I shave head and face three times a week, and can get 4 months out of a head.
    Prior to that, even some three blades Schick heads, would be munted after 3 shaves.

Anyone with spare time on their hands, this is a very interesting website:
    https://scienceofsharp.com/home/

Rob.
    If you’re shaving your head try the omnishaver.
    it’s been a revelation for me in the shower 2-3 minutes without even using a mirror the blades are lasting me around 2 months 3-4 times a week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OmniShaver-...f-d38f484ff2d1

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Or grow a beard...
    Shaving will then cost you nothing.
    I have a beard. But what do you use to shave your balls? 🙃

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    If you’re shaving your head try the omnishaver.
    it’s been a revelation for me in the shower 2-3 minutes without even using a mirror the blades are lasting me around 2 months 3-4 times a week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OmniShaver-...f-d38f484ff2d1
    That's classic, and reminds me of the "hair thinner" my mother used on us in Scotland when we were kids.
    It was a handle, with a DE blade parallel to the handle, sitting in the middle of a double-sided comb.
    FMD, I tried it once myself, and ended up with a huge bald spot in the middle of the top of my head.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Uni.../dp/B005HFAY22

Rob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    That's classic, and reminds me of the "hair thinner" my mother used on us in Scotland when we were kids.
    It was a handle, with a DE blade parallel to the handle, sitting in the middle of a double-sided comb.
    FMD, I tried it once myself, and ended up with a huge bald spot in the middle of the top of my head.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Uni.../dp/B005HFAY22

Rob.
    Lmao , yeah the aim of the omnishaver is to be smooth as a babies arse when you’ve finished not a trim lol