closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying 2ndhand from the EU

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    But it’s already been collected once at point of sale, how is that right, I’m struggling to work it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think my now edited post gives a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think my now edited post gives a reason.
    Thanks for the clarification, that makes it much clearer, depressing but clearer!

I sold a watch on e-bay to a buyer in the US the other week. I noticed on the PayPal payment that e-bay had charged him an import tax. I took the Watch to the post office and sent it. When it goes through US customs he could be charged again. Presumably he will have to prove he paid e-bay in order to claim any charges back.

It did strike me that there can be no correlation between what e-bay charge as import taxes and what happens on arrival in the country if the delivery is handled by anyone other than e-bay.

Logically, this situation could happen to people in the UK buying from the EU. I have seen listings with taxes added.

Master
    Ok and many thanks for taking the time to reply. But hypothetically speaking though, you could buy a watch in Dover, pay the VAT, ride the ferry to France, post it back to the U.K. and have to pay VAT again as an import ? A simplistic view I know but an accurate summary?

I don’t really know because it hasn’t really been sold again.
    And are you sending it to yourself?
    How are you declaring it?

They would probably treat it as an import and you would need to explain them why would you send it if you don’t want to pay the VAT again.

Blog Entries
    Ok and many thanks for taking the time to reply. But hypothetically speaking though, you could buy a watch in Dover, pay the VAT, ride the ferry to France, post it back to the U.K. and have to pay VAT again as an import ? A simplistic view I know but an accurate summary?

taking that to extreme.

Buy watch with VAT paid in UK
    Take watch (import watch) to France - pay EU VAT on import as UK is a 3rd country
    Post watch back to a UK - pay UK VAT on import

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I don’t really know because it hasn’t really been sold again.
    And are you sending it to yourself?
    How are you declaring it?

They would probably treat it as an import and you would need to explain them why would you send it if you don’t want to pay the VAT again.
    Of course, ownership hasn’t changed in that instance, I’ve got it now. What an absolute pain. I bet there will be lots of higher value watches taking trips on wrists, for day trips to the continent in the future to conclude deals.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    taking that to extreme.

Take watch (import watch) to France - pay EU VAT on import as UK is a 3rd country

Thoughts?
    A tax on holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    taking that to extreme.

Thoughts?
    It doesn’t bear thinking about. I did read a story a couple of years ago of a French enthusiast taking samples of his collection to a watch expo in Switzerland. He got clobbered by French type vat bringing his own watches back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A tax on holidays.
    does get very silly. I’ve taken 3 high value watches to the US before now (and back) without a thought.

I made an offer on a used AquaRacer on Chrono24, private seller in Italy. Price was 1300, but it didn’t occur to me immediately that I’d now be liable for tax - so another 260 on top of that. Might as well buy new (would’ve done if, as usual, the watch I wanted hadn’t been recently discontinued). But the seller said he couldn’t get insurance to post jewellery - which includes watches - to a non-EU country under current guidelines, so declined my offer.

Having to pay VAT on second hand goods completely takes the ability to grab a bargain on the used market away. Out of interest, how does this apply to Sales Corner if the seller is in Europe as I’ve seen a few times, same principle?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Having to pay VAT on second hand goods completely takes the ability to grab a bargain on the used market away. Out of interest, how does this apply to Sales Corner if the seller is in Europe as I’ve seen a few times, same principle?
    Yes. Same thing.

Brexit = this sort of thing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was considering some watches from C24 based in EU and further afield but the addition of VAT makes the purchase far less appealing.

Take this watch for example.

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/omega...ode=EB8RY7PTSC

In the top right hand corner of the page, a UK telephone number, priced in £ and as prices advertised have to include VAT so on the face of it, it looks like you would pay £8,580 including UK VAT.

Look at the small print at the bottom of the page.

Details of a UK entity set out in full. Still looking good, but:

1."When shipping from EU to a non EU country: Import tax & costs may apply." Okay, so where is this particular watch, the EU? Is the price including local VAT that can be deducted for export out of the EU and then be subject to UK import VAT, or is it in the UK and includes VAT?
    2. "If margin scheme is applicable, VAT is not shown separately." Okay, it's a secondhand watch, that's normal.
    3. "© Watchmaster ICP GmbH". I assume for the page content, but hang on could this mean more?

£8,580 or £8,580 + 20%?

My initial reaction is that any sale would be with a UK entity in Surrey and the price is £8,580 inc. UK VAT. However, I don't really know and perhaps location and what VAT is included in the advertised price should be clearer.

Not interested in the watch itself. Had three Speedies, never got on with them.

Master

Buying 2ndhand from the EU

I guess they have German and UK companies.

My thinking is that if you buy in UK, you are dealing with the UK company so prices shown are including VAT.

But smartest thing is to ask them.

Master
    This must have already reduced the international trade of used items in many product areas between UK and EU by a huge amount. The thing is, the government won't be bothered by reduced trade in goods they made nothing from and companies will be delighted about anything that encourages consumers to buy new.

There are, however, the knock-on effects of reduced trade, which are hard to quantify. If Hans in Holland doesn't sell his watch because James in Wales finds it too expensive with extra VAT, then Hans won't be spending that money he would have received. This hurts his economy. Most lose from this but I doubt anyone with authority to change it will be that adversely affected.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Take this watch for example.

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/omega...ode=EB8RY7PTSC

In the top right hand corner of the page, a UK telephone number, priced in £ and as prices advertised have to include VAT so on the face of it, it looks like you would pay £8,580 including UK VAT.

Look at the small print at the bottom of the page.

Details of a UK entity set out in full. Still looking good, but:

1."When shipping from EU to a non EU country: Import tax & costs may apply." Okay, so where is this particular watch, the EU? Is the price including local VAT that can be deducted for export out of the EU and then be subject to UK import VAT, or is it in the UK and includes VAT?
    2. "If margin scheme is applicable, VAT is not shown separately." Okay, it's a secondhand watch, that's normal.
    3. "© Watchmaster ICP GmbH". I assume for the page content, but hang on could this mean more?

£8,580 or £8,580 + 20%?

My initial reaction is that any sale would be with a UK entity in Surrey and the price is £8,580 inc. UK VAT. However, I don't really know and perhaps location and what VAT is included in the advertised price should be clearer.

Not interested in the watch itself. Had three Speedies, never got on with them.
    in that particular case - they ship from their UK offices so you don’t have to pay import Tax. If in doubt get in touch with them directly for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I guess they have German and UK companies.

But smartest thing is to ask them.
    I agree. Although if the watch still looks available on the UK site, without explicitly mentioning additional VAT applicable, I'd guess it's in the UK.

I had a watch for sale on consignment with Chronext (another nightmare altogether, irrelevant here), posted the watch to them Dec last year and it was on sale on both their UK and Germany sites. Since 1st Jan the watch was not longer available in the UK because of the reasons above. Basically anything that's available on the Chronext UK site shouldn't incur anything more.

But yes doesn't hurt to ask

I called.

They are not currently selling to customers in the UK and this will remain the case until various tax applications go though with HMRC which are taking ages.

If they did, then the price paid would be that advertised plus 20% UK import VAT and this will be the case in the future unless the second hand watch is sourced in the UK.