closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bremont trumps Rolex in the Himalayas

Occasionally I wonder what sacrifices I would have to make to get to K2. From memory, even the trek to get there is the best part of 100km. Then it's time to climb something that is statistically likely to kill. And that's without thinking about the prep time, the money and the commitment.

Phenomenal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Occasionally I wonder what sacrifices I would have to make to get to K2. From memory, even the trek to get there is the best part of 100km. Then it's time to climb something that is statistically likely to kill. And that's without thinking about the prep time, the money and the commitment.

Phenomenal.
    I think a 5-6 hour journey by jeep along sometimes often hairy mountain roads preceedes the trek!

^Yes. I'd forgotten about that but you're right. Essentially, getting to base camp is an undertaking in itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Agree, not a huge horoligcal achievement but a good marketing ploy.
    Even a lowly Smiths made it to the top of Everest ‘carried’ by someone
    A few decades later a solid brand like Bremont should be able to do it easily..
    Having said that Bremont makes excellent watches that Brits should be proud of
    Eddie plays in a different playing field, so the old timers shouldn’t feel they are being disrespectful to Eddie by lauding Bremont ( the elephant in the room).
    Marketing aside Brits should be proud of Bremont and should laud and support it.
    They shouldn’t hide behind the excuses of questionable marketing because they support quite a few less deserving causes.
    Hear hear, and I am thoroughly impressed with the accuracy and finish of my newly aquired S301

On the other hand, my wife is not impressed at all with the feel/finish (the crown in particular) of her new Datejust..... (prefers her IWC Ingenieur)
    Just my 2p worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Though Bremont lied about a watch movement being in-house (Wright Flyer) surely lying about a product is much worse
    I congratulate you. , A Bremont thread without a mention of the Wright Flyer movement, just wouldn't the same. It's over 6 years ago , move on yawn .

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    I congratulate you. , A Bremont thread without a mention of the Wright Flyer movement, just wouldn't the same. It's over 6 years ago , move on yawn .

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Oh thank you

Was in response to Rolex lying about Everest, this is Bremont lying about its product

Yawn

Before I buy a watch I need to know which was first to top Everest? Am I the only one who just doesn't care?

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I think a 5-6 hour journey by jeep along sometimes often hairy mountain roads preceedes the trek!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^Yes. I'd forgotten about that but you're right. Essentially, getting to base camp is an undertaking in itself.

I do so hope you are talking about watches...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Everest? Am I the only one who just doesn't care?
    I used to care about Everest, but now I’m over the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Before I buy a watch I need to know which was first to top Everest? Am I the only one who just doesn't care?
    I totally agree with you. Although I'm not sure anyone on the thread is actually discussing that to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Climbing Everest? Pah! It’s too easy.

K2 is where it’s at. It’s way harder than Everest to climb, and nobody’s ever climbed K2 in winter. Oh, hang on, I’ve just spotted a Bremont on the summit of K2 in January!

Okay, you’d wear an altimeter-watch for climbing in the Greater Ranges. Modern mountaineers need a watch that also shows the altitude, and an alarm function is handy too. But Bremont sponsors the mountaineering legend that is Nims Purja. Thus, a Bremont made the summit of “the killer mountain”.

Pedants will notice that this photo isn't the summit of K2. But, hey, that's marketing!
    Awesome achievement, and I’m very pleased for Nims and the whole team. If Bremont can benefit from their sponsorship of these types of events I think it’s great. It’s also good to see what can be achieved and the development of equipment and techniques - but someone’s got to pay for it all.
    It's just a matter of time...

To be clear, for people like me who do not have much time for Bremont because of their dodgy marketing in the past, I believe it is a step in the right direction: Sponsorship of a good challenge that was successful, and reaping the rewards in advertising and image.
    I have absolutely no problem with this. Quite the opposite really, they took a chance and helped the expedition, it paid off, good for them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I do so hope you are talking about watches...
    Sorry bobbee, good point.