closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Macbook

Master

New Macbook

With everyone at home we are running out of laptops for the kids to do their homework, wife to do her courses etc. At least one of the iPads is also on its way out.
    So, thinking about getting a new MacBook.
    This will be mainly for doing homework etc but will also be used when/if the kids go to Uni etc.

Some of the old 13” MacBook Pro’s are on clearance at J Lewis. Worth considering one of these or better to buy one with the new M1 chip?

A used one would also be in consideration - any places worth looking at that sell good examples of used MacBooks with a warranty etc?

Cheers

Master
    I have the latest M1 13" MacBook Pro and have had many iterations of models in the past. If your budget stretches then get the M1 not wholly for the performance but more so for the noticeably better battery life. It also comes with the redesigned keyboard which is also much better but think they introduced this with the previous Intel only revision. The base model 256GB SSD 13 MacBook Pro is currently a £107 saving on the £1,299 RRP at Amazon but the M1 MacBook Air only has a few pounds off but still over £200 cheaper.

The new M1 MacBooks are far superior and outperform the old Intel MacBooks in almost every way. The only reasons for getting an Intel MacBook are if you have to run Boot Camp or you need to run an application that uses a dedicated GPU.

I have an M1 MacBook Air (8 core GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) on order to replace a 2012 15” MacBook Pro.

For most tasks the M1 Air is equal in performance to the M1 Pro. The Pro has longer battery life, a brighter screen and a fan which allows it to sustain peak performance for longer (useful if rendering video).
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 19th January 2021 at 14:57.

Master
    As above. I'd get an M1 if you can... the performance and battery life over the outgoing Intel models make them almost a no brainer at this point.

M1 is the future and where Apple will focus their efforts - I would not (as a general user) buy an intel MacBook at this point.

Journeyman
    The new M1 is exceptional - I bought one in December and its been a dream and I'm sure it will last for many years to come

Master
    I have both models and use the M1 most for the amazing battery life it is amazing really as other have said.

Master
    I understand that apple are launching some new models with a refreshed design (replacing the touchbar with physical buttons, increasing number of USB ports, reinstating Magsafe etc) so would advise waiting for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I understand that apple are launching some new models with a refreshed design (replacing the touchbar with physical buttons, increasing number of USB ports, reinstating Magsafe etc) so would advise waiting for now.
    These are to replace the higher end MacBook Pros (13” 4 port and 16”). They will likely start at £1.8K so are likely over the budget of the OP. The current M1 Air and MacBook Pro are 70 days old so won’t be replaced for the best part of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Exactly what I'm waiting on. Hope the 13" MBP follows the 15" and grows a tiny bit too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Exactly what I'm waiting on. Hope the 13" MBP follows the 15" and grows a tiny bit too.
    I think they are rumoured to be 14" and 16" with an edge bezel like the iPhone 12. I think i'll be getting one.

Master
    Thanks all. That is a resounding ‘get the M1’ response! Probably the first time there has been unanimous agreement here!

Whatever I buy it will need to last a good few years - my 15” MacBook is from 2012 and still going strong - into Uni for at least one of the kids etc.

I don’t think we’d be doing anything too intensive like video rendering etc.

Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the new MacBook Pro 13” ones is the size of the SSD?

Back to the J Lewis site...
    Last edited by bambam; 19th January 2021 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Back to the J Lewis site...
    Does your work have a discount scheme with Apple? I got a 6% discount on my M1 MacBook Air buying direct from Apple via my work portal. I could have done the same using my wife’s work too (she works for the NHS).

The differences are in RAM, a graphics core and SSD size. The Pro also has a fan. The processor is the same in all M1 models.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 19th January 2021 at 16:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Does your work have a discount scheme with Apple? I got a 6% discount on my M1 MacBook Air buying direct from Apple via my work portal. I could have done the same using my wife’s work too (she works for the NHS).

The differences are in RAM, a graphics core and SSD size. The Pro also has a fan. The processor is the same in all M1 models.
    I don’t think we have any such discounts with Apple unfortunately.

Hi OP,

My work has an institutional discount scheme with Apple, so we get discounted price on pretty much all Apple products with an extended warranty.

I just checked, for the latest version of Macbook Pro with M1 processor,

256GB SSD: £1077.48

512GB SSD: £1242.16

Both with 4-year warranty (1 year from Apple and 3 years from the reseller)

I also recommend the new one, I have the last intel version (15 inch) and my partner's new 13 inch one performs a fair bit better.

Happy to buy it for you if you like:) (open offer to others)

Due to home schooling requirements, we have just purchased a Google Pixelbook Go which is a Chromebook. Very impressed with it so far and costing £629, it was about half the price of the MacBook Air we already have. You can get Chromebooks from about £300, if you can find one in stock and for home schooling, they are worth a look.

Journeyman
    The missus has the new M1, as other have said it's exceptional. I'm hoping the larger 16inch will get the M1 sooner rather than later. In answer to the OP, I'd not suggest saving money buying an older mac now, this has been a big leap on battery use alone.

I don’t think we have any such discounts with Apple unfortunately.
    If either of you work for a reasonably large organisation it’s worth checking closely - my work has a discount scheme with 100’s of retailers, including Apple & John Lewis, yet it’s hidden away in the online Benefits section, not publicised and has to be signed-up for - consequently, I doubt more than a handful of people in the office are even aware of it (most people just roll-over their benefits selection with the minimum of effort/attention). It’s simple to use - just a follow-through link online to the retailer website with discount automatically applied.

My electricity provider also offers a similar scheme - again, probably not even noticed by most consumers.

Alternatively, don’t forget the cash-back sources too - Quidco etc.

Another vote for the M1 too - I didn’t bother buying in the end, but the performance & especially the longer battery life made it the clear choice.

Master
    I have a 13” M1 MBP arriving tomorrow. I’m a bit annoyed because I was holding out for the new 16” version to arrive later in the year with (rumoured) magsafe, more ports and no silly touchbar! However the SSD in my 2013 MBP finally gave up the ghost last week so my hand was forced.

Still - by all accounts even the ‘low end’ M1 Pro is very impressive and the new keyboard is much better too - so lets see how we go.

Craftsman
    I’ve got the M1 MacBook Air which I picked up from the Apple Student Site for £899. Battery is exceptional compared to the older models and it’s brilliant. I swapped from a 2017 MacBook Pro i5 which is slower in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

New Macbook

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I need a new MacBook or iMac. My current iMac has used about 300GB of storage. If I bought a MacBook with 256GB would I need to connect an external drive as well or is there another solution apart from going for the 512GB option?
    I guess it depends on what your storing. I use the iCloud as archive storage for videos, pictures and documents, it’s handy because I can access it on my iPhone anywhere and if I lost the hard drive I could still access it from a new device.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    If either of you work for a reasonably large organisation it’s worth checking closely - my work has a discount scheme with 100’s of retailers, including Apple & John Lewis, yet it’s hidden away in the online Benefits section, not publicised and has to be signed-up for - consequently, I doubt more than a handful of people in the office are even aware of it (most people just roll-over their benefits selection with the minimum of effort/attention). It’s simple to use - just a follow-through link online to the retailer website with discount automatically applied.

My electricity provider also offers a similar scheme - again, probably not even noticed by most consumers.

Alternatively, don’t forget the cash-back sources too - Quidco etc.

Another vote for the M1 too - I didn’t bother buying in the end, but the performance & especially the longer battery life made it the clear choice.
    Thanks. I did check again and we do have such a scheme. We can get discounts at places like J Lewis and Currys via reloadable shopping cards or we can earn Wow points.

We have a bunch of J Lewis vouchers already so would like to use those to reduce the cash outlay. Adding a shopping card gives another 3% off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Hi OP,

My work has an institutional discount scheme with Apple, so we get discounted price on pretty much all Apple products with an extended warranty.

I also recommend the new one, I have the last intel version (15 inch) and my partner's new 13 inch one performs a fair bit better.

That is a very kind offer. Might take you up on that. Currently thinking about going via John Lewis as we have some vouchers we can use.

Just out of interest, how would delivery work via your work scheme?

That is a very kind offer. Might take you up on that. Currently thinking about going via John Lewis as we have some vouchers we can use.

Just out of interest, how would delivery work via your work scheme?
    No problem at all:) Pretty sure I can just use your address / contact details for shipping directly. Will send you a PM!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Hi OP,

That’s ridiculously cheap. I thought the Apple Student price of 10% off was good and that’s £1,168 for the 256gb and £1,348 for the 512gb.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    That’s ridiculously cheap. I thought the Apple Student price of 10% off was good and that’s £1,168 for the 256gb and £1,348 for the 512gb.

Haha yes - my family and I have saved a few penny over the years (they do Microsoft surface etc as well).

My M1 MacBook Air arrived on Wednesday. I’m extremely impressed with it so far. It is incredibly fast to open apps. Photos is the most impressive with my 40000+ photo library launching immediately.

I have a 13” Pro Touch and 12” MacBook. My next laptop will likely be a Razer with a 30 series dedicated GPU.