closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hi-FI

Craftsman

Hi-FI

I know there is some hifi experts here ,Iam looking to buy a new budget system ,I was thinking of Marantz cd6007 and pm6007 amp or Audiolab 6000cdt and 6000a amp ,I can upgrade to a stand alone DAC later ,these would be paired with Elac b5.2 speakers .
    What are peoples opinions of the above or is there other brands i should be looking for ,obviously due to lockdown I will be buying them online without hearing them.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    What is your budget and what source(s) do you listen from?

Craftsman
    Budget is £1000-£1200 listening source is primarily cd

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have been considering a system with the same sort of budget. The Rega Brio is a very well regarded integrated amp for around £600, there a matching CD player the Apollo that I find to be very attractive... both genuinely made in the UK which also ticks a box for me without going to Naim or Linn money!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I just bought an Audiolab 6000A and Audiolab 6000CDT, as well as a Cambridge Audio network streamer. I’m very happy with this set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I have been considering a system with the same sort of budget. The Rega Brio is a very well regarded integrated amp for around £600, there a matching CD player the Apollo that I find to be very attractive... both genuinely made in the UK which also ticks a box for me without going to Naim or Linn money!
    you can get a pre owned naim 5i-2 for around £400 /500 - well within your budget , ive owned both the rega brio and an audiolab 8000a - the rega was ok but need speaker matching as it has a laid back sound, i thought the audiolab was below par for all the hype they have (obviously this may differ from ear ot ear) , the naim blows them both out the water.
    at around that price range ( 1-1.2k ) you are going to get some pre owned gear that is way better than any new gear away.

Craftsman
    I’m looking to list the following soon as recently upgraded to a new NAIM system:
    - Cambridge Audio CXA60 (silver)
    - Cambridge Audio CXC (silver)
    - Cambridge Audio CXN v1 (silver) - may not sell this until the following month as may be left with no streamer

All reviewed well by the usual suspects.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    I’m looking to list the following soon as recently upgraded to a new NAIM system:
    - Cambridge Audio CXA60 (silver)
    - Cambridge Audio CXC (silver)
    - Cambridge Audio CXN v1 (silver) - may not sell this until the following month as may be left with no streamer

All reviewed well by the usual suspects.
    May I ask what Naim system you have, been looking at a Supernait 3 integrated :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    May I ask what Naim system you have, been looking at a Supernait 3 integrated :)
    That’s what I’ve just bought. Best amp I’ve owned bar none. I now know what people mean when they talk about PRaT .

I looked at the SN2 but decided on the SN3 as it’s newer with a 5yr warranty, has a DR power supply for the pre-amp and has a phono stage input.

Am running it with a Chord Qutest through some NEAT speakers and the sound is absolutely sublime. Well worth the investment and that’s running it without a Hicap DR / TeddyCap.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 19th January 2021 at 23:41.

I’d get a good second hand integrated amp from somewhere like pink fish media or hifi wigwam

Rip all of your CDs to FLAC

Stream using a RPi with DAC (I use a Pi 3 with Qaudiodac)

That should leave you a decent amount of cash for speakers that suit your room

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    That’s what I’ve just bought. Best amp I’ve owned bar none. I now know what people mean when they talk about PRaT .

I looked at the SN2 but decided on the SN3 as it’s newer with a 5yr warranty, has a DR power supply for the pre-amp and has a phono stage input.

Am running it with a Chord Qutest through some NEAT speakers and the sound is absolutely sublime. Well worth the investment and that’s running it without a Hicap DR / TeddyCap.
    Thanks gav that’s pleasing to hear. I had a brief demo by default as was in the shop buying an av system so need to go back when allowed for a more detailed listen

Let my boxes go and now looking for a simple one box solution mainly for feeding my turntable into :eagerness

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Thanks gav that’s pleasing to hear. I had a brief demo by default as was in the shop buying an av system so need to go back when allowed for a more detailed listen

Let my boxes go and now looking for a simple one box solution mainly for feeding my turntable into :eagerness
    Any decent dealer will let you have a home demo and IMO that's the only way you can really make a decision based on your surroundings, speakers, comfort zone etc...

I spent all the demo-weekend listening to albums I know really well and was hearing all sorts of detail akin to listening to headphones. Of course speakers make all the difference.

I was running a pair of B&W CM6 S2 speakers and invested in a set of NEAT Iota ALPHA's (ignore the form factor) and they have transformed my listening experience. NAIM and NEAT just pair so well.

Look for an ex-demo model (you will still get a 5-yr warranty and it will be run-in) and you will easily save £400+. From memory TomTom Audio have one in stock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    I just bought an Audiolab 6000A and Audiolab 6000CDT, as well as a Cambridge Audio network streamer. I’m very happy with this set-up.
    I have the Audiolab 6000A and couldn't be happier with it. Up there with the Rega Brio on sound quality, if not quite as good, but for me the extra functionality swung it (BT, DAC etc,).

Mostly I listen through my Thorens TD125 TT or Tidal from my phone via a Google Chromecast Audio connected to an optical in.

My CD player has just given up the ghost so I have just bought the 6000CDT which I'm looking forward to trying.

Slightly contemplating buying a dedicated streamer as the phone/chromecast combo is a slight faff but we'll see on that.

Craftsman
    Thanks gav will check the link out

Journeyman

Hi-FI

These days I’d always pick up something second hand! Stereo equipment doesn’t age anything like as quickly as Av receivers.
    For your budget, you could get something really special used

In my home office I’ve a Yamaha Yamaha A-S500 £80, NAD C525BEE (£40), Mission 734 (£20, though I had to repair one speaker) and Moth Alamo TT (rebranded Planar p2) (£130)

That’s £1,500 of hi fi at new prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve bought a few used hifi items over the years and always been happy, but listening to a system is key so I would get to a local quality hifi shop after lockdown and try some stuff.

A pair of Quad S2 would be on my list over the Elacs. Ribbon tweeter...sweet as a nut.The Marantz will be fine for the electronics.

Journeyman
    I would love to hear these esoteric setups.

The Sony TAF B 930 and 940 used to win what Hifi awards years ago. I have a Sony 940 hooked up to Tannoy Revolution R2s playing Spotify. Sounds great.

A soon as lock down finishes I'll check out a better system.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of you should buy my CD player on SC lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just bought bought my first 'proper' music system in 45 years. When I was a student I spent two thirds of my first grant cheque on (IIRC) a Teac turntable, Marantz amp and Kef Coda speakers - it was fine for its time (though my finances weren't great for a few months!).

But yesterday I took delivery of a Denon PMA600NE amp, Denon DCD600NE CD player and a pair of Dali Spektor 2 speakers. All bought new at around £850 for the lot. The amp and CD player are marketed as a good introduction into the world of hifi - basically no frills but decent quality. The speakers are smaller than the Kefs I had all those years ago. I have no idea what a fully optimised system might sound like, but I am completely blown away by the sound of this small and simple/straightforward set up. The sound is so clear and detailed compared to any home music I have ever had. Listening to my old CDs is like hearing them properly for the first time.

No doubt if I had done more research and bought secondhand the same budget would have led to an even more impressive sound. It feels like this could be the start of a very expensive hobby....

I don't think I can be much help as this entry point but be warned it can be a very slippery slope, watches can look like a cheap hobby in comparison, I upgraded my system this year and spent way too much but music gives me far more pleasure than a watch can

Half the battle is your room, around 50% of what you are listening to is the room as well as the equipment, a basic system in an acoustically favourable room will sound better than 100k system in one that isn't

Always experiment with speaker placement and listening position if possible.

I just got the Elac b5.2 speakers for my office and time they do sound great for their size and driver sizes.

I would seriously recommend listening to them before purchasing, might not be that easy these days but speaker choice is very personal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

Half the battle is your room, around 50% of what you are listening to is the room as well as the equipment, a basic system in an acoustically favourable room will sound better than 100k system in one that isn't

Yes, I have the choice of two rooms - one rectangular with sitting area and dining area and a smaller one (around 14ft by 14ft) square . The smaller room is less cluttered and I can arrange the system along one wall instead of a corner. I think I will opt for that one as it is more amenable to changing furniture and speaker positions. 'Heard but not seen' is the order of the day in the bigger room...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I just got the Elac b5.2 speakers for my office and time they do sound great for their size and driver sizes.

I would seriously recommend listening to them before purchasing, might not be that easy these days but speaker choice is very personal.
    Yes, thanks - if/when I want to get some better speakers, I will definitely try to listen first (and has also been said, look for secondhand options)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I don't think I can be much help as this entry point but be warned it can be a very slippery slope, watches can look like a cheap hobby in comparison, I upgraded my system this year and spent way too much but music gives me far more pleasure than a watch can

You’re spot on there. I’ve spent far more on my hifi system than any watch or all of my watches combined, but as previously mentioned I love my music, escapism doesn’t get much better for me. I’d also add, with regards to this extremely slippery slope of incredible expense that where you get to looking at upgrading your fuses it’s time to stop

Craftsman
    I can't advise on kit but on our Aus forum the general advice is to buy used on Gumtree. Find the guy who is trading up having lovingly looked after their hi-fi. One user is happy to search for you and recommend what to buy, https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/user/208743?days=7.