closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dremel or other rotary tool

Master

Dremel or other rotary tool

Hi
    Quite fancy getting a Dremel or similar for some little jobs where you need a cutting, smoothing, shaping capability.

Don’t want to spend loads to get lots of things I won’t use, but do want it to last.

Never bought one before - so what’s recommended?

Cheers

Master
    I was quite unimpressed with the new "Made in China" dremels. Very flimsy motor similar to a Scalextric car, so don't expect to do any "hard" work. (see how many are available on ebay as spares or repair!) Very handy for small, light jobs though. Anything heavier and the Bosch would be better IMHO.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/t...bosch.1174581/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Owned two Dremels and both gave up after a while.

Went for a Lidl Parkside (or PARKSIDE! if you like Blur), and it’s been fantastic and I’m very demanding of power tools.

I bought a COMO drill set over 20 years ago https://www.mfacomodrills.com/pdfs/como-price-list.pdf. ... still used regularly but last week had to replace the box 'hard foam' in which the drill and all its accessories are housed ... most foam eventually disintegrates.
    Cheaper than Dremel

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Owned two Dremels and both gave up after a while.

Went for a Lidl Parkside (or PARKSIDE! if you like Blur), and it’s been fantastic and I’m very demanding of power tools.
    These have a very good reputation, they seem to get 'snapped up' in Lidl at about £17.00 and then go straight to ebay for about £30.00
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've had a Dremel for years, great bit of kit and the battery seems to last for ages, also picked up a couple of very cheap knock offs over the years from the car boots, remember those ? and they have performed really well.

Master
    Thanks all.

So, what are the key points to look at? Power, RPM, corded, cordless... I'm not planning any heavy duty activity with it, but want something that won't run out of puff in a tougher job.

Are the attachments interchangeable between brands or are they quite specific?

Master
    I have had a few in my time. In fact I would not be without with one. They are all as good as each other imo, but it all depends how your going to use it.

Master
    I tried a battery dremel and it didn’t last long so it went in the bin. I do have a dremel 3000 now and use it a lot for little things including sharpening a chain saw. Good bits of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My mother has a Dremel type thing for sale, you're welcome to have a go for about £20 delivered.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Dremel. Simply for the ad-ons. They do a great angled 'head' that can act as drill - with a proper wood drill - when you need to drill holes in small or confined spaces where a normal drill can not go. You don't need an overly expensive Festool for that sort of situations.

I like working with the flexible extension on the Dremel. I hang it down from the ceiling and use the easy-to-handle pen-shaped end.

What I don't like is the price of the parts you need. Like printer ink and Nespresso cups: they're expensive!

Menno

I have an American made Dremel and Chinese one, the only thing that they gave in common is the name.

Master
    i bought a dremel a while back for a small grinding job that a normal grinder was overkill for, i hardly use it but when needed for small intricate jobs its a godsend.

i also bought a third party accessory set, 101 piece or something for peanuts, well worth it.

I bought a Proxon a few years ago - it's a Luxembourg/German company and they seem to provide a very full range of accessories like Dremel do.

https://www.proxxon.com/en/#

I bought it to remove a row of links on a shark mesh and haven't regretted it - it probably cost the same as paying somebody to do the job and I've used it countless times since.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I’ve got a mains powered Dremel, worked perfectly for grinding off a hard to reach seized bolt under my Lambretta rear mudguard.

Master
    I have had two mains powered Dremels, I burnt the first one out! What I have learned is let the motor spin at its max speed for that setting. I burnt out the first one polishing a motorcycle fork clamp, probably only 8”X 2” But I applied too much pressure, the motor slowed and puff!

The second has been faultless even cutting off a cycle lock “ at home” when I thought I had lost the key..........which I subsequently found a week later. Yep the lock was probably more expensive than the Dremel

Steve

Master
    What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotary-Tack...ix=tack&sr=8-3

Seems quite powerful - 200W and has a decent range of accessories etc. Seems to be compatible with standard tools and accessories as well. Reasonable price at £40.
    Thoughts?

In my experience, most will be fine as long as you don't demand too much of them.

I've not seen the LIDL one, but the cheap Chinese ones are fine for light work (I have a USB rechargeable one for that), but a mains powered Dremel will handle tougher jobs.

Mine, though, cried enough when I tried to grind down a number of bolts securing an undertray to my wife's car - It did a few and then burnt out.

The angle grinder I subsequently bought made light work of it (amidst an impressive shower of sparks! )

So, what you need will depend on what you intend to do with it.

A Dremel will be fine, if not abused - A cheap Chinese one, probably sufficient if it's lightweight cutting and sanding to be tackled.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?