closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Second Hand Tesla

Craftsman

Second Hand Tesla

Just wondering if anyone on here has a bought a SH Tesla and can share their experiences please.
    Most of the info I can see relates to lease deals and I tend to be a longer term owner with my cars

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't have a lot to add but I'm thinking of doing similar, buying a secondhand EV, preferably a Tesla. A good friend of mine bought a 2017 ( I believe) Model S. He wanted a model that could use the free supercharger network, although it seems that, having ended that offering, Testa have now re-introduced it. I haven't seen him since before Covid, but prior to that he was singing the car's praises. He previously owned an i3. My main concerns are the purported reliability issues and the fairly hefty outlay.

Whilst it’s electric, a Tesla is just another car. The only thing different to check is the battery health. Having said that, an 85kwhr battery at 80% is still more than most new EVs.

In reality the battery should last far longer than the life of the car. I’d definitely consider a second hand model s (I can’t afford a new one!) and the two EVs I’ve bought have both been second hand.

Blog Entries
    Not secondhand but new Model 3 Performance which I have had since September.

Plenty of info on the FB groups on folk who have purchased s/h Model S’s and they way they hold value speaks volumes. I had a 2017 Model S 100D loaner in November for a couple of weeks when mine was at the Chelmsford SC and it was a lovely car to eat some miles in. Lots of for and against the S over the 3 but it all comes down to what we all want from a car. Happy to have a natter on the phone if it would help.

Cheers

Pitch

Just be aware that certain features the seller may have paid for may be deactivated...
    And you get to pay for them again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Not secondhand but new Model 3 Performance which I have had since September.

Plenty of info on the FB groups on folk who have purchased s/h Model S’s and they way they hold value speaks volumes. I had a 2017 Model S 100D loaner in November for a couple of weeks when mine was at the Chelmsford SC and it was a lovely car to eat some miles in. Lots of for and against the S over the 3 but it all comes down to what we all want from a car. Happy to have a natter on the phone if it would help.

Cheers

Pitch
    Why was yours there for a couple of weeks?

With the pace of development of electric cars I think buying one outright is a brave thing to do, the momentum has now picked up at such a rate that anything on the market now may be obsolete in two or three years.

The newer models will be that much better and as the market grows prices will fall

We leased an EV for two years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why was yours there for a couple of weeks?
    Just a couple of bits I picked up on delivery. Misted rear lights, very slight knock on front suspension which took the time to sort, it was actually a fault shock, and the rear glass roof panel was replaced. It has the merest of deflection in glass which I was fine with but they wanted to replace it.

I found the Chelmsford SC absolutely brilliant and quite a bit of a nicer experience to dealing with the big Germans over the past 16 years.

Very few cars are perfect and I knew from the outset that buying a brand new model from a very new manufacturer would make me in effect a guinea pig which I am fine with. The car's +'s way outweigh the couple of issues I had bu a mile, it is fantastic bit of kit and my own experience with Tesla is very good. Happy!!!!

Pitch

Blog Entries
    With the pace of development of electric cars I think buying one outright is a brave thing to do, the momentum has now picked up at such a rate that anything on the market now may be obsolete in two or three years.

The newer models will be that much better and as the market grows prices will fall

100%, could not agree more and same route to having one in the garage for me.

Pitch

I’ve bought both of mine outright, my intention being to run them for as long as possible.

Whilst it’s true that newer, better ones come along making the older stuff obsolete, as long as they still do what you want them to, they are still more than adequate.

As an analogy, the latest 8k, all singing and dancing TVs are incredible but you can still watch Corrie on your old tv!

Craftsman
    I have spent quite some time wondering this too.

We currently have 3 vehicles and was considering getting rid of my wifes Truck and my Audi for a Tesla Model S (New).
    Looked at the figures and just really couldn't justify it. The options were to finance or lease. With Finance, after 4 years, you would have paid in the region of £60k, with a final payment of around £30k, or hand it back. With Leasing, it was almost the same figures monthly (Just over £1k per month). Thats some expensive motoring of something you either dont own at all, or own part of at the end.

My concern with the used ones (even the Tesla approved) is the battery. We would need something like a Tesla to get the range required. If the range starts dropping off, you are stuck with a useless car, or an expensive replacement (if thats even an option).

The problem is, the right time to be owning them is slipping away from a BIK angle.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    My concern with the used ones (even the Tesla approved) is the battery. We would need something like a Tesla to get the range required. If the range starts dropping off, you are stuck with a useless car, or an expensive replacement (if thats even an option).
    On another thread there’s a graph showing that the average battery health is above 90% at the end of an average Tesla lifespan.

Battery life is very rarely an issue, probably less so than engine or gearbox life. Should range become an issue though, there’ll always be someone fir whom it isn’t so the resale value will probably stay better or comparable with an ICE vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    100%, could not agree more and same route to having one in the garage for me.
    I'm still some years off having a purely electric vehicle for sure, but it does seem a bit like buying a new iPhone every couple of years.

Actually, an iPhone actually only improves by tiny amounts these days, so probably far worse than buying an iPhone now and holding onto it for a few years!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Some advice here on buying a used Model S, if it's the one you were thinking of:

https://www.whatcar.com/tesla/model-...ew/n996/advice
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm still some years off having a purely electric vehicle for sure, but it does seem a bit like buying a new iPhone every couple of years.

Actually, an iPhone actually only improves by tiny amounts these days, so probably far worse than buying an iPhone now and holding onto it for a few years!

M
    The Tesla over the air updates are a nice touch and I have several over the past nearly five months. The last couple have included, Spotify App re-config, PIN to drive and glovebox lock, completely new user interface, autopilot graphic and function improvements, priority key improvements.

This car does seem to be like the iPhone in such that with software updates it is like having a new phone.

Pitch

Have a look at this article: https://electrek.co/2020/06/12/tesla...e-packs-equal/

In short the batteries as a whole perform better than Tesla speculated over time/mileage. However there is a noticeable variance between batteries depending on their batch.

Personally, the predictability/consistency is more important for me so knowing the batteries are consistent makes possible being able to use past miles per charge as a yard stick, which is a huge plus.

Master
    I got my Tesla second hand. It was back in 2014 and was direct from Tesla as it was a demo car. Got a great discount on it and recently sold it after mostly 6 years of trouble free motoring, and free electricity!

If you're looking to buy used, it's a great idea as the new cars are quite expensive nowadays, and if you buy well, the car can run for a few miles yet. Some Tesla's have done over 500,000 miles.

My car didn't have all the latest hardware but still got regular updates but be aware that out of warranty, repairs can be pricey which is the main reason I sold it.

Best go to a knowledgeable electric car dealer if you go second hand. I recommend Simon Jones, who I used to sell mine. But he made me fix absolutely everything and offered a 1 year warranty as well.

https://www.sjonesltd.co.uk/

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been very useful and helpful to assist with my further research

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Are there independents who work on Tesla’s? If not it could really affect value when warranty finishes.

This is a little old so the situation may have changed since then, but I do wonder whether we are really ready (fully prepared) for electric vehicles and disposal of them and, more importantly, their batteries.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/wr...MC31Fu0hYzx8q0