closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions please - on this house in Penn, Buckinghamshire?

£850k for just over 2100 sqft seems a lot, however I am unfamiliar with the area so perhaps it is good value?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Agreed. The Seller paid £750k back in 2012. I'm paying slightly below the current asking price.
    I sold a house in 2012 for pretty much what I paid for it in 2007. The global financial crisis was not helpful for several years afterwards.

If that is the case, then the current owners may well have paid way over the odds given the difference between 2012 and now.

That said, anything that stays on the market and goes stale is: a) telling you something, and; b) searchable years down the line in terms of previous marketing activity.

Anyway, good luck and as someone who has moved a lot, I hope all goes well with the transaction and move day itself.

Not knowing the area or market (I'm in San Diego), it seems a steep price for what you are getting. Wouldn't hurt to place a bid for 775 or so. I would definitely hire a professional home inspector to check out all the details: electrical system, plumbing, heating (no air conditioning), roofing, siding, fencing (rot?), termites, lawn/garden, broadband capability, etc.

That’s a couple of minutes down the road from me; nice part of the world and price looks ok for the area. It’s proper Penn, not Tyler’s Green!

Whether the house works for you or not is only for you to answer, it’s well priced i guess for a 4 bed house as it’s not huge and on a small plot. But it looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, let's hope it all goes smoothly. :)

We're buying to live in and enjoy (and have no plans for any extensive restructuring), so it suits our needs for the medium-term.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I sold a house in 2012 for pretty much what I paid for it in 2007. The global financial crisis was not helpful for several years afterwards.

If that is the case, then the current owners may well have paid way over the odds given the difference between 2012 and now.

That said, anything that stays on the market and goes stale is: a) telling you something, and; b) searchable years down the line in terms of previous marketing activity.

Anyway, good luck and as someone who has moved a lot, I hope all goes well with the transaction and move day itself.

Red face

Thanks Mike. Might bump into you then, during a walk around the Tylers Green pond.

It seems to be really popular with hikers there - they park their cars next to the pond and disappear into the woods. Where do they go? Are there good walking trails into the Chilterns?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    That’s a couple of minutes down the road from me; nice part of the world and price looks ok for the area. It’s proper Penn, not Tyler’s Green!

Whether the house works for you or not is only for you to answer, it’s well priced i guess for a 4 bed house as it’s not huge and on a small plot. But it looks nice.

The price is due to location, no chance on earth that would cost even half that where i live in west wales.

Thanks Mike. Might bump into you then, during a walk around the Tylers Green pond.

It seems to be really popular with hikers there - they park their cars next to the pond and disappear into the woods. Where do they go? Are there good walking trails into the Chilterns?
    Lots of good walking round here, routes are very muddy this time of year though. If you really wanted to get into the Chilterns proper then a short drive would be a better start, but you’d have lots of nice stuff on your doorstep.

The Chiltern Way runs right past the house, so it’s well connected for walking.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    The price is due to location, no chance on earth that would cost even half that where i live in west wales.
    Yes, and in Mayfair would cost a lot more:

In Penn, which is next to Beaconsfield, Bucks, yes it is very good value. If it had been a traditional period property rather than a 'modern' quirky structure, it would be worth £1m easily.

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    £850k for just over 2100 sqft seems a lot, however I am unfamiliar with the area so perhaps it is good value?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I quite like it, it’s not the sort of place that would suit us but I see the attraction
    I certainly wouldn’t be skipping on a proper survey though, flat roofs and all that....

Blog Entries
    Hate the look of it, it jars the eyes!

Red face

I’m sure you’re not alone in this opinion! :) It’s definitely a ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ structure.

That’s why it’s the price it is, I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Hate the look of it, it jars the eyes!

Question Cost of this?

Anyone have any idea (rough estimate), how much this would cost, excluding new bi-folds but including wooden flooring? I'd also want one of the hall windows turned into a tall 'picture window' too.

I don't think any of those walls are structural though.

QUOTE=cbh;5648333]I'd probably turn the sitting room into bedroom 4 (if needed) and knock through bedroom 4, study and ensuite into a sitting room and fit new bi-folds. This way it keeps bedroom 4 out of the way rather than opposite the front door, which would seem's weird to me and also give a bigger lounge.[/QUOTE]

Master
    Anyone have any idea (rough estimate), how much this would cost, excluding new bi-folds but including wooden flooring? I'd also want one of the hall windows turned into a tall 'picture window' too.

I don't think any of those walls are structural though.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I'd probably turn the sitting room into bedroom 4 (if needed) and knock through bedroom 4, study and ensuite into a sitting room and fit new bi-folds. This way it keeps bedroom 4 out of the way rather than opposite the front door, which would seem's weird to me and also give a bigger lounge.
    I can’t help with costs these will be regional, but my thoughts are

How much use will the study/office get? Is it better to keep greater separation from the lounge if you’re going to be wfh regularly?

Where will the gf wc go, if you remove the on suite, the lounge becomes an odd shape, if you remove the existing wc and convert the on suite you have access directly from the lounge and some excess space (Addison also storage?)

If it were me cost dependant I’d consider knocking the study through into on suite, turn the box part of existing study into the wc, perhaps take some more of the study to Mack coat/shoe storage.
    Lose all the existing bedroom walls, and the wall between kitchen and that area and put bifolds between kitchen and current lounge.

Have a play with https://floorplanner.com/ a basic account is foc and should help visualise any changes

I’m sure you’re not alone in this opinion! :) It’s definitely a ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ structure.

That’s why it’s the price it is, I’m sure.
    Don't forget that if you're in it, you don't have to look at the exterior.

Thank you - those are great ideas. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I can’t help with costs these will be regional, but my thoughts are

How much use will the study/office get? Is it better to keep greater separation from the lounge if you’re going to be wfh regularly?

Where will the gf wc go, if you remove the on suite, the lounge becomes an odd shape, if you remove the existing wc and convert the on suite you have access directly from the lounge and some excess space (Addison also storage?)

If it were me cost dependant I’d consider knocking the study through into on suite, turn the box part of existing study into the wc, perhaps take some more of the study to Mack coat/shoe storage.
    Lose all the existing bedroom walls, and the wall between kitchen and that area and put bifolds between kitchen and current lounge.

Have a play with https://floorplanner.com/ a basic account is foc and should help visualise any changes
    - - - Updated - - -

:) Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Don't forget that if you're in it, you don't have to look at the exterior.