closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please - on this house in Penn, Buckinghamshire?

Red face Opinions please - on this house in Penn, Buckinghamshire?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90404222#/

'Marmite', I know and not to everyone's taste - but with white render over the brick, charcoal windows and a new garage door - would look pretty good? :)

Smallish plot of land, but only £850k, which is pretty good VFM for the area, given the size of property.

All comments appreciated!

Interesting house- far more so than an “executive home” on a new housing estate. Some attractively shaped internal spaces, but finishes quite vanilla and not special. They have made a great effort to cram in 4 bedrooms with ensuites but the rooms themselves are small, and the sitting room is inadequate for the size of house. The best space looks to be the kitchen dining area. Now if you could put a good sized glass roofed living area in the outside space next to the kitchen linking it to the existing sitting room that could be quite special!

Man, that is the bees kneez

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I like that. Can’t help but think the cladding is made to look a bit drab just by the light/weather on the day the photos were taken.

Master
    Thats a huge slab of silvered Cedar, prefer it when its oiled.

Red face

Yep - a lot of cladding. Maybe stain it a light/medium oak colour? Garage and front door - oak or anthracite? :)

Just in case you are unaware, that's been on the market for ages. I remember coming across that in the summer when I was looking for a house. My experience recently is that good houses were really flying in the autumn so I would be a little concerned something was not "right" with it, if that makes sense.

The listing now says "Under Offer".

Red face

Thanks for the word of caution. Yes you're right, it's been on the market for a long time, but it's original asking price was £995,000 (!), just too much for a smallish plot and 'marmite' styling/structure. A 'Period' property though, of that size and in that location would sell for £1m minimum. At £850k, this one is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    Just in case you are unaware, that's been on the market for ages. I remember coming across that in the summer when I was looking for a house. My experience recently is that good houses were really flying in the autumn so I would be a little concerned something was not "right" with it, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/90404222#/

'Marmite', I know and not to everyone's taste - but with white render over the brick, charcoal windows and a new garage door - would look pretty good? :)

Smallish plot of land, but only £850k, which is pretty good VFM for the area, given the size of property.

All comments appreciated!

It's 'under offer', did you take the plunge?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Not that I'm an expert in these things but I'd be wary of all the roof joins and angles - especially the flat roof portions on the 2nd floor.
    I initially thought the cladding was 'council house concrete' with weather staining but on closer inspection see it's some kind of light wood, this may have stopped me even clicking the ad open when scrolling through right move.
    Interior looks well maintained but dated unless you like 90's minimalist but the single 'unattached' toilet might cause issues when entertaining.

Opinions please - on this house in Penn, Buckinghamshire?

Five toilets! Impressive.

Was only kidding, good luck with your move. Internal finishes all look new, you can do a lot with your own decor and furnishings. Potential for extending. Modernise garden.

Not a fan of cushions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2021 at 10:29.

Red face

Yes, I did. :) But getting 'the jitters' and looking for affirmation and advice, I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Yes, I did. :) But getting 'the jitters' and looking for affirmation and advice, I suppose...
    Well, I think it looks great, as someone else said, so much better than a homogenous new build.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The cladding is solid wood (Cedar), which would originally have been a 'medium oak' colour but over the years has weathered to a grey.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Not that I'm an expert in these things but I'd be wary of all the roof joins and angles - especially the flat roof portions on the 2nd floor.
    I initially thought the cladding was 'council house concrete' with weather staining but on closer inspection see it's some kind of light wood, this may have stopped me even clicking the ad open when scrolling through right move.
    Interior looks well maintained but dated unless you like 90's minimalist but the single 'unattached' toilet might cause issues when entertaining.

If it's the right price, offers the accommodation you need, and the location works, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What I would suggest is a decent survey. I'm guessing it started life as a smaller property (maybe a bungalow?) and was heavily extended about 10 years ago (property sale history: 2009 £385,000 - 2012 £750,000), so make sure everything's as it should be.

Thanks for the word of caution. Yes you're right, it's been on the market for a long time, but it's original asking price was £995,000 (!), just too much for a smallish plot and 'marmite' styling/structure. A 'Period' property though, of that size and in that location would sell for £1m minimum. At £850k, this one is very reasonable.
    I don't think it's been under offer the whole time it has been up so I don't think any issues would be survey related. I think it's more that the right buyer is needed for this kind of house.

Agree with £850k being reasonable for round there. I really like it's design and having a generous single garage is a really plus for me! We bought a house without a garage at all. At least the other half got everything on her "must have" list...

Best of luck with it, it looks really nice. :)

Hi there, are you the OP of a similar thread about this house on Pistonheads? if not, lots of useful comments

Cheers
    Mike

Edit to add. Seems I've answered my own question. I think ClaphamGT3's suggestion to get a survey and then decide is the right answer. I think I would still look around a bit more.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by P9MES; 19th January 2021 at 11:00.

Thanks All - for all the comments and advice. Much appreciated!

House-buying is such a pain in the arse - so many worst-case scenarios go through one's mind. :)

I'll get a survey for sure, but I'm certain this house hasn't sold so far as it's too 'quirky' for the area and has just a couple of small back gardens, although the front driveway is a decent size (can fit 5 cars on the gravel comfortably).

Master
    I saw that PH thread too a while back - are you the same OP? If so I’m confused because they said searches etc were underway at in November I think.

Ahh OK found it again and yes seems you’re the OP of both. Look whatever you decide to do, good luck.... but no survey!? Seriously?
    Last edited by Peck; 19th January 2021 at 11:13.

Red face

In my past experience, even a 'full structural survey' has limited benefit unless one's buying something that's about to obviously fall down. Surveys are full of so many disclaimers and 'get this and that checked out by an expert' paragraphs, that they become virtually worthless. Usual 'there's damp' here and there and 'roof might need re-doing in 10 yrs'.

So I kind of decided, if the structure and decor (inside and out) look good. No cracks, misaligned doors/ windows, etc., there's probably nothing wrong with the place. Of course...Sod's law...

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I saw that PH thread too a while back - are you the same OP? If so I’m confused because they said searches etc were underway at in November I think.

Ahh OK found it again and yes seems you’re the OP of both. Look whatever you decide to do, good luck.... but no survey!? Seriously?

It’s quite bland inside but I guess you could do something with that. I like the external look. A bit mid-century almost.

Master
    In my past experience, even a 'full structural survey' has limited benefit unless one's buying something that's about to obviously fall down. Surveys are full of so many disclaimers and 'get this and that checked out by an expert' paragraphs, that they become virtually worthless. Usual 'there's damp' here and there and 'roof might need re-doing in 10 yrs'.

So I kind of decided, if the structure and decor (inside and out) look good. No cracks, misaligned doors/ windows, etc., there's probably nothing wrong with the place. Of course...Sod's law...
    You’re spending best part of a million quid on a house and you didn’t want to cough up a few hundred on a proper survey.

I’m sorry but that is absolute madness IMO

No toilet-roll holder in the bathroom.......................

just sayin'

Yep - a lot of cladding. Maybe stain it a light/medium oak colour? Garage and front door - oak or anthracite? :)
    Solid cedar does not need staining. The whole point is to get it silvered, as it is. Why would you want it to be oak colour?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Like you I'm torn on the survey. I bought my current house (1920s extended house with some interesting building techniques in Risborough) and had a full structural survey. And that didnt stop then missing one my lofts had the old roof in it !!!!

They also pulled the " no electrical sign off". Didnt bother me as no mortgage .

However, I think that the GT3 guy on PH has made some very valid and sensible observations.

Does it have to be Penn? Another 50k and there are some great options towards Maidenhead and Wooburn.

I much prefer the 'silvered' look, but the wife doesn't. I'll try and convince her... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Solid cedar does not need staining. The whole point is to get it silvered, as it is. Why would you want it to be oak colour?

Master
    I'd probably turn the sitting room into bedroom 4 (if needed) and knock through bedroom 4, study and ensuite into a sitting room and fit new bi-folds. This way it keeps bedroom 4 out of the way rather than opposite the front door, which would seem's weird to me and also give a bigger lounge.

Red face

It doesn't HAVE to be in Penn, but another £50k isn't happening. :( The comments from ClaphamGT3 are valid to a point (regarding not fantastic ultimate finish on the cladding work and a few other areas of finish and detail on the structure and fittings that are not top-spec), but if this house had been completed to a 'money no object' spec, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

I discussed the issues with a Chartered Surveyor friend of mine (who does high-value residential valuations for a living) and showed him photos and video of the house, inside and out. He said not to worry as it all looks fine to him. Fingers-crossed! :)

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    Like you I'm torn on the survey. I bought my current house (1920s extended house with some interesting building techniques in Risborough) and had a full structural survey. And that didnt stop then missing one my lofts had the old roof in it !!!!

They also pulled the " no electrical sign off". Didnt bother me as no mortgage .

However, I think that the GT3 guy on PH has made some very valid and sensible observations.

Does it have to be Penn? Another 50k and there are some great options towards Maidenhead and Wooburn.

Planning to do this actually! :) Although we do not need a 4th bedroom, so will keep the current sitting room/snug.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I'd probably turn the sitting room into bedroom 4 (if needed) and knock through bedroom 4, study and ensuite into a sitting room and fit new bi-folds. This way it keeps bedroom 4 out of the way rather than opposite the front door, which would seem's weird to me and also give a bigger lounge.

Red face

Agreed - very bland! :) So a good starting point for redecoration.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    It’s quite bland inside but I guess you could do something with that. I like the external look. A bit mid-century almost.

Like the style, including light-coloured cladding.

I'd prefer more living space than that 4th bedroom but major downside for me would be the very small garden.

We're planning to get rid of the downstairs 4th bedroom. Can't do anything about the gardens unfortunately, but there are actually 2 small ones - one next to the sitting room and one near the kitchen/diner, next to the Utility room. I'm sure if this house had a large garden it would be out of my price range and would have sold a long time ago. Luckily, I'm not too fussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Like the style, including light-coloured cladding.

I'd prefer more living space than that 4th bedroom but major downside for me would be the very small garden.

We're planning to get rid of the downstairs 4th bedroom.
    I completely understand. The options suggested would allow for a better use of the ground floor. Just remember that a ground floor bedroom can be a godsend if someone is injured or after surgery, or if you need to host an elderly parent.

As to the cedar, play the long game: It certainly isn't urgent and you have ample cause to concentrate on decorating the living space rather than the outside. Cedar is a wonderful wood, very long lasting and it blends in well with other construction material. Have a look at the cost of fitting new: it may give your wife a better idea of how much of an upmarket finish it is.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 19th January 2021 at 13:42.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Personally, I am not a fan of houses that have already been heavily extended. I appreciate they work for some people, but to me it would feel as if there is little potential left in the tank should it ever be needed... In a similar but different fashion, I feel the same about cars too, I don't need big BHP but its nice to know its there

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like it, particularly the silvered cedar.

I'm quite happy actually that the house has all the space we need and therefore no need for any further extension. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of houses that have already been heavily extended. I appreciate they work for some people, but to me it would feel as if there is little potential left in the tank should it ever be needed... In a similar but different fashion, I feel the same about cars too, I don't need big BHP but its nice to know its there

Craftsman
    The rooms are pretty small,you see this all the time in British homes,too many rooms crammed in to a small space ,so home can be advertised as 3/4 bedroom etc never mind that room is a boxroom etc

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My wife and I both really like it, and if it was £100,000 less, would be offering to fight you for it.
    We are planning to move from North Harrow to the Chesham / Amersham area in the next three or four years.

Red face

:) Thanks for the feedback! Amersham is lovely. Planning to move there for Grammar schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    My wife and I both really like it, and if it was £100,000 less, would be offering to fight you for it.
    We are planning to move from North Harrow to the Chesham / Amersham area in the next three or four years.

Generally speaking, I think the extensions and the cladding are incongruous and don't speak well to each other.

The original building probably wasn't architecturally interesting enough to extend sympathetically, and whoever has cladded it has tried to get around this with a theme that tries to tie everything together, except it doesn't hit the mark.

If you're not bothered by that and the interior space works well for you, then go for it. The interior looks like it has been done to a price, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, you'll be paying for the finished article, so if you want to start ripping out the interior then you will be throwing some money away.

My wife and I have had to move several times over the past 15 years due to work relocations and I have never had to ask anyone other than her if we are doing the right thing buying a particular property. If you have any doubts, OP, then here might not be the best place to assuage them. Is this definitely the right property for you if you have to ask?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of houses that have already been heavily extended. I appreciate they work for some people, but to me it would feel as if there is little potential left in the tank should it ever be needed.
    There may not be a lot of potential left in the tank, but buying a house with major extension works done vs buying a house and then getting the builders in, you may extend how you want but its a headache and a half even if you have decent builders, especially so if you are living in whilst work is in progress.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it - the decor looks fine to me and so does the kitchen and bathroom fitments. We just about live in our kitchen/diner/living space and that looks a nice space to enjoy. I like the silvering of the cedar. As far as I can tell from the plan all the bedrooms are perfectly OK as doubles, even if some are not exactly generous. The only thing I am not so keen on are the four ensuites without a family bathroom. Obviously this may work for your needs but may not be ideal for another purchaser. The garden may be a bit on the small side, but the outlook looks pleasant enough and not everyone wants a large garden - as you point out, if the garden was bigger, the house may be too expensive.

Master
    :) Thanks for the feedback! Amersham is lovely. Planning to move there for Grammar schools?
    The Grammar Schools would only be if my grandchildren came to live with me!! We cycle out and round there,and our time trials all take place from Great Missenden.
    Another big advantage of Amersham is both Met line and Chiltern line.

like it a lot. The vaulted ceiling are great and will make it feel much bigger. Living space is generous and it has loads of potential if you wanted to make it look prettier in the future,

Red face

Thanks for your comments. I actually quite like the external structure and design. It's not pretty or 'flowing' I suppose, but has a brutal charm all of its own. :) The original building was a 1950's bungalow, so no particular character to 'sympathetically' keep in mind with the future extensions.

I didn't really start this thread to decide whether to buy it or not (I've already decided to) - more to gauge 'popular opinion' on the design of the house (as I know it's marmite) and also to get opinions as to exterior colours of render/ windows/ garage door, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Generally speaking, I think the extensions and the cladding are incongruous and don't speak well to each other.

The original building probably wasn't architecturally interesting enough to extend sympathetically, and whoever has cladded it has tried to get around this with a theme that tries to tie everything together, except it doesn't hit the mark.

If you're not bothered by that and the interior space works well for you, then go for it. The interior looks like it has been done to a price, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, you'll be paying for the finished article, so if you want to start ripping out the interior then you will be throwing some money away.

My wife and I have had to move several times over the past 15 years due to work relocations and I have never had to ask anyone other than her if we are doing the right thing buying a particular property. If you have any doubts, OP, then here might not be the best place to assuage them. Is this definitely the right property for you if you have to ask?

Thanks for your comments. I actually quite like the external structure and design. It's not pretty or 'flowing' I suppose, but has a brutal charm all of its own. :) The original building was a 1950's bungalow, so no particular character to 'sympathetically' keep in mind with the future extensions.

I didn't really start this thread to decide whether to buy it or not (I've already decided to) - more to gauge 'popular opinion' on the design of the house (as I know it's marmite) and also to get opinions as to exterior colours of render/ windows/ garage door, etc.
    Sorry, perhaps I'd misunderstood, as I thought you had also started a thread on PH about it some time ago. If you decided to go for it in the interim then fair enough.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to it that will see you add any value. The windows and garage door look quite recent, as does the cladding. One of the nicer aspects for me is the brickwork, so I'd be loathe to render that in order to keep the cladding in place. It comes back to the brickwork and wood not really gelling together, particularly on something that has ended up rather top heavy. I'm pretty certain a sympathetic approach could have been taken to those extensions with a decent architect on board, otherwise they wouldn't have ended up with those two dormers and the overhang above the front door that makes the porch offset.

If you really wanted to go to town I would actually be looking to replace the uPVC windows for something more contemporary looking. Perhaps then, if you rendered the brickwork, you could marry the wood, render colour and windows (+ garage door) together. Anthracite windows might look nice, but how much change you will get out of tens of thousands for render, windows and a replacement garage door I don't know. You'll also have the ongoing ball ache of re-rendering every couple of years depending on how much you can tolerate discolouration from sun, drips from gutters etc. etc.

If it's been for sale for a long time in what was a hot market last Autumn, I'd exercise caution if you have any future plans that might involve moving again in the near future.

Master
    ...If it's been for sale for a long time in what was a hot market last Autumn, I'd exercise caution if you have any future plans that might involve moving again in the near future.
    From the history it looks as if the sellers were the ones who overpaid (possibly by some margin) back in 2012....

The house itself is certainly in a nice part of the world and looks fine from the pictures. Sounds like you’ve made your mind up to progress OP - fair play, and good luck!

You're right in that the extensions could have been thought through and designed a bit better. :) The windows are double-glazed timber though, not UPVC.

My feeling is that this property did not sell because of its 'looks' (and the two small gardens). Penn is a traditional conservation area where most mansions/ houses are 'Period' properties. This property is very quirky and some might even call it ugly. ;) My wife liked it immediately though and the looks have grown on me since... The houses closest to the one I'm buying are substantial 5/6 bed Period properties worth £2.5m currently.

Sorry, perhaps I'd misunderstood, as I thought you had also started a thread on PH about it some time ago. If you decided to go for it in the interim then fair enough.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to it that will see you add any value. The windows and garage door look quite recent, as does the cladding. One of the nicer aspects for me is the brickwork, so I'd be loathe to render that in order to keep the cladding in place. It comes back to the brickwork and wood not really gelling together, particularly on something that has ended up rather top heavy. I'm pretty certain a sympathetic approach could have been taken to those extensions with a decent architect on board, otherwise they wouldn't have ended up with those two dormers and the overhang above the front door that makes the porch offset.

If you really wanted to go to town I would actually be looking to replace the uPVC windows for something more contemporary looking. Perhaps then, if you rendered the brickwork, you could marry the wood, render colour and windows (+ garage door) together. Anthracite windows might look nice, but how much change you will get out of tens of thousands for render, windows and a replacement garage door I don't know. You'll also have the ongoing ball ache of re-rendering every couple of years depending on how much you can tolerate discolouration from sun, drips from gutters etc. etc.

If it's been for sale for a long time in what was a hot market last Autumn, I'd exercise caution if you have any future plans that might involve moving again in the near future.

Agreed. The Seller paid £750k back in 2012. I'm paying slightly below the current asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    From the history it looks as if the sellers were the ones who overpaid (possibly by some margin) back in 2012....

The house itself is certainly in a nice part of the world and looks fine from the pictures. Sounds like you’ve made your mind up to progress OP - fair play, and good luck!