Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
It seems that cartier is often overlooked because they supply well made luxury items in many fields. And this is the achilles heel of many brands like Mont Blanc, Hermes, Bvlgari etc. Despite making significant efforts to improve and refine their watches, they seems to fall into a lesser category. For me the SoloTank XL is a preety good buy, you get the enjoyment of the Cartier boutique experience, and an in house watch with a steel bracelet option, a timeless classic design and the cachet of cartoer all for the price of an entry level breitling. Added to this, their servicing is still quite good value and an 8 year warranty on some models, it's a pretty good proposition if you are not worried about judgement from the likes of Archie Luxury!!!

That’s a very good point, although I’m not sure it’s an Achilles heel to anyone but WIS. I’m sure handbags and advisories etc. increase Cartier brand recognition and profits, far beyond some watch snobs being turned off them as a serious proposition. MontBlanc may have another issue in that they appear to be trying to penetrate the serious watch market, after being seen as a pen and accessories brand by most.