closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartier fans?

Master

Cartier fans?

Any fans of Cartier out there? They have a long history in watches and iconic designs, however it seems they are often overlooked by the WIS community. I understand the movements are not the best and designs are less masculine, and less tool like but still, I feel the make a nice change to the usual. I decided to get my first one today, in keeping with a goal I have to try out different brands/designs. This one is due in from watchfinder, some internet pics, I intend to put it on various leather straps and wear it as a daily in the office (whenever that is!)

The Tank Cintree is one of my grail watches... (think I one of my first posts on TZ was about that)

They just released a 100th anniversary version, limited to 150 worldwide, and pretty much all gone before it’s reached any store apparently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Cariter tank slimline xl in solid pink gold some 10 years ago and limited to i think around 500

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/b...fit=crop&w=700

its my dress watch and is so under stated

I would love a Tank Basculante.

I quite like some of the Santos models too.

Master
    I like the Pasha very much and used to have one. Have been tempted by a Roadster a few times.

Craftsman
    The Santos and Tank range are unmistakable. I’m waiting for lockdown conditions to ease so I can see which size Cartier Santos Dumont suits. Take a look at the dial....

Can’t help but notice that the person in the first picture is wearing theirs upside down...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    Can’t help but notice that the person in the first picture is wearing theirs upside down...
    Look again.

Craftsman
    I really like the roadster xl chrono. It was the first 'proper' watch I remember standing out in a local jewellers when I was younger. I've tried to buy one a couple of times but I'm yet to find one in really good condition.

I'm also a fan of the new cartier santos but I was surprised at how big it looks and wears on bracelet. looks great in pics though!

Journeyman
    Really coming around to the classic men’s pieces- as you say their designs are iconic and timeless. I have always appreciated their ladies range but in the last year two non-wis buddies have bought similar Tanks and having borrowed one I’m converted - completely different to the omegas etc that got me into watches. Image1611006521.770273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    The Tank Cintree is one of my grail watches... (think I one of my first posts on TZ was about that)

They just released a 100th anniversary version, limited to 150 worldwide, and pretty much all gone before it’s reached any store apparently...

You would like John Goldberg’s Cintree collection on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I really like the roadster xl chrono. It was the first 'proper' watch I remember standing out in a local jewellers when I was younger. I've tried to buy one a couple of times but I'm yet to find one in really good condition.

I'm also a fan of the new cartier santos but I was surprised at how big it looks and wears on bracelet. looks great in pics though!
    My father in law gave me his one (two-tone, so I only wear it on the sailcloth strap) as a present after I married his daughter. He said it was the first nice watch he ever bought, so it has a lot of meaning to me. I originally hated the design, although it has grown on me over time. My main gripe is the crown (I know that's a defining feature of the watch), because it really digs into my wrist! It's not really me either; I do appreciate the finishing on the dial though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Look again.
    Right you are.

Cartier are up there with the best of them in every way. Not only horologically, but also in terms of prestige and history. In our "branded" culture, Cartier is a good brand to have.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    I love some of their classic pieces, very elegant designs. Bought a matching Cartier Ronde Solo set for my parents on their anniversary many years ago.

Master

Here it is, I surprisingly like the bracelet, but will try on some straps later also. Very happy with it, something completely different to what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Here it is, I surprisingly like the bracelet, but will try on some straps later also. Very happy with it, something completely different to what I have.
    That’s the perpetual calendar chronograph quartz movement, isn’t it? I read it took 5 years to develop in partnership with Piaget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    That’s the perpetual calendar chronograph quartz movement, isn’t it? I read it took 5 years to develop in partnership with Piaget.
    Yes you are right Piaget 212 movement so a good quality quartz. Might need to take it back to Watchfinder to adjust the perpetual calendar though, when lockdown over. The date is out by 1 day, no biggie.

Really nice that. Nice to see something different!

Craftsman
    Im a fan. I love the look of the Cartier De Santos Medium, is definitely one that I would like to pick up in the near future!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love them. Have had a persistent interest in the Basculante ever since I saw Tonys years ago and also the ADLC Santos 100 here - https://monochrome-watches.com/hands...s-specs-price/

congrats! looks great

Craftsman
    I posted it a couple of times, but the black Santos models they released last year with the interchangable straps look amazing, I'd love to have a look at them in the metal if the world ever goes back to normal.

the good thing about Cartier is that a lot of them are unisex, so you can buy it for the Mrs as a present and then wear it yourself...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    the good thing about Cartier is that a lot of them are unisex, so you can buy it for the Mrs as a present and then wear it yourself...
    Or the other way round.
    By giving the watch to your OH, I find less resistance to splurging for a big ticket item.
    Rolex RG Yachtmster 40 is now on my shortlist 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post

I had a SS roadster chrono, long since traded against my polar EXP2. Very versatile watch as came with 2 straps and bracelet and I liked it a lot.
    Momentum to change it came from the clasp never feeling secure when fastened, and tha fact that I once almost lost the watch when skiing. The QR mech had opened on one side of the case, only a tight jacket cuff saved the day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes you are right Piaget 212 movement so a good quality quartz. Might need to take it back to Watchfinder to adjust the perpetual calendar though, when lockdown over. The date is out by 1 day, no biggie.
    I have the same model and the date setting is a mission. A kind member here sent me the info on how to set it and I lost the will to live when wading through it.
    On the bright side, as my eyesight fails it is impossible to read the date so it hardly matters.
    But it is a lovely watch. Good choice.
    Gratuitous pic of mine.

Master
    Nice addition, OP, and definitely a WIS watch, albeit quartz .

Found myself looking at the medium Santos recently which somewhat surprised me in that it's not a watch I've previously considered. It only came about as I was researching good quality bracelets with micro-adjustment, which the Santos doesn't have, but the bracelet looks like a top quality piece and the easy strap changing might be useful (assuming it doesn't self activate as referred to above).

The ALDC 100 linked above like great too but I find black coated watches less versatile. All irrelevant in theory as I'm after the micro-adjustment but we all know how searches don't always end up where you initially thought they would.

Master

Cartier fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I have the same model and the date setting is a mission. A kind member here sent me the info on how to set it and I lost the will to live when wading through it.
    On the bright side, as my eyesight fails it is impossible to read the date so it hardly matters.
    But it is a lovely watch. Good choice.
    Gratuitous pic of mine.

There is a good video on YouTube on how to set this, seems easy enough though a bit slow to get the date right, but given its a perpetual calendar quartz but without any indicators on the year or month, I have no idea what month year it’s set at, so I will wait until 30/31 and see what happens.

Though to be honest I’m not too fussed about the date. Might give Watchfinder some work to do though to get it right, as I have a 2 year warranty with them.

Journeyman
    I've been lusting over a Santos for quite a while now. I really love the unmistakable aesthetic of Cartier watches and they're just pure class.

Good thread, nice pictures. Only makes me want even more now! Let's see what happens when we're allowed out of our houses!
    Last edited by sugarytea; 19th January 2021 at 16:14.

Master
    I had a few of these - both the original with a non-ADLC bezel and this one:

(taken from: https://monochrome-watches.com/hands...s-specs-price/)

I'm quite taken with this new one too:

(taken from: https://monochrome-watches.com/2020-...k-specs-price/)

simon

Master
    Got a Roadster XL and a Ballon Bleu on my want list.
    Love a Cartier thanks for sharing

I have the same model, it's a very attractive and recognisable design which is what the brand excels at in my opinion.

To fit a strap, you just need to unscrew the screw that is in the middle of the underside of the endlinks. This is a screw with a bullet shaped end, that separates a pair of rigid lug pins. Usually if you see one of these watches with sloppy endlink fit, it's because of a bent lug pin.

From experience, this watch wears very small on a leather strap, it will look more like a ladies watch. The bracelet is an integral part of the design.

Sometiing that's worth appreciating on these is the dial printing, the numerals are nice and thick and I suspect that they were printed multiple times to achieve the relief. I've seem dial printing errors on newer entry level Cartier, whereas the dials on these older models are better quality.
    Last edited by AKM; 22nd January 2021 at 14:36.

Master
    There's a MASSIVE Cartier marketing push at the moment. Anyone else noticed the surge on Instagram and the usual watch sites/writers? And reflected in dealers pushing carier, prices rising, and so on and so forth.

Craftsman
    I am a fan of Cartier - the tank is a lovely watch, but they always seem to be too large or too small for me. The only tank style that I found fit my wrist was a JLC at an airport many years ago. Wish I'd bought it. Oh well.

The Roadster is another watch I have come very close to buying, but for some reason haven't. I think it was never in the right iteration that I like. I think they've stopped making them now?

Master

Cartier fans?

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I have the same model, it's a very attractive and recognisable design which is what the brand excels at in my opinion.

To fit a strap, you just need to unscrew the screw that is in the middle of the underside of the endlinks. This is a screw with a bullet shaped end, that separates a pair of rigid lug pins. Usually if you see one of these watches with sloppy endlink fit, it's because of a bent lug pin.

From experience, this watch wears very small on a leather strap, it will look more like a ladies watch. The bracelet is an integral part of the design.

Sometiing that's worth appreciating on these is the dial printing, the numerals are nice and thick and I suspect that they were printed multiple times to achieve the relief. I've seem dial printing errors on newer entry level Cartier, whereas the dials on these older models are better quality.
    Yes you are right on the dial printing, they have applied it fairly thick and glossy such that it’s not just flat against the dial, hard to pick up in a picture.

On the bracelet, I ordered a couple of straps even before the watch arrived (and third alligator incoming), but as you say the bracelet is further set by the additional centre screw, unfortunately I don’t have a screwdriver small enough, so will just wait until lockdown is over and head over to watchfinder! I think a 20mm lug width strap with minimal taper (to 18mm at buckle) should give it sufficient wrist presence. I do like the bracelet though and good for weekend, but I want to make it less shiny as intended for the office.

As you and others say, the big appeal of Cartier is the design language, instantly recognisable and classic, and lots of history.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    There's a MASSIVE Cartier marketing push at the moment. Anyone else noticed the surge on Instagram and the usual watch sites/writers? And reflected in dealers pushing carier, prices rising, and so on and so forth.
    Yep, I've noticed this too but will the hype-beasts bite?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Yep, I've noticed this too but will the hype-beasts bite?
    I doubt it would reach hype levels at all, more so that people are appreciating these classic designs again, makes a nice detox to the usual steel sport watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never bought a watch from Cartier but for jewellery they are superb to deal with.

so what sort of discounts can you get because I'm liking what I'm seeing on this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    so what sort of discounts can you get because I'm liking what I'm seeing on this thread...
    Are you drunk?

It may have been missed by all on the other side of the world but Australia Posts ex CEO was certainly a fan.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...signs/12839502

I certainly wouldn't say no to a tank as a bonus for a job well done
    Last edited by Dean Learner; 23rd January 2021 at 01:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I rarely see Cartier watches on discounts at the usual big ADs and especially for the more popular model like the Santos blue dial. Though for most models I think you can get 15-20% off from greys dealers on chrono24.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Are you drunk?
    Some days I get worrying close to sober.

Journeyman
    Not so much a Cartier fan but always liked the story behind the Santos. I just couldn't find one to fill a gap. I tried to scratch the itch, vicariously, through the wife but that didn't completely work. The recent blue dial just about gave me the excuse and there are several things that I really like.

Life and watches. More than I need less than I want.

Love all the Santos range but what would do it for me is a blue dialed chronograph.
    Hopefully one day they release one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

While I like a number of their models. Some I would prefer with the flatter saphire styled crown rather than the high pointed one as I feel that's more feminine in looks rather than masculine

I like rectangular Cintree and Americaine models, but they should have done them without sweep hands or dates. Truer to the original design

Santos is nice. Could even overlook the screws facing different ways (should have done an AP design for the screws)

DON

I like Cartier, but in the same vein as Tag for me, generally I really like their XL Santos, and their Monaco (specifically Heuer branded) chronos, respectively. Most of the remainder of their ranges leave me quite cold or neutral.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Cartier never really appealed until now. The medium sized Santos would certainly be up there for a dress watch.
    Really like the rose gold & particularly ADLC black coated versions of the 100 though there aren't any UK based ones on Chrono24 at the moment.

Cartier has a good loyal following as a luxury brand and has some lovely watches at a reasonable price point (compared to many other companies). Given their watch heritage they are still making classical styles. I have a pair of Santos sunglasses with wooden arms and the finish and detail is way beyond anything else I have seen. It seems that cartier is often overlooked because they supply well made luxury items in many fields. And this is the achilles heel of many brands like Mont Blanc, Hermes, Bvlgari etc. Despite making significant efforts to improve and refine their watches, they seems to fall into a lesser category. For me the SoloTank XL is a preety good buy, you get the enjoyment of the Cartier boutique experience, and an in house watch with a steel bracelet option, a timeless classic design and the cachet of cartoer all for the price of an entry level breitling. Added to this, their servicing is still quite good value and an 8 year warranty on some models, it's a pretty good proposition if you are not worried about judgement from the likes of Archie Luxury!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post

That is indeed a thing of beauty, and would never leave my wrist.