Hello Gents,

As an overweight, desk-bound 51 year old with an arthritic hip I need to lose weight and get some exercise.

I'm losing weight simply by cutting out alcohol and eating a 'healthy diet', and as advised by my physio/masseur/PT I've started a very basic strength-building kettlebell routine along with a daily stretching regime.

I've also just started riding a bicycle again, (a Pashley Parabike, thanks again Jeremy!) and while I certainly don't intend riding across any mountains I believe the non-impact exercise will help with not only my general fitness but particularly with my hip and glutes too.

So I'll be predominantly cycling along local bridleways and what have you, and I hope to gradually build up the duration as well as my general fitness, so my question Gents, is simply "any tips?"

I'll be cycling alone and I'm also deaf, although I use a cochlear implant which I can still wear under my helmet so safety is a bit of an issue, and that's also partly the reason I won't be riding on any main roads until I've gained more confidence and experience; so I'll ensure that I have some kind of 'find me' app on my phone.

Other than that does anyone recommend or advise anything please?

Any particular tools I should carry or routines/distances to follow/aim for, or any particularly useful apps?

Thanks in advance for your advice Gents....