closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone opened up an Apple iMac?

Anyone opened up an Apple iMac?

Sounds like the bearings on my fan are on the way out as it sometimes sounds like I have a mini generator in the back of my 27" iMac, lol!

I've looked online and, once the screen's removed, it looks like a relatively simply procedure to replace the fan. It's just removing the screen I'm a bit apprehensive about.

It's had a SSD upgrade with the previous owner so the screen has been removed before, if that makes any difference. Oh and the iMac dates from late 2012.

Just wondered if anyone had removed their screen for any reason and how difficult was it?

Cheers,
    Gary

Fiterlab - Rob- Is your man on here to ask.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yeh I replaced my drive with a SSD.

Its pretty easy to do, but there a couple of cables that restrict opening that have to be disconnected, which in my experience are more fiddly to get back in than they are to remove

Dont touch the screen once the outer glass is removed as getting finger prints off can be a nightmare, so wear some gloves

I did get one of those screen opening / sucker kits, not totally necessary but worth it

Thanks Jason, I'll PM him if he doesn't see this thread.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thanks Hawkit.

There's already a few finger prints on the inside of my screen at the bottom left and right, presumably from when the it was upgraded with an SSD. They don't really bother me tbh and they're not really that noticeably in most circumstances.

Out of interest did you use one of roller/cutter tools to free up the screen and was getting it back in position difficult? Oh and did you use anything to remove the double sided tape residue before sticking the screen back in place?

Cheers,
    Gary

Be careful... Some Macs have zero protection or shielding over the power supply components which can cause serious issues if you're hoking about in there.

https://youtu.be/EdwDvz47lNw

I'd be inclined to give the fan a blow of compressed air through the vents first to see if that has any effect. (This certainly works on my MBP's and has also done on desktop machines in the past).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Depending on your spannering ability

It is relatively easy, I’ve had mine to bits a couple of times fitting an SSD and repairing the graphics card. There are videos on YouTube that break it down but the cables are a bit tight on a couple of the, so take care if you decide to do it.

Check out ifixit.com for your specific model. For popular products (basically everything Apple, then) they have extensive pictorial disassemblies/teardowns and sometimes videos to accompany them, too.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated as always

I've dropped Rob a line so will see what he comes back with before ordering parts.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Thanks Hawkit.

There's already a few finger prints on the inside of my screen at the bottom left and right, presumably from when the it was upgraded with an SSD. They don't really bother me tbh and they're not really that noticeably in most circumstances.

Out of interest did you use one of roller/cutter tools to free up the screen and was getting it back in position difficult? Oh and did you use anything to remove the double sided tape residue before sticking the screen back in place?

Cheers,
    Gary
    No I didnt use a roller/cutter, the "tape" holding the screen in place was easy to peel back, and no it all fitted back ok, it was just getting the cables connected back was the most difficult whilst supporting the screen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkit View Post
    Yeh I replaced my drive with a SSD.

Its pretty easy to do, but there a couple of cables that restrict opening that have to be disconnected, which in my experience are more fiddly to get back in than they are to remove

Dont touch the screen once the outer glass is removed as getting finger prints off can be a nightmare, so wear some gloves

I did get one of those screen opening / sucker kits, not totally necessary but worth it
    I did exactly this to mine, and was surprising easy, bought the kit from OWC.