closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 214270 re-sale price?

Master

Rolex Explorer 214270 re-sale price?

I’m thinking of selling my Rolex Explorer 214270.

Looking on eBay, Chrono24, Watchfinder and the Rolex forum, I’m surprised by the pricing, and any comparable ones are listed at £6,000 plus.

Mine was bought new from an AD in 2018, and has been worn once. I would describe it as almost mint, other than a small mark on the clasp. It may be able to wipe out, but I didn’t want to mess with it, and possibly make it worse.

I want to maximise what I can get, particularly as being in the hospitality night time sector I haven’t worked since March of 2020 (though being self employed I’ve been grateful to have a couple of small SEISS payments).

So I’m looking for some advice on a realistic sale price?

I would also note, I’ve done the ‘spirit of the forum’ re-sell thing previously, and in hindsight, regretted it.

A number of years back Ryan was good enough to pick me up a Rolex Submariner at an airport for about £4,300, when it was £5,000 at an AD. He didn’t know me, just posted on Watch Talk there was one at the airport at a discount, anyone want it? Fantastically thoughtful, and a kind gesture by him.

I sold it on here about a year or so later in the same ‘spirit of the forum’, for about the £4,300 it owed me (it was mint).

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies, and it would be appreciated if the usual Rolex Wolfpack, could cut me some slack.

Cheers

Rolex Explorer 214270 re-sale price?

If you can, hold onto it for a month or so, see if there is a price rise or not.

Other than that I would put it on SC for £5.5k. I would always go for a smooth deal, rather than risking it on Chrono or EBay. There are also some WTBs.

Alternatively try watch finder, however I doubt you will get over list there.

All the best.
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 18th January 2021 at 06:53.

You should be able to secure back rrp for it

Master
    Look at eBay for what they sold is quite a good gauge for current market prices

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Definitely second eBay sold prices for a true gauge of the mid-lower market price, meaning you can get more but you have to find the right buyer and that can take time. I'd also favour selling here for a bit less but to a reputable member or in person as anything else carries too high a risk for me.

If you'd been local to me I'd have been interested as I've tried the 14270 but not the newer model. I suspect there'll be a WTB who's close to you or you'll get a PM based on your post.

Journeyman
    I sold mine (2019 model) into the trade a few weeks ago for £5,550 which was completely hassle free. A few other dealers offered slightly more but I went with a local dealer.

Master
    One of my favourites of the current models, plenty of buyers on Tz I imagine if you were to offer it up here. Good luck!

Personally I would not even think of selling a Rolex or similar on eBay. Huge potential pitfalls await with the 'open' market. SC every time.

Master
    Stick it on Chronext or Watchfinder website for a free valuation, that should give you an idea at least.

SC obviously for a better price on private sale If you’re comfortable with a f2f deal or if someone’s happy for you to post.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Last edited by gaurav_tzuk; 18th January 2021 at 16:27.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Stick it on Chronext or Watchfinder website for a free valuation, that should give you an idea at least.

SC obviously for a better price on private sale If you’re comfortable with a f2f deal or if someone’s happy for you to post.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Worth trying Milton Diamonds and Blowers as well.
    Last edited by roxylady; 18th January 2021 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    I sold mine (2019 model) into the trade a few weeks ago for £5,550 which was completely hassle free. A few other dealers offered slightly more but I went with a local dealer.
    Was that a gen or a fake?

If you're looking to maximise your return, I'd hold it a bit longer. Significant price increases about to hit. Not to mention potential changes to the Explorer line this year, which could be good or bad news depending on whether they botch it.

Master
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply, much appreciated.

Checking eBay completed listening’s, sales have generally been £5,900, and up.

I note above someone received £5,600 from a dealer, and was in fact offered more by another dealer, further afield.

Given there’s talk of an increase, I’ll possibly hold on for a while as this may increase the second hand value further.

I have received PM’s from a number of people expressing interest, including part exchanges and buying at current retail, neither of which I would be interested in.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    Given there’s talk of an increase
    When is there not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    Worth trying Milton Diamonds and Blowers as well.
    Haven’t you been here before? Banned and then reinvented yourself?

Master
    £5550 from a dealer looks a good price, given the majority of recently completed eBay sales have been below that and some of those showing above may well have accepted best offers below the asking.

Master

I note above someone received £5,600 from a dealer, and was in fact offered more by another dealer, further afield.

Given there’s talk of an increase, I’ll possibly hold on for a while as this may increase the second hand value further.

I have received PM’s from a number of people expressing interest, including part exchanges and buying at current retail, neither of which I would be interested in.

Cheers.
    Completed listing on eBay are for around 5600 on average. The last 6 sold in the uk - 5200, 5950, 5495, 5211, 5900, 5900.

Around mid 5 is your sale point.

I’d be keen to see who offered the other posted 5500 in the trade. I can’t see anyone offering near that.

Do be aware that some dealers will offer a very good price in order to get you in the door, only to haggle that price down. As you've invested time and money to get to them, you're likely to sell it to them anyway. It's a bit of a trick but one to be aware of.

SC on here gets my vote.

I thought that was a dealer of some kind
    ? Raffle will know
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Don't be swayed by the "spirit of the forum" nonsense, there is nothing more thinly veiled and self-serving.

Your average eBay punter is willing to pay from £5.5k to nearly £6K, dealers are willing to offer similar, but the TZ-UK crowd kindly offer retail on a model they can't find, or part-ex deals you have not expressed any desire for?

And this is after you mentioned the Service industry, and motivations for selling given everything going on in the world right now. You'd be a fool to leave money on the table, but you know that anyway. What 'good spirit' the vultures on here have shown you, hoping you'll bite.

A couple years back I had an IMMACUALTE Aqua Terra Skyfall (not the awful Limited Edition) I decided to move on. Never the easiest model to get and quite popular, I did advertise on here for about £2.4k and had more than one person, some with WTB posts for this exact model, tell me they "would only pay" £1.8k-£1.9k. You couldn't find any example for that money, not even a poor example.
    "Well go find one for that money" was my response!

Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain as much as anyone, but wasn't prepared to sell to people who wanted champagne at lemonade prices. One of whom said, "it should be offered on here, in the spirit of the forum, so others could have a chance to wear it. I'd pay £1,800 to give ity a try."
    Erm, no. I'm not going to lose my shirt to indulge flippers or dreamers.

A couple months later I sold it privately elsewhere for £2.7k. Some days I miss that watch, but I tell you I'd miss it a whole lot more if I had been fool enough to let myself be low-balled on here.

As others have said, wait five minutes to see if the price rise materialises and sell at some point after that. If the watch really is in as good conditon as you say, hold out for the right buyer, you won't be short of interest and can entice more discerning buyers if you sell the details the right way and have the photos to back it up.
    If I was in the market I'd rather give you the money than the Watchfinders of this world who will have polished something like this to within an inch of its life.

Good luck with the sale.
    Last edited by Dent99; 19th January 2021 at 12:04.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Dent above.
    5.5+ is where to place it.

Personally I'd leave it for a while and see what comes of the eternal price rise rumours, and then place it as a sale or return to a dealer.
    SOR = you give them a fixed price you want to achieve, they add on their mark-up and place the watch on their site.
    Dealer buy-in usually gives you less as they're gambling on taking the watch into physical stock and waiting for it to sell so they'll offer lower as tying up capital.
    Best to approach one within striking distance if you go SOR as they'll need to call the watch in ASAP if sold through site.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I thought that was a dealer of some kind
    ? Raffle will know

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes indeed. He was banned as Kier333 for being a dealer and he also was identified dabbling in fake watches.

Here is the link between roxylady and Kier333.

Here is Kier333 on TZ talking about his incoming PAM 390 (12 September 2014).

And here is his complaint on RWI that his like-new fake PAM 390 has scratches (17 September 2014).

+1 Dent

TZ is a fantastic place and there are some genuinely great buyers and sellers but there are some who would offer you less than a WF buy price and think you should do the deal because it's TZ.

Master
    SOR is a way forward as long as you get to keep physical hold of the watch.
    I wouldn’t be doing that in the current climate . Too many guys been burnt with cars on SOR that were at the dealer.
    Personally I wouldn’t pay over RRP for an explorer but obviously people do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    SOR is a way forward as long as you get to keep physical hold of the watch.
    I wouldn’t be doing that in the current climate . Too many guys been burnt with cars on SOR that were at the dealer.
    Personally I wouldn’t pay over RRP for an explorer but obviously people do.

If you set yourself a target of paying below RRP then you are going to make life more difficult for yourself. You really have to forget all about RRP for most models unless you are prepared to go on the list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you set yourself a target of paying below RRP then you are going to make life more difficult for yourself. You really have to forget all about RRP for most models unless you are prepared to go on the list.
    If you read that again Mick I said I wouldn't pay above RRP on an Explorer

Master
    There's one on eBay with Chrono-watch at £5450 or best offer. Comes with box and freshly serviced by their in-house watchmaker so they provide the warranty (going on their website shortly as new stock).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Exp....m46890.l49292

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    There's one on eBay with Chrono-watch at £5450 or best offer. Comes with box and freshly serviced by their in-house watchmaker so they provide the warranty (going on their website shortly as new stock).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Exp....m46890.l49292
    Mine’s the newer Explorer, that’s the older model, and it’s from 2011.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Yes indeed. He was banned as Kier333 for being a dealer and he also was identified dabbling in fake watches.

Here is the link between roxylady and Kier333.

Here is Kier333 on TZ talking about his incoming PAM 390 (12 September 2014).

And here is his complaint on RWI that his like-new fake PAM 390 has scratches (17 September 2014).
    This thread was a simple enquiry to others, on the current value of a second hand Explorer.

I specifically asked could the usual Rolex Wolfpack give it a miss, of which you are unquestionably in my opinion, the worst.

I don’t check out Sales Corner as often as I used to, because I was fed up of seeing you jump all over sales posts causing bickering and fighting.

Again, you come on this thread with nothing positive to contribute, just taking an opportunity to attack another member you appear to have an issue with, by digging out posts from 2014!

There’s enough crap going on in the world at the moment, without having to endure your character assassinations of other’s, on a thread where it’s not welcome.

Please, NEVER post on another thread of mine.

This thread was a simple enquiry to others, on the current value of a second hand Explorer.

I specifically asked could the usual Rolex Wolfpack give it a miss, of which you are unquestionably in my opinion, the worst.

I don’t check out Sales Corner as often as I used to, because I was fed up of seeing you jump all over sales posts causing bickering and fighting.

Again, you come on this thread with nothing positive to contribute, just taking an opportunity to attack another member you appear to have an issue with, by digging out posts from 2014!

There’s enough crap going on in the world at the moment, without having to endure your character assassinations of other’s, on a thread where it’s not welcome.

Please, NEVER post on another thread of mine.
    Your thread?

LOLZ.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Don't be swayed by the "spirit of the forum" nonsense, there is nothing more thinly veiled and self-serving.

Your average eBay punter is willing to pay from £5.5k to nearly £6K, dealers are willing to offer similar, but the TZ-UK crowd kindly offer retail on a model they can't find, or part-ex deals you have not expressed any desire for?

And this is after you mentioned the Service industry, and motivations for selling given everything going on in the world right now. You'd be a fool to leave money on the table, but you know that anyway. What 'good spirit' the vultures on here have shown you, hoping you'll bite.

A couple years back I had an IMMACUALTE Aqua Terra Skyfall (not the awful Limited Edition) I decided to move on. Never the easiest model to get and quite popular, I did advertise on here for about £2.4k and had more than one person, some with WTB posts for this exact model, tell me they "would only pay" £1.8k-£1.9k. You couldn't find any example for that money, not even a poor example.
    "Well go find one for that money" was my response!

Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain as much as anyone, but wasn't prepared to sell to people who wanted champagne at lemonade prices. One of whom said, "it should be offered on here, in the spirit of the forum, so others could have a chance to wear it. I'd pay £1,800 to give ity a try."
    Erm, no. I'm not going to lose my shirt to indulge flippers or dreamers.

A couple months later I sold it privately elsewhere for £2.7k. Some days I miss that watch, but I tell you I'd miss it a whole lot more if I had been fool enough to let myself be low-balled on here.

As others have said, wait five minutes to see if the price rise materialises and sell at some point after that. If the watch really is in as good conditon as you say, hold out for the right buyer, you won't be short of interest and can entice more discerning buyers if you sell the details the right way and have the photos to back it up.
    If I was in the market I'd rather give you the money than the Watchfinders of this world who will have polished something like this to within an inch of its life.

Good luck with the sale.
    The spirit of the forum price for my DJ36 was 3.6k I was told in no uncertain terms, yet the watch finder offer was 5k. Had an unsolicited spirit of the forum offer for my immaculate 116622 also 1k less than WF offer. I’d wait for the price rise and sell to a dealer if I were you.

NB: I’d paid 5.3 and 8.9k respectively for them, there’s no way I’m going to take a bath on selling a Rolex at the moment.

It’s a shame really, but there does feel to be a number of profiteers hoovering up stuff. Pandemic has brought out the watch dealer in many people.
    Last edited by NickGaters; 20th January 2021 at 08:25.

Master
    “Again, you come on this thread with nothing positive to contribute, just taking an opportunity to attack another member you appear to have an issue with, by digging out posts from 2014!

Please, NEVER post on another thread of mine.”

Anthony, that’s unfair. Nobody has derailed your thread. You sought advice and you received good advice, which is what this community should be about. Roxylady is a wrong ‘un who was originally banned from this place for being a wrong ‘un. Personally, I appreciate the efforts of Raffe and others to identify the small numbers of members here who have reinvented themselves after their previous behaviour resulted in bans. As this wasn’t a for sale thread I think your reaction was somewhat excessive.

Master
    It might be worth noting that the rolex price increase was a joke rumour started on here which made the jump onto other forums too.
    A price rise is as likely in 12 months as it is next month.

It might be worth noting that the rolex price increase was a joke rumour started on here which made the jump onto other forums too.
    Yes, but if you say it every month at some stage you’ll be correct and appear to be a Rolex Oracle.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, but if you say it every month at some stage you’ll be correct and appear to be a Rolex Oracle.
    There's the magic trick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    HaHa- I just draw the line when it's being used to inflate the price of already inflated watches.

Master
    All true. The funny thing is the more I read it on here the more I start believing it is true. It is all just so convincing...

Craftsman
    My horrendous sales experience with chronext when I tried to sell my explorer is on this forum somehwere. I would stay well clear of them. Think I got 4k for mine but that was about 1 or 2 years ago

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk