closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rowing machines?

SydR

Rowing machines?

Mrs Syd is looking at buying a rowing machine. She really likes the look of the Concept 2 but is wary of spending that much in case it is a passing fad.

Currently looking at the JTX Freedom Air or the JLL R200 ( both different price points).

Any opinions on the above or suggestions of others to look at?

Thanks.

Craftsman
    I think with rowing machines you get what you pay for. I bought a York rower and although it may have been my superhuman strength it broke quite quickly and was not fixable. I then forked out and bought a Bodymax InfinitiR100. I'd never heard of Bodymax before but after reading a lot of reviews got it and have been happy with it since. Nothing has gone wrong and it feels almost gym quality. Basically it weighs a ton.
    I doubt you can get it anymore but it probably has an equivalent predecessor.

Grand Master
    Buy a Concept 2, nothing better and you will lose next to nothing should you ever sell it on
    RIAC

SydR
    Problem is the C2 is out of stock new and, despite a lot pre-owned units being up for sale, there are now any where near me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Problem is the C2 is out of stock new and, despite a lot pre-owned units being up for sale, there are now any where near me.

Get on the waiting list, they are £799, and sell for a grand so you cant lose (Whilst Covids in town)
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Concept 2 is very much the sector standard when it comes to rowers and they are fantastic bits of kit. However lockdown has meant they are very in demand and even used rowers command a premium.

Personally I'd buy any used air rower off facebook marketplace or similar and see if it gets continued use and then I'd look at investing in a concept 2 once you know it will get used.

Master
    I researched rowers at length c18mths ago and concluded it was hard to beat a Concept so ended up choosing the Dynamic, with PM5, as it provided a more on the water experience and was said to be easier on the back. We currently use it every couple of days for 20-30mins at a time and it feels very solidly built, with spares available from Concept directly. I was surprised to see how prices had nearly doubled since Covid which is a problem as if buying now I'd want to buy new.

I also suspect a cheaper model might put you off the rowing experience as it's not for everyone.

Master
    We have the JLL R200. Nothing really to compare it with, but it seems ok to me, right up to the point where the return coil spring broke after 15 months of light use.
    It is DIY repairable, but getting a coil from JLL is impossible as it never seems to be in stock.
    So I would avoid it personally.

Pete

SydR
    Thanks all.

From previous experience buying exercise kit it’s easy to get put off by inferior products.

She’s found someone who already has a JTX Freedom Air and may get a chance to try it out before buying and, still may yet hold out for a Concept 2.

I’ve been rowing for a good number of years. When it comes to decent equipment it’s either concept 2 or water rower.

I have the c2 bought it used with pm5 for about £300 which was a complete steal. As you mentioned they are going for silly money now if you can get one.

Built like tanks , not a lot to go wrong with them and you can easily get parts if they do. Plus they hold their value very well so worth the investment.

Ours is collected dust for a short period as the novelty of the Peloton bike hadn’t worn off yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i tried the Concept type ones at a Gym and i actually prefered the cheap Argos one i had at home.

if your going to spend that much on one have a go first, i just didnt like the feel of the rowing action on them myself.

I had a water rower and loved it, quality is first rate, and they look nice too. A very enjoyable work out.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    i tried the Concept type ones at a Gym and i actually prefered the cheap Argos one i had at home.

if your going to spend that much on one have a go first, i just didnt like the feel of the rowing action on them myself.
    The rowing action is surprisingly different between brands. When I had a water rower at home I couldn’t use the concept 2s in the gym, the action was so different, I needed a different technique on both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

The rowing action is surprisingly different between brands. When I had a water rower at home I couldn’t use the concept 2s in the gym, the action was so different, I needed a different technique on both.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I had a water rower and loved it, quality is first rate, and they look nice too. A very enjoyable work out.
    +1. I have had a water rower for the past 3 years. Still use it 3 or 4 times a week. Stores upright when not in use

We went down the water rower route - prefer the motion to Concept and the bonus is it stands up in the corner when not in use.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Yes on the water rower as well... lovejoy bit of kit

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Get on the waiting list, they are £799, and sell for a grand so you cant lose (Whilst Covids in town)
    That’s good to know...my Mrs has an 8 month old concept 2 folded up in the corner of the living room... covered in dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That’s good to know...my Mrs has an 8 month old concept 2 folded up in the corner of the living room... covered in dust.
    Stick it on SC and it will go in no time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Stick it on SC and it will go in no time.
    it’s not mine, and I’m to frightened to mention it’s lack of use..

It’s currently being used as a coat hanger, but apparently it’s non of my business, and if I mention it again.....something something..
    All your watches and motorbikes something something..

Last edited by Enoch; 19th January 2021 at 11:11.

We have a concept 2 and it’s an excellent bit of kit. It gets used a lot and hasn’t missed a beat. I’ve put a small shelf up to put an iPad on to watch tv, and the time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    We have the JLL R200. Nothing really to compare it with, but it seems ok to me, right up to the point where the return coil spring broke after 15 months of light use.
    It is DIY repairable, but getting a coil from JLL is impossible as it never seems to be in stock.
    So I would avoid it personally.

Pete
    We have the same, 6 months in and no problems yet.

Wife wanted it to be in the house and therefore it had to be quiet, which is the problems with C2s. They seem okay in the gym, but they're noisier than you realise!

It’s currently being used as a coat hanger
    Why is it in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I see on the website that they are now £860. I’ve joined the waiting list anyway.

Has anyone tried their BikeErg? Looks like providing most of the Watt bike and Peloton, at least for actual exercise, as a much more reasonable price.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Why is it in a cage?
    Because we have a blind dog and we don’t want him bumping into it and hurting himself.

It’s currently being used as a coat hanger, but apparently it’s non of my business, and if I mention it again.....something something..
    All your watches and motorbikes something something..

I think the use of the coat is an attempt to hide the contraption and assuage some of the guilt that the lack of use is creating. Have you tried giving some gentle encouragement to sell by holding out the carrot of a new iron from the proceeds?

SydR
    Something that came up in discussion last night is that the width of the foot boards vary between machines and Mrs Syd say the very narrow ones cause an old knee injury to play up.

I’ve heard that the Concept 2 sits at the narrower end. Can anyone confirm?

She had been hoping to see one soon but the news yesterday of lockdown being extended in Scotland to at least mid-February has put a stop to that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think the use of the coat is an attempt to hide the contraption and assuage some of the guilt that the lack of use is creating. Have you tried giving some gentle encouragement to sell by holding out the carrot of a new iron from the proceeds?
    An iron would just be another unused item, but with the advantage that it could be used as a weapon against me.... My best policy is the same as most blokes.....keep quiet.

Master
    Sorry to thread hijack but it seems easier that starting a new one.
    A few people on this thread have mentioned they have a water rower and the idea of one appeals to me particularly because I can just stand it up when not using it.
    The question is, what make to go for. I’ve had a quick look on Amazon and there are a number of different manufactures on there and I genuinely don’t know what’s good and what’s crap.

I thought that was an Optimate attached to the cage!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I thought that was an Optimate attached to the cage!
    It is... it’s used to charge electric fence batteries for the field where she keeps the horses..

It could equally be used on my testicles if I mention selling the rowing machine that never gets used..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Sorry to thread hijack but it seems easier that starting a new one.
    A few people on this thread have mentioned they have a water rower and the idea of one appeals to me particularly because I can just stand it up when not using it.
    The question is, what make to go for. I’ve had a quick look on Amazon and there are a number of different manufactures on there and I genuinely don’t know what’s good and what’s crap.
    This one is good: https://www.waterrower.co.uk/

It is... it’s used to charge electric fence batteries for the field where she keeps the horses..

It could equally be used on my testicles if I mention selling the rowing machine that never gets used..
    Sounds like your Friday night is sorted. Enjoy ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Cheers. I saw that make but wasn’t sure if they were the go to brand or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Cheers. I saw that make but wasn’t sure if they were the go to brand or not.
    I have one of those. Yes they are the go to brand. Its excellent. Looks great too. Bit basic on the app front so I bought the smart row extra. This might have improved with the com module for the S4 display.

Are the water unit model’s noisy when in use?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Are the water unit model’s noisy when in use?
    Not at all like the other towers, you hear swishing water and the odd roller noise from the seat. You can easily use it while others are asleep etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Not at all like the other towers, you hear swishing water and the odd roller noise from the seat. You can easily use it while others are asleep etc.

Nice one, just ordered one from Costco...
    Cheers...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Nice one, just ordered one from Costco...
    Cheers...
    I really like the small footprint of them & how quiet they were. Didn’t get me over the fact even watching tv I found rowing really wasn’t for me!

Best of luck with it.