closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness tracker to wear with a “real” watch

Master

Fitness tracker to wear with a “real” watch

I’ve been an Apple Watch convert for the last 3 or so years, and it’s integrated into my working & personal life so much, that my real watches mainly sit on a winder or in the safe.

However, a lot of the features on the Apple Watch for me are only used because they are there (ie instant notification of emails or texts), and ideally I’d like to separate these back to my phone so that things aren’t so intrusive. I’m aware that I can control which notifications occur on my phone, but I’d like to get back to wearing a mechanical watch again.

The real benefit of the Apple Watch for me is the fitness and exercise tracking. I like the challenges to move, stand and exercise, and I like the workout tracking. I’m also reassured by the heart rate and other health tracking that goes on in the background, plus the fall alerts etc.

I’m looking for advice on a suitable fitness tracker that I can wear on my right wrist, alongside a real watch on my left. There are plenty of options from Garmin, Fitbit, Polar etc but I’d like to ask if anyone here has a good solution that they use, and any practical experience they can share. As I mentioned before, I’m mainly looking for good health and fitness tracking, and would like something small and non-obtrusive (particularly as I don’t usually wear anything on my right wrist - I’m not a jewellery or accessory wearer usually). I tried wearing the Apple Watch on my right wrist, with a real watch on my left, but it just felt (and looked!) daft.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences with this.
    Last edited by tredders; 17th January 2021 at 10:29.

I got a HUAWEI Band 4 for Christmas.

It's pretty small and affordable, but seems to work well.

I don't like the smartwatch, they're all or nothing and I like wearing a traditional watch, but this is small enough to not be intrusive, while tracking steps, sleep and heart rate.

There's a Pro model with more features too, but the basic one does what I want.

Available on Amazon.

M

PS ETA - I've worn cheap step counters on my right wrist for a good few years now - My favourite was one with no screen (original MiFit) that simply linked to my phone, but sadly nothing that simple seems to be available any more. The battery lasted most of a month on a single charge with those (I killed two diving with them - The pressure seemed to do it, as both died in a drysuit, although I accidentally dived in one in a wetsuit and it was fine!).

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 17th January 2021 at 12:00.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Sorry I don’t have any experience of fitness trackers outside the Apple Watch, however you mention the Apple Watch looked daft on your right wrist. Did you know that you can turn the screen orientation around so that it can be worn on either arm? I don’t know if that would help you at all.

Master
    A friend of mine has a Withings watch as a compromise , he really likes it and unless you’re a watch geek like us you probably wouldn’t even notice it was a smart watch it looks more of a dress watch. I have to admit it looks very smart in comparison to my Apple Watch which like yourself I’ve struggled to get away from.

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/steel-hr

He has the black faced one so the screen blends in

I got a Fitbit Inspire 2 for Christmas which I wear on my right wrist exactly as you describe, with a watch on my left wrist. It’s very lightweight and subtle being black and slim so it doesn’t feel like you’re doing a Schwartzkopf ie. wearing two watches. The Fitbit could be my new beater watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've worn a Fitbit on my right wrist with a regular watch on my left wrist for a few years now (I think coming up to 5 years). Currently I've got a Charge 3 (had a Charge HR and a Charge 2 before that). The Charge 3 is definitely the lowest profile of them that I've had (the Charge 4 is physically identical I think) and I'm now very used to having it on my right wrist. I've always been pretty happy with Fitbit and the app, and they do some lower profile trackers that the Charge ones as well if you'd rather have something less obtrusive. The only thing I'll not based on my experience is that you'll have to replace the straps during the lifespan of the tracker, but you can get non-brand replacements on Amazon that look and work as well as the originals.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I've been through the very same recently. I have worn a Garmin watch for 3 years straight and recently got back in to 'proper' watches.

I'm really invested into the Garmin ecosystem where I have years of datapoints that I can reference from workouts and general health trends (heart rate data is really important!). I did not want to loose this so I opted for the smallest Garmin band they do, the Vivosmart 4: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/605739

This sit's on my right wrist and, most importantly, I've turned off all notifications and even the 'raise to wake' feature so the screen is always off. It just sits there counting my steps and reporting HR data. It's also quite comfortable to sleep with it on so I get all my sleep analysis.

Then, on the left, the real watch lives.

Another option that you might like to consider is the 'Whoop' band. I really like this, apart from the monthly cost model. It's exactly what I want, but I'm already in the Garmin world so loathed to change.
    https://www.whoop.com/

Garmin Vivosmart 4 or Fitbit Charge 4. Could look at the cheaper end like Honour and Xiaomi if you don't like the price of the first two.

Fitbit inspire HR another good option along the lines of the Garmins mentioned - I used one before switching to the Apple Watch.

I’m in a similar position OP. Have been wearing an Apple Watch for over a year, which means proper watches have had less wrist time. Problem is, I like all of the functionality of the AW, especially the fitness elements and therefore I’m struggling to convert back.

Be interested to hear what solution you settle on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Brilliant - exactly the kind of info I was looking for, so thanks to all who replied.

My health insurance through work is via Pru Health, so I have access to Vitality rewards, and included in there are discounts (up to 50%) on various Garmin, Polar, Fitbit & Withings trackers. I’ll take a look later (and also check out Whoop).

Will report back once I make a choice and may do a follow up post after a month to see if my choice actually does everything I want and ultimately replaces my trusty Apple Watch!
    Last edited by tredders; 17th January 2021 at 13:34.

Something like a whoop band maybe?

I'm sure there are other, cheaper options

I'd love something like a Whoop but I'd never pay a subscription.

I use a garmin vivosmart 4 which is very unobtrusive and like others have said very easy to sleep with.

It’s pretty battered now and starting to fall apart. The downside of these is you can’t change the strap so you are stuck. I’m hoping there is a vivosmart 5 release soon as it is due on their usual product timeline.

The whoop looks interesting but don’t like their subscription model and you should read dcrainmakers review. Basically the hrm on it is so inaccurate it makes all of the AI stuff they do useless as it’s based on duff readings.

I may go back to Fitbit is the vivosmart packs in.

In the same position as the OP

But I really only wear the
    Apple Watch while training or travelling (not much of that) was looking at the mi band and keep on right wrist

I had a Charge 3 Fitbit, but had to give it away. The accuracy of steps was absolutely shocking. The forum has many comments on the same, but they also like to delete most of any negative comment, and no changes have been made to the algorithms.

I really couldn’t recommend one.

Id be interested in something with the same form/size that could add a modicum of accuracy. It would be useful to have the functionality of the fitness tracking from the latest iPhone in a smaller band.
    It's just a matter of time...

For accuracy it's best looking at the comparisons by DC Rainmaker. He takes all the bands, watches and chest straps on various workouts both indoors and outside with multiple on him at a time and checks the data afterwards side by side.

I’ve been going through this for a long time. I use to wear a Garmin band on my right wrist and a proper watch on my left but felt a bit daft after a while...

I’ve now moved a Huawei GT2 smart watch that I wear a lot and I’m now considering a Tag Connected although the specs no better. I’m baffled why someone doesn’t create a band only with no display that Bluetooths to your phone..... that would be my preference rather than two watches or a display band / watch

No first hand experience of this, so not a 'recommendation' as such, but I always thought these Sony smart bracelets were a good idea.

Offers health and activity features, plus smart notifications and you can make payments. 50m WR and fits any watch with an 18mm, 20mm or 22mm lug width. They claim battery life is up to a week.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/w...etails_default

Banned
    I keep the wrists specifically for old school watches and do all the tracking on the phone. Could get one of those straps to put the phone on your bicep? Can't be any more daft looking than wearing 2 watches. Or I'm sure there is workout gear that has pockets that keep the phone close to the body and not shaking around in a loose pocket.

Journeyman
    This is me too sort of, I have a Garmin Fenix that I wear pretty much daily for fitness and for activities, it's also a pretty good travel watch. My wife is looking for a band and she has tried the Garmin band but she thinks that it's just too big for her tiny wrist. She could do with a horizontal format design.

Master
    I’d love a stripped-down Apple Watch fitness band, with just the tracking functionality in a simple unobtrusive form factor, and all the stats and settings etc on the phone. I wouldn’t even be bothered for a screen on the device since I’d view all of that on the phone.

Not sure if middle aged watch geeks who want to continue wearing a mechanical watch are really Apple’s priority market though 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    I’m baffled why someone doesn’t create a band only with no display that Bluetooths to your phone..... that would be my preference rather than two watches or a display band / watch
    Smart strap, or bracelet, that you could wear with almost any watch would be great. Although I’d be unlikely to remove an Oyster or Jubilee to put one on a Rolex, I’d likely use one with a number of watches that I wear on aftermarket leathers. How does the Sony work...?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    No first hand experience of this, so not a 'recommendation' as such, but I always thought these Sony smart bracelets were a good idea.

Offers health and activity features, plus smart notifications and you can make payments. 50m WR and fits any watch with an 18mm, 20mm or 22mm lug width. They claim battery life is up to a week.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/w...etails_default
    Great idea, but those are both ugly and expensive...

What you really want is something relatively attractive for £100 tops!

Me, I'd love something that was just an unobtrusive device on a silicone strap again for little money, as my old Mi Fits were, but no-one seems to sell something that simple anymore. The Huawei is a tolerable compromise for me.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th January 2021 at 17:51.

Craftsman
    I tried the oura & motiv fitness rings.

Got annoyed having to charge them, one of them hsveeb plugged into the USB port on my TV for about 13 months.

If apple came out with one that Paired with the iPhone that would be great for those who prefer having a proper watch on.

Master
    Garmin Viviosmart 4 for me as well, which has been on the right wrist for a while now. The added bonus with it is that it is gps connected, so can be used to track a run/bike ride. Another bonus is the Garmin Connect app.

Master
    I wear a Fitbit Charge 4 on my right wrist, and a “proper” watch on my left. The Fitbit is pretty unobtrusive...

Craftsman
    Xiaomi band 5 or the Huawei band 5 both at around £30 and do a very good job.
    I had the Huawei but changed to the Xiaomi as that's what phone I use.
    Both work well with either apple or android.
    I wear mine on the right wrist with a nice watch worn on my left and never even notice it there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I wear a Fitbit Charge 4 on my right wrist, and a “proper” watch on my left. The Fitbit is pretty unobtrusive...

That strap looks terrible on that Moser and you most likely look ridiculous wearing 2 watches. Sorry not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Me, I'd love something that was just an unobtrusive device on a silicone strap again for little money, as my old Mi Fits were, but no-one seems to sell something that simple anymore. The Huawei is a tolerable compromise for me.

M
    Looks okay to me, just a vanilla bracelet.

If I didn't always wear a Fenix I'd quite likely get one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post

GPS would be a must for me, so the Fitbit Charge 4 probably. I haven’t seen anything else in a cheaper band style fitness tracker that has the GPS, but I’m hoping for a flood of new releases to drive the prices down more.

Master
    I have a mechanical watch I wear on my left wrist and either a Garmin or Apple Watch on my right have down la for about 4 years now. Had no issues and works for what I need.

Craftsman
    Similar position to the OP. This might sound silly, but the last few times I've been into the office, I've worn my Zenith and left the Apple watch in my pocket. It still managed to pick up steps, movement and exercise (i.e. walking). Those are the most important things to me when I'm out/in the office.
    As someone else said, it probably just needs to be on on you.

When I'm working out, I just wear the Apple watch.

Doesnt meet all the OPs needs but may help someone.

I succumbed to an Apple Watch series 6 this year. Wanted the tracker stuff but now that I am over 50, the Heart rate and ECG are useful to have as well as the O2 sat levels in the times of the pandemic. I am sure I am not using it to it’s full potential but I get what I need.

I got the 40mm as I wanted it to be unobtrusive and I wear it on my right wrist. Felt strange at first but quickly got use to it.

I wear my normal watches on my left wrist and so far it has been a problem. People who have noticed have asked once and then that’s it so not really issue on look a bit weird!

However, I do feel a little silly if I am wearing my G shock or other digital watch...then it is truly double electronic!

Also I don’t think I wear the Apple Watch if out for a posh dinner or something...if that ever happens again!

Blog Entries
    Fitbit Charge 3 on RHW and choice of watch on LHW - I've had others before that. Get good range of stats and seems accurate enough for my needs and can connect to phone GPS if needed. Now looking to switch to Garmin Vivosport which is similar.

If you want to go rather left field - you can stick a Jabra Sport in your ear and that will measure heartbeat, and link to phone GPS etc - and you get excellent phone call quality too!

Martyn

Master
    Garmin Vivosport

I've been wearing it on my right wrist for the past 2 years constantly. Has GPS. Does everything you need.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/57...n/010-01789-02

Another garmin vivosmart 4 user. Great for tracking day to day stuff, but i still put on my Suunto in place of a normal watch for running/biking etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Garmin Viviosmart 4 for me as well, which has been on the right wrist for a while now. The added bonus with it is that it is gps connected, so can be used to track a run/bike ride. Another bonus is the Garmin Connect app.
    Whoops - stupid me, its the Viviosport I've got, that has GPS capabilities (same one spareparts linked 2 posts ago) great bit of kit, and small enough so as not to look out of place with a "real" watch on the other wrist.
    Last edited by Skip; 17th January 2021 at 22:51.

Craftsman
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 645 for exercise logging, and it rotates between my right wrist and pocket when not exercising. When I’m out though, it generally goes on my left wrist as I leave my mechanical watches at home (much too easy to smash them mountain biking)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Check them out on eBay, they're going for well below RRP.

I agree that they could have done a better job on the aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Smart strap, or bracelet, that you could wear with almost any watch would be great. Although I’d be unlikely to remove an Oyster or Jubilee to put one on a Rolex, I’d likely use one with a number of watches that I wear on aftermarket leathers. How does the Sony work...?
    The Sony has a Bluetooth connection to your phone. So it pretty much works like any smart watch, except the battery and display are built into the bracelet rather than a watch head. Lots of reviews on YouTube if it's caught your interest

Master
    Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. I've ordered a Garmin Vivosport, which arrives today. Seems to do what I want it to do (fitness tracking, workouts, heart rate, sleep, VO2 etc) and I can turn off the unnecessary alerts. Importantly the software is pretty mature, and the analysis etc looks good.

I'm going to keep the Apple Watch on for a week, and use the Vivosport alongside it (right wrist), just to verify that I get what I want out of it. Then I'll swap the Apple Watch out for a real watch!

Incidentally, there's a new version of that Sony strap released. At the moment it's Japan only (but various importers are offering it). There are stainless steel, black steel, rubber and leather variants, and a pretty comprehensive list of improvements, not least of which is a bigger and better screen. Certainly one to keep an eye open for:

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_wena_3...news-45604.php

Now that Sony Wena 3 rubber looks interesting.

Master
    I've used an Honour Band 5 for nearly a year - works great and also monitors your SAT level as well - which is useful in these covid times.
    Takes a while to get used to the feel of double wristing but once you can ignore a watch on your 'off' arm it's great.

I've ordered the Garmin Forerunner 245 which comes tomorrow. I wanted something smaller (exactly like what you've just ordered) to wear alongside a normal watch but the gel cushion of my mouse mat would dig it into my right wrist all day.

Do you guys wear (or plan to wear) it on your other wrist or the same wrist as your mechanical watches?

I wear my watch on my left wrist and my fitness band on the right.

I have done now for about 5 years and barely notice it.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

I just ordered a black Amazfit GTS 2 Mini for $99 to wear on my opposite wrist to monitor my oxygen saturation (combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema). Now I won't need to find my fingertip pulse oximeter to take a reading.

Journeyman
    I have a Fitbit charge and wear it on my right wrist alongside my Sub on my left. Used to have the first generation Charge HR, and noone ever batted an eyelid at the two.

The Charge HR died, and I switched to a Charge 3, and got more than one comment that I look like a tool with 2 watches within a week :)

Master
    The Garmin Vivosport arrived earlier today. First impressions - very small and anonymous (which is exactly what I wanted). Rubber strap is soft and comfy. Easily customisable, so I've set it to act like my Apple Watch (initially to prove that it can do everything that the AW can), so it alerts me to calls, emails, texts and notifications from apps like Reddit and Telegram. I'll turn these off once I'm confident that functionality is covered. Screen is good, vibration is strong, even on medium setting! Heart rate accuracy has been identical to the AW so far. I've also configured it to nudge me to move, just as my AW does.

Best part is, it sits comfortably on my right wrist and is thin and low profile. So far so good - from a couple of hours testing, it does exactly what I was looking for.

I'll check sleep monitoring tonight, and will go out for a run tomorrow to check GPS and step accuracy.

Link here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/57...n/010-01789-02

The price shows as £149, but I paid £90 from Amazon with next day delivery.

Would love one for my right wrist but I know it would dig into this all day. May try double wrist tomorrow when the Forerunner comes for a few days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    The Garmin Vivosport arrived earlier today. First impressions - very small and anonymous (which is exactly what I wanted). Rubber strap is soft and comfy. Easily customisable, so I've set it to act like my Apple Watch (initially to prove that it can do everything that the AW can), so it alerts me to calls, emails, texts and notifications from apps like Reddit and Telegram. I'll turn these off once I'm confident that functionality is covered. Screen is good, vibration is strong, even on medium setting! Heart rate accuracy has been identical to the AW so far. I've also configured it to nudge me to move, just as my AW does.

Best part is, it sits comfortably on my right wrist and is thin and low profile. So far so good - from a couple of hours testing, it does exactly what I was looking for.

I'll check sleep monitoring tonight, and will go out for a run tomorrow to check GPS and step accuracy.

Link here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/57...n/010-01789-02

The price shows as £149, but I paid £90 from Amazon with next day delivery.
    Well done. I’ve searched them all, and only the Vivosport meets the requirements of gps functionality + being anonymous whilst allowing you to wear a proper watch on the left. Battery life is decent too. I run with mine almost daily (circa 50k a week) and it tracks most things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would love one for my right wrist but I know it would dig into this all day. May try double wrist tomorrow when the Forerunner comes for a few days.
    I was gifted a FR245 but have not used it. It is one of the best for what it is, but it is a proper watch (for small wrists) and looks like a proper watch. I couldn’t get on with it with a normal watch on the other hand. Looked naff.