closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitness tracker to wear with a “real” watch

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I was gifted a FR245 but have not used it. It is one of the best for what it is, but it is a proper watch (for small wrists) and looks like a proper watch. I couldn’t get on with it with a normal watch on the other hand. Looked naff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I'm going to come to the same conclusion. Going to double wrist for a few days at home to test the mouse mat with something on the right arm. Will either wear the watch only for exercise/sleep tracking or ditch it and get the same one you have if I can wear on in the right wrist comfortably.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Well done. I’ve searched them all, and only the Vivosport meets the requirements of gps functionality + being anonymous whilst allowing you to wear a proper watch on the left. Battery life is decent too. I run with mine almost daily (circa 50k a week) and it tracks most things.

Does the strap/band disintegrate as quickly as some people say? Seems a bit crappy that it can’t be replaced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Does the strap/band disintegrate as quickly as some people say? Seems a bit crappy that it can’t be replaced.
    There is a 2y warranty and I see there is a link on their support site for replacement strap as it may be a known issue. I’ve just got my viviosport. So far so good. The HR seems a little high compared to my Fitbit Charge 3 I am running in parallel before I switch.

I reckon tech will have moved on in 2y time so happy to replace then anyway. Spreading the cost of £90 over 2y is low - and no subscription model! The integrated strap is very comfortable. I was surprised how small and discrete it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Been wearing mine 24-7 for most of the past year, including on site at work (large scale construction) Its got a couple of small nicks around the screen, and the odd scratch and scuff (none of which can be seen due to it being black) Other than that its all good, and performing as it should.

Journeyman
    The material on the Vivosport band looks very similar to the Fitbut Charge HR (soft silicone). After 2 years my Fitbit band started cracking in places and wholly disintegrated by the end of year 3.

It's amazing the dedication of the membership to fitness tracking yet everything in SC is at least XXL.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    It's amazing the dedication of the membership to fitness tracking yet everything in SC is at least XXL.
    Maybe they all got so fit that nothing fits any more

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    And such small feet :-)

Master

Can you track swimming?

Do any of these trackers work for swimming?

Yes, I know the WIS answer is a DSSD

I just bought a cheapo Letscom fitness tracker off Amazon for £20. Does pretty much everything the Fitbit does for £100 less. Let’s see how it goes.

Master
    Couple of days in with the Vivosport, wearing it alongside the Apple Watch to check any differences. At the moment, it looks good; steps count for the day is broadly the same, sleep tracking is pretty much identical (interestingly, even down to the light / heavy / REM sleep time breakdowns). Workout calories are within 10%, which is close enough for me. I've got notifications set to push to the Vivosport as I want after a bit of tweaking.

Out of the box, there are some ease-of-use differences where the Apple Watch is just automatically integrated with the iPhone and works better - things like I'm on a call & put my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, it automatically sets my watch to DND too. I've since learnt that the best way to set the Vivosport up to pull any alerts directly from the iPhone, rather than direct from the source of the alerts (for example my work Outlook calendar)... that way if my phone is muted, it doesn't push anything to the Vivosport, effectively mirroring the iPhone.

So far, I can't see anything that the Vivosmart doesn't do for me, so I'm pretty confident that I can retire the Apple Watch over the next few days, and get a real watch back on my wrist. Only potential USP of the AW is the integration to Apple Fitness Plus (www.apple.com/uk/apple-fitness-plus) where you need an Apple Watch to see your on screen stats. If I get into Fitness Plus, it may be that I just keep the Apple Watch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Couple of days in with the Vivosport, wearing it alongside the Apple Watch to check any differences. At the moment, it looks good; steps count for the day is broadly the same, sleep tracking is pretty much identical (interestingly, even down to the light / heavy / REM sleep time breakdowns). Workout calories are within 10%, which is close enough for me. I've got notifications set to push to the Vivosport as I want after a bit of tweaking.

Out of the box, there are some ease-of-use differences where the Apple Watch is just automatically integrated with the iPhone and works better - things like I'm on a call & put my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, it automatically sets my watch to DND too. I've since learnt that the best way to set the Vivosport up to pull any alerts directly from the iPhone, rather than direct from the source of the alerts (for example my work Outlook calendar)... that way if my phone is muted, it doesn't push anything to the Vivosport, effectively mirroring the iPhone.

So far, I can't see anything that the Vivosmart doesn't do for me, so I'm pretty confident that I can retire the Apple Watch over the next few days, and get a real watch back on my wrist. Only potential USP of the AW is the integration to Apple Fitness Plus (www.apple.com/uk/apple-fitness-plus) where you need an Apple Watch to see your on screen stats. If I get into Fitness Plus, it may be that I just keep the Apple Watch for that.
    Great to hear! Glad you're enjoying the Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

Some are suitable for swimming, but I don't know which.

I know some of the local swimming club members have them, but I don't see any of them at the moment! (I'm not a member, but they used to share the pool with my dive club one night a week).

M

I looked at the Vivosport and it does look a fantastic piece of kit but my fitness regime tends to involve brisk walking only so I opted for the simpler Vivofit 4 which has a superb 1 year battery life.

Journeyman
    After reading this thread and it being the new year and I'm carrying a little excess weight, I decided to dig out my Xiaomi mi-band. I've not used it for at least 5 years I reckon. I installed the app and it still works.

I bought it so I could easily wear it with a watch without it looking too silly and I liked it's simplicity.

It's always been really accurate too.
    Last edited by Dan*S; 21st January 2021 at 14:13.

Journeyman
    After a week of wearing my old Mi-band the battery looks like it's struggling. I'm only getting just over a days use out of a full charge.

I think I'll try one of the Garmin ones, they look good.

Master
    I have a fitbit charge 4 that doesn't leave my wrist, and if I go out the house and want to put a "real" watch on, which is rare these days, the fitbit gets moved to the other wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S View Post
    After a week of wearing my old Mi-band the battery looks like it's struggling. I'm only getting just over a days use out of a full charge.

I think I'll try one of the Garmin ones, they look good.
    Amazon was the cheapest I found for the Vivosport, if you decide to go with that model. £90 instead of £149 on Garmin’s website.

Amazon was the cheapest I found for the Vivosport, if you decide to go with that model. £90 instead of £149 on Garmin’s website.
    Same price at John Lewis

Journeyman
    Cheers.

I'll probably go with Amazon as I've a voucher I can use.

I'm happy with my Huawei Band 4, but I do like the idea of a non-rechargeable battery with 1 year life, so I'll probably take a look at the Garmin Vivofit if I need another one any time (Although as someone else said, in a couple of years the tech will have moved on)

M

Craftsman

Ankle?

Rather than both wrists, why not wear the tracker on your ankle?

Curiously, it looks like you can get "proper" ankle fitness trackers. Apart from potentially looking like you've been electronically tagged by the police, what's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm happy with my Huawei Band 4, but I do like the idea of a non-rechargeable battery with 1 year life, so I'll probably take a look at the Garmin Vivofit if I need another one any time (Although as someone else said, in a couple of years the tech will have moved on)

M
    Managed to get it to sync to MyFitnessPal?

Wife got fed up with Fitbit always breaking and nothing else was as slim, but this doesn’t link her steps at all.

My garmin vivosmart 4 has started to lose battery and the strap is falling apart. The downside of this device is they have an integrated strap so you can’t replace it.

So I bought the Amazfit band 5 for £35 off of Amazon.

Must say I’m very impressed for the price. Has a much better bigger colour oled screen. Hrm, HRV, workouts, sleep taking with breathing and spo2 (useful in COVID times!). You can even trigger iPhone camera from it!

The Zepp app for phone is also very good.

Can’t beat it for the price. I neatly went for the Xiaomi Mi Band 5 but this was a bit more but with spo2. They are made by the same manufacturer so this will most probably be the next Mi Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Managed to get it to sync to MyFitnessPal?

Wife got fed up with Fitbit always breaking and nothing else was as slim, but this doesn’t link her steps at all.
    No idea what MyFitnessPal is, so I can't help.

I just use the Huawei Health app.

M

MyFitnessPal doesn't directly sync with the Amazfit. The way I got it to work on my iphone is install the free app Pacer and link that to apple health - just chose to read steps from Health nothing else or write to it. Then went into MFP and linked Pacer app and chose that as the source of steps.

Working well so far but only did it this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No idea what MyFitnessPal is, so I can't help.

I just use the Huawei Health app.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Rather than both wrists, why not wear the tracker on your ankle?

Curiously, it looks like you can get "proper" ankle fitness trackers. Apart from potentially looking like you've been electronically tagged by the police, what's not to like?
    I can use a wrist tracker to easily read what I've done. When it's on my ankle - probably less so.

- - - Updated - - -

Apple Watch does, worked well when I could swim lengths in the local pool. A good push off the wall each end helps.

Journeyman

Some dedicated trackers do, but I did shortcircuit a Fitbit Charge 3 in a pool. Mind you, that tracker is supposed to be waterproof...

Luckily, Fitbit have decent warranty terms and did send me a replacement without asking too many questions.

This thread has convinced me too ditch the Garmin Fenix 6 and go back to wearing a mechanical watch (I miss wearing a mechanical) and purchasing the Garmin Vivosport for the other wrist...

Cheers OP...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    MyFitnessPal doesn't directly sync with the Amazfit. The way I got it to work on my iphone is install the free app Pacer and link that to apple health - just chose to read steps from Health nothing else or write to it. Then went into MFP and linked Pacer app and chose that as the source of steps.

Working well so far but only did it this morning!
    Amazfit syncs to an app called Zepp which can be linked to apple’s health app.
    I have been using the amazfit bip u pro for a week and have been impressed by its capabilities considering the £60 price tag

Master
    Costco were doing a good deal on the Fitbit Charge 4 a few days ago.
    Under £100

maseman

Apprentice
    I’d love a stripped-down Apple Watch fitness band, with just the tracking functionality in a simple unobtrusive form factor, and all the stats and settings etc on the phone. I wouldn’t even be bothered for a screen on the device since I’d view all of that on the phone.

Not sure if middle aged watch geeks who want to continue wearing a mechanical watch are really Apple’s priority market though 
    Defintely this, been waiting a while for it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Smart strap, or bracelet, that you could wear with almost any watch would be great. Although I’d be unlikely to remove an Oyster or Jubilee to put one on a Rolex, I’d likely use one with a number of watches that I wear on aftermarket leathers. How does the Sony work...?
    I used a Montblanc e-strap for about £250ish IIRC about 5 years ago. Great idea, enabling me to wear a nice mechanical watch with a basic smart device. The device died after about two years though and also lacked investment in continuous improvement of the software but the basic concept is still a very good idea.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/montbla...ed-collection/

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/montbla...ewalker-watch/

Tech has moved on making it look obsolete but it was ok at the time.
    Last edited by Corrado; 28th January 2021 at 17:19. Reason: Added link to review.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Tech has moved on making it look obsolete but it was ok at the time.
    Maybe the answer is a Smart clasp - It'd be smaller and cheaper than a full bracelet and swappable between straps (although the same end size, I suppose, unless they were clever and made it fit a range somehow), bracelets or leather/rubber/nylon straps.

If it were a similar price to a basic Fitbit (Say £50-£70, or even £20-£30 like the Chinese ones), you could afford to replace it more often than a full bracelet, keeping up with the tech advances as and when you felt the need.

Perhaps I need to patent this

M

Left Hand

Right Hand

Happy days, I get to wear a mechanical and and can also keep a track of exercise etc etc...

Wish I’d thought of this before...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Left Hand

Right Hand

Happy days, I get to wear a mechanical and and can also keep a track of exercise etc etc...

Wish I’d thought of this before...

Nice! My setup today is very similar, but with a blue SMP on my left wrist. I've been walking around this week admiring the beauty of a mechanical watch that simply tells the time... Not missed the AW at all since the Vivosport takes care of that stuff.

Nice! My setup today is very similar, but with a blue SMP on my left wrist. I've been walking around this week admiring the beauty of a mechanical watch that simply tells the time... Not missed the AW at all since the Vivosport takes care of that stuff.
    Exactly I do love mechanical watches, smart watches or fancy Garmin’s no matter how many times just don’t do it for me and I end up moving them on because I miss wearing a mechanical so much...

I've worn a Fitbit on my right wrist for many many years. Initially a Surge when they first came out but now a Versa 2.

I'm not too worried about absolute accuracy of steps as I only use them as a rough guide. Easy strap change and just the right number of features I need. Lynn uses her Fitbit Surge and the difference between steps recorded when we go on our daily walk is minimal.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.