closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Log burning fire flue regs?

Log burning fire flue regs?

There’s bound to be someone in the know on the forum and was wondering if they could confirm a quick question?

The wife wants a log burner in the lounge at either point A or B however as you can see there are velux windows in the 3rd floor which is the boys bedroom.
    There are also windows the other side of the chimney that would be at point B.

I’ve searched the net and unable to find if this would be possible due to the window openings?
    My gut feeling is that it wouldn’t be possible as as far as I can see gases could, if in the right direction enter through the window. My wife however doesn’t seem to think that’s a problem.

Your help is much appreciated
    FFF

Sorry for the awful pic.

Blog Entries
    In any case, the chimney top should be significantly higher than the rooftop. Furthermore, I think you're right about the Velux windows in relation to the gas and smoke from the wood burner.
    A proper wood burner seller or certified chimney sweeper can tell you more, I'm sure. These are the experts.

What's the predominant wind direction in relation to the position of your house?
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th January 2021 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In any case, the chimney top should be significantly higher than the rooftop. Furthermore, I think you're right about the Velux windows in relation to the gas and smoke from the wood burner.
    A proper wood burner seller or certified chimney sweeper can tell you more, I'm sure. These are the experts.

What's the predominant wind direction in relation to the position of your house?
    Generally from the front of the house, so above the velux windows and heads towards my perspective taking the shot

Master
    We had a log burner for a week! It smoked us and the neighbours every time it was lit (and Yes, we did use the correct, dried fuel and it was properly sealed and fitted). Most of the heat went up the flue. We swapped it for a log effect gas fire and all was much better! The neighbours liked it too!

Master
    No idea on regs but you wouldn't get a good draw if the chimney/flue didn't extend above the roof.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Chimneys/flues don’t have to be straight up, our neighbours had one installed recently with a bend, which could avoid the issues for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    We had a log burner for a week! It smoked us and the neighbours every time it was lit (and Yes, we did use the correct, dried fuel and it was properly sealed and fitted). Most of the heat went up the flue. We swapped it for a log effect gas fire and all was much better! The neighbours liked it too!
    Something's not right there, either the installation (unlikely if done by a HETAS installer - which it should have been) or the way you went about operating it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    No idea on regs but you wouldn't get a good draw if the chimney/flue didn't extend above the roof.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is the thing, it would be above the roof where I have the flues but in my mind it would look stupid because it would have to be higher than the roof where the velux windows are fixed.

Master
    Approved Doc J p31 for location and height, and the top of the chimney needs to be a min of 4.5mm above the appliance....

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf
    Last edited by benny.c; 16th January 2021 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In any case, the chimney top should be significantly higher than the rooftop.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Pretty sure you will be OK with that but really best to get a HETAS registered installer to come and look at it all for you. From memory there is a horizontal distance from opening windows and roofline that determines whether you need to be above them or not.

One other point is likely to be the “distance to combustible material” - determined by the stove. The standard distance will be quite high and pretty much anything counts as combustible so you may want/need to install heat shielding which you can hang on the wall behind the stove and will cut the distance significantly.

What on Earth are your dogs doing in that photo?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    What on Earth are your dogs doing in that photo?!
    Sisters play fighting as normal

Very old school rule of thumb was chimney to be higher than ridge line to ensure a good ‘draw’. Although this was for open fires.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Very old school rule of thumb was chimney to be higher than ridge line to ensure a good ‘draw’. Although this was for open fires.
    Height above stove is the important factor and as already mentioned should be 4.5m.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    , and the top of the chimney needs to be a min of 4.5mm above the appliance....]
    That should be easy enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://brochures.stovax.com/brochur.../flue-pipe.pdf

Maybe a horizontal exit flue on the left of your home.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    https://brochures.stovax.com/brochur.../flue-pipe.pdf

Maybe a horizontal exit flue on the left of your home.
    Those are for gas fires/stoves. Balanced flue wood stoves not possible.

Master
    You are allowed 4 bends on a flu. In this instance I presume you will come out of the wall at 45 degrees from the top of the stove and then straighten up again. That’s two used. You may need the other two when you need to get around the soffit/gutter to get vertical again.

Get a hetas wood burner fitter to give you a quote. General builders don’t count as they aren’t qualified and will need the council to sign it off instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    You are allowed 4 bends on a flu. In this instance I presume you will come out of the wall at 45 degrees from the top of the stove and then straighten up again. That’s two used. You may need the other two when you need to get around the soffit/gutter to get vertical again.

Get a hetas wood burner fitter to give you a quote. General builders don’t count as they aren’t qualified and will need the council to sign it off instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers thanks for that