closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi TT 1.8 Petrol Battery Replacement?

Audi TT 1.8 Petrol Battery Replacement?

Hi all,

have been getting the 'low battery needs charging while you drive' warning from my TT in recent months on starting. It starts fine but clearly the battery is probably on the way out (only 4 and a half years old...) what with the cold weather recently. So, the question is can I use any normal 'AGM' stop-start type battery, fitted by anyone other than an Audi dealer, or does a new battery also require registering with the cars onboard electronics in some way to remove the warning permanently with a new battery?

Master
    Check it’s not the alternator, I think that’s the message I got in my A3 1.8t Quattro a few years back when that packed up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I changed the battery in my A3 for Oem part no issues.I believe some cars need to connect to Audi software to up date settings .

Simple question.....does your car have start/stop?

My A3 2ltr diesel is getting very little use at the moment, as in probs 2 or 3 very short journeys per week. Get this warning every time i get in this time of year. Once i take her for a spin (20 + miles) next couple of times it's fine. Battery just not getting charged enough to cater for sitting in what has been almost constant minus temps.
    Probably means new battery soon but i think on the evidence of the longer journeys there's life to be wrung out of it yet

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Start stop was designed to help manufacturers trim the emissions results. In the real world, it trashes batteries and provides almost no benefit to the consumer. First thing I do in my cars is switch it off after I start the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Simple question.....does your car have start/stop?
    Hi,

yes it does (hence requirement for an AGM type battery), but I always turn this off. Since March it has had a 30 minute run once a week (working from home). This was fine until November when the low battery messages started, as did the colder weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi,

yes it does (hence requirement for an AGM type battery), but I always turn this off. Since March it has had a 30 minute run once a week (working from home). This was fine until November when the low battery messages started, as did the colder weather.
    Then yes, your vehicle will have battery monitoring which will almost certainly need to be reset, doesn’t have to be an Audi dealer as most diagnostics systems have the ability to enable a new battery. Any equivalent AGM battery is fine, Yuasa-platinum-Varta- exide all do them and come with a decent warranty, in some cases 5 years

Batteries hit a wall with age and mileage and it’s the colder months that generally tip them. In the summer months you generally won’t have lights, heater, heated seats on as much and likely to do more mileage. Winter months mean heated seats, lights, screen de-mists etc, added to less mileage and the battery can soon tip that point. Another factor is covid, a lot of cars this and last year have sat idle and ready I’ve replaced twice the amount of batteries I’d generally do
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 17th January 2021 at 11:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My A3 is a 12 plate ,used these for the battery( advanced battery supplies.)Car fired up first turn after battery change and one by one all the warning lights went out.

Went for a spin this weekend and no such warnings yesterday

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd recommend Tayna batteries (not a brand, an online shop). Excellent prices and top notch delivery.

Master
    Just a wee note to those with stop/start cars, if charging the battery on your car don’t attach the lead to the negative terminal, it has a battery state module on the lead, use the earth point on the body or if fitted the remote earth point. The module checks the battery condition and regulates if the stop/start operates and can be damaged if a charger is coupled to it, was roared at by the service manager in the showroom when I coupled the charger the wrong way to display car, last time I volunteered to help sales.