closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: End of SC for us across the water?

End of SC for us across the water?

What with the UK out of the EU , for us across the water, it makes it nearly impossible financially to buy and sell on SC anymore (well.. the nice stuff). It’s a great shame. Even Amazon.co.uk is dearer now and all the parcel shipping companies we used with UK addresses that allow us to ship to a UK address are no longer doing it.

Shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm waiting for the benefits of Brexit. I haven't seen any yet. The masses were brainwashed to vote for it by the likes of Farage and Johnston. Hitler also brainwashed a nation, and Trump is following in the footsteps.

Not on SC but elsewhere you’ve access to a bigger market than we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I'm waiting for the benefits of Brexit. I haven't seen any yet. The masses were brainwashed to vote for it by the likes of Farage and Johnston. Hitler also brainwashed a nation, and Trump is following in the footsteps.
    Please keep your political strop out of watch talk.

Master
    Recently it’s all second hand shoes, phones, clothes & coats no big loss really?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What access do we have now that we didn’t before? ( Assuming the have should have said had? )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Whilst I’m sure that there will be some sales to and from the UK going forward, SC will almost certainly become a far more UK centric marketplace from now on.

It’s a shame but there’s nothing we can do except suck it up.

End of SC for us across the water?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    What access do we have now that we didn’t before? ( Assuming the have should have said had? )
    I read that as our friends overseas having VST free access to the whole of the EU whilst we only have the UK and not even NI!

SC is not the heart of TZ, so shouldn't be a big loss. It's also not what it once was.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 16th January 2021 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I read that as our friends overseas having VST free access to the whole of the EU whilst we only have the UK and not even NI!
    Ah, yes, didn’t notice the OP location.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'lll let you know once our move has completed.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    What with the UK out of the EU , for us across the water, it makes it nearly impossible financially to buy and sell on SC anymore (well.. the nice stuff). It’s a great shame. Even Amazon.co.uk is dearer now and all the parcel shipping companies we used with UK addresses that allow us to ship to a UK address are no longer doing it.

Shame

It’s only January let’s just wait and see what happens. Whatever our personal view on this it’s happened but I think over the next 12 months things will calm down and some sort of agreement will be reached.

Me too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It’s only January let’s just wait and see what happens. Whatever our personal view on this it’s happened but I think over the next 12 months things will calm down and some sort of agreement will be reached.
    Difficult to question your optimism as this is WT.

I have magic beans for sale, can I tempt you?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Without a doubt we have access to the EU market. And I agree SC is one aspect of the forum.

In December I bought my IWC LPP ,for nearly a grand cheaper than what eu based sellers were selling it for.

I am waiting to see what becomes of the free market deals but it’s disappointing.

I have noticed that the likes Of WatchFinder have set up an Irish site , no doubt still shipping from the uk,but being bought and sold via Ireland.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Please keep your political strop out of watch talk.
    It isn’t a political strip, it’s a practical one. I feel the same as the other poster - it’s a practical trainwreck and aside from the fact that it made a large collection of the easily deceived feel nostalgic, I’m yet to identify a single benefit. Not hyperbole - quite literally - not a single tangible benefit.

I think it will make things more difficult to sell for those outside the UK if 20% VAT is going to be added by HRMC when it arrives in the country.

Equally, this has not stopped many on here buying from the likes of Singapore, Japan and the US etc over the years - so if the deal is a good one there will be every chance of some interest.

Master
    Damn! I've never seen Godwin's Law kick in so quickly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    It isn’t a political strip, it’s a practical one. I feel the same as the other poster - it’s a practical trainwreck and aside from the fact that it made a large collection of the easily deceived feel nostalgic, I’m yet to identify a single benefit. Not hyperbole - quite literally - not a single tangible benefit.
    Then may I recommend you apply for a new passport? I've just received mine and it's ... black!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    Without a doubt we have access to the EU market. And I agree SC is one aspect of the forum.

In December I bought my IWC LPP ,for nearly a grand cheaper than what eu based sellers were selling it for.

I am waiting to see what becomes of the free market deals but it’s disappointing.

I have noticed that the likes Of WatchFinder have set up an Irish site , no doubt still shipping from the uk,but being bought and sold via Ireland.

When we are allowed again jump on a cheap flight over and collect whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Then may I recommend you apply for a new passport? I've just received mine and it's ... black!
    Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Damn! I've never seen Godwin's Law kick in so quickly.

golden comment haha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    My sarcasm. Looks like it's being held for inspection at Dover.

Difficult to question your optimism as this is WT.

I have magic beans for sale, can I tempt you?
    Sorry my mistake,

Trump, Boris, conspiracy.... conspiracy....this is watch talk isn't it?

Rant, rant, argue in an empty room etc......

I'm not sure that I'm ready for 'your untamed wit'.

SC was a good place for us in Ireland to get watches. Ireland is a small market and we dont have a large stock of good watches, with the close relationship with the UK it was super handy buy things and have them shipped. That now will certainly incur duty on the watch some 20 odd percent. You could go over and collect but the cost of that in travel, food, days off work etc...would nullify the cost savings. Also technically you should declare good brought back into the EU, so shipping boxes and papers separately is a wise precaution should you decide to be bold.

There are loads of sellers in mainland europe but there are language barriers and unfamilarity that makes it harder. I am sure that things will work themselves out in time with regard to brexit etc but at the moment there is some uncertainty. Having just completed a sale in germany and having to endure the embarrassment of the impeccably good english of the seller I am less nervous. As we all get used to rerouting supply chains and commerce around the UK, I feel UK has become more distant to us with Brexit which from my POV is a crying unnecessary shame.

Another thing is that we in Ireland will now be reluctant to sell watches into the UK, so maybe stock will stay more local????

I might be way off here but I never found the watches on SC from the EU all that cheap unless they came from SC in the first place which controlled the price

It was good if you were after a particular watch but there were never bargains (apart from Wooster)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Me too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    What, following in Hitler's footsteps?

There are still a large number of EU based members that will no doubt deal with each other.
    It's just a matter of time...

Easyjet or Ryanair is your friend?
    For a decent watch the modest fare and a personal pickup offsets the postage aggrevation?
    In country I'm happy to donate a date a tank full of fuel to collect a significant purchase.
    What's changed in real terms?

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm not sure that I'm ready for 'your untamed wit'.
    Then let me spell it out for you. One of the benefits of Brexit touted at the time of the referendum was that we would once again be proud holders of a passport with the traditional black colour rather than the standard burgundy colour for EU member countries.

Then let me spell it out for you. One of the benefits of Brexit touted at the time of the referendum was that we would once again be proud holders of a passport with the traditional black colour rather than the standard burgundy colour for EU member countries.
    How many times does it have to be pointed out that it's bad form to post political posts in Watch Talk and G&D?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    How many times does it have to be pointed out that it's bad form to post political posts in Watch Talk and G&D?.
    Good grief! If you read back through the thread, you'll see my original comment was an entirely harmless quip. Really, life's too short.

Master
    I think number2 was replying to robert75's post ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Could be crossed wires. In any case, apologies to number2 if any offence taken!

Good grief! If you read back through the thread, you'll see my original comment was an entirely harmless quip. Really, life's too short.
    Quite - stop being lazy where you post, please.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Equally, this has not stopped many on here buying from the likes of Singapore, Japan and the US etc over the years - so if the deal is a good one there will be every chance of some interest.
    Well said.

The 20 percent vat is a 'hit' on both sides of the border but at the same time, if the watch you want isn't available for 20 percent less in your own country then it shouldn't sop you from being UK-EU or vice versa. If it is available for 20 percent less then you buy in your own country.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    SC was a good place for us in Ireland to get watches. Ireland is a small market and we dont have a large stock of good watches, with the close relationship with the UK it was super handy buy things and have them shipped. That now will certainly incur duty on the watch some 20 odd percent. You could go over and collect but the cost of that in travel, food, days off work etc...would nullify the cost savings. Also technically you should declare good brought back into the EU, so shipping boxes and papers separately is a wise precaution should you decide to be bold.
    Northern Ireland is still within the scope of UK VAT so if you have any contacts up there you could use them. Agreed that the item should be declared when it travels from north to south but I can imagine that many a personal item won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    SC is not the heart of TZ, so shouldn't be a big loss. It's also not what it once was.

+1 it’s not the heart but I’ve bought some nice watches over the years - and sold a few.
    Last edited by Rinaldo1711; 17th January 2021 at 01:16.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Most likely, with the traditional “Must comment on every topic and drag it off course” theme

Thought they were dark blue not black.

As has been stated already here, most of us have bought overseas and paid the vat, maybe not happily but if the deal is right.
    Most of my imports have been outside the EU, most from the US, it never stopped me and it won’t change how I feel or act going forward.
    Plenty of times I’ve seen watches I must have overseas that are cheaper than here, so paying Vat just means the end price gets closer or par with local prices, I just don’t see that anybody is going to miss out, Vat was charged in the country of origin in the Eu if bought from a shop or dealer and used prices from non dealers were related because of the price included Vat.
    If you want it but don’t like the price, then look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I just don’t see that anybody is going to miss out
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

What about buying from an individual or from a company that is not VAT registered?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Easyjet or Ryanair is your friend?
    For a decent watch the modest fare and a personal pickup offsets the postage aggrevation?
    In country I'm happy to donate a date a tank full of fuel to collect a significant purchase.
    What's changed in real terms?

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    What do you put the fuel into?

Master
    Err, no:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/i...urn-next-month

'Britons will be able to travel with a blue passport when the traditional colour returns for the first time in almost 30 years ...'

(Of course they have turned out black, so they couldn't even get that right.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I might be way off here but I never found the watches on SC from the EU all that cheap unless they came from SC in the first place which controlled the price

It was good if you were after a particular watch but there were never bargains (apart from Wooster)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I’ve bought a couple of very well priced watches from within the EU when the £ was a healthy currency up until about 2016. Then it all got quite expensive overnight for some reason...

I don't really see the problem for watch buyers in Ireland - Britain has always been a bit backward compared to places like Germany: far fewer brands and models available here IME, used or new. Now that there's a price premium and very much more restricted supply, that will go significantly further downhill. I read that the loss of the VAT margin scheme alone has the big used dealers dead in the water already.

Aside from SC, the vast majority of my watches have come from almost anywhere but the UK - prices were almost always significantly better from the EU - buying direct or from ADs, while beyond that, I simply calculated the whole price including tax, duty and fees. Between various simultaneous translators and the fact English is so widely spoken worldwide, I never encountered a language barrier.

Relax and enjoy your unfettered access to the EU - I already miss it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    While we have access to the EU the safety of SC will be greatly missed which is mostly UK based sellers.

Buying the seller is so very easy on TZ from a 5 minute search to see who you are dealing with. Paying 4-5 figure sums via bank transfer before you receive a watch is not for the faint hearted.....but if you can see they have been a member on Tz for 5 years and have 6 pages of h and v.....

I am disappointed at the UK being closed off to us now basically for private watch sales.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I don't really see the problem for watch buyers in Ireland - Britain has always been a bit backward compared to places like Germany: far fewer brands and models available here IME, used or new. Now that there's a price premium and very much more restricted supply, that will go significantly further downhill. I read that the loss of the VAT margin scheme alone has the big used dealers dead in the water already.

Aside from SC, the vast majority of my watches have come from almost anywhere but the UK - prices were almost always significantly better from the EU - buying direct or from ADs, while beyond that, I simply calculated the whole price including tax, duty and fees. Between various simultaneous translators and the fact English is so widely spoken worldwide, I never encountered a language barrier.

Relax and enjoy your unfettered access to the EU - I already miss it...

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    While we have access to the EU the safety of SC will be greatly missed which is mostly UK based sellers.

Buying the seller is so very easy on TZ from a 5 minute search to see who you are dealing with. Paying 4-5 figure sums via bank transfer before you receive a watch is not for the faint hearted.....but if you can see they have been a member on Tz for 5 years and have 6 pages of h and v.....

I am disappointed at the UK being closed off to us now basically for private watch sales.
    I shouldn’t worry, the pound will probably rank against all other currencies this year and watches from the UK, even with VST to add will be bargains compared to elsewhere!!

Disclaimer: other guesses are available.