closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7548 vs. CWC RN diver quartz

Master

Seiko 7548 vs. CWC RN diver quartz

I never thought I would post a thread of this type but would like your views.

I bought this rather nice 7548 from pjsayer a few weeks ago. However, I would like to get it modded further (sapphire and S-signed crown) and relumed dial, cleaned and relumed or new hands.

I have a hankering after a CWC RN quartz diver and not sure I can justify both (purely watch-wise). Never had one before.

I know they are, in a way, totally different watches but how would you compare the two?

You might throw Scurfa and Zeno PRS-3 into the equation but I have been there and I do not like Ronda movements, which I know might be snob value on my part.

Personally I would take the RN every day with out of these two. Such a great watch! I know some consider them overpriced now, but I think they're worth every penny.

Master
    Honestly, I’d leave the Seiko as it is and just enjoy it. I’ve had a few of them during my time here, but ended up moving them on as I don’t like day/date functions. You can’t go wrong with any CWC non-date dive watch. Some people don’t like being restricted to Nato straps, but that’s part of the charm for me. Get one pre-owned and you won’t regret it.

Master
    With the money that your probably going to fork out for getting your Seiko modified you may as well spend it on the CWC.

Yep leave the Seiko as it is, it’s a nice example and buy the CWC. I agree with Tetlee, they are expensive but I think they are worth the money.

Craftsman
    On the aesthetics alone, I hugely prefer the CWC, great looking watch. The only drawback for me is the need for a nato strap.

Master
    Another vote for the CWC, dependable, good looking & a bit different.

Craftsman
    I don't know much about the Seiko but I have just purchased a CWC RN Diver (QM60) from the SC. I'm really pleased with it!

I haven't owned many watches and I prefer no date, smaller pieces such as CWC G10 and recently a Timefactors PRS 10. Last year I purchased a Scurfa Diver One. In comparison I find that the CWC RN wears slightly better and is maybe a bit more comfortable on the wrist. I haven't weighed the heads but the CWC feels and looks slightly smaller and I think on balance I prefer it over the Scurfa. I have a 7 inch wrist.

I do think that the Scurfa has an incredible solid feel to the build quality and the bezel action is not only easier to use but feels nice to 'fiddle' with. This is important to me as I will never go diving so would never get to use it otherwise!! The CWC bezel is not as easy to grip either.

I initially went looking for a CWC Diver but was put off by the price. I then purchased the Scurfa but wasn't satisfied so sourced a CWC. I should have got what I wanted in the first place!

If budget/price was an issue and I had to choose between the two I'd keep the Scurfa as I think it represents great quality and value for the price but overall the CWC gets my vote albeit at twice the price.

As mentioned, fixed bars, are part of 'charm'!

Also the good thing about the CWC as they seem to sell well should you want to move it on.

Had several CWC and many Seiko divers, although not the model in OP and I would also give the nod to CWC.

I have a CWC diver and a few 7548's (so I am a fan) I dont ever consider them as being in competition, they both serve the same basic function but differently. Messing around with the Seiko will ultimately detract from its value in my view, I have a modded version similar to what you are suggesting and compared to the original its missing something in terms of desirability (even so Ive had it for nearly 10 years now) so as others have said I would leave well alone with the Seiko, sell it on and seek a CWC but be ready for a reasonably large outlay for a decent one.
    Keith

Master
    I’m wearing a CWC RN 83 at the moment. For some reason, it’s a design that always pleases me. It’s a pretty ideal ‘one watch’ purchase, to me at least. Is it too pricey? Can’t say, but the cost doesn’t put me off.
    I won’t ever sell it either (if only because I need one quartz watch).

Master

Thanks chaps...

...I can see which way this is going.

Master
    Got this from Crouchy yesterday. One of one hundred. It could be a keeper. CWC RN300-83 QS60.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 16th January 2021 at 16:55.

Get the CWC and see how you get on. If you're still not satisfied sell the CWC and mod the Seiko. Cheaper than doing it the other way round and at least you know for sure.

Echoing previous comments I love the CWC - great looking watch with lots of history

Apart from changing the bezel insert I would be tempted to keep the 7548 (superb model) as is and if you fancy a CWC get one.

I was thinking just now, the CWC RN Diver is the only watch that I've ever sold and gone on to re-buy(all be it I got the SBS version second time around).

The RN diver is a great watch, but they used to be about £150. £750 for a standard quartz diver is madness, but when was this hobby ever sane.

I love mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The RN diver is a great watch, but they used to be about £150. £750 for a standard quartz diver is madness, but when was this hobby ever sane.
    Depends which version you go for, the MK1 with brushed top polished edges is £499.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...e-divers-watch

Craftsman
    Have a Seiko SKX11 and a number of CWC divers in Auto and Quartz, the CWC feels slightly better quality, however both are nice watches.

As far as your 7548 goes, I would keep it original, although sympathetic restoration would be OK

I think the CWC divers are lovely, but pretty expensive for what they are, particularly mineral glass.

Personally I’d keep the 7548, although if you wanted a CWC Diver, I’d understand that, and certainly wouldn’t talk you out of it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Got this from Crouchy yesterday. One of one hundred. It could be a keeper. CWC RN300-83 QS60.

I do like that version with the wider hands and 'bakealike' type insert, reminds me of an issued 85 that I once owned. Says sold out on the site though, do you know how much they retailed for. Going to keep my eyes peeled for one on sc or ebay possibly.

Master
    bobc, I think those were around £900. That one came to me in a trade a couple of days ago. It feels different to the CWC non-date divers I’ve previously owned.

I'm surprised so many would choose the CWC. I've had both and still have the 7548, was never impressed by the CWC movement and wobbly seconds hand missing the markers, felt the same as a Ronda. The case is nice on the CWC but so is the 7548. The 7548 feels so much more solid and over engineered, I still have mine whereas the CWC is long gone. I would leave the 7548 original too.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    bobc, I think those were around £900. That one came to me in a trade a couple of days ago. It feels different to the CWC non-date divers I’ve previously owned.

Thanks, as you say only 100 so may have quite a wait. Bear me in mind though if you decide to move it on. 👍

Seiko for me every time.

The CWC RN has become yet another shiny wrist bauble for many. The example I have from 2004, that I bought used in 2005 from Chronomaster was and is my "beater", and by that I mean worn when I wouldn't want to mark or damage a more costly watch. It got very wet, hot and dirty in my last couple of years in the Fire Service, and then had a different kind of abuse when I worked with a pal who was a sparky, on rewires and other larger installations, reaching under floors, through ceilings and walls with drills etc etc. It ended up looking like as below, but it tidied up OK, albeit with some deeper marks and scratches left. The whole point of a Nato with these watches is that at the end of the day you just rinse the whole watch under the tap and put a fresh strap on for the following day, they were never meant to be a shiny trinket for watch geeks, just a tough dependable watch for telling the time. It's worn when I go out cycling and on holiday these days.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Does anyone know the deal with dates of lume changes on these CWC/ZENO/PRS?

It appears all the new ones have this really wet look lume plots? I’d like a Zeno but did they ever do one that had powdery lume? The zeno especially looks really shiny, solid lume from new now.

FWIW I’d also say leave the 7548 alone and try and find an original bezel insert. The lume on them is pretty much impossible to recreate and it has a very distinct pattern to its application.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Does anyone know the deal with dates of lume changes on these CWC/ZENO/PRS?

It appears all the new ones have this really wet look lume plots? I’d like a Zeno but did they ever do one that had powdery lume? The zeno especially looks really shiny, solid lume from new now.

FWIW I’d also say leave the 7548 alone and try and find an original bezel insert. The lume on them is pretty much impossible to recreate and it has a very distinct pattern to its application.
    I can’t help with the Zeno or PRS but CWC started changing the lume from tritium to luminova around the year 2010, I have a tritium dial from 08 and a luminova from 12, early luminova dials have a flat lume, this was changed to glossier lume about 2015 - this is based on observations, from the web, the later glossy lume performs better in the dark.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th January 2021 at 11:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I can’t help with the Zeno or PRS but CWC started changing the lume from tritium to luminova around the year 2010, I have a tritium dial from 08 and a luminova from 12, early luminova dials have a flat lume, this was changed to glossier lume about 2015 - this is based on observations the later glossy lume performs better in the dark.
    Many thanks for the info. I’m not concerned with glow, more the look of the watch and the new gloss lume really doesn’t do it for me.

Many thanks for the info. I’m not concerned with glow, more the look of the watch and the new gloss lume really doesn’t do it for me.
    In that case tritium is the way to go, they look much better, and each batch seems to age differently.

Another recommendation for the CWC - I managed to pick up a mint 83 re issue on eBay for just under £700 last year and I love it. Don’t wear it very often, but every time I do it makes me smile. Its a lot of money for a quartz, and I really wasn’t sure if it would be worth it, but I haven’t regretted it for a second

I know exactly what you mean, I always put it down to the change to SL but I have seen plenty of later tritium dials with the raised glossy lume also.

I did once read that during the transition they started mixing Tritium with Super Luminova, this makes sense to me as I've seen quite a few with the glossy raised appearance of Luminova but T dial and colour of Tritium. I'm not talking about the incorrect T dials of which I used to own one btw.

They used tritium far later with the SBS than they did with the steel RN, it's the SBS models I'm describing my observations above.

I have a 2004 SBS with the flat thinner applied Tritium, I think most after that period have the thicker/glossier lume whatever the mix.

EDIT to put in an example, this isn't mine sadly(love the lume colour) and I just grabbed the pic from an eBay listing, but this is a 2008 and clearly Tritium, but see the glossy finish to the markers, is it a Tritium mix? I think likely.

^Damn I would love that one!

Anyway if you're looking for non-glossy markers I think 2006 and earlier would give you best results.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 17th January 2021 at 12:36.

Master
    I neve expected such a response, thank you.

I hanker after one as I was raised around a massive naval environment in the early 80s and all the chaps at the base seemed to have one (or a G10). That was my introduction to NATOs too as the officer who lived opposite used to bring them home for us.

I have tried G10 (Precista, MWC and CWC) but even though 36mm they seem to wear much smaller than, say, a Datejust. And none of 'em have had a second hand that hits the markers. That would concern me with the RN as I am bit unnecessarily anal about that. As I said I have had a Zeno PRS-3 and can't remember why I sold it except for perhaps the Ronda movement.

Anyway I've put a wtb out before I maybe splash out on a new one.

How about a Seiko Gen2 7T27-7A20 they made a navy version which had no lume, I think for submariners.

Seiko 7548 vs. CWC RN diver quartz

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, I always put it down to the change to SL but I have seen plenty of later tritium dials with the raised glossy lume also.

I did once read that during the transition they started mixing Tritium with Super Luminova, this makes sense to me as I've seen quite a few with the glossy raised appearance of Luminova but T dial and colour of Tritium. I'm not talking about the incorrect T dials of which I used to own one btw.

They used tritium far later with the SBS than they did with the steel RN, it's the SBS models I'm describing my observations above.

I have a 2004 SBS with the flat thinner applied Tritium, I think most after that period have the thicker/glossier lume whatever the mix.

EDIT to put in an example, this isn't mine sadly(love the lume colour) and I just grabbed the pic from an eBay listing, but this is a 2008 and clearly Tritium, but see the glossy finish to the markers, is it a Tritium mix? I think likely.

^Damn I would love that one!

Anyway if you're looking for non-glossy markers I think 2006 and earlier would give you best results.
    I have an 08 with the similar same colour plots. It’s not a mix, I am pretty sure it’s 100% tritium, the lume behaves exactly as a tritium dialled watch should. If exposed to light is glows but the glow dies down very quickly.
    For some reason they are not a glossy in real life
    The 08 SBS dials do go a nice colour (hands rarely match though)

08 SBS Tritium dial with puffy lume plots, a lot more Matt in appearance compared to the 1980 reissue.

12 Auto flat luminova - awful lume to be honest

1980 reissue they have really glossy lume that is quite puffy in appearance

These are expensive but they are a step up in quality, bezel action is better, sapphire crystal nicer finished case and different domed case back
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th January 2021 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have an 08 with the similar same colour plots. It’s not a mix, I am pretty sure it’s 100% tritium, the lume behaves exactly as a tritium dialled watch should. If exposed to light is glows but the glow dies down very quickly.
    For some reason they are not a glossy in real life
    The 08 SBS dials do go a nice colour (hands rarely match though)
    It's always interesting the variance with these. Like you say those 08's seen to have developed an incredible colour, that eBay one I pinched the pic from is stunning to my eyes. My '04 in contrast is more ivory and not far from the current C3 Luminova colour and I've noticed most from that early 2000's period have the same appearance(some are more green which I really like). Earlier and later Tritium seemed to have developed much more yellowy patina.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    How about a Seiko Gen2 7T27-7A20 they made a navy version which had no lume, I think for submariners.
    These are a great little Chronograph, small, thin and light. The non lume versions are like hens teeth and you will pay a pretty penny for one - if you can find one.

I would not recommend one as a daily wearer though
    Seiko have stopped supporting them and movements and crystals are becoming hard to get hold of. So much so that I have a bit of stash of parts just in case
    Civi versions are out there and are a bit cheaper than the issued examples, the price is rising though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    It's always interesting the variance with these. Like you say those 08's seen to have developed an incredible colour, that eBay one I pinched the pic from is stunning to my eyes. My '04 in contrast is more ivory and not far from the current C3 Luminova colour and I've noticed most from that early 2000's period have the same appearance(some are more green which I really like). Earlier and later Tritium seemed to have developed much more yellowy patina.
    I have a bit of a theory on how the colour of the lume developed.
    CWC were still selling 08 dated watches up to a couple of years ago. As such I think the completed watches sat in a box not exposed to light, This resulted in the dial developing the dark colour, the same has been noted on other tritium dialled watches. I could be wrong but I think that these were a slow seller has resulted in the colour of the lume plots.

Master
    I like the CWC, definitely a cool watch if you get one that has the right amount of patina.

I am a big Seiko fan, this is my 7548.