closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Burger Thread.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

The Burger Thread.

I do like a good burger and i wondered whether a thread dedicated to them might have legs? Of course it may not, In which case it will sink without trace!
    Anyhow,the idea is to present a burger recipe for others to try. Hopefully there can be nothing that invokes large scale arguing or playground tantrums within that premise.Hopefully

To kick off I present a pork scratching burger.

Using a toasted Brioche bun...

(////////////////////////)
    sprinkle on bashed up pork scratchings
    apple slaw
    pork burger
    apple sauce
    (///////////////////////)

Apple slaw:
    1 apple ,1/4 white cabbage,1 small red onion,4 radishes,1 tbsp mayo,1 tsp English mustard,1 tsp cider vinegar.
    Chop up and mix!

Master
    Sorry I am a heathen, BK or other local burger/kebab shop burgers all the way.

I dont have a recipe as such but i find that local butchers and farm shops have considerably better burgers than supermarkets.

I can get them for about 90p each in west wales but i imagine they rob you in Cities.

Master
    Failed already...Using a toasted Brioche bun... what the hell is that.

Be a man like us up north and shove it on a Bap

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do like a good burger myself.
    My own home made recipe:
    Trial and error quantities to find your own taste.
    500g of 20-25% fat minced beef,
    Estimates
    One to half an egg white
    1/2 Onion very finely sliced
    Chilly garlic salt and pepper
    Tomatoe and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to your taste.
    Dash of Mixed herbs
    Mix everything together a make a rustic burger to your size with your hands on a clean surface. Fry in a hot heavy base frying pan with a little oil for 30-40seconds on each side searing to a nice crispy dark brown colour. Reduce the heat and keep feeling the burger surface with your fingers until firm. Take out cover and allow to rest while toasting your bun. Then it’s up to you to build with salad, cheese, mustard, Mayo etc. Of your choice.
    A fried egg goes down while on top to.
    M

Here we go, the debate on bread names!

Personally I can’t get past Five Guys, and yes they aren’t homemade. Setting fire to the hob to get the correct crisped outside is too much hassle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Yup, stopped reading at brioche. Just waiting for some absolute danger to mention sourdough now for the TZ double

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Brioche? Mrs Rod makes our own burgers and they always go a bun 🍔

Absolutely, positively, definitively, categorically, definitely not on brioche.

I'll accept brioche if I have to but it's never my preference. Get it in a proper burger bun!

Don't really eat them over here but when in US I love a Steak 'n' shake burger.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Less is more but no brioche- absolute filth. Has to be a plain white bap toasted lightly.

Good quality mince squished in to a nice thick patty with salt and pepper for seasoning.
    Any cheap melty cheese is fine. Salty bacon of your choice
    Tomato sauce and that’s it.

Another rule is that once picked up it mustn’t be put down despite any fall out or sideways movement
    Oh and if you use a knife you need to hang your head in shame.

Prefer the mince placed as a ball onto the hot grill, then flattened to a thinner patty personally. Get a nice crust on each side which also gives the excuse to slip 2 onto each burger.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Anyhow,the idea is to present a burger recipe for others to try.!
    Obviously far too difficult a concept .

I’ll go.

20% fat mince.
    Finely chopped chilli mixed in.
    Swiss cheese.
    Lettuce, onion and tomato to garnish.
    Mustard on the bottom bun, ketchup top.

Master
    Been using these for a few years, pinched from Jamie Oliver.

Minced beef, local butcher is better but supermarket is fine, at least 10% fat.
    Crushed cream crackers.
    A little salt, more pepper.
    Chopped parsley.
    Some mustard.

Mix until combined but don't over work.
    Make the burger patty of what ever size you like, I prefer smaller.
    Cook as you like, I normally only have them in the summer and on the Weber over charcoal.
    Cheese is good, usually what ever I have at home. Raclette is very good.

I used to like brioche, but I'm finding them a little sweet now. So burger bun of choice. I've used ciabatta rolls in the past (they were in the freezer) and were pretty good too.

Mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, maybe all three. Lettuce, tomato, red onions, sometimes fried onions and/or mushrooms, occasionally bacon, gherkins, all optional, all good.

Greasy burger - white bun/bap. Luxury burger, brioche for the added sweetness for me.

500g-1000g 25%+ fat steak mince. Or have a butcher do 50/50 brisket and sirloin and mince it for you. Add seasoning of your choice/taste - if 1kg make into about 6 equal 6oz patties.

depending on how I feel, I’d either add pulled pork, and may a little crackling with an apple sauce. Or Canadian sweetcure bacon, with a burger mayo and a sweet onion relish, Monterey Jack (or a cheap American cheese slice), caramelised onions (sometimes with mushrooms), and a little ketchup. Home made deep fried crispy chips with lots of salt and vinegar. Oh and gherkin pickles - there’s always a couple of jars in the house.
    It's just a matter of time...

Baps, toasted Brioche buns? What fresh hell is this? Burgers go in a hunk of stottie with blue cheese and fried onions.
    F.T.F.A.

I use a dried onion soup mix in the mince when making burgers, one average packet in a Kg of beef mince, seems to go down well.

Sainsbury's Beef & Red Onion Burgers, Taste the Difference are the best supermarket burgers bar none.

Cooked in the gas Weber in all weathers. Served on a bbq toasted brioche with sliced beefsteak tomato, fresh lettuce and some Heinz burger relish.

Eating out:
    1. Gourmet Burger Kitchen
    2. Byron
    3. 5 Guys

Obviously far too difficult a concept .
    I think it's a great thread.

Give it time - they're always bumpy when they start.

My recipe is based purely on expediency.

Aberdeen Angus mince, a little mustard and onion. Shaped. Cooked. Plenty of salt and pepper. Possibly some mushrooms if they're in the fridge. Fresh bap. A slice of mature cheddar and a slice of tomato.

More mustard. Colman's.

Master
    I’m another brioche bap fan!

My homemade burger:
    Mince from butcher
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/4 onion very finely chopped
    Tbsp ketchup
    Dash of Tabasco
    1x egg
    1/2 slice bread blitzed
    Salt and pepper

All mixed by hand and made into thin patties

Cooked on the Weber, topped with grated cheddar, candied jalapeños and corn relish on a toasted brioche bap.

My experience of home made burgers is limited to my mum ( god rest her soul) sometimes making them when I was a kid instead of the McDonalds we wanted, they were not really very nice in comparison. Wish I could have one now though ☹️
    Cheers..
    Jase

I'm going to come across like a heathen but if you don't try it dont knock it.

Take a Krispy Kreme original donut and slice in half vertically. Place donuts icing side down on the pan for 20 seconds or so. Cook burger as usual plus bacon. Must have bacon. Dress burger in a way that the non sugar parts of the donut are on the outside where you will grab with your hands. Eat the burger, it will be awesome. Make sure you have the phone handy to call for an ambulance as well as coronary issues are nigh on guaranteed however this utter filth of a concoction is utterly delicious

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the brioche bun is massively overused. For a chicken burger, maybe. For beef, get that thing out of here. Falls apart if the meat is any good and drips a little fat.

I have to say that I generally don’t bother making the actual burger now as there are some damn good ones you can buy and save yourself some time.(Not to say I don’t occasionally make them)

Here’s another one based on raclette...

Using a toasted bun of your choosing...

(///////////////)
    .....sauce.....
    crispy prosciutto
    ....raclette....
    ..beef burger..
    shredded lettuce
    (//////////////)

Sauce :
    Mix 4 tablespoons mayo + 3 tsp American mustard + 6 chopped cornichons + 4 chopped silverskin pickled onions

Taleggio is a good alternative to the raclette.....pop it on the burger after cooking and grill to melt properly.

Uncle Sams, Ecclesall Road Sheffield.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Take a Krispy Kreme original donut and...
    What on Earth? I need a lie down.

Blog Entries
    So start off with a handcrafted roll using only the best hand milled flour, then take your organic beef from a local commune farm....................

Actually.....
    Birds Eye Original or Premium Beef Quarter Pounder Burger grilled, then a thick slice of Cathedral City Mature cheese melted on top. Into a fresh white crusty roll with some fried onions. Luvly jubbly.

Had all the home made and butchers special burgers etc and still come back to these. Always found burgers don't want to be too thick. Apart from the cooking all the way through issue, which is quite important, they're just too much like hard work to eat when they're over about 3/4" thick.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 16th January 2021 at 18:50.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    ?..... Apart from the cooking all the way through issue, which is quite important, they're just too much like hard work to eat when they're over about 3/4" thick.
    I think a decent burger doesn’t want to be ‘well done’ but needs to be nice and juicy inside and run everywhere when you eat it (beef that is,and even pork to a degree...not chicken).

Greasy Black Angus burgers, at least half an inch thick. The key to the perfect patty starts with proper seasoning. I like to use smoked Maldon ground down in a mortar with some whole black peppers. It needs to be applied generously. Most importantly you should roll the sides of the patty in the seasoning, as you can’t do it afterwards. I’ll grill it on a piping hot BBQ to medium rare. About 30 seconds before the patties are done, I’ll add a slice of extra mature cheddar on top.

I like to bake my own white wheat buns with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. It’s important to season the buns with salt before toasting them on the BBQ.

-Bottom bun
    -Maille honey mustard
    -Burger & cheese
    -Lightly sautéed onions
    -Smoky American style bacon (1-2 strips cut in two)
    -Lidl Freshona brand gerkhin slices (2-3 thin slices)
    -Chipotle chili mayo (I’ll use Hellman’s Tabasco mayo in a pinch)
    -Top bun (with a splash of ketchup if you really insist)

Let it rest a couple of minutes before serving with a side of fries (chips if you insist) and some sweet coleslaw. About as basic as a burger can be, but heavenly if done right.

If I want to play with it, I’ll, substitute bacon with a slice or two of tomato, cheddar with feta, mayo with tzatziki and use some oregano when seasoning the burgers.

I used to make burgers when the kids still lived at home. Minced beef, breadcrumbs, chopped onion (lightly fried), garlic and English mustard all bound together with an egg yolk or two. Form into patties as required and fry or oven bake to taste. White bread bap or roll, with cheddar cheese, tomato and Worcester sauce as required. The kids didn't like any additions but I do like thinly sliced tomatoes, a raw onion slice and lettuce in the burger.

Master
    I think a decent burger doesn’t want to be ‘well done’ but needs to be nice and juicy inside and run everywhere when you eat it (beef that is,and even pork to a degree...not chicken).
    Agree. I prefer a well done crunchy outside but pink middle. Not rare, but just turning from pink. Easy enough to do on a
    slightly-hotter-than-it-should-be BBQ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Agree. I prefer a well done crunchy outside but pink middle. Not rare, but just turning from pink. Easy enough to do on a
    slightly-hotter-than-it-should-be BBQ
    Having had food poisoning from an undercooked burger in a pub (that's how our customers like them sir, pink in the middle!) I can tell you that you're risking being very ill by not cooking burgers through properly. 3 days I'd rather not repeat.

"Why a burger isn't like a steak
    Harmful bacteria can be carried on the surface of whole cuts of meat. When a rare steak is seared these bacteria are killed, making the steak safe to eat.

When meat is minced to produce burgers, any harmful bacteria from the surface of the raw meat spread throughout the burger. Unless the burger is cooked right through, these bacteria can remain alive on the inside. This applies to all burgers, including burgers made from good quality or expensive meat.

That's why a burger needs to be served well done, while a steak can be served rare."

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

You are taking a risk walking out your front door. I would rather eat something tasty than something overcooked. I’ve managed to get through a fair few decades without getting food poisoning from a burger so I’m prepared to take that
    chance.
    Each to their own though.

Your actual burger patty only ever needs salt and pepper, no onions, no nuffink. Just seasoning. Start with that and you’re in a good place.

Master
    You see I'm in the brioche camp, much prefer that. I've been to so many country shows whose food stalls advertise their wonderful burgers (which often they are) only to put them in a dreadful white pappy bun which has clearly come in a batch of several hundred from the wholesaler. Suggest they get their burgers there and they'd look at you oddly so don't buy the damn buns there either!
    I'd much rather pay a bit more and have someone put the same amount of effort into the bread as they do into the burger.
    Off the shelf brioche or ciabatta work much better for me than the generic white burger bun but actually I'd rather find a half decent bakery but there are fairly sparse.

Master
    Having had food poisoning from an undercooked burger in a pub (that's how our customers like them sir, pink in the middle!) I can tell you that you're risking being very ill by not cooking burgers through properly. 3 days I'd rather not repeat.
    Yet people have been eating steak tartare for centuries and survived.

I wouldn’t do it with mince from Asda granted. But fresh mince from my trusted butcher, no problem.

Have yet to poison myself (or the fam) and I’ve been cooking them “medium” for 20 years.

The brioche level of this thread is rather worrying.

For me two things make a good burger:

1. Really good steak mince - we get ours from the local butcher;

2. A perfect soft bun - I use this Dan Lepard recipe, it’s quite weird but works brilliantly: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...s.foodanddrink

For the patty, just add salt, pepper and a dash of your favourite chilli sauce, big fans of chipotle either the South Devon Chilli Farm or the Tabasco version.

Construction must include slow cooked caramelised onions, cheese and avocado and usually more chilli sauce.

Master
    I’ll have to give that a go... ...is it a takeaway?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Uncle Sams, Ecclesall Road Sheffield.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I do like a good burger myself.
    My own home made recipe:
    Trial and error quantities to find your own taste.
    500g of 20-25% fat minced beef,
    Estimates
    One to half an egg white
    1/2 Onion very finely sliced
    Chilly garlic salt and pepper
    Tomatoe and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to your taste.
    Dash of Mixed herbs
    Mix everything together a make a rustic burger to your size with your hands on a clean surface. Fry in a hot heavy base frying pan with a little oil for 30-40seconds on each side searing to a nice crispy dark brown colour. Reduce the heat and keep feeling the burger surface with your fingers until firm. Take out cover and allow to rest while toasting your bun. Then it’s up to you to build with salad, cheese, mustard, Mayo etc. Of your choice.
    A fried egg goes down while on top to.
    M
    Everything apart from the egg white, it isn't needed to bind with 20-25% fat, salt & pepper on the outer edges only prior to hitting the heat.

Rest is great, nobody seems to remember that with a burger!

Y Stabalu pub in Betws-y-Coed does a fine burger called ‘The Snowdon’. Fond memories of enjoying one while on a camping/walking trip a number of year ago.

“The Snowdon – climb it at your peril… 16oz’s of prime Welsh beef smothered with layers of Welsh rarebit.”
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 16th January 2021 at 22:05.

Master

For something different this Loco Moco burger recipe is really good

"Why a burger isn't like a steak
    Harmful bacteria can be carried on the surface of whole cuts of meat. When a rare steak is seared these bacteria are killed, making the steak safe to eat.

When meat is minced to produce burgers, any harmful bacteria from the surface of the raw meat spread throughout the burger. Unless the burger is cooked right through, these bacteria can remain alive on the inside. This applies to all burgers, including burgers made from good quality or expensive meat.

That's why a burger needs to be served well done, while a steak can be served rare."

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers

There’s potentially nothing wrong with a pink middle burger - there’s a risk if it hasn’t been cooked properly and or heated enough - but there’s a difference. Again like above, if I didn’t know trust where I was having my burger then I would have it medium, but at a Byron, or at home, them I’m not overlooking my burgers, and I have never had food poisoning from beef on my life (fingers crossed), and eat a lot of it every week, as steaks, or homemade rissoles or burgers.

A properly made undercooked burger can’t be worse than steak tartare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A properly made undercooked burger can’t be worse than steak tartare.
    Tartare should only really be made with a high quality fillet/tenderloin, and some preparations can effectively make it a lot safer, adding salt or other ingredients for example. Burgers are t really the same, but if bought from a good butcher, then you’d expect a high level of good hygiene, and it’s a very low risk - I’d be more worried about the raw egg on top, and I used to drink between 6 and 12 of those a day too - take that Edwina ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Tartare should only really be made with a high quality fillet/tenderloin, and some preparations can effectively make it a lot safer, adding salt or other ingredients for example. Burgers are t really the same, but if bought from a good butcher, then you’d expect a high level of good hygiene, and it’s a very low risk - I’d be more worried about the raw egg on top, and I used to drink between 6 and 12 of those a day too - take that Edwina ;)
    Salt is only added when serving but was really thinking of making own mince for burger.

Never fancied tartare TBH but eggs don’t worry me, safer than they used to be!

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I’ll have to give that a go... ...is it a takeaway?
    I believe it currently is.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

www.manarestaurant.co.uk

The food here is exemplary. Manchester’s first Michelin starred restaurant in forever and they are producing 100 burgers a day for takeaway.
    We’ve managed to book a couple for the 29 th of January.