closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Burger Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    This thread is very thin on pictures!!!

I'm a simple man, burger, bacon, Stilton. If not Stilton, mature cheddar with a strong English mustard. Brioche bun also. All preferably cooked on the BBQ!

The pic with the blue cheese is Venison burger with Roquefort, also an excellent combo.

that looks amazing. The ingredients absolutely perfect for me!

My local posh farm shop sells amazing buffalo meat burgers.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    ...I never knew until I experienced it how bad food poisoning can be. I’m not talking a tummy ache and the trots, believe me it can be very scary...
    Dragging this off-topic again but I used to have a girlfriend who worked at a food safety lab. They had a staff room on the first floor with a fridge in it for packed lunches etc. They also had a fridge in the cellar where they kept the reference cultures of various types of salmonella and other nasties. Some of these would give you the squits for a couple of days. Some would blind you, some would paralyse you and some would kill you.

The glass washer, a local lad, also worked in the cellar (washing all the glassware etc) and kept his sandwiches in the fridge down there (having got a key from somewhere). He was warned once about it and sacked on the spot the second time the lab manager saw his butties in there. He genuinely didn't see the problem as they were sealed in a tupperware box.

I don’t think I should share my experience of working for 1 night only in a kebab shop whilst at college.

1 night was enough to scare the hell out of me as I was studying microbiology at the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are still not going to put me off stopping off for a kebab every time I pass one after a night out drinking though ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You are still not going to put me off stopping off for a kebab every time I pass one after a night out drinking though ;)
    As long as you have had at least 6 pints then I am sure you will be safe!

The big danger is bought mince meat - it has lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on, and the bits that end up in the middle of the burger aren't going to get hot enough to kill the bacteria.

If you mince your own steak immediately before cooking, then the risk is reduced but still present.

Whoops, fake news. See post 110
    Last edited by hogthrob; 18th January 2021 at 01:27.

... and to make a more positive contribution, home made burger sauce: start with equal quantites of ketchup and mayo and and a squirt of American mustard. Mix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The big danger is bought mince meat - it has lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on, and the bits that end up in the middle of the burger aren't going to get hot enough to kill the bacteria.

If you mince your own steak immediately before cooking, then the risk is reduced but still present.
    Thats not true I'm afraid. It's the actual act of mincing the steak which ensures any bacteria on the outside of the steak ends up in the middle.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    ... and to make a more positive contribution, home made burger sauce: start with equal quantites of ketchup and mayo and and a squirt of American mustard. Mix.
    Try English Mustard with Tomato Ketchup.

Thats not true I'm afraid. It's the actual act of mincing the steak which ensures any bacteria on the outside of the steak ends up in the middle.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers
    Pah! Coming here making arguments with your facts. Still, a good point, well made. I stand corrected.

Blog Entries
    Pah! Coming here making arguments with your facts. Still, a good point, well made. I stand corrected.
    Ha ha! Thanks for at least taking the time to read the info, hope it helps.

Here in Canada I liked Harveys till the closest one closed down. When McDonalds advertised Angus bacon and cheddar. Started eating those until covid prevented delivery of the beef.

I make my own when needed.

Lean ground beef, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, egg and matza meld (to bind). Sesame seed bun. Ketchup and lettuce or bacon and cheese. Fries on the side

My brother has been driving all over the city (pre covide) checking out all the burger places and keeping a record on who makes the best. No matter how good. I'm not interested in driving to the outer edges of the city for a hamburger

DON

Grand Master
    We here in Hull are made of hardy stuff: salmonella doesn’t frighten us lercals.
    Hull Fair, 2nd Friday,
    Burgers have been broiling for a week, served with fried onions so burnt they are almost treacle. Then hit the rides, a Hull rite of passage! https://youtu.be/HeVYkxMwbR8

Or remember these as a kid? It’s how I thought burgers came until the above right of passage, served with garden peas and mash.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/t...y/910001058412

But these days I buy mine here, proper bread bun strong cheddar, thinly sliced tomato and a good chutney
    https://www.fieldsonline.co.uk/produ...risket-burger/
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Ha ha ha I know! To be honest I just wanted to let people know that it could be iffy if they were undercooked, didn't think it would offend anyone.
    Apologies, I was clearly grumpy yesterday in dry and diet January! Agree with the post lower down on undercooked / badly cooked though.

Rather take the risk on a burger than a sausage med rare though! .

The one I still am working on coming to terms with is pink pork, as that was always the one drilled into us about being bad (well after chicken!)

I’m going to be trying smash burgers once the diet is over, always liked the idea but never got around to it.

BGE has a burger recipe for a half pounder where you grill each side & leave with lid down for a few minutes. They say don’t cook on the temp but the time. Clearly there is the requirement to follow the recipe, one being the cast iron grill....I used the stainless one as didn’t read.

First time I did the burger it was epic with the cast iron. Second time, after dressing all the toppings etc on the burger, we bit into it & still cold inside. I like it med rare, but also like it warm!

Another great burger was at Reds BBQ where they served it with a donut either side instead of a bun. Sounds awful, was bloody marvellous & repeated a few times at home, not diet food though, 3,000 calories from memory with chips.

Blog Entries
    1/4 lb patty cooked through can always have another if really hungry ( i had a bad experience with a rare burger in France ) on a lightly toasted bun definitely not a brioche cheddar cheese and that’s it none of the other junk ie lettuce ,tomato,pickle,onion etc though BK used to do a very nice mushroom double Swiss back in the day.Cannot stand all that messing with a burger falling to bits usually down my shirt front.
    Last edited by mart broad; 18th January 2021 at 16:13.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Too dirty a dirty burger is too much, hate it when I have to use a knife and fork!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    ....etc though BK used to do a very nice mushroom double Swiss back in the day.
    Ah,the mushroom double Swiss! There was a BK just outside a club I used to get dragged into regularly so always had a mushroom double Swiss for the walk home.

It would be easy enough to do something like it.

I’d say cook some sliced button ‘shrooms in a little butter then add some chicken stock & double cream and cook till nice and gloopy.
    Cook the burger and melt a good slab of Emmental over it...stick it in a bun and spoon the mushroom mix over the top.
    Last edited by village; 18th January 2021 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Ah,the mushroom double Swiss! There was a BK just outside a club I used to get dragged into regularly so always had a mushroom double Swiss for the walk home.

It would be easy enough to do something like it.

I’d say cook some sliced button ‘shrooms in a little butter then add some chicken stock & double cream and cook till nice and gloopy.
    Cook the burger and melt a good slab of Emmental over it...stick it in a bun and spoon the mushroom mix over the top.
    I'm reading this sat here quite hungry knowing we're having mushroom risotto tonight.
    Mrs MCH makes a decent mushroom risotto but I know what I'd rather be having.

Tried all of those fancy Dan recipes and gone full circle back to 15-20% fat steak mince, finely chopped onion, salt & pepper. A thick slice of blue cheese on the last flip of the burger and cover the pan with foil until the cheese melts. Lettuce, a thin slice of red onion, ketchup, American mustard, burger sauce in any decent toasted bun.

Not a fan of hi-street takeaways but we’re both partial to a 5 Guys.
    Last edited by bigvic; 18th January 2021 at 22:56.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Too dirty a dirty burger is too much, hate it when I have to use a knife and fork!

+1, i HATE having to dismantle a burger to eat it!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Not a fan of hi-street takeaways but we’re both partial to a 5 Guys.
    Have one once in a while. Milkshake is always the best part but it never feels worth the money. A fried egg in one would be a game changer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    +1, i HATE having to dismantle a burger to eat it!
    Yes this. If you can’t bite it it’s too thick I reckon.

The perfect burger that I make.

Fry some smoked streaky bacon in pepper sauce - a decent Caribbean pepper sauce not tabasco

Then keep it simple, bun with a little tomato sauce, mayo and raw onions (red) on the bottom. Then the burger patty, then the bacon and top with a little rocket. You can still eat it without having to cut it up or take it apart.

I love it, it is simple and the smokey spicy bacon with the slightly peppery rocket really sets off the burger.
    Last edited by NikGixer750; 19th January 2021 at 14:51.

I think I’ll give that a try, albeit I’ll use some mustard instead of tomato sauce.

Am I one of the few that can’t stand lettuce next to any meat? Also not a fan of raw onion, but love onions cooked until soft a slightly caramelised.

Am I one of the few that can’t stand lettuce next to any meat? Also not a fan of raw onion, but love onions cooked until soft a slightly caramelised.
    I’m of the view that salad has no place on a burger.

Bun: Oven bottom muffin or English muffin (good size and shape)
    Patty: Beef, salt, pepper, maybe a little onion and chilli for flavour
    Cheese: something like cheddar if not melting, dirty sliced cheese if melting
    Extras: well done crispy bacon, sauce, nothing too overpowering.

Salad??? You can stick your salad sunshine, its not wanted.

I think lettuce is fine if it’s something like Little Gem....your common or garden lettuce can be a bit limp I agree.
    I do like raw onion anyway, and on the right burger definitely adds something,whether it’s Spanish/brown or Red. However, what’s not to like about about nicely caramelised onions!

Blog Entries
    “ I’m of the view that salad has no place on a burger. ”

^ This and if onion then caramelised never raw.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Dragging this off-topic again but I used to have a girlfriend who worked at a food safety lab. They had a staff room on the first floor with a fridge in it for packed lunches etc. They also had a fridge in the cellar where they kept the reference cultures of various types of salmonella and other nasties. Some of these would give you the squits for a couple of days. Some would blind you, some would paralyse you and some would kill you.

The glass washer, a local lad, also worked in the cellar (washing all the glassware etc) and kept his sandwiches in the fridge down there (having got a key from somewhere). He was warned once about it and sacked on the spot the second time the lab manager saw his butties in there. He genuinely didn't see the problem as they were sealed in a tupperware box.
    That's brought back a few memories. My first job was in the Microbiology lab at the old Cov and Warwick Hospital in Coventry, now demolished. One of the rooms was the Food Hygiene lab and we used to get all sorts in for testing, routine testing so no suggestion of anything amiss. There were huge cakes/pastries, all sorts. When it was getting close to lunchtime it was sorely tempting. The really galling thing was that we only used a tiny sample to test and the rest went in the bin.... I never did succumb to temptation (it had been discussed in detail just what could happen (as above) and what would happen (shut the door on your way out and don't come back) but it just seemed such a waste!!
    Sorry OT..

Fruit in a burger? Discuss

Wouldn’t have been high on my list but I found this recipe for a burger which has piqued my interest.
    Basically you make a burger Patty using beef,ginger,spring onions,carrot,soy sauce & sriracha. You make a teriyaki sauce but incorporate pineapple juice into it.
    Burger is constructed : bun/lettuce/burger/teriyaki sauce/grilled pineapple ring/bun

It actually looks quite good so might give it a whirl.

Grand Master
    Fruit in a burger? Discuss

Wouldn’t have been high on my list but I found this recipe for a burger which has piqued my interest.
    Basically you make a burger Patty using beef,ginger,spring onions,carrot,soy sauce & sriracha. You make a teriyaki sauce but incorporate pineapple juice into it.
    Burger is constructed : bun/lettuce/burger/teriyaki sauce/grilled pineapple ring/bun

It actually looks quite good so might give it a whirl.
    I’m quite partial to a Hawaiian Burger every now and then after a few pints normal burger with a fried pineapple ring atop the Shergar pattie! The other half, who is allergic to pineapple, disowns me for days afterwards as an added bonus.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

^ I think that is straining the definition of a burger somewhat 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Always cheese and pineapple in the chicken in pita if I go to Nandos. Delicious.

Tomato and gherkin quite popular.

When I was a kid the first proper handmade burger I had was indeed a Hawaiian at a place called Radar's in Aberdeen - pineapple ring AND a glacé cherry in the middle iirc.

An offshoot of COVID has been restaurants shipping meal kits around the country. I ordered one of these from a place called Dirty Bones (via a site called Plateaway)

Mac Daddy

Double cheeseburger with a layer of bbq pulled pork and topped with a layer of mac’n’cheese.

Fantastic!

Blog Entries
    What’s a ‘meal kit’?

What’s a ‘meal kit’?
    I’m still trying to work out the Mac and cheese aspect.
    Cheers..
    Jase

An offshoot of COVID has been restaurants shipping meal kits around the country. I ordered one of these from a place called Dirty Bones (via a site called Plateaway)

Mac Daddy

Double cheeseburger with a layer of bbq pulled pork and topped with a layer of mac’n’cheese.

Fantastic!

I could quite happily eat one or two of those right now - but I’m saving my self for a full English tomorrow ;)

I'm really not sure that macaroni would add anything to a burger.

Blog Entries
    Agree on raw onion and raw peppers, unedible raw and delicious sautéed.

Journeyman
    i love medium/ rare burgers but i would never cook them this way unless i know the meat source - same with steak tartare

there are a few specialist butchers who sell meat certified to be eaten raw or cooked rare - but the beef is very expensive

i'm a bit of a foodie/amateur chef so know my food and anything raw has to be absolutely the best certified food be it meat or fish

i know fresh wild salmon the best as for nearly ten years i was a sporting agent with over 2 miles of the river Tay so i got my fish fresh from the river but for Sushi i followed the Japanese and froze it solid for a week before defrosting and making Sushi

Craftsman
    After much experimenting I keep my burgers simple - Costco Aberdeen Angus mince, salt, pepper, dried onion granules/powder. Crispy bacon and fried egg if I’m feeling decadent.

For me the cheese is key….a big slice of Mexicana melted on top.

My wife’s fav is my Boursin Burger… which is the same as above but stuffed with Boursin cheese (and topped with cheddar)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Agree on raw onion and raw peppers, unedible raw and delicious sautéed.
    the only onions i like raw are red onions very thinly sliced with a Mandolin - some really good 'banana' shallots are good raw

i'm a fairly experienced amateur cook and know onions very well and the various cooking methods preferring classic French coking styles

best onion by a country mile are Roscoff onions - they caramelise beautifully and are good raw

raw peppers are fine with me - green preferred
    Last edited by nick h; 6th February 2021 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post

best onion by a country mile are Roscoff onions - they caramelise beautifully and are good raw

raw peppers are fine with me - green preferred
    They definitely caramelise very nicely :)

I just can’t do the green peppers raw though, and they should have no place near my burgers; maybe as part of a fajita mix ;)

I have a real issue with the taste of most green vegetables, unless they are cooked well - lettuce, garden peas etc. I just can’t eat because of a metallic taste the chlorophyll gives off for me; so much so I can still taste it even if I remove lettuce from a burger before eating it - as it’s a regular occurrence that cafes etc. forget to carry out my request to leave it off.

They definitely caramelise very nicely :)

I just can’t do the green peppers raw though, and they should have no place near my burgers; maybe as part of a fajita mix ;)

I have a real issue with the taste of most green vegetables, unless they are cooked well - lettuce, garden peas etc. I just can’t eat because of a metallic taste the chlorophyll gives off for me; so much so I can still taste it even if I remove lettuce from a burger before eating it - as it’s a regular occurrence that cafes etc. forget to carry out my request to leave it off.
    I have that metallic taste as well with certain veg. Mostly raw green pepper and celery. I didn't realise it was an actual thing though and thought it was just me being me. Off to call my mum now and tell her there is a proper reason why I didn't eat some veg.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I'm really not sure that macaroni would add anything to a burger.
    It did in this case!

It’s bloody awful, Stu, and no one else in my family is affected by it, so you’re made to feel a bit strange.

I have some memories of my childhood, being woken up/grabbed out of bed after my father returned from a nightshift angry, as earlier I had refused to finish my veg for my mother. No doubt he got home and was immediately advised of the bad behaviour. I’d then be beaten, sat back down at the kitchen table and made to finish off the cold veg, and then sent back to bed - it was fairly traumatic.

This probably ticks all of the dislike boxes but i don't care.

I made them, pretty much from scratch (I bought the ingredients and the buns)

They were delicious.

The family have regularly asked me to make them again.