closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone ever get their Seiko quartz (Tuna) serviced?

Does anyone ever get their Seiko quartz (Tuna) serviced?

I'm on the lookout for a 015 Tuna and will potentially make it a real keeper hopefully so interested in paying for a proper service test if/when I find one. People talk of battery changes etc and maybe gasket and depth testing but aside from that I'm presuming the moving parts of high spec quartz movements need cleaning and lubing just the same as autos maybe less frequently and less involved of course?

Do owners here bother? What's involved and who do you trust and pay £'s roughly please?

My first thought would be to contact Seiko UK for this.

Guy or Duncan are the guys to service a Tuna. Both are highly recommended.

Thanks - guessing by the lack of replies (but many Tuna owners on here) that indeed most don't get them serviced! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Thanks - guessing by the lack of replies (but many Tuna owners on here) that indeed most don't get them serviced! :D
    I think they are a robust watch with an excellent movement, unless it’s loosing time or has an issue I would have thought a battery change is all that is needed. Mine is due a battery change next year. (According to the case back markings) As long as it’s waterproof afterwards I will be happy, I have no plans to get it serviced at the same time.

Master
    Have used both Guy and Duncan,both excellent .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Have used both Guy and Duncan,both excellent .
    Thanks - out of interest can you share what was done and approx cost?

And of course I fully understand if you would prefer not to. :)

I don't think Seiko state a specific recommended service interval for the 7C46 caliber. As mentioned above, as long as the movement doesn't develop any signs of irregularities, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers chaps.

If it's a 7C46 calibre Tuna you go for, it would have many, many years of daily wear before needing serviced. If you go for a vintage Tuna like a 7549 then that may need serviced. (Duncan and Guy are the guys in that case).

Tuna's are pretty bullet proof. The only real maintenance is battery changes and a new case back gasket every four years or so. That would also involve a pressure test. Just buy one, enjoy wearing it and forget about it.

Thanks - yes, would be the 7C46 - biggest issue is getting hold on one (015) for sale I think. :-)

I bought my SBNN007 in 2009 when this model was discontinued and the following generation of Tunas like the SBBN015 was introduced.
    The only "service" it has had since then was a new battery and pressure test from a local watchmaker. IIRC the original battery lasted 7 or 8 years, so even Seiko's 5-year battery life rating for the 7C46 appears to be conservative. ;-)
    When the next battery change is due, I'll probably do it myself and get a new caseback gasket just for peace of mind.